shape
carat
color
clarity

9.6 ct Paraiba Tourmaline on E-Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Under ''Other Loose Gemstones'', E-Bay shows a 9.6 carat Paraiba Tourmaline. I have yet to see Paraiba Tourmalines in their physical form. Is that teal blue stone, described as dazzling, with an appraised value of $900 how an extremely desirable Paraiba Tourmaline should look like?

Also, $900 for a 9.6 carat Paraiba Tourmaline means the cost is less than $100 per carat. The current bid is $50. I can''t help feeling inadequate.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
there are varying grades of the stuff. top paraiba is indeed very expensive. that stone is a heavily included, carving quality stone, though the color is nice. by no stretch of the imagination is it what the best stuff looks like. the best stones are eye-clean and a vivid, electric, slightly greenish-blue.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/7/2004 2:10:35 AM Cave Keeper wrote:

I have yet to see Paraiba Tourmalines in their physical form. ...----------------

Can't help with that, but here's a small one with a more realistic price: LINK.

Paraiba or no Paraiba, it still is color, clarity and overall appearance (shape, cut...) that makes a stone desirable.
5.gif
Something like the picture down HERE tries to show.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cave Keeper,

Here is pic showing a sample of some top of the line paraiba, just for comparison purposes.

paraiba suite.jpg

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/7/2004 6:22:53 PM valeria101 wrote:

----------------
On 7/7/2004 2:10:35 AM Cave Keeper wrote:

I have yet to see Paraiba Tourmalines in their physical form. ...----------------
Can't help with that, but here's a small one with a more realistic price: LINK.
:
----------------

Hey, many thanks for the 2 links. The jewelryexpert.com site was pretty interesting as this is the first time I've seen how a trilliant cut can be used, and set as the only stone on a ring also; reminds me of a knight's coat of arms. Very nice.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/7/2004 6:23:40 PM Matata wrote:

Cave Keeper,
Here is pic showing a sample of some top of the line paraiba, just for comparison purposes.----------------

Hmm, seems to me Paraiba Tourmaline looks similar to Aquamarine for the light blue variety and a good Tanzanite in its bluer form for the darker blue variety as shown in the photo. Can't help feeling Paraiba Tourmaline is not my thing after all. I mean, for all that money, one might be able to acquire a much larger Aquamarine in its more desirable darker color, or Tanzanite in its medium blue form, or, perhaps(?) even a good-sized Cornflour Blue Sapphire. 8^6

Anyway, thanks, Matata, as what you showed me does help let me know how what experts consider to be superior specimens of the stone should look like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results