shape
carat
color
clarity

A pink Sapphire Ring opportunity

jewelrycollector

Rough_Rock
I have an opportunity to purchase a Pink Sapphire Ring. I have been searching and REsearching a long time.
A family friend has put one together for us and I want to make sure it is a fair price.

It is a 3.58cttw pink sapphire center. It shows indiacations of heat treatment only (I am okay with the heat treatment). It is a "bubble gum" pink or a darker pink stone. (I had never heard the term "bubble Gum" pink before).

The side stones are .70cttw G VS trapaziod sides. It is set in a solid Platinum setting.
It is quite attractive in person.
What should a ring like this cost? We've been quoted $6000.

I hope I've attacted the pictures properly. They don't quite show the color of the sapphire perfectly.
Any and all opinions are appreciated!

ring sapphire (2).JPG

ring sapphire.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewelrycollector|1325966386|3097368 said:
I have an opportunity to purchase a Pink Sapphire Ring. I have been searching and REsearching a long time.
A family friend has put one together for us and I want to make sure it is a fair price.

It is a 3.58cttw pink sapphire center. It shows indiacations of heat treatment only (I am okay with the heat treatment). It is a "bubble gum" pink or a darker pink stone. (I had never heard the term "bubble Gum" pink before).

The side stones are .70cttw G VS trapaziod sides. It is set in a solid Platinum setting.
It is quite attractive in person.
What should a ring like this cost? We've been quoted $6000.

I hope I've attacted the pictures properly. They don't quite show the color of the sapphire perfectly.
Any and all opinions are appreciated!

Heat treatment can also mean diffusion, in which case it should be worth ten times less. I wish I had a dime for each time I warned people about this, and why you should always get a sapphire or any corundum with a lab report ruling out diffusion. It can say "indications of heating" but still be diffused.

If it's only heated, and not diffused, than $6K is a fair price for the whole ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewelrycollector|1325980942|3097496 said:
TL

The stone is not diffused. Thank you for your comments.

May I ask how you know please?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
It is a deep pink but it isn't bubble gum pink. I imagine that it got that name from the colour of those ubiquitous bubblegum pieces that were this odd shade of pink, which seems pleasing in diamonds/sapphires.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would not spend $6000 on a sapphire ring without a report from either GIA or AGL stating that the sapphire showed no evidence of treatment other than heat. The vendor's word would not be sufficient for me, and neither would a report from a lab other than the two named. Especially for a pink sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1325998681|3097709 said:
Personally, I would not spend $6000 on a sapphire ring without a report from either GIA or AGL stating that the sapphire showed no evidence of treatment other than heat. The vendor's word would not be sufficient for me, and neither would a report from a lab other than the two named. Especially for a pink sapphire.

Ditto.

jewelrycollector

Rough_Rock
The friend that helped with this ring is a GIA appraiser.

As stated in my first post, my primary concern was for pricing and not legitimacy of the stone.

Being a family friend I do not want to take advantage and likewise I want to make sure its a fair deal.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewelrycollector|1326116238|3098412 said:

As stated in my first post, my primary concern was for pricing and not legitimacy of the stone.

Being a family friend I do not want to take advantage and likewise I want to make sure its a fair deal.

Not all diffusion can be identified by a gemologist without sufficient equipment. I would send it to AGL to be sure. Also beware that he may have found indications of heating, but that also means it can be diffused, and he simply cannot identify it. If its diffused, which pink sapphires often are, then the stone is probably worth $600. If it's not, than the ring is probably worth more, and as I stated, $6K is a fair price. Not a "deal" or a "bargain," but a fair retail price. Hope that helps. Your photos do not show a very saturated stone, if they are accurate.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

The pricing and the treatment status of the sapphire are inextricably tied together. Pink sapphires are one of the colors that are commonly diffused. Very knowledgeable and trusted professionals have occasionally unknowingly sold a pink sapphire as being untreated or heat only, and it later turned out to be diffused. If you were asking about a sapphire that you were only going to pay $200 for, I'd say buy it and enjoy it. Since the price tag is much higher, the only way to determine if you are getting a fair deal is to send the sapphire off to be tested by AGL. At $6000, for a sapphire of that color, you are definitely not taking advantage of your family friend.

In my opinion, a competent appraiser would prefer to have a full report from AGL or GIA for any heated sapphire. The appraiser I use recommends it, because the impact on value between unheated/heated/diffused is so dramatic.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1326120873|3098455 said:

The pricing and the treatment status of the sapphire are inextricably tied together. Pink sapphires are one of the colors that are commonly diffused. Very knowledgeable and trusted professionals have occasionally unknowingly sold a pink sapphire as being untreated or heat only, and it later turned out to be diffused. If you were asking about a sapphire that you were only going to pay $200 for, I'd say buy it and enjoy it. Since the price tag is much higher, the only way to determine if you are getting a fair deal is to send the sapphire off to be tested by AGL. At $6000, for a sapphire of that color, you are definitely not taking advantage of your family friend.

In my opinion, a competent appraiser would prefer to have a full report from AGL or GIA for any heated sapphire. The appraiser I use recommends it, because the impact on value between unheated/heated/diffused is so dramatic.

Ditto, especially for the bolded points.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To make the correct valuation of a sapphire, its best to have some sort of report from AGL or GIA then have an appraisal done.

I have to admit I couldn't tell you that the amount is fair because I dont know the particulars behind the stone. An independent appraiser worth their salt and up on treatments will also want to know if the stone has a report on it as well, because they wouldn't make the right valuation without it. (just went through this in December)

So without something concrete, you have to decide if 6K is really worth it for you. I personally would be willing to get a bit more hard information before committing, but thats just me.

Good luck.

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results