shape
carat
color
clarity

7mm peridot with 5.6mm moonstones?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, I was thinking of customizing a 3 stone ring. My centre stone is a 7mm round Pakistan Peridot from Barry and I have a pair of 5.6mm round moonstone cabochon with blue sheen (under sunlight, otherwise it just translucent white). I was looking thru he old thread and came across some setting ideas for stepcutgirl. There are 2 I like it particular. What do you guys think? Do you think that the bright sparkly peridot will match a more ''subdue'' looking pair of moonstones? here are the 2 I like. Do let me know your thoughts! Pict references are most welcome!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
i was thinking of yellow gold prongs for the Peridot in the centre
1.gif

prongandbezel1234.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
maybe yellow bezel for the centre Peridot? maybe asking if Barry can cut a pair of 6X6mm chrysoberyl as the side stone instead? Just some thoughts:)

r4044_021Ww.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Do you have large enough finger for all those stones in one ring? They''d take up a lot of space, so it might not even be possible for you to wear them all. Have you tried placing the stones together? Do you have pics? Mixing opaque or translucent stones with transparent ones (not to mention precision cut) is really difficult, cause it''s harder to achieve balance of visual weight that way. It would probably be easier to mix that peridot with chrysoberyls, or (just a though) even make a three stone ring with all three stones being a different species - for example, the largest stone being your peridot, a smaller one being chrysoberyl, and the smallest one being mali garnet. All would have a similar color, but different kind of brilliance and overall appearance. There are a lot of possibilities, I guess it depends on the look you''re after and what you need this ring for - something more casual and everydayish, something more dressy or formal...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having trouble visualizing your 3 stone idea of a peridot with moonstone sides. It’s difficult for me to imagine a brilliant faceted green stone flanked by 2 opalescent cabochons that are only slightly smaller. It will be very helpful if you can take a picture of all 3 stones side by side.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
ohh..i like moonstones too.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am trying to visualize this combo and it''s just not working for me. I can''t imagine one of Barry''s rounds or ovals paired with a moonstone cab. The colors of the peridot and moonstone also seems ... I dunno.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/21/2010 9:54:04 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I am trying to visualize this combo and it''s just not working for me. I can''t imagine one of Barry''s rounds or ovals paired with a moonstone cab. The colors of the peridot and moonstone also seems ... I dunno.
Hi Charmypoo, actually I thought the same too:) it''s just not working! I was just wondering if anyone has come across some cool references of this mm..weird mix. Thanks to all the input! I guess I shall leave Barry a mail now!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
well I tried it with a 6.9mm grossular and 2 moonstones
I dont think they work together, but my moonstones are larger than my grossular. still it feels like the combination would require a planned special vision from a jewlery artist, and probably custom lapidary work on at least the moonstone to pull it off.

perrymoonstone.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure I really see it working well either - but I love peridot so I hope you find an option that you love :)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Vapidlapid- thanks for the pict. ref!

Thanks to all input:) I shall keep you guys posted on the latest updates!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hey guys! some new updates:) what do you think of having this blue spinel cab sits in the centre instead? bluecab TIA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that will work a lot better than the peridot since all will have the homogeneity of being cabochons with blue colouring. I am doubtful of such a nice large blue cabochon spinel going for $16 but who knows, it might be just as pictured. The little chips at the bottom should be well covered once set.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/23/2010 11:02:36 AM
Author: Chrono
I think that will work a lot better than the peridot since all will have the homogeneity of being cabochons with blue colouring. I am doubtful of such a nice large blue cabochon spinel going for $16 but who knows, it might be just as pictured. The little chips at the bottom should be well covered once set.
Thanks Chrono for the reply! I am quite skeptical on that too. I had posted some questions on the spinel, i need more assurance that it is as per described. No news from the seller as yet.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/25/2010 11:04:45 PM
Author: chictomato
Date: 4/23/2010 11:02:36 AM

Author: Chrono

Hi Chrono- The blue spinel cab is on its way here. The vendor has replied and he is very certain that its a spinel and he shall compensate for the cost of the report should it be proven otherwise. Hopefully its not too dark IRL, I will probably size it down to an oval instead and the the re-polishing will probably get rid of those little chips. I was uploading some photos of my spinel ring and thought that I shall post the pair of moonstones and peridot as well. If everything turn out well I would like to set the oval blue spinel cab with the 2 moonstone as side stones
1.gif
What do you guys think? feel free to let me know, I love listening to both good and Bad comments, heehee

Photo0307.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I thought a dark background will show the blue sheen better

Photo0310.jpg

thresh

Rough_Rock
I''m sorry to say, but I am seeing STRONG evidence of that sight selling synthetic good:

They are selling ''Ametrines'', better called bi-colour quartz in colour combos which are KNOWN not to exist in nature, in large, perfect clarity peices!

(2) They are listing deeply coloured (tone/vividness) NATURAL blue topaz, in small sizes that essentially NEVER had that much colour, for peanuts

(3) ALL of their stones are listed as VVS and unheated (or for sapphire ''normal heat'')... what dealer of sapphire of very very desirable colours (and with many exremely well color-matched between bieces), and other material in unheard of clarity/color/treatment which are (almost) the best of all categroies sell them for these prices?

NO dealer, even the REALLY high quality goods sellers, do not have their entire stock as flawless, untreated (except the heat on sapphire), beautiful stones. Also, no real dealers sell natural bi-colour quartz in non-existant colours!

(

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chic - I''m really liking the Peridot/Moonstone combo. I think it would make a very striking ring.

As for the blue spinel cab - I''m afraid that the seller looks a little suspect. Look at what he/she has for sale - unfortunately they all "look" like synthetics. Everything has perfect clarity etc. Hopefully I''m wrong but I''d go with the Peridot/Moonstone in any case - the balance works really well.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t picture the peridot with the moonstones but once I saw a picture of them together I think they look great.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Thresh, LD and oddoneout-Thanks for the replies! I am quite skeptical all along, but well, its only 16 dollar, I was thinking of trying it out:) Let''s see what the seller will do when its proven to be a synthetic, I will keep you guys inform for sure! Personally, I feel that the size and shape of the peridot and moonstones go well together. But the moonstone has this dreamy blue sheen, whereas the peridot looks crisp and bright, I am not too sure if this is the look i am after?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think the Peridot and moonstone cab combination works. Maybe if the moonstones were faceted it would work?

But the cutting and the colors are off as things stand. At least in a 3 stone ring like the settings you posted. But I''m not a jewelry designer and maybe someone on PS could come up with a design that would work.

Or maybe the blue spinel cab will work.

I do really like the 2 settings you posted. I''d try the Peridot with smaller side stones that are faceted. White would be traditional, Orange would be dramatic...I can''t quite visualize the chrysoberyl...would it bring out any yellow in the Peridot?

GREAT project keep us updated.
9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice in a new age, hippy kind of way. the mixture of the cabs with the faceted peridot doesn''t do justice to the peridot. and those do look to be nice moonstones...perhaps if they were smaller so the peridot stood out more. or perhaps a different configuration of the 3 stones other than as pictured. however, its what pleases YOUR eye, not what please mine or anyone else on this forum or responding to this thread. i say if it floats your boat, go for it.

mz

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/2/2010 11:35:40 AM
Author: innerkitten
Could the moonstones be faceted?
Hi innerkitten & stone hunter thanks for the replies. I would prefer to leave the moonstone as it is, just some random ideas, maybe to set it with a pair of pear blue sapphire with daimond halo, to create a pair of dangle earring?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Maybe what you want could be done effectively by paying more attention to where the stones are set in relation to one another. For example, setting them in the sides of something like this:
http://www.baseinchina.com/up_files/images/2009515/633779813509979609-Wholesale-Wholesale-Men-s-Goldtone-Square-Top-CZ-Ring.jpg
...would make the whole piece easier to wear and a bit less "in your face", cause you''d actually see the side stones from their profiles (as semi-circles looking from above). Center stone can be inserted (by prongs, flush set or whatever) in this main flat surface of a ring, the same way you''d set it into a men''s signet. The ring doesen''t have to follow the stone''s shape, so you can have a square ring with your round stone set in or something like that. I don''t know how detectable would be the blue sheen of the moonstones this way, but I think you''d be able to see some of it.

Anyway, what I''m trying to suggest here is not setting the sides on the same level and facing the same side as the center stone, but having them perpendicular to the center stone (explained here in much less words than in the above paragraph).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Instead of a 3 stone, have you just conisdered setting the moonstones as a pair. Maybe something like the setting below but I was thinking no halo diamonds ... just a low bezel? This isn't right but I can't find a photo.

r1162_024Ww.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Something like this but instead of prong set .. have it set in a semi bezel.

1260403594_Main_View_1_10_1_2526.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/2/2010 11:40:13 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Something like this but instead of prong set .. have it set in a semi bezel.

Thanks once agin to all the great suggestions! Charmypoo- those references are BEAUTIFUL! ( that bypass pear ring has long been in my inspiration file!) As the pair of moonstone does not cost me alot, nor is rare (on top of that its quite small,5.9mm) Hence, I am not really thinking of putting it on center stage. I am more into using i as sides accent:)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what if you take some of those by-pass settings and do something creative with putting the peridot in the center or to the side? the contrast between the cabs and the faceting isn''t attractive, imo, in the horizontal setting you posted; however, set sort neither horizontal nor vertical across your finger might look rather striking.

mz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results