shape
carat
color
clarity

5.25 blue sapphire- possibly the one?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking for a 4-5 ct heated blue sapphire and have seen maybe 10-12 stones. I want a darker stone that is subtle, yet complex, and this might be the one. It is not perfect, but I like that it is moody. I don't have stats since no cert, but they will send to AGl if I want to buy. It is heat only 5.25 ct stone.

here are some pics...

This photo best shows some crystals that are on the right side of the stone. I can only see them if the light angle is just right... my husband cant see them even when i show him with the loupe... so not eye clean to me, but I am ok with it. reminds me that it is not a piece of glass, but has some beauty marks.

This is the worst it looks, it looks very flat in pic, but it is more like a navy blue which is what I do want, even though not everyones taste. I thought I would post the bad pic to give perspective. I am surprised it can look so different as the lights and shadows change.

Here is another in diffused sun.

This is at night, no camera flash, just light from table lamp.

_26934.jpg

_26935.jpg

inside_by_window.jpg

nighttime__no_flash__under_table_lamp.jpg

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion, it's a beautiful sapphire and the diamond halo is stunning...but then, I tend to like darker colored sapphires that exhibit royal blue flashes of color. The one in your photos seems to fit that bill. If you love this stone, then yours is the only opinion that matters. Good luck!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm another lover of the darker side of sapphires - as long as they are as saturated as that one is. I think you've done very well! :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks good. Pictures of stones put up by vendors always show the best side of stone, and I"d say that your best pic is fabulous.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful blue. :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fabulous. I love it!!!
Personally I enjoy sapphires that show their moody as well as their bright side. Yours has a fabulous size and color :love:

regina3737

Rough_Rock
Normally, I'm into lighter more "cornflower" sapphires but the dark navy blue against the diamond halo :appl: :appl: :love: :love: Great job! :appl: :appl: :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

regina3737 said:
Normally, I'm into lighter more "cornflower" sapphires but the dark navy blue against the diamond halo :appl: :appl: :love: :love: Great job! :appl: :appl: :appl:

+1! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green with Envy|1423705359|3831138 said:
I have been looking for a 4-5 ct heated blue sapphire and have seen maybe 10-12 stones. I want a darker stone that is subtle, yet complex, and this might be the one. It is not perfect, but I like that it is moody. I don't have stats since no cert, but they will send to AGl if I want to buy. It is heat only 5.25 ct stone.

here are some pics...

This photo best shows some crystals that are on the right side of the stone. I can only see them if the light angle is just right... my husband cant see them even when i show him with the loupe... so not eye clean to me, but I am ok with it. reminds me that it is not a piece of glass, but has some beauty marks.

This is the worst it looks, it looks very flat in pic, but it is more like a navy blue which is what I do want, even though not everyones taste. I thought I would post the bad pic to give perspective. I am surprised it can look so different as the lights and shadows change.

Here is another in diffused sun.

This is at night, no camera flash, just light from table lamp.

Since you did not buy it already, I will make some honest comments.

I love the shade that its in on the top pic, but it loses way too much saturation for me in the "worst it can look" photo. If you think you can live with that, and the price is fair, then go for it, but I personally couldn't, especially if it was very pricey. I personally would not want a sapphire with such an extreme color shift, even if I could live with the flat color.

In this picture, it looks almost black to me.

_26935.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I only have it for inspection now, and actually another dealer is shipping something that might be comparable or better today. It for sure is not black, that was just the worst pic I could take. At its darkest it really is more of a navy blue.

Tell me about characteristics of sapphires... Are there some who change less in different lighting? I thought you r not going to get one that looks the same in sunlight as indoors unless you r spending big bucks- like $10k + per ct?

I am posting a photo I just took when it looks dark, but I put my black jacket close to it to compare. Shoukd I try to find one that holds color better?[attachment=0]

_26947.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Green with Envy|1423752707|3831327 said:
Shoukd I try to find one that holds color better?[attachment=0]

Up to you how badly you want it and how soon. It's probably quite hard to find a darker toned sapphire that doesn't become much darker, or black out. If you're willing to wait and don't have your heart set on this one, it's not a bad decision to pass imo. However if it's not a big deal to you, it does look good in most light, so it may be a good option for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have it for inspection now, and actually another dealer is shipping something that might be comparable or better today. It for sure is not black, that was just the worst pic I could take. At its darkest it really is more of a navy blue.

Tell me about characteristics of sapphires... Are there some who change less in different lighting? I thought you r not going to get one that looks the same in sunlight as indoors unless you r spending big bucks- like $10k + per ct?

I am posting a photo I just took when it looks dark, but I put my black jacket close to it to compare. Shoukd I try to find one that holds color better?[attachment=0]

Some sapphires hold their saturation much more than others. I think all color shift to some degree, although I do have a medium light toned blue one with such a minimal color shift, it's hardly noticeable. However, if you're paying a significant sum, I rather have one that holds its SATURATION better, even if there is a color shift. I personally rather have a smaller stone that maintains its saturation better than a larger stone that looks great in one light source, while very desaturated in another. That's just me though. If size matters to you, and this is a large sapphire, you may have to give up something in order to meet your budget constraints. I just hope the price per carat is reasonable and fair for a stone that has such a dramatic loss of saturation and closes up in one type of lighting.

It's all about what YOU are willing to accept and if the price is fair and reasonable for the quality. However, since you did not buy it yet, I have a duty to be honest to you so you can think it over. Very few gemstones are perfect, and rarely does one get the perfect gem in size, color, saturation, clarity, treatment status, cut, in one stone, so we almost always have to make trade offs. That being said, the price should be reasonable for what you are getting.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1423755711|3831344 said:

Some sapphires hold their saturation much more than others. I think all color shift to some degree, although I do have a medium light toned blue one with such a minimal color shift, it's hardly noticeable. However, if you're paying a significant sum, I rather have one that holds its SATURATION better, even if there is a color shift. I personally rather have a smaller stone that maintains its saturation better than a larger stone that looks great in one light source, while very desaturated in another. That's just me though. If size matters to you, and this is a large sapphire, you may have to give up something in order to meet your budget constraints. I just hope the price per carat is reasonable and fair for a stone that has such a dramatic loss of saturation and closes up in one type of lighting.

It's all about what YOU are willing to accept and if the price is fair and reasonable for the quality. However, since you did not buy it yet, I have a duty to be honest to you so you can think it over. Very few gemstones are perfect, and rarely does one get the perfect gem in size, color, saturation, clarity, treatment status, cut, in one stone, so we almost always have to make trade offs. That being said, the price should be reasonable for what you are getting.

Do you think darker sapphires like this could also hold their colour reasonably well? I would assume they darken up more easily as they are darker as is.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These would be considerations for me--in your shoes......the price? where you live (would you be wearing it outdoors in a sunny environment?) and a definite comparison to the next one that is on it's way. I personally don't adhere to the 'rules' of perfect gems.....and it does seem to have a gorgeous color in bright(er) light. The navy side looks regal to me......even though it is not a preferred color. Then it would come back to price and what you are comfortable paying..........Wasn't that helpful?? :wink2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1423760329|3831389 said:
TL|1423755711|3831344 said:

Do you think darker sapphires like this could also hold their colour reasonably well? I would assume they darken up more easily as they are darker as is.

Well, some hold their hue, but not necessarily their saturation level, and that has a lot to do with the fact they're very dark to begin with. There's a difference in holding a hue, say "violet blue" for example and holding saturation. I personally do not like dark sapphires, although the Diana/Kate ring made people go out and want dark sapphires. I prefer lighter toned sapphires, even if they're not the best saturation, because at least they don't swallow up the light. I hope that answers your question. :)

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
The price is decent so I think if it was at the top of our budget I would pass for sure. I actually was in another retail store that had very similar ring/ color. size stone for twice the price. The dealer who found this stone also had an 11 ct stone that seemed to be the exact color I want... but too big and expensive at 11ct. he did say if I took this stone and they know what I like from the 11 ct... if they ever got one I would like more than this one in similar size, they would offer me a trade in for my full price paid.

The second stone came today and it is a recut so it is really well cut... but it has two areas of coloring zoning that drive me crazy. It is from Marc at AfricaGems. I sent him pictures of the one I have and told him the price and i know some think he is a higher priced guy.... but he thought I got good price.

i will add pictures of the other stone...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green with Envy|1423770689|3831481 said:
The price is decent so I think if it was at the top of our budget I would pass for sure. I actually was in another retail store that had very similar ring/ color. size stone for twice the price. The dealer who found this stone also had an 11 ct stone that seemed to be the exact color I want... but too big and expensive at 11ct. he did say if I took this stone and they know what I like from the 11 ct... if they ever got one I would like more than this one in similar size, they would offer me a trade in for my full price paid.

The second stone came today and it is a recut so it is really well cut... but it has two areas of coloring zoning that drive me crazy. It is from Marc at AfricaGems. I sent him pictures of the one I have and told him the price and i know some think he is a higher priced guy.... but he thought I got good price.

i will add pictures of the other stone...

Well, if you really love this one, then I would go for it, especially if you believe the price is very good. I cannot comment on the price because I don't know what it is, and you're not obligated to tell anyone, unless you want to.

Just think about it this way, do you think you would ever get sick of looking at it, or does it really speak to you? I bought lots of gems in my life that I loved at first, and then after a while, and obtaining education on colored gems, I got sick of. If you think this is a permanent keeper, then go for it. :)

Again, there's always trade offs, and if the darkness in certain lighting is something you think you can live with many years down the road, then that will be in your favor.

BTW, the stone in the ring is more saturated in this picture, than the loose cushion, but it has the same saturation levels in the other picture, where it goes very dark.

_26956.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Tl- Is there a way to describe the difference in color between these two stones? In some light both stones look the same- but the stone in the ring has a slightly different color of blue when they both look their best. I like the color of ring better and I just wanted to know how to verbalize the differences in tone when talking to a dealer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green with Envy|1423771875|3831493 said:
Tl- Is there a way to describe the difference in color between these two stones? In some light both stones look the same- but the stone in the ring has a slightly different color of blue when they both look their best. I like the color of ring better and I just wanted to know how to verbalize the differences in tone when talking to a dealer.

The hues are very similar, and I would call the hue on the stone you like a "slightly violetish blue" and the other one is a hue of just blue. The loose stone has more grey in it (hence less saturated in that one light source), and they both look like they are the same tone (same darkness). Hope that helps.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
yes, thanks. I also found this while doing online research and it seems all the stones I see are more like stone #3 rather than stone #2.

screen_shot_2015-02-12_at_3.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a diagram of saturation and tone for the hue of blue. Saturation is east/west on the chart and tone is north/south. In the far light and dark tones, saturation is always affected, which is why you don't see vivid saturation on this chart for the light and dark tones.

saturation_tone_hue.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the sapphire in the ring - better in all the pics you posted.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1423770422|3831477 said:
Well, some hold their hue, but not necessarily their saturation level, and that has a lot to do with the fact they're very dark to begin with. There's a difference in holding a hue, say "violet blue" for example and holding saturation. I personally do not like dark sapphires, although the Diana/Kate ring made people go out and want dark sapphires. I prefer lighter toned sapphires, even if they're not the best saturation, because at least they don't swallow up the light. I hope that answers your question. :)
Yes, thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results