shape
carat
color
clarity

6.34ct Alexandrite Sri Lankan

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I have this Alexandrite that I would like to sell, but the problem is the price fluctuates, from as low as $1,000/ct to all the way $60,000/ct. Thus I have yet to post it in LP, hoping that I might get some feedback.

The stone is slightly included.

Cheers

634alexandrite.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
That is really, really overpriced. 20k a carat, no way. Please click on 'report concern' and ask the mods to remove the LT links and move this thread to the coloured stones section. You will get more feedback there.

Colour (saturation, tone, hue) and degree of colour change is what sets the price of alexandrite. Clarity and cut come after. If your pictures are accurate there is quite a bit of brown in both colours (low saturation), and I'd guess (though I'm not certain) that the colour change is moderate. If the inclusions break the surface that will also lower the price.

I don't know how trustworthy that lab is.

Comparisons -- these are not exactly like your stone but I tried to find ones that are as close as I could:
7.5ct, about 2.8k per ct: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/xax334aa/&930512007
7.9ct, about 1.8k per ct: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/ax10094aa/&930512007
5.9ct, about 1.1k per ct: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/ax10014ab/&1624187289

Even a 20ct alexandrite/chrysoberyl (depending on what you consider which) with weak colour change and not-so great colours can be low priced: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/ax10029aa/&1624187289

Well coloured alexandrites -- these are smaller and therefore don't have super high prices:
0.88ct, 9k per ct: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax769aa/&930512007
3.6ct, 7.5k per ct (and if this was mined today no doubt the price would be higher): http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/imax0020aa/&930512007
1.65ct, 12k per ct: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax742aa/&930512007
0.49ct, 6k per ct: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1450400692

Since only you know exactly what the gem looks like, have a look through mulicolour's inventory, see what the material is being sold for, and decide on a reasonable price. :))

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Nah, you were not. I was hoping to get a real estimate for this stone, FYI, I did look at MC and I thought of that Indian Alex to make the comparison although there are differences, but I thought it is best to be safe.

I have requested it to be moved to CS section. So I can be "taught lessons" from all the seniors there :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1415985798|3783518 said:
eastjavaman|1415984670|3783504 said:
Noted with thanks LK.

No problem :wavey: I hope I didn't come off as harsh.

That was a very nice thing to do, LK. EJM: I have what is considered to be a high quality alex shown in this thread and I would be lucky to get $8k-$10k/ct for it: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-how-alexandrite-does-what-it-does.207504/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-how-alexandrite-does-what-it-does.207504/[/URL]

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Hi Minou,
I read that one thread and thought that your Alex looks too good to be true, since it is gorgeous sans the price except "should have bought from MC" was mentioned. :bigsmile:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
eastjavaman|1415986170|3783523 said:
Nah, you were not. I was hoping to get a real estimate for this stone, FYI, I did look at MC and I thought of that Indian Alex to make the comparison although there are differences, but I thought it is best to be safe.

I have requested it to be moved to CS section. So I can be "taught lessons" from all the seniors there :lol:

Ok, I'm glad. I'm sure some posters on the CS forum will have an idea. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes; setting a fair price for a gem is not easy.

Is there a significant price lowering on the second hand market, as significant as for diamonds, for non-investment grade coloured gems? I've never paid attention to how big the preloved prices are compared to prices of new gems.

eta: that question was added for when the thread gets moved to CS :tongue:

eta2.0: What's that in your profile pic eastjavaman? What a strong cat's eye effect.

liao

Shiny_Rock
wow. I agree with LK, your stone is extremely overpriced. btw, are you by any chance indonesian?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
@LK, that is a tiger's eye :naughty: It's a family heirloom of approximately 31ct(20.15x16.9x9.83mm), I did not take the mounting out when I send it to a lab; thus, they only estimated the weight. Very strong eye as you can see taken in a fluorescent lamp with a camera phone(I have not learnt from Kenny to cover the black area surrounding your phone camera)

@liao, correcto amundo.

I shall revise the pricing soon.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Minousbijoux

A price pct lower then 10k would be to cheap for your alexandrite!! 1,7 ct is a perfect ring size..not to dark, good change with nice daylight and incandescent light and excellent clarity - MCG sell 0,5 ct for 6000 pct!! - and it is o.k. - your stone is much larger!!!

15000 pct - my opinion!

eastjavaman: your stone is very large - The inclusion are o.k. and the change too - I would say 2000 pct... I won't sell it cheaper course of the size!!!

Try to contact Bonhams.... A large Alexandrite is def. interesting for them and there are enough rich and uneducated people around! :D

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
eastjavaman|1416023516|3783900 said:
@LK, that is a tiger's eye :naughty: It's a family heirloom of approximately 31ct(20.15x16.9x9.83mm), I did not take the mounting out when I send it to a lab; thus, they only estimated the weight. Very strong eye as you can see taken in a fluorescent lamp with a camera phone(I have not learnt from Kenny to cover the black area surrounding your phone camera)

It's a beautiful tiger's eye.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1416037919|3783975 said:
Minousbijoux

A price pct lower then 10k would be to cheap for your alexandrite!! 1,7 ct is a perfect ring size..not to dark, good change with nice daylight and incandescent light and excellent clarity - MCG sell 0,5 ct for 6000 pct!! - and it is o.k. - your stone is much larger!!!

15000 pct - my opinion!

eastjavaman: your stone is very large - The inclusion are o.k. and the change too - I would say 2000 pct... I won't sell it cheaper course of the size!!!

Try to contact Bonhams.... A large Alexandrite is def. interesting for them and there are enough rich and uneducated people around! :D

Thanks, Marlow!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1416050534|3784011 said:
A "Tiger's eye" - are you kidding???

I used to love the stuff as a kid. And yeah, I thought his profile pic was a chrysoberyl

liao

Shiny_Rock
wow! impressive tiger's eye! if I may ask, are you a gem dealer or collector?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
@Marlow and LK, it is a chrysoberyl cat's eye, I was just using "tiger's" due to its sheer size and inadvertently misled you two, my apology. :razz:
@liao, just a collector.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
And a beautyful chryso CE!!! :love:

Size, more pics.... we are waiting....

You love Chrysoberyl too??

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Marlow. The ring is safekept, thus, I do not have recent pictures, I only have this other one picture.
I would think that most of us here love colored stones and diamonds including chrysoberyl :drool:

123catseye.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your sale. I have an over 4 carat Alexandrite that is similar in color to your pic with a very good color change to red. It is set in 18k white gold with .20 G/SI1 diamonds and I did not even get one offer at $900 when I listed it for sale a few years ago. So I reduced the price to $700 and still no offers. It did not have a AGL (has an Asian lab) cert but was tested and appraised by a Prisescope recommended appraiser and I offered a return if it was not as described. If you can get even 1/100th your listed price I will be surprised. Not trying to be a downer here, but in reality an Alexandrite is truly not valued by most people unless it looks beautiful. Muddy greenish, yellowish colors just don't seem to appeal to most buyers regardless of the color change.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
eastjavaman|1416183113|3784871 said:
Thanks Marlow. The ring is safekept, thus, I do not have recent pictures, I only have this other one picture.
I would think that most of us here love colored stones and diamonds including chrysoberyl :drool:
I love your chrysoberyl ring!

liao

Shiny_Rock
eastjavaman|1416101349|3784411 said:
@Marlow and LK, it is a chrysoberyl cat's eye, I was just using "tiger's" due to its sheer size and inadvertently misled you two, my apology. :razz:
@liao, just a collector.

Nice. Some of my oldest acquaintances are indonesian. it really bring back memories :boohoo:

I agree with lisarn. the price is way too high. that alex requires a major recut, and your alex does not have a good color change. If the color accurate, it is around yG5/1 to P6/2. Size is the only great side of your alex. Unless you can find a buyer who are lacking in term of knowledge, the best you can get for that stone is 2k pct
when dealing with alexandrite, you need certificate from Gubelin,SSEF, or AGL( I dont have much experience with this lab, but I think I will love this lab). If you cannot reach these lab, for the very least, send your stone to GRS or GIA. I do not really like them because they are too lenient in differentiating alex-color shift chrysoberyl and color grading. In your case, however, they are much better than some random lab report

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eastjavaman, this ring took my breath away!! Really!
So fabulous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liao|1416200848|3784997 said:
I agree with lisarn. the price is way too high. that alex requires a major recut, and your alex does not have a good color change. If the color accurate, it is around yG5/1 to P6/2. Size is the only great side of your alex. Unless you can find a buyer who are lacking in term of knowledge, the best you can get for that stone is 2k pct
when dealing with alexandrite, you need certificate from Gubelin,SSEF, or AGL( I dont have much experience with this lab, but I think I will love this lab). If you cannot reach these lab, for the very least, send your stone to GRS or GIA. I do not really like them because they are too lenient in differentiating alex-color shift chrysoberyl and color grading. In your case, however, they are much better than some random lab report

I agree with both Lisa and Liao on pricing and the reasons why they think your asking price is too high. That said, I think Nanyang is supposedly quite a good lab in Asia, but is relatively unknown outside of SEA.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing LisaRn, I was wondering if you could post pictures of your stone for our enjoyment.
@liao, indeed we are a bunch of friendly breed.
@stracci, thanks for the compliment, it is safekept at all times unfortunately, since it is big and prominent that the attentions its getting are lost in translation, of whether people looking because they think it is synthetic or they want to rob. :lol:

updated:
@chrono, thank you for your advice. How do you know about Nanyang Gem Inst btw? What was your experience? I find that he is actually a fair grader of stones and would not easily give a top grade for a stone, despite his lack of top grade equipment(LIBS), he assures me that he can detect BE treatment and at the worst case would be an "unconfirmed" opinion in which he will recommend to go for LIBS testing.

liao

Shiny_Rock
eastjavaman|1416235271|3785092 said:
Thanks for sharing LisaRn, I was wondering if you could post pictures of your stone for our enjoyment.
@liao, indeed we are a bunch of friendly breed.
@stracci, thanks for the compliment, it is safekept at all times unfortunately, since it is big and prominent that the attentions its getting are lost in translation, of whether people looking because they think it is synthetic or they want to rob. :lol:

updated:
@chrono, thank you for your advice. How do you know about Nanyang Gem Inst btw? What was your experience? I find that he is actually a fair grader of stones and would not easily give a top grade for a stone, despite his lack of top grade equipment(LIBS), he assures me that he can detect BE treatment and at the worst case would be an "unconfirmed" opinion in which he will recommend to go for LIBS testing.

if you really want to know whether they give lenient or tough grading, send these to them:
1. yellow-green to orange color shift chrysoberyl
2. oil treated corundum
3. heated spinel
4. irradiated stone that still emitting radiation

in my experience, only SSEF and Gubelin are able to identify all of these. I am not sure about AGL, but they have identified the first one. Since most people in this forum have high expectation on AGL, I assumed they can identify (2-4) as well

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot find the post now but AGL detected oil in a PSer's ruby which was not noted by GIA.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1416246163|3785193 said:
I cannot find the post now but AGL detected oil in a PSer's ruby which was not noted by GIA.

wow! really... GIA! do you know which GIA that test the ruby? Last time, I sent an oil treated sapphire to GIA thailand and GIA NY, they are able to identify it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results