shape
carat
color
clarity

A bezel set garnet bracelet? Advice needed please.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you might be able to help me with a custom made bracelet. Basically it takes inspiration from a well known jewellery brand and their "sweet" bracelet line. I really like the design however I'd like to own something slightly more personal to me. I'd like to use a garnet approx 10mm across.

So here's where I need some help. Can this be done? Can you set a decent cut 10mm garnet in a solid gold bezel setting and affix a chain and wear it as a bracelet? It's the depth of the garnet that concerns me this may not be doable, and also the garnet crown being exposed to almost daily bracelet wear.

With these things in mind would it be better to go for something flatter, maybe uncut garnet? Or cabochon garnet?

I'm already in touch with the jeweller and waiting for a quote for the labour and gold. In your expert advice which would be better, 14k gold or 18k gold? I'd love to go with 18k (rose gold) but is wear and tear an issue if it's a bracelet?

Thank you in advance! This is a 30th birthday present to me from me and I have the funds to start at once so very exvited :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 10 mm garnet is likely to have a 13 mm depth, so it will sit at least that high on the wrist, which makes it prone to being banged around. It would also require a very thick and/or wide chain to hold it safely. A cuff is likely to provide better support for such a large stone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about bezel-setting the stone in a bangle like this one?

2_1_10.jpg

That's what I would do with my 10mm precision cut white topaz.

DK :))

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for your replies. I agree with you, a single stone is going to sit too proud. The bangle idea is a good one I hadn't thought of that. I'd like to go for a delicate look so if I keep the bangle round rather than flat, and perhaps add some milligrain?

The other option is maybe to set numerous small rounds into the shape I want?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The issue with a round bangle is that, it will turn on the wrist and risk the stone banging on the table etc...

A flat bangle will prevent it from turning, therefore, safer for the stone, IMHO.

DK :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You can post the specifics of the jewelry line you like so we can help you more

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results