shape
carat
color
clarity

5-stone chrysoberyl WB help!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I'm waiting for my ER to get completed, and I've started thinking about a WB (great way to jump the gun, huh) - and I've been looking at all the five/seven stone rings on PS and falling in love.

I think I would like to wear my green sapphire (pave halo) with a spacer band and a 5-or-7 stone band - what do you think? Here is the thread on my ER, https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-help-for-a-green-grey-sapphire.193132/.

I started thinking about chrysoberyls on the band, and what size rounds would you recommend?

And what do you think about this ebay listing, is gemsvillage trustworthy? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GemsVillage...ltDomain_0&hash=item5d45247a41#ht_3254wt_1194. I don't mind they they aren't all the same - I think it provides some interest. and four is an unlucky number for us chinese, so I'll likely have to include a diamond or two in the mix. TIA!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention that I have a size 5.5 ring, and the size I seem to be looking for (each stone) is in the 0.3-.35 range (but what does that translate to in mm)?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't know that vendor, so I would seek out other vendors that have been vetted by this board. If someone has experience with that seller, I hope they'll speak up. If its relatively inexpensive though, it may be worth checking out on your own.

As for size, it just depends on the look you want. Do you want more of a traditional wedding band? Do you want the feel of a 5 stone that can be worn alone? Are you going to be wearing the rings together most often, or wearing them interchangeably? It all depends on what you're looking for--feel free to post an inspiration picture or two, and that should help figure out what kind of size you're looking for.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
IndyLady said:
I don't know that vendor, so I would seek out other vendors that have been vetted by this board. If someone has experience with that seller, I hope they'll speak up. If its relatively inexpensive though, it may be worth checking out on your own.

As for size, it just depends on the look you want. Do you want more of a traditional wedding band? Do you want the feel of a 5 stone that can be worn alone? Are you going to be wearing the rings together most often, or wearing them interchangeably? It all depends on what you're looking for--feel free to post an inspiration picture or two, and that should help figure out what kind of size you're looking for.

IndyLady, I rather like the look of these!

Gleam|1263594139|2382377 said:
mrsv 1.68tcw ring:

01_FIVESTONEPICS_02.jpg

01_FIVESTONEPICS_01.jpg

01_FIVESTONEPICS_04.jpg

I think these are on the upper end of how large I would want them - and while I would like to wear them very often together, I would like the WB to be blingy enough to wear on it's own! I also need to compromise a little so my halo can sit flush with it - so perhaps something like this (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-5-stone-ring-0-75tcw-4-prong-pictures.163520/). I would welcome any advice though (ASAP!!) as I am seeing my ER jewler this weekend and can still adjust the height of my halo!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Do the threads you posted offer an approximate height?

If they don't, I would consider asking your jeweler what he thinks the height of a similar band would be. Will he be designing the WB too?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I presume the 0.3 to 0.35 ct range you are referring to is for diamonds? If so, then the measurements are as below:
4.25 mm = 0.28 ct
4.50 mm = 0.36 ct
4.75 mm = 0.44 ct
5.00 mm = 0.46 ct (this is the diamond ct weight compared to the 5 mm chrysoberyls you are considering)

As for the vendor, I do not know anything about them so cannot comment on their customer service or picture accuracy.

Do you have long fingers or short fingers? Have you tried on something similar to see if the set feels comfortable to you? I have short fingers so a full combo ( 5 mm chrysoberyl + 8 mm cushion + 2 mm halo) might go past my knuckles. :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! Sorry not much help but did you have a thread about what you decided for your e ring? Halo or 3 stone??

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
I presume the 0.3 to 0.35 ct range you are referring to is for diamonds? If so, then the measurements are as below:
4.25 mm = 0.28 ct
4.50 mm = 0.36 ct
4.75 mm = 0.44 ct
5.00 mm = 0.46 ct (this is the diamond ct weight compared to the 5 mm chrysoberyls you are considering)

As for the vendor, I do not know anything about them so cannot comment on their customer service or picture accuracy.

Do you have long fingers or short fingers? Have you tried on something similar to see if the set feels comfortable to you? I have short fingers so a full combo ( 5 mm chrysoberyl + 8 mm cushion + 2 mm halo) might go past my knuckles. :lol:

thank you chrono!! I have longish fingers, so I'll be able to take on a thicker band (all the more to get greedy with).

I might take indylandy's advice and just buy a set if it's cheap enough - what do you guys think about this one as a set (they certainly are a good size!): http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/1-10ct-BLAZING-SET-Citrus-Yellow-Ceylon-Chrysoberyl-/141094174576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d9de3f70&_uhb=1#ht_2044wt_1116

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are 3.5 mm each. The colour looks light but I think should be very sparkly with the cut. Since this is an auction, I don't know how high the price will go. The only thing I don't like about the policy is the 10% restocking fee (might be all right if not too pricey but I tend to shy away from vendors with restocking fees) and shipping seems expensive. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Tan who offers free shipping most of the time. :loopy:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your inspiration rings and wedding sets. As for the chyrsos, if you don't mind spending a little money and, worse case scenario, chalking it up to the learning process, I would get those chrysos as long as they stay low in price. I mean, really, what have you got to lose? As chrysos go, both in terms of color saturation, cut and consistency/symmetry among them, I believe that you can do better, but then again, what we are seeing in their photo is greatly magnified stones so the cut and slight size differentials might not be noticeable in hand.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I have about a day or so before I have to properly decide on the ebay listing, but what do you guys think about these stones?

they are from Uli, but there are only 4 of them - two at 2.7 and two at 3.2mm (with slight size variations). four is terribly unlucky in asian culture, so I'll have to pump it up one more stone or three -(to make 5 or 7) - what do you guys think? he tells me he's not going to cut more because he has no more rough and they are a little small for him and his faceting machine.

I'm tempted because they are a light enough shade, and I trust that Uli's a great cutter. opinions much appreciated!

in other news, the FF REALLY dislikes the idea of a 5-stone with the halo (says it's too chunky). sigh :( might have to get this on my own!

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
This is a great idea for a 5-stone ring. I don't think there's much harm in spending $20 to see if that chrysoberyl parcel will work. The colours look amazing with your gorgeous sapphire - I love that monochromatic look. You can combine shipping most likely - maybe get a couple of similar parcels and use the best 5 stones.

I don't know if you're a seasoned eBay bidder but in case you aren't, don't bid until the auction's almost over! I add items to my watch list and get notified by email when they're ending soon.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at places like AJSgems? Or Multicolour? They might have parcels of 5 or 7 stones or could potentially make them. If you have some time, you could take your time.

Unless you did some tricksy design work, the size difference on Uli's would bother me, but that's a personal preference kind of thing.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I might buy the eBay one to have a look! there are two sets on offer, both with five stones. one with 3.5mm stones and one with 4mm.

which would you guys go for? as far as I can see, the sets are pretty competitive in colour and cut (in that I can't see that one is worst than another). the 3.5mm is ending soon!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the 3.5 mm set in terms of proportion to go with your ring. Uli's stones will be difficult to work with and I can only see it being a 5 stone band with the smaller on the outside, the bigger one as the inner and the largest (diamond or another chrysoberyl) at the centre. This changes the look completely though and isn't likely to look as good paired with your e-ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree that it would throw the symmetry off if you were making a band out of noticeably different sized stones, so I too, would pass on the Uli stones. I'm curious what you decided about the auction and those chyrsos? Also, although its hard to tell because they photos taken from different vendors, but if you those photos are similar to the stones in hand, then I think the chrysos will complement the sapphire very well.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux said:
I would agree that it would throw the symmetry off if you were making a band out of noticeably different sized stones, so I too, would pass on the Uli stones. I'm curious what you decided about the auction and those chyrsos? Also, although its hard to tell because they photos taken from different vendors, but if you those photos are similar to the stones in hand, then I think the chrysos will complement the sapphire very well.

I won the bid for the ebay 3.5mms (here http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/1-10ct-B...n_0&hash=item20d9de3f70&_uhb=1#ht_2044wt_1116 as a reminder so you don't have to scroll up..). took your advice and chrono's and stuck with the 3.5mm.

I like to live on the edge (like any ebayer) and bid only in the last 5 minutes AND THEN I LOST CONNECTION ON MY MOBILE! it took a couple years off my life, let me tell you.

but now I have a dilemma. I paid for these stones immediately, and two hours later Tan emailed me to say he had some chrysos and he had put in a purchase order for 5 calibration cuts (and I had only made a general inquiry!)!! so I asked if he could rescind (especially since I don't know what colour he had and all his chrysos look really dark) but he said that he'd cut it first and then I could see if it would work for me. his words: "After completed, we will show you the color and if acceptable than you may buy. I'm confident the chrysoberyl will be very attractive pieces cause we know this specimen very well.".

I feel bad that he's cut them (even though I did say that he should stop (or cut one or two only first)) - but I guess we will see when I get a photo (and my ebay stones) about which is best. sorry for the rant! :-o

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A wonderful dilemma to have. I would wait to see what Tan comes up with since there is no obligation to purchase. Even if you don't buy them, I'm sure he'll have other buyers lined up. Well cut chrysoberyls sell easily.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that that is exactly the type of dilemma that works for me! You're in good hands with Tan, especially when it comes to chrysoberyl so I'm sure you'll like what he cuts for you. :)) And do remember we'll be waiting with bated breath (however you spell that).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results