shape
carat
color
clarity

10mm Richard stone, need advice for setting.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,

I bought this last year when I got the small blue snowflakes from Richard and made those dangly earrings with Ocean. I was going to get Ocean to set this also in a bezel sun like gold setting (she said it wouldn't of been a problem and we were thinking something like the 'Bellerina' pendant style WF has up) but I decided to wait as gold prices don't make custom settings that friendly on the wallet. I do love Ocean and she made great earrings and is great to work with.

Recently I saw on etsy DanielM had small handmade setting in silver (and other metals) and they were pretty reasonably priced and he is only about 1.5 hours away from my house in Canada (I never had something set right here, so I was excited). I sent off an email and got this reply:

"Citrine is a softer stone so we would prefer not to bezel it. Woudl you consider a simple prong setting (either pendant or ring) like this:

www.etsy.com/transaction/33786353

Something simple might be nice given the size of the stone. We need to mention that while we are happy to set outside stones we cannot be responsible for chips/damage to the stone which may occur during setting. We are always very careful but these things happen from time to time so we want to make you aware of our policy.
----------

Now don't get me wrong I know it’s a softer stone to work with, I am just wondering in all of your opinions should I send it to like Ocean or Micheal as when I worked with them they never stated upfront about a damage policy. I can see why they would state this upfront but now it’s making me feel a bit uneasy as Richard stones are not the cheapest and I only have this one and the earring pair from him and it would really be heartbreaking if it were to chip etc. Also, on that note, should I even attempt to put it in a occasional ring because it is Citrine or put it in a pendant for safer keeping? I know the picture isn't that great but I couldn't find all of my close ups in my hard drive right now, if need be I will take more. I am sure he is great to work with but now I do feel a bit like I stated up there uneasy.

LMK,
what you all think.
Icce

p.s. I should add I am a little confused about the bezel commet also because he does have Citrine bezeled in small earring etc up for sale at the moment.

Tiuli 10 Citrine.JPG

Sun.png

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That's odd, because they also bezel amethyst. Maybe it's riskier with a larger stone? FWIW, my prasiolite (green quartz) is bezel-set in a ring, and citrine is also quartz...

ETA: However...if they don't think they can do it, either do the prongs or go with someone else. I made the mistake of asking a jeweler to prong-set a tsavorite when she really was more comfortable bezeling it, and the stone broke in the process.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Maybe he's being extra cautious because he knows that it is an expensive stone and wants to set it with the least risk possible?

Most commercial cut citrines/emeralds can be pretty inexpensive, so maybe that's why he's willing to take a risk on them.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think someone has quite an amazing ring he made but he scratched the topaz. I find it really surprising topaz would scratch so hopefully they will chime in.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi There, I have used Daniel M lots of times, with happy results....
I remember getting that very same message the very first time I worked with them,
perhaps that is sort of standard with first=timers?

they had set an Aquamarine for me and did a beautiful job.

FWIW, their Rainbow Bezels are topaz.....citrine..... etc.
I think it is just a reminder, but perhaps he really would prefer just setting your stone in prongs...
There might be a reason, did you ask?
Some other Etsy vendors do bezeling, Janish Jewels and Kyle Anne metals...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some benchpeople feel more confident of bezeling a particular stone without damage and some do not wish to take that risk. In most cases, jewellers and benchpeople do not take responsibility for damage to the stone during the setting process and require the owner to have their own insurance for that purpose.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
I see number of people patronizing here.. Just my opinion that the bezel work I have seen does not seem to be consistent in quality..

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your opinions. Would bezel this make it dark? If it was to come out perfect which way would you pick style and to protection it wise.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt it will darken up much. Have you tried the foil trick yet to see if the tone changes when bezeled?

Icce

Shiny_Rock
no, I did not. I will try that tonight Chrono, thanks. I will report back.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I contacted Daniel M about a bezel pendent for my aqua, and got pretty much the same response. He probably just doesn't want to risk it with customer's stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results