carat
color
clarity

1st Amethyst purchase-Opinions please

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This is my 1st semi-gemstone purchase. I fell in love with the deep rich violet color of this Amethyst. I just purchased it from LOGR.

The discription says 7.5mm and doesnt say anything about carat weight, not sure what it wold be.

Plese observe the photos and give your opinion as to if the stone is Pricescope worthy.

LOGR has a 7 day return policy.

I really need some expert opinions. I appreciate any comments or expertise.

:wavey:

1st amethyst 1.jpg

1stamethyst 2.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks like a very pretty ring. As to the quality of the amethyst, it looks like a nice color but doesn't seem to have any of the blue or red flashes that are present in some stones.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can not comment on the quality of the amethyst, but the ring is pretty.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and i'm not into halos so i won't comment on the mounting....but i do like your amethyst!

MoZo

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I see some interesting color flashes in it & it has nice saturation. Can't tell much about the cut. I like it & the setting too. Most important, does it make you smile when you look at it?

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The overall package looks nice enough although I think the shank is going to look very thin in person, if you are expecting something with a bit of heft. Since I'm sure the price is quite low, I wouldn't sweat it if the stone is synthetic.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what the item decription reads:

Metal Type: Solid 14k Yellow Gold
Center Stone: VS 7.5mm Dark Purple South African Amethyst
Accent Stone: 0.22CT SI/H Round Cut Diamond (42 pieces)
Ring Size: 6.5#
Weight: 1.85g
Head Width: 9.68mm
Height: 7.4mm
Shank Width Bottom: 1.33mm
Shank Thickness Bottom: 0.82mm
Setting Styles: Pave, Prong
Other Feature: Comfort Fit

Thank you everyone for your comments!!!!

Treenbean-Thank you very much! I think I see some of the flashes you are speaking of in the larger photos.

Crasru-Thanks! I think the cut of your Citrine is too die for. Very unique! Its gorgeous!

Movie Zombie-Thank you very much! I can always change the setting in the future for a different look. I like the stone too!

JewelFreak-Thank you, I see the flashes as well and love the deepness of the color. Everytime I see it feels like the clouds open up and the sun beams down on me! It makes me happy! Very Happy!

Chrono- How would I know if the stone is synthetic or not? I think I could get an appraisal to find this out? Are most semi-precious stones synthetic? Are most Amethyst synthetic? Does it mater? Now Im worried!? But you are right! The price was just right for me!!!

Thanks again!!! You are the BEST!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stone has no zoning (bands of no color or lighter color), then it could very well be synthetic quartz, which is quite abundant on ebay. I would stay away from all amethyst unless you know for a fact that the vendor had the rough cut themselves, and they are a very reputable dealer.

While LOGR does sell many settings, I personally suspect he sells synthetic gems. You can look at it this way, at least you have a beautiful ring for a very good price with natural diamonds, and you can always get a new stone to fit in there if the stone is highly suspect of being synthetic. A natural amethyst of 7.5 mm is very inexpensive, so I wouldn't bother getting an appraisal or a GG to look at it, as detecting hydrothermal quartz is impossible to do without highly sophisticated equipment from a major gemological laboratory. GG's do not have that kind of equipment in their lab.

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
Tiny thread jack, but still sort of related: who are your favorite vendors for Amethyst?

What are your favorite colors? (Red flash, blue flash, both?)

Zestfully- can you post some pictures once you receive the ring?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Tourmalinelover for sharing your knowledge and expertise with me. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments! Thank you again! Your are right I do have a beautiful ring! No regrets!

Hi Sparkle-magpie, 1st time shopping so don't have any favorite vendors. I was peeking at the "favorite online vendors" thread so for future semi-gemstone purchases I can be more informed and get quality stones.

As for the colors as many flashes of color that I can see, I don't have a favorite. Just enjoy looking at beautiful stones and there unique charcteristics.

I will post handshots when I receive it! ;))

Thank you for helping me with my Amethyst education! I appreciate all of you!!!!

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
Hi Zestfully,

I poked around LOGR's listings and he lists a bunch of his amethyst pieces as "South African." There are deposits in Africa containing Amethyst which are being mined. That being said, he could mean it was made in a lab in South Africa... However, remember what TL posted earlier...Do you love it? If it is a synthetic center stone, did you over pay for it? If the answers are YES! and no! Then fabulous!

Take care!

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I cut amethyst (Jackson Crossroads and Diamond Hill). I like that one. It looks nice. The flush mounting is even better as it protects the softer amethyst. Cool.

And a picture cannot tell what the material is or its authenticity, so don't sweat it if you like it. I think it looks lively. Considering amethyst runs from 50 cents a caret up (the better stuff is dollars a caret), it is not to hard to find a great deal. I get lucky and cut some stuff that runs at $100/ct roughly (prime JXR because it is rare and blue flashes - and red too depending on the lighting).

JXREngagedTake2.JPG

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

My ring arrived today from LOGR. Wasn't expecting it until next week, arrived very sooner than anticipated.

George-Thanks for your words of wisdom and lovey comments!

The mounting is very feminine and dainty. I LOVE it! I pair it with my 2mm comfort fit 14k band.

However, Im not to fond of wearing anything synthetic or just not knowing.

So I purchased a gemstone from Barry at ACE over the weekend, boy is he fantastic! My stone will arrive in couple of days! Im very excited! I will have Barrys stone replace this amethyst. I need the confidence and peace of mind of having a Genuine Gemstone!!!!! :bigsmile:

I will post it on the 'vendor photo/your photo' forum when I receive it.

SM-photos per your request......

am3-11angle2.JPG

am3-11frong3.JPG

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ooh, you got it! :D
Looks very nice. I don't blame you for hating the not knowing about the stone. Im sure it will look great with one of Barrys in it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the worry and caution of not knowing; that said, the entire package of ring and stone looks pretty sweet on your finger.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deathspi-Thank you. Yeah, seems like everyone hear who has a Barry stone has an exceptionally, beautiful gem!!!

Chrono-Thank you very much! I have you ladies' education and knowledge to thank for having a clue. I had know I idea gemstones had soooooooo many different variations and colors and brilliance! Thanks again!

SM-Thanks SM! I keep stalking the tracking no. Barry sent me. I should receive it today!!! I can't wait!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results