shape
carat
color
clarity

2013 Projects and Purchases

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1386544940|3570142 said:
As a relative newcomer to PS, I'm loving this year-end recap because I missed most of these gems and completed projects when they made their debut -- in any event, who could possibly be bored by seeing your wonderful lovelies again?! :appl:
My modest contribution to the thread arrived yesterday, an Afghan tourmaline from Barry Bridgestock (whose pic doesn't really do it justice):
I am so glad someone finally snapped this one up! I don't know how it sat there for so long!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
SB621. When you're done with that tourmaline, Contact me. I would love to have that. May I ask what you paid for it?

D

Deactivated member 42515

Gem Queen said:
SB621. When you're done with that tourmaline, Contact me. I would love to have that. May I ask what you paid for it?

That's kinda rude...

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
YT|1386727509|3571667 said:
Gem Queen said:

That's kinda rude...

Gem Queen, Sorry but I kind of agree.

She hasn't even set the stone yet.

Sarab, your stone is completely and absolutely gorgeous and so is your setting from single stone. I hope you flood CS with pics of the end results!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem Queen,
Why not contact Jeff White to find out if he has other similar pink tourmaline rough that he can facet for you? He will also give you an estimated cost.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Just to follow up on contacting Jeff White, his starting custom cut stones are $500 and up. :)

Good luck on obtaining a stunning stone like Sarah's! When you do, please do share lots of CS ****! :Up_to_something: :naughty: :naughty:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1386696537|3571366 said:
Phoenix|1386651898|3571157 said:
SB621|1386615995|3570711 said:
I only have 1 project. My 5ct EC Tourmaline from Jeff White is being set as we speak in a Singlestone setting. Should be done right around the holidays.

OMG, somebody pass me the smelling salts!! It's DIVINE!! :love: :love:

Would you mind sharing more details? How long did it take from the time you placed the order and would you mind sharing the cost, ball-park? Love the setting too. Can't wait to see your finished ring. :appl:

Hey Phoenix. Jeff cut this for me during the same I think. I think I waited 6-8 weeks or something around that. He actually has a 5ct EC cut tourmaline right now that is a lovely color (blue/ green) that is pretty equivlent. I know Jeff charges a preimum for his cuts but I think they are worth it. I love his step cuts.

Thank you, Sarah. I shall do that. His stones are really a cut above.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Let me explain. It was really a backhanded compliment. It is a fabulous stone and I would love one just like it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one who "gets" it? :confused: The compliment is that GQ loves the tourmaline so much that she hopes to be able to own it one day.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I got it, wasn't rude at all.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Chrono said:
Am I the only one who "gets" it? :confused: The compliment is that GQ loves the tourmaline so much that she hopes to be able to own it one day.
No, I understand that. But stating that it was a backhanded compliment, that's the part that doesn't make sense. And I always feel that it's rude to ask someone exactly how much they paid. Especially on a public forum. She could have asked SB privately.

This has gotten out of hand.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1386793683|3572156 said:
The fact that GQ likes it is obvious. The point is that SB doesn't even have the ring in hand yet, and someone wants to buy it off of her, and is expecting SB to be "done with it". That's pretty presumptuous. I think with the time and attention that SB has put into her ring, she will probably want to hold onto it for a long time, if not passing it down to a child/heir.

And in my opinion it's rude to ask how much something cost in such a manner. She also did this to me with my Namibian tourmaline, and I thought it was off color then as well.

Asking for a ballpark, IMHO, is ok. Asking how much a specific piece cost and asking to buy it off of the person, before they even have it in hand, is another. And it rubs me the wrong way as well, so I'm not surprised I'm not the only one who thought that was weird.

Perception of the written word is everything on the internet folks.

Let me rephrase GQ's post:

Wow SB! That's beautiful! Please let me know if you ever decide to sell it, I would jump at the chance to buy it! Can you give me an idea of what it might cost to make my own, if I decide I can't wait to see if you ever want to sell it?

Regardless, I cannot wait to see SB's new ring. I think it will be beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1386794677|3572170 said:
No, I understand that. But stating that it was a backhanded compliment, that's the part that doesn't make sense. And I always feel that it's rude to ask someone exactly how much they paid. Especially on a public forum. She could have asked SB privately. This has gotten out of hand.

Definitely out of hand in the sense that GQ's comments were not meant to be rude in the first place, at least that is the feeling I get. Poor choice of words? Definitely but none of us are immune or exempt from this either. I'm thinking she did not mean "backhand compliment" the way it is defined in a dictionary, but rather, a turnabout compliment. I'm not even sure if I'm using the right word to describe it. There is no private PMs, so GQ cannot ask SB privately about the cost and I don't think GQ meant it literally either. It was written to express how much she loves it. Presuming that she does want to know the cost, why jump all over GQ? A simple explanation that the price one pays for any gem is a private matter should be sufficient. There is no need to call out her behaviour as rude. Not everyone who posts on PS knows the general posting etiquette.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke,
Not everyone has the same posting style. Mine is plain and brief with a lack of flowery words. Some are more to the point, some are more abrasive. Some are overly polite in their posting style, some are brasher. We don't have to like the same style nor expect everyone to post in a specific manner. What you perceive as rude and presumptuous may not be perceived as such by others.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1386795741|3572182 said:
Freke,
Not everyone has the same posting style. Mine is plain and brief with a lack of flowery words. Some are more to the point, some are more abrasive. Some are overly polite in their posting style, some are brasher. We don't have to like the same style. What you perceive as rude may not be perceived as such by others.
Yes, we are all allowed to come to our own conclusions about the words other people post. I found the post to be rude. You didn't. I am still allowed to say that it's rude.

Chrono, when you are done with your violet spinel ring, I want to buy it. How much did it cost? :Up_to_something:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1386795986|3572185 said:
Chrono, when you are done with your violet spinel ring, I want to buy it. How much did it cost? :Up_to_something:

Sure, get in line for it. No promises on when. I think I've actually posted the cost of the stone and ring somewhere before too. :tongue:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1386796257|3572193 said:

Sure, get in line for it. No promises on when. I think I've actually posted the cost of the stone and ring somewhere before too. :tongue:
I don't actually want to buy it, so good thing I'm not serious. :wacko:

(....now that other blue Barry spinel, on the other hand....)

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Okay everyone. I'm a little surprised by this whole thing. Let me rephrase.
I absolutely loved the stone. I meant what I said in the highest regard. I am not a rude or inconsiderate human being, just the opposite.
And the person with the tourmaline... I also thought it was exquisite. I've been looking for one like that for a long time.
I have to admit that I was uncomfortable asking the price of the stone, but I don't think I was out of line.
You know, When people saw my collection, here are some of the responses that I got:
Too much ****....Too many blingasms at once... Body... Shutting........ Down....
I also got: That was an orgy of stoney deliciousness. I am sated. Kinda wish I was stoned too...... and that was from you YT.
So, I'm sorry I offended people. I meant it in the most loving way. I will not say anything to any of you that I will regret later, but some of us need to look at things as the glass is half full and not half empty.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1386796257|3572193 said:

Chrono, I admit that I'm curious.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be grateful if someone had more projects to post so that we can get away from words and back to the brightly colored bling. :bigsmile: Anybody, anybody?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Gem Queen|1386802778|3572275 said:
Okay everyone. I'm a little surprised by this whole thing. Let me rephrase.
I absolutely loved the stone. I meant what I said in the highest regard. I am not a rude or inconsiderate human being, just the opposite.
And the person with the tourmaline... I also thought it was exquisite. I've been looking for one like that for a long time.
I have to admit that I was uncomfortable asking the price of the stone, but I don't think I was out of line.
You know, When people saw my collection, here are some of the responses that I got:
Too much ****....Too many blingasms at once... Body... Shutting........ Down....
I also got: That was an orgy of stoney deliciousness. I am sated. Kinda wish I was stoned too...... and that was from you YT.
So, I'm sorry I offended people. I meant it in the most loving way. I will not say anything to any of you that I will regret later, but some of us need to look at things as the glass is half full and not half empty.

It's tough sometimes because we don't have any kind of private message system here.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am working on a post for one of the things right now, more to come in a later mega post...

Blue zircon in rose gold halo ring (getting a post now, stone from Dana, preloved setting bought from Freke)
img_5892.jpg

Ruby eternity in platinum (estate from Efim Gilin or w/e the name is, scratched stones and too big even for the middle/index fingers I wear it on, but unbelieeeevable price)
photo-1_33.jpg

Montana sapphire in YG solitaire (preloved, a Dana stone I had seen and coveted a year prior when it was on his site but couldn't afford, that then got posted to DB and was obviously meant to be)
(I thought I had uploaded a pic but apparently I haven't? I'm uploading the zircon ring pics for that post so I'll come back with a separate picture later.)

Mint garnet in rose gold ring (garnet from Prima, ring by DanielM - Christmas/Valentine present from my husband!)
img_4211.jpg

Ruby in yellow gold halo ring (bought preloved from YT, using her pic)
photo_291.jpg

Sapphire/plat antique ring found in my grandmother's "to be trashed" pile
photo__4__4.jpg

Sapphire in palladium earrings (stones from Yvonne Raley, set at my local jeweler)
photo_5.png

Old cut diamond in rose gold buttercup stud earrings (from Efim Gilin)
studs-desk.png

Old cut j-hoop earrings in YG (bought on ebaaaaay)
j-sing1.jpg

Old cut .3ish ct bezel pendant (bought preloved from... someone, I forget who.)
Some sterling earrings
Just a couple of loose stones! Mostly tsavorites because apparently I have a problem.

... So this year was my first ~full year~ of being employed (however weird the employment situation was) and so I actually had money to spend on things. And most of it went to these things you see here. Despite saying I would use all my newfound wealth (lol) to procure settings for my stones, I went for instant gratification instead, and set only the blue zircon (the mint garnet doesn't count for this year since I sent it off to Daniel M in the first week of December last year).

I have talked with my husband about how I want to not buy so many little things next year but concentrate on 2-3 bigger purchases. He understands, but also said, "But don't you want ALL THE COLORS?" He gets me, he really does.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts,
You've had a fruitful 2013. Can I request side views of your rose gold buttercup OMC earrings? I've played around with using buttercups for my FCD ring design but that never panned out as I've never seen a decent side view of such a design.

It's not easy to have the self control required to focus on just 1 or 2 large items for the year instead of getting several little items. Trust me, I understand the feeling. Whenever that feeling pops up, just remember how many of those little pieces are rarely worn and that helps curb the impulse a little. :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris - I LOVE that zircon! I have mentioned it on this board before but to repeat myself, a zircon was the first faceted stone I ever fell in love with, that started my faceted stone interest. I had been interested in cabs for a while and was at the gem show and spotted this little round blue thing that sparkled like CRAZY. I was in love with it but it was like $50 and I was all "$50 for a tiny speck!? NO WAY!" (lol so innocent then...) ANYWAY ZIRCONS ROCK!

iLander - Love it!

Xrisus - I am so envious of your pink spinel collection! Are a bunch of those from Yvonne Raley?

NKTOB - Okay, envious of your collection too. The tsav ring especially is divine. Though I also like, um, all of the others.

Freke - Big blue is always so swoon-worthy. Also, just NOW I realized that Green Goblin and the periwinkle supernova aren't actually in identical settings... in my head the settings looked the same.

Babydoll - That butterfly cocktail ring looks so fun! I like how your tourm ring is such classic elegance and then the cocktail ring is all "BAM! I'M A BUTTERFLY!"

DK168 - Such pretty colors!

Susiegrneyes - Wow! I especially love the baguettes - such intense color even for step cuts! Do you have plans to set them or are they just for admiring loose?

Katharath - LOVVVVE your bright collection! I think the sapphire and spinels look awesome in yellow gold.

Koolchicken - colored stone studs are so fun! You really have amassed quite the collection in two months!

Boerumbiddy - omg, I was JUST admiring that pendant on DanielM's sold items page! Post many pictures of it!!!!!! I also love those ruby rings. So red! So pretty!

Lori - Well, who COULD resist an adorable pink heart like that?

Part Gypsy - *drool* Emeralds are my new obsession and that ring looks so gorgeous! I love how it glows!

MollyMalone - hand shots so we can see it as it looks in real life!

Chrono - I would really like to see that moonstone necklace! Your pictures make sphenes look much more charming than I usually find them to be. And of course your violet spinel ring is probably now one of Pricescope's crown jewels, or would be if we had such things.

Colorlovr - I love how your collection has a lot of more unusual stones! The cuprian tourm is probably my favorite of the bunch though... I'm a sucker for blues and greens, lol.

SB - It may only be one project, but what a project it is! I can't wait to see pics of the final product... it's going to be outstanding.

Kelli - You have all the colors of the rainbow! My fave is definitely the three stone garnet ring. It's such a beautiful combination of colors.

Pregcurious - ugh that is stupidly pretty. You should take more pictures of it. Winter pictures, you know. *nodnod*

WELL that was blingtastic.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1386852402|3572714 said:
Distracts,
You've had a fruitful 2013. Can I request side views of your rose gold buttercup OMC earrings? I've played around with using buttercups for my FCD ring design but that never panned out as I've never seen a decent side view of such a design.

These are set REALLY HIGH. I am quite sure that buttercups can be made without setting the stones so way high. It's kind of a fun view on the ear though and people notice it and compliment the settings. You can see in the pics how much space there is below the stones.

photo-2_23.jpg

photo-3_11.jpg

studs-vside.jpg

Chrono|1386852402|3572714 said:
It's not easy to have the self control required to focus on just 1 or 2 large items for the year instead of getting several little items. Trust me, I understand the feeling. Whenever that feeling pops up, just remember how many of those little pieces are rarely worn and that helps curb the impulse a little. :))

I guess one problem for me is that so far I DO wear most of the stuff I've bought, except the unset stones and the few things in a little "actually didn't like, to sell" pile. So it's even hard for me to use that logic! But I'm going to try because I would really like to get some more nice sapphires! That has been my refrain to myself all holiday season - "You could buy this, but THINK OF THE SAPPHIRES!"

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Distracts; they look great on you. I have a buttercup diamond pendant set very high like your earrings and was hoping to see a low set version.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking through some early 2013 threads and realized I reset quite a few stones. :oops:

1_sapphire.jpg

3_stone_red_avc.jpg

6_mm_pink_tourmaline.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 more. I think that's all for 2013.

175_pink_spinel.jpg

276_mint_garnet.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results