shape
carat
color
clarity

2 carat unheated ruby with hugh crack!!

bluenights

Rough_Rock
I finally got my ebay ruby

it's a 2.1 carat unheated african ruby with GRS vertified as vivid red (GRS type blood red)

It sounds like a really good one,but after I saw it, Meh.. it's got huge window, and a huge crack!! The seller didn't mention anything about crack ,just say clarity is SI, but this is not inclusion, this is crack, even cracking on the back surface of the stone!

Should I keep it? I know ruby normally has cracks, but this is hugh, and I feel seller is hiding this information on purpose
What should I do? open a case for full refund with shipping back? or ask for a partial refund?

your thoughts?

6040.jpg

6025.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How deep does it reach into the stone? Does it break the surface of the stone? I would be very concerned about the structural integrity of the ruby especially if your intention is to have it set in a ring. It might hold up better in a pendant.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Chrono makes a good point about the structural integrity of the stone,,,,,
but...let me be hypothetical here for a minute....
These is a good case for color vs. everything else
Let's say the huge crack WON'T affect the structural integrity of the stone. That being said, is the color enough of a deal cincher to make one look over the crack and large window? I mean it is a grade of "vivid".
Even though it's cut is wonky and it's clarity is suffering, is the color, the most important of the 4-C's, nice enough to make one look over all it's other imperfections?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bluenights: I'm sorry for your stone - how disappointing to receive it with a huge crack! Once you've decided what to do about the stone it would be very helpful to the PS community for you to share the name of the vendor, as not representing that there is a major crack is an egregious error on the part of the seller. Thanks!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, the fact that I'd always be wondering about the stone - did this crack it further? is it still ok? etc - would be enough to return and get a different stone FROM a DIFFERENT VENDOR! If the vendor did not clearly identify the crack in the listing, I'd say that's quite the misrepresentation and you have a case to return it... in my opinion.

Can you advise us who the vendor is?

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1338044536|3204239 said:
For me, the fact that I'd always be wondering about the stone - did this crack it further? is it still ok? etc - would be enough to return and get a different stone FROM a DIFFERENT VENDOR! If the vendor did not clearly identify the crack in the listing, I'd say that's quite the misrepresentation and you have a case to return it... in my opinion.

Can you advise us who the vendor is?

I haven't contacted the seller yet, want to see how he deals with it first
I will definitely update how it goes with the seller, and with ebay!
I agree with everyone, a major crack should be described in the listing, hiding it is a big misrepresentation!

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Barrett|1338037956|3204189 said:
Chrono makes a good point about the structural integrity of the stone,,,,,
but...let me be hypothetical here for a minute....
These is a good case for color vs. everything else
Let's say the huge crack WON'T affect the structural integrity of the stone. That being said, is the color enough of a deal cincher to make one look over the crack and large window? I mean it is a grade of "vivid".
Even though it's cut is wonky and it's clarity is suffering, is the color, the most important of the 4-C's, nice enough to make one look over all it's other imperfections?

I would rather buy a pinkish red with good clarity and luster not a windowed, cracked dull pigeon blood. In my case, color does not cover all the drawbacks.

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1338028296|3204150 said:
How deep does it reach into the stone? Does it break the surface of the stone? I would be very concerned about the structural integrity of the ruby especially if your intention is to have it set in a ring. It might hold up better in a pendant.

The crack does breaking the surface a little bit, I'm worried it may crack into two pieces someday :shock:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
bluenights|1338046066|3204257 said:
The crack does breaking the surface a little bit, I'm worried it may crack into two pieces someday :shock:
I'd also worry the same thing - one bump and POOF - you are out a ruby jewellry item.

I'd pass if the colour issue isn't the key component for you. Too much potential worry associated with this stone, for my comfort zone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How bad is the window (in terms of percentage of the entire ruby)?
How dead is the ruby?

While I'm all about colour, there still needs to be a balance of decent cutting, liveliness and cleanliness in the stone. Personally, I will not risk a lot of money on an iffy stone where it doesn't take much to cleave it into two pieces. :errrr: Sounds like it didn't fit meet your expectations at all! You should be able to get a full refund, correct?

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1338053180|3204321 said:
How bad is the window (in terms of percentage of the entire ruby)?
How dead is the ruby?

While I'm all about colour, there still needs to be a balance of decent cutting, liveliness and cleanliness in the stone. Personally, I will not risk a lot of money on an iffy stone where it doesn't take much to cleave it into two pieces. :errrr: Sounds like it didn't fit meet your expectations at all! You should be able to get a full refund, correct?

I never thought of major cracks, I know the clarity is SI, but I can live with some inclusions.
I'm contacting the seller for a full refund
And since I feel he's misrepresenting the stone, he should cover return shipping...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it you can see this "crack" face up due to the windowing or is it not noticeable? The things is, clarity grading is done face up so it probably is accurately graded as SI. I have one red spinel that is clean face up but you can see a good sized feather from the pavilion. This brought the price down by a lot. The reason I kept it is because the feather is less than halfway across the back of the stone and seems quite centrally located so it is in a "safe" location, yet cannot be seen face up. The colour is very good and it is a decent non-precision cut with no windowing, flat top and the like.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are you considering keeping it?

It has a huge crack

It has a window

The colour is ok from your photos but it doesn't look like a top colour (sorry I don't mean to be rude when saying that)

The cut is not great.

So the only thing going for it is the size BUT the integrity of the stone means that it may well not last long as a 2ct stone. Get in touch with the seller and ask for a full refund including postage as it has been misrepresented. Do not contact Paypal until you've done that.

Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results