shape
carat
color
clarity

Where are you honeymooning?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I know this question gets asked a lot but I haven''t noticed any threads recently and we have some newer brides so I thought I''d start a new one. So.....

Where are you honeymooning? Are you going right after the wedding, waiting a while? Why did you pick that locale? Any details you care to share? Are you freakin'' excited?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll get it started. We''re going to Bora Bora. We picked it because we''ve both traveled pretty extensively and neither of us have been there and it was on the top of both of our must-see vacation lists. We''re staying for 8 nights in an overwater bungalow.

We''re getting married on Saturday, July 3rd and leaving for the honeymoon on Tuesday the 6th. I''m going to try to do as much packing before the wedding as possible.

I''m so freakin'' excited I can''t even stand it!!! FI just started a job in St. Louis this week so I''ll only see him on weekends until the wedding. Since we''re moving to STL, we''ve got our house on the market and we''re spiffing it up to sell. I resigned from my job due to the move so I have a ton of loose ends to tie up there before my last day. Then I have to find an apartment to rent in STL for after the honeymoon. I''ve never needed a vacation so badly in my LIFE.
36.gif

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
This is pretty off-topic, but let me know if you have any questions about finding a place in STL! Maybe you already have somewhere to live, but areas can be pretty hit or miss there (and you do NOT want to live somewhere that is a miss in STL).

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Excellence Playa Mujeres! (lots of PS ladies have loved this resort.)

Our wedding is June 26 and our flight to Cancun departs at 10:15am on the 27th. We chose EPM because of consistently positive reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere. We also found some great deals in Mexico due to swine flu and economy issues. We got quotes from some travel agents and selected one who gave us a good deal.

We are beyond excited. Can''t think about it without getting butterflies. We will be there 6 nights, in a swim up suite. All rooms have a private hottub, and your minifridge is stocked with drinks of your choice. I could go on, but I''ll spare you!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 7:14:51 PM
Author: merilenda
This is pretty off-topic, but let me know if you have any questions about finding a place in STL! Maybe you already have somewhere to live, but areas can be pretty hit or miss there (and you do NOT want to live somewhere that is a miss in STL).

Merilenda, I''ll page you over in LIW.
2.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 7:20:11 PM
Author: laughwithme
We are beyond excited. Can''t think about it without getting butterflies. We will be there 6 nights, in a swim up suite. All rooms have a private hottub, and your minifridge is stocked with drinks of your choice. I could go on, but I''ll spare you!

A swim up suite? Oooh, that sounds divine!! I definitely want a report when you get back. Don''t spare me, I love hearing about the details of why people chose to go where they go! Feel free to tell us more!

36.gif
36.gif

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
We are honeymooning in same area we are getting married, Riviera Maya, Mexico.

Four nights in the honeymoon suite at Pablo Escobar's former beach front mansion http://hotelmilamorestulum.com/. The suite is as big as my 2 bedroom apt. And then 3 nights in Playa del Carmen at La Tortuga Inn which has great reviews and private rooftop jacuzzi.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
STL??? I live on the IL side of StL and worked downtown for years. Where is the job?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either Ireland/Scotland or the mediterranean
9.gif

Totally different, but I would be over the moon to go to either!!!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 9:52:33 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
STL??? I live on the IL side of StL and worked downtown for years. Where is the job?

hoofbeats, come join my thread in LIW!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m not a BIW yet, but FF and I have been saving since January for a honeymoon in Belize! We will be getting married in FF''s hometown, which is halfway across the country from where we live now. So we will probably fly home after the wedding and then to Belize the following weekend, which will conveniently be July 4 weekend.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I''m married already but thought I''d chime in. When we FINALLY get to go on our honeymoon (and who knows when that''ll be!) it will for sure be Santorini and I just can''t wait!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 10:23:46 PM
Author: vc10um
Well, I''m not a BIW yet, but FF and I have been saving since January for a honeymoon in Belize! We will be getting married in FF''s hometown, which is halfway across the country from where we live now. So we will probably fly home after the wedding and then to Belize the following weekend, which will conveniently be July 4 weekend.

we''re doing belize, too! any ideas where you''re staying yet? we don''t have anything booked just yet (need to get on that) but are pretty sure we''re going to do 5 or 6 nights in placencia at the inn at robert''s grove.

and i''m SUPER PUMPED!! i''ve never been on vacation out of the country. FI is a more experienced traveler; he was in the navy & has been overseas several times both for work & play. but neither of us have been to central america before. we are leaving the monday after the wedding.

we also considered roatan, honduras but in the end belize won out!

Lozza

Shiny_Rock
Well, we''re heading to Mexico too, but we''re Australian so it''s actually an unusual honeymoon destination! Riviera Maya, then skiing in Canada for a few weeks.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
We are going to Hawaii, O''hau. I just booked our tickets yesterday and got a great prices on both the flight to our wedding and our trip to Hawaii.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Well, just got home last week, so hope I can still post, we went to Ireland for 2 weeks.

It was absolutely amazing!!! Both of us have Irish ancestry, so we totally loved seeing where our grandparents came from, visiting the towns, churches, graveyards, etc. Plus, of course all the usual tourist-y things like Blarney Castle, Giants Causeway, Temple Bar. The food was great. The Guinness was delish. We had a wonderful time and even the volcano cooperated for our flights.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 2:50:02 AM
Author: lulu66

we''re doing belize, too! any ideas where you''re staying yet? we don''t have anything booked just yet (need to get on that) but are pretty sure we''re going to do 5 or 6 nights in placencia at the inn at robert''s grove.

and i''m SUPER PUMPED!! i''ve never been on vacation out of the country. FI is a more experienced traveler; he was in the navy & has been overseas several times both for work & play. but neither of us have been to central america before. we are leaving the monday after the wedding.

We''re probably doing something similar to, if not exactly, what Hudson_Hawk and Mr. Hudson_Hawk did: 3 nights in the jungle at Chaa Creek, and then 4 nights on the beach at Ambergris Caye at Mata Chica.

We''re the inverse of you and your FI. While not in the military, I''m the only one of the two of us who has been overseas (twice to Europe) or even the Caribbean (thanks, Disney Cruise!)...I think the longest flight FF has ever been on is the direct flight between DC and Kansas City!

We are SO excited! And since we have to connect in Miami, we might throw on a 3 night cruise either before or after, since we''ll already be down there, and most of the expense of a cruise is in the flight to the port anyway!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 7:38:39 AM
Author: beltane
Well, just got home last week, so hope I can still post, we went to Ireland for 2 weeks.

It was absolutely amazing!!! Both of us have Irish ancestry, so we totally loved seeing where our grandparents came from, visiting the towns, churches, graveyards, etc. Plus, of course all the usual tourist-y things like Blarney Castle, Giants Causeway, Temple Bar. The food was great. The Guinness was delish. We had a wonderful time and even the volcano cooperated for our flights.
I want to hear all about it!!!! We only had nine days in Ireland, but just got back on Sunday and it was amazing. We''re already planning a trip for next summer, and we didn''t go to the North at all. I''m eagerly awaiting details!
2.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We did a minimoon right after the wedding (Mon - Wed) in Victoria, BC which was great. We''d just moved into a new place the week before the wedding so it was nice to come back so we could unpack, then the holidays, then our big HM was a week long cruise in the Caribbean 2.5 months later. We loved it!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm recently married, so I thought I'd share.

We went to California for 2 weeks - San Francisco, Monterey, Yosemite, Sequoia National Park, and Napa/Sonoma.

We originally wanted to go to Europe, but since we paid for the wedding ourselves we figured it would be better to do something cheaper and within the US. DH has been to the Grand Canyon, but no other western location (his mom is afraid of flying, so he's done everything you can do in the northeast, but hasn't seen much else). I love northern California and wanted to share it with him. I loved that we could be in cities, the wilderness, and wine country, all in one trip. Plus, we were there during crush season in Napa/Sonoma, and it was so cool to taste the ripe grapes, drink fresh grape juice, and see the action.

We actually ended up going to Germany a month later, as part of a spur of the moment work trip for DH, so we got a little European honeymoon after all. Glad we didn't spend tons of money to go to Germany for the honeymoon.

We're also not really into tropical vacations unless they involve a rental house and some friends. We went to the Bahamas the year before (and are going again this year) with a bunch of friends, so we wanted something un-tropical for the honeymoon.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Catalonia Royal Tulum in the Riveria Maya. 8 nights 9/23 - 10/1. If there is a hurricane we''ll probably go to Hawaii. Never been to Mexico and never been anywhere tropical unless the rain forest in Bangkok counts.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
We''re getting married the Sunday before Thanksgiving but we''re staying in town directly after the wedding because a lot of family will be in from out-of-town, and we rarely get to see them. So it''ll be a little vacation, but staying in town.

A month later we''re going on a 12-night cruise to Australia & New Zealand for our honeymoon over Christmas and New Year''s. We chose it because it should be fabulous weather, I have a goal of hitting every continent, and we don''t have too many more years before we need to start trying for kids. Plus a cruise will be a good combo of high-activity days (days in port) as well as days lazing about (at sea). I tend to be a high activity person while on vacation, while my fiance is slightly less so, so this is a good compromise plus I think that one''s honeymoon should be a bit more restful than the usual vacation.

But I''m loving reading about everyone''s trips. More places to put on my travel-to list!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 9:09:39 AM
Date: 6/11/2010 2:50:02 AM

We''re probably doing something similar to, if not exactly, what Hudson_Hawk and Mr. Hudson_Hawk did: 3 nights in the jungle at Chaa Creek, and then 4 nights on the beach at Ambergris Caye at Mata Chica.

We''re the inverse of you and your FI. While not in the military, I''m the only one of the two of us who has been overseas (twice to Europe) or even the Caribbean (thanks, Disney Cruise!)...I think the longest flight FF has ever been on is the direct flight between DC and Kansas City!

We are SO excited! And since we have to connect in Miami, we might throw on a 3 night cruise either before or after, since we''ll already be down there, and most of the expense of a cruise is in the flight to the port anyway!

sounds amazing! and a possible cruise, too?? what fun!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 3:35:10 PM
Author: AustenNut
A month later we''re going on a 12-night cruise to Australia & New Zealand for our honeymoon over Christmas and New Year''s. We chose it because it should be fabulous weather, I have a goal of hitting every continent, and we don''t have too many more years before we need to start trying for kids. Plus a cruise will be a good combo of high-activity days (days in port) as well as days lazing about (at sea). I tend to be a high activity person while on vacation, while my fiance is slightly less so, so this is a good compromise plus I think that one''s honeymoon should be a bit more restful than the usual vacation.

Oooh, Australia and NZ are up towards the top of my list! You have to come back and tell us all about it. I love looking at people''s vacation pictures. To me, it''s the best part of TripAdvisor!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 3:48:50 PM
Date: 6/11/2010 9:09:39 AM

We're probably doing something similar to, if not exactly, what Hudson_Hawk and Mr. Hudson_Hawk did: 3 nights in the jungle at Chaa Creek, and then 4 nights on the beach at Ambergris Caye at Mata Chica.

We're the inverse of you and your FI. While not in the military, I'm the only one of the two of us who has been overseas (twice to Europe) or even the Caribbean (thanks, Disney Cruise!)...I think the longest flight FF has ever been on is the direct flight between DC and Kansas City!

We are SO excited! And since we have to connect in Miami, we might throw on a 3 night cruise either before or after, since we'll already be down there, and most of the expense of a cruise is in the flight to the port anyway!

sounds amazing! and a possible cruise, too?? what fun!

The cruise comes from the fact that we have to fly through Miami, and FF has never been on a cruise. I would love to do a 10-14 day cruise in the Mediterranean at some point, and possibly in Australia/NZ as well, and maybe to South America/Antarctica. But FF is anxious that he'll get some crazy cabin fever being "stuck on the boat" during At Sea days. So I've been telling him we'll do a "training cruise"...3-4 nights...but they're so expensive for just a couple days when you factor in airfare! So if we can kill two birds with one stone, I figure why not!?!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll be sure to tell all about the cruise when we get back, Travel Goddess. And I love Trip Advisor. It was a real godsend last year while planning our trip to China, which is how I discovered it.

And VC, y''all will have an absolute blast! I think the training cruise option is a good one, though I think there are some off the east coast (maybe out of Charleston or NY or Boston) which might be more inexpensive for you to get to if you''re not able to tack on this cruise to your honeymoon. (You''re in D.C., right?) And some of your cruise destinations (esp. S. America/Antarctica) sound right up my alley too!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where all the PS ladies are going for their honeymoons!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2010 12:56:48 AM
Author: AustenNut
I''ll be sure to tell all about the cruise when we get back, Travel Goddess. And I love Trip Advisor. It was a real godsend last year while planning our trip to China, which is how I discovered it.

And VC, y''all will have an absolute blast! I think the training cruise option is a good one, though I think there are some off the east coast (maybe out of Charleston or NY or Boston) which might be more inexpensive for you to get to if you''re not able to tack on this cruise to your honeymoon. (You''re in D.C., right?) And some of your cruise destinations (esp. S. America/Antarctica) sound right up my alley too!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where all the PS ladies are going for their honeymoons!

AN...they actually do cruises straight out of Baltimore, which is only 40 minutes for us, but they''re at least 5 nights with at least 2 full days at sea (I wouldn''t mind for a "quick" getaway, but I want to do just 1 day at sea with FF first, before I start adding more!). The same applies to the further north harbors. And the drive to Charleston is 8 hours...so at that point I''d rather just fly to one of the Florida or Texas ports, lol!

I can not WAIT to hear about your cruise!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
We are going to Charleston, SC! It''s exactly the sort of place FI and I wanted to honeymoon in. We are staying at the Wentworth Mansion, and I''m so excited to go see all the antique shops and eat at the seafood restaurants. It will be the first time FI has traveled outside of his state!

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
We''re also in the St. Louis area!

We vacationed in Hawaii (Oahu with a day trip to the big island). We got married on May 22nd and flew out on May 25th (I had to do payroll or 850 people would''ve been REALLY upset with me!). We honeymooned for 9 days and it was fabulous! We''d totally go back in a heartbeat!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We''re doing 3.5 weeks in Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Austria and maybe Croatia). I am so jazzed about it! We are not really beach people and neither of us has been to any of these places before, so I''m really excited.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results