shape
carat
color
clarity

Went to a bridal swap and came back with a dress!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I got a dress today! :appl: :bigsmile: :appl: I went to a bridal swap for some candles, and decided to try on a dress just for fun. It was a Jason Alexander 8238
and was being sold for a great deal by a dry cleaner! Apparently some people drop-off their wedding dresses and then just never pick them up again! :-o (Can you imagine?) And then the Dry cleaner sells them off to recover the dry-cleaning costs.

It's in great condition, fits like a glove, and is much nicer than what I could otherwise afford. It's not a dress I ever envisioned myself wearing, but for the price (under $300) and the excellent fit, I'm more than happy with it.

Attached are some pictures: The little straps are removable, so I will probably go strapless for the big day.

In my family second-hand wedding dresses are something of a tradition which I am happy to carry on - My Grandmother got her wedding dress for $5 back in 1950.

Now I just have to find a veil and some shoes to match. I wonder how hard veils are to make?

454hddress1.png

454hddressback1.png

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Really pretty! Love the button detail on the back. Can't believe your amazing find!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
HopeDream, that is GORGEOUS :appl: :appl: :appl:

What a great find! I love the waist definition it gives you. Looks beautiful.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Awesome dress and story! Looks fabu!!!!! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look beautiful in it! It looks like a perfect fit and what a deal!!!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Effe, ChloeThe Great, Echidna, Canuck-Gal, Tyty333, and Mary poppins: thank you for admiring my dress and celebrating with me :bigsmile:

Now I will have to really work on my posture to wear the dress elegantly.

I'll have to have it shortened, because it's too long. Currently it has a chapel length train, which I am somewhat tempted to have removed. OOps! I just realised I misspelled the designer It's a Justin Alexander (It was not designed by George from Seinfeld).

Mary Poppins - Bridal Swaps are great! Wedded brides bring their gently used table centers, wedding favour extras, extra candles, stationary, chair covers, wedding dresses etc. and brides-to-be come and purchase them for their own weddings.
It's a great way to get a good deal on (or be rid of) all the bridal extras that and somewhat necessary but realy have no place in everyday life. This is the one that I went to: http://www.bridalswap.ca/ In my area it's hosted by an event planning company

Maybe there's one in your area?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HopeDream|1321932423|3066554 said:
Effe, ChloeThe Great, Echidna, Canuck-Gal, Tyty333, and Mary poppins: thank you for admiring my dress and celebrating with me :bigsmile:

Now I will have to really work on my posture to wear the dress elegantly.

I'll have to have it shortened, because it's too long. Currently it has a chapel length train, which I am somewhat tempted to have removed. OOps! I just realised I misspelled the designer It's a Justin Alexander (It was not designed by George from Seinfeld).

Mary Poppins - Bridal Swaps are great! Wedded brides bring their gently used table centers, wedding favour extras, extra candles, stationary, chair covers, wedding dresses etc. and brides-to-be come and purchase them for their own weddings.
It's a great way to get a good deal on (or be rid of) all the bridal extras that and somewhat necessary but realy have no place in everyday life. This is the one that I went to: http://www.bridalswap.ca/ In my area it's hosted by an event planning company

Maybe there's one in your area?

WOW. I wonder if we have these in Nor Cal. If we don't... I may just look into organizing one! What a fantastic idea!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your dress looks amazing on you! Fabulous find. I would add an extra crinoline like Robbie did under her dress or even a small hoop. I think it looks fantastic on you. You look like a very classy Cinderalla (I mean that in the best and least cheesy possible way).

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
I've just added a comment to your post about the nice guy who is making his ring at home, so now I have to say i'm not stalking you!! but that dress is superb. I usually stay quiet, although always curious to see, in the dress threads, but that's super and it absolutely fits you like a glove! Very good going.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely lovely! And congratulations on carrying on the family tradition too! :appl:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful dress! and you look great in it. What a deal. I love hearing about deals like that!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, Laughingravy0, jayson'smom, Amy's bling, Thank you for the lovely dress compliments! I feel so lucky that it fits so well! Now I just have to try not to change shape before the wedding :???:

Gypsy - hmm an extra crinoline? I hadn't thought about it before, but looking at the pics, I think I agree with you. The dress could look more...voluminous. I might have to check on ebay. Can you recommend a crinoline style/type to look for?

Any suggestions for veil ideas? What length of veil should I go for?
Originally I was thinking tea lenght dress and fascinator, but now with the cinderella dress, all bets are off.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I just want to say that I'm kind of in love with you in this dress, so please please post more pictures soon! :love:

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's an amazing find-it's a beautiful dress and fits you perfectly.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
HopeDream, what a fabulous find! :appl: I wasn't sure what a Bridal Swap was, but now I wish they had them near me! I wouldn't have had to pawn off all my IKEA vases and picture frames on the restaurant staff! LOL!

As for a veil, I don't think you can go wrong with fingertip length or longer. But I'd want something super light and airy to ensure you can still see the wonderful detail on the back of your dress. Perhaps with a little beading/embroidering around the edge, or just a little bit of sparkle.

ETA: Just make sure the veil is secured *over* the hairdo at the crown of your head instead of *under* it toward the base of your skull. I think veils look much better when they can show off their volume!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
my thought regarding a veil would be a fingertip length- or longer- maybe one simple layer with a simple ribbon edge or delicate sparkle edging for a little bling. I think a single layer fingertip lenght would really suit this dress- with so much skirt longer may get lost in all the fabric and shorter wouldn't look right.

whatever you choose- you already look great in just the try on pics :) If you are looking for a hair flower as opposed to a veil Monarch's thread shows Claritek's stunning creation. Apparently she makes beautiful wedding accessories and may even have a store on etsy??? If you decide to go sans veil I would look into that....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know enough about crinoline honey. But maybe page OU? She works in a bridal shop and is very knowledgeable. I like finger tip too. But take the dress to a GOOD and FRIENDLY (use yelp, or theknot, or project wedding to find good store) local store and try things on with it.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Looks great on you!! What a find! Congrats! I echo that this would look best with a fingertip-length single-layer veil with a delicate detail on the edge--ribbon, scallop, beading...

Snowy

Shiny_Rock
This is the first I've ever heard of bridal swap! I'll have to google this!!

That dress looks AMAZING and the fabric looks like it shimmers when you walk. I would love to see more pictures!

Have you checked etsy for veils? I agree with the fingertip length comment for this dress.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results