shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding fitness goals!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK ladies, who among you is using your wedding as an excuse to improve your health and fitness? I''m not necessarily talking about losing weight.

Tell us what your goal is and how you are doing with it.

I''ve decided to use the whole sleeveless gown thing as an excuse to finally focus on toning up my arms. I hate lifting, so it''s an area I''ve always neglected. I''ve been at it since I got back from Peru (so, 3 weeks?) and personally, I can''t see any difference yet. I guess I should maybe take before and after pics!

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Hey IndyGal--

I''ve been weightlifting for about 5 years now (on and off), and I have to say keep at it!

Once you do finally start seeing a change, you''ll love it. That''s when I really got into lifting-- because the change was drastic, and flattering!

One caution-- one mistake women often make is that they''ll pick up the 10 lb weights and throw it up and down and then call that their lifting. To make a change, make sure you''re lifting enough to where you can only do 6-8 of the movements before you poop out.

I''m in the same boat as you-- I''ve slacked off lately in my exercise, but I''m really trying to make sure I get into the lifting room 3 times a week so I can beef my arms and shoulders back up!

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
Ok, long story short, I was finally doing better about being healthy - eating the right things in the right amounts, going to the gym, etc. I was feeling great! I even kicked it into high gear after we got engaged.. But then we were in an accident a week after getting engaged which left my unable to do most things I was doing at the gym. I ended up sitting around feeling sorry for myself most of the days when I was home, eating anything I wanted too, though I still wasn't eating as much as I used too. I ended up gaining back the weight I had lost, along with an extra ten.

FI and I are trying to get back in the habit now that my injuries are a-lot better and my doctors say I can do certain things at the gym again, but it's so hard after so many months!!! But my physical therapists have been having me do my exercises with both arms when I go in so that by the time the wedding comes around my arm and back should be at least somewhat toned!

I'm back to eating more of the right things, and the right amount of them. I've lost 15 pounds or so, but still have about 20-25 to loose before I'll be back into my comfort zone. If only I could wait to order my dress for another month, I know I could get closer to my healthy self again!
8.gif

So thats my goal, to continue to eat the right portions and right foods, and get my butt into the gym at least twice a week (for now, bump it up once I get used to that again), so that I can be my comfortable, healthy self again! FI and I don't plan to wait very long after the wedding to start trying for kids, and I want to be a healthy mom!!

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
My goal is definitely to become more toned overall. I''d also like to lose 5-7 lbs. I joined the WWT over in Family a few weeks ago, hoping it will keep me on track.

For the most part, I''m a healthy eater and when I do splurge I try to keep the portions small. But I struggle w/ working out. I really just don''t find it enjoyable. But I went to the gym 3 days this week so it''s a start.

misysu - glad to hear that on the weight lifting because lifting is something I do actually enjoy doing at the gym. It''s the cardio I struggle with. I find it VERY boring.

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2008 1:42:01 PM
Author: cdt1101
My goal is definitely to become more toned overall. I''d also like to lose 5-7 lbs. I joined the WWT over in Family a few weeks ago, hoping it will keep me on track.

For the most part, I''m a healthy eater and when I do splurge I try to keep the portions small. But I struggle w/ working out. I really just don''t find it enjoyable. But I went to the gym 3 days this week so it''s a start.

misysu - glad to hear that on the weight lifting because lifting is something I do actually enjoy doing at the gym. It''s the cardio I struggle with. I find it VERY boring.
i''m pretty similar - i already eat pretty healthy... but i also enjoy a very healthy appetite! i hate hate hate cardio, but i''d love to take off 5 lbs/tone up in the next five or six weeks, so i''m trying for an hour of cardio and lifting 3x/week. i''m also getting scuba certified for our honeymoon, and i know diving will be more pleasant if i''m in better shape - using less oxygen and not having to be loaded down with weights. as i toil away on the elliptical, i just remind myself how good it''ll feel once i''m finished - which it does.

scm1012

Shiny_Rock
My goal is 30 lbs and some serious toning. I know I can do it. I just have to beef up my workouts and keep my mouth shut because I eat too much and I eat late at night.

angiety2k

Shiny_Rock
I don''t like to work out, so I joined a Latin aerobics class. Its so much fun! My wedding is for another two years! But I have been slacking off on my workouts! You could easy get toned or lose weight!
2.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Misysu2 Here''s what I''ve been doing... does it sound about right for a beginner? 3 sets of 10 of: wrist curls with 5lbs; shoulder lifts (shruggy things) with 15 lbs; and arm curls with 12 lbs.

How do I know when to increase the weights? And is 3 sets of 10 a healthy way to do it?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, 15-20 pounds. Those of you who saw my wedding gown thread, that was minus 3 pounds, and I'm minus 8 now. It's taken me 2 whole months to lose 8, and I'm hoping I can lose the rest (7-12 lbs) over the next 9.5 months. Shouldn't be too hard
3.gif

I've been doing mucho butt toning, as well. I have a BOOTY on me! That's not really for the wedding, more for general life
2.gif
Though I figure as long as I'm losing weight, I may as well toss the lifting in as well.

Indy, my super-fit FI has been preaching the same thing to me that misysu was saying. Starting from day 1 you should lift only what you can do 6-8 reps of. You shouldn't be physically capable of doing 9 reps of that weight, you'll have to take a break and come back. Once you can do more with that same weight, increase it.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks musey! Time to up the weights then. And a pound a week sounds like a perfect rate of loss. Way to go!
36.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I'm inspired. Off to do some squat-lifts!
flex.gif

P.S. Thanks, Indy! I've never been so low before, I gotta admit it'll be interesting to see if I can maintain it
2.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
my goal would is about 15 pounds (i'd love to lose 20, but it took me 6 years to my last 15 pounds, so i dont' want to get overambitious! plus, well, greek ladies are built like bulls and i just don't think it is possible). and it's more for the honeymoon than the wedding
2.gif
6.gif

my plan is to figure out an exercise routine i can stick to (which has NOT been easy), cut out most sugar, and count calories. i know counting calories is most people's least favorite way to go about it, but it is the easiest for me and the most straightforward.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mimzy cutting cals is my favorite way to keep a track of what i am eating...it is the most straightforward. i eat mostly healthy stuff but you can still overdose on healthy stuff if you eat too much of it. knowing what your body NEEDS in terms of cals and what you WANT to feed it is two different things. i mentally am able to tally what i eat now in kind of a 'lazy' way as i already lost my weight and am just in maintenance..so i know okay i'm kind of around XYZ for today, so that's fine. but when i was losing i kept a journal and was more strict about it. i also hardly weigh myself now, preferring to use the fit of my clothes as the gauge. i have built a fair amount of muscle (agree with the other ladies re: weight training and also muscle resistance is a great way to boost your metabolism long term without as much cardio) so i have to keep that fed!!

for anyone wanting to lose weight, cutting out sugars (which equal a lot of cals) is a great way to go about starting out if you are unsure where to begin. not even 10000% cutting it out since that is way too hard and time consuming, just cut out the obvious stuff and see if it makes a difference. aka one soda a day is like 150-200 cals and 7 days a week that is about 1300-1400 cals and a ton of sugars...within 3 weeks you can lose a lb just from cutting out that one soda. if you then add some exercise in, just get up and move around. dance class, cardio, elliptical. it doesn't have to be a drudgery to work out!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
oh me! I'm doing the same thing. First - lose the excess weight I've been trying to lose for the last several years (lost 60ish - just have that last 20-25). Second - tone up the wavey arms. And that awful armpit pudge. Eeeek. I have a strapless, square neckline dress as well (I kinda wish now that I'd looked harder for a sweetheart neckline).

So anyway - Weight Watchers and gym three times a week (run 2-3 miles, or kickboxing class). I hope to hit my goal by the time I have to do dress fittings...

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 12:29:22 PM
Author: misysu2
Hey IndyGal--

I've been weightlifting for about 5 years now (on and off), and I have to say keep at it!

Once you do finally start seeing a change, you'll love it. That's when I really got into lifting-- because the change was drastic, and flattering!

One caution-- one mistake women often make is that they'll pick up the 10 lb weights and throw it up and down and then call that their lifting. To make a change, make sure you're lifting enough to where you can only do 6-8 of the movements before you poop out.

I'm in the same boat as you-- I've slacked off lately in my exercise, but I'm really trying to make sure I get into the lifting room 3 times a week so I can beef my arms and shoulders back up!

misysu - congrats on changing your body and thanks so much for the advice. Although I felt like I had to pipe in and mention that I have actually heard - over and over again - that for women, it's more important to pick up LIGHTER weights and do MORE REPETITIONS....because that way you're getting the workout on the muscle, but you won't BULK UP.

So basically:
More reps with lighter weights = longer, dantier muscles
Less reps with heavier weights = bigger, bulkier muscles.

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to add my 2 cents! For what it''s worth.
28.gif

Please keep simple whether it''s nutrition or weight loss/fitness. Make small changes and give yourself time in between changes to evaluate them.

Think health, please don''t think "diet"... just the word "diet" sounds negative (at least to me). Eat 6 small meals a day and keep yourself hydrated (carry a water jug with you everywhere you can). Lean proteins will curb your hunger so that you are not tempted to snack in between your 6 meals. Simple sugars/carbohydrates are quickly used by the body so you are hungry again sooner. This is part caused by the body releasing large amounts of insulin to combat the amount of sugars eaten. Complex sugars/carbs take longer to digest and causes a steady state of insulin to be released. So, by eating complex carbs and eating something small every few hours, you are doing many good things for your body. You are creating a steady state of energy for your body and increasing your metabolism at the same time.

Fitness....

Lifting weights will increase your metabolism, expedite any weight loss goals and will help fight bone loss. There is only a limited amount of time to store against bone loss. I think you have up until your 20s. Then you have the maintenace of those stores or the loss of those stores. That''s it. Period.

Toning muscles= small weight and lots of reps
muscle mass= large weight and low reps

Give yourself a break.....

Take a day off every week from the routine. Especially if you are fitness bound, your body needs time to recover. Reflect on the week and congratulate yourself on a job well done. Please don''t get down on yourself. We are our own worst enemies- treat YOURSELF like you would your best friend. Talk to yourself like you would your best friend. After all.... you ARE your best friend.

We only have one life..... live it great, do great things and be a great person!

Cynthia

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 4:34:02 PM
Author: tberube

Date: 1/18/2008 12:29:22 PM
Author: misysu2
Hey IndyGal--

I've been weightlifting for about 5 years now (on and off), and I have to say keep at it!

Once you do finally start seeing a change, you'll love it. That's when I really got into lifting-- because the change was drastic, and flattering!

One caution-- one mistake women often make is that they'll pick up the 10 lb weights and throw it up and down and then call that their lifting. To make a change, make sure you're lifting enough to where you can only do 6-8 of the movements before you poop out.

I'm in the same boat as you-- I've slacked off lately in my exercise, but I'm really trying to make sure I get into the lifting room 3 times a week so I can beef my arms and shoulders back up!

misysu - congrats on changing your body and thanks so much for the advice. Although I felt like I had to pipe in and mention that I have actually heard - over and over again - that for women, it's more important to pick up LIGHTER weights and do MORE REPETITIONS....because that way you're getting the workout on the muscle, but you won't BULK UP.

So basically:
More reps with lighter weights = longer, dantier muscles
Less reps with heavier weights = bigger, bulkier muscles.
Actually tbe...I work with a personal trainer 2x a week who I love, and I was worried initally about bulking up using bigger weights. They basically laughed at me and are like you will never bulk up the way you are thinking unless you are really TRYING to. They said it's almost impossible to bulk up using the weights we are using. aka using a 8 lb vs a 12 lb is not going to make you a ballerina vs Linda Hamilton in the T2 movie. So unless you are doing SERIOUS weights like body builder types, an 8 vs a 12 or even a 15 won't really make a difference in how your body builds the muscle, only that it IS getting built.

And I have been working with them for 4-5 months now and I gotta say I agree with them. Obviously everyone's body chemistry is different but I can lift some serious weights now and I am not bulky in the LEAST. In fact I appear leaner than, even though I am carrying a few more lbs (muscle).

I also incorporate latin dancing (zumba) 2x a week, regular elliptical and 2 miles of running for cardio 2x a week, and then do these weight training with them 2x a week for an hour. and a TON of ab and core work, 3-4x a week, i finally have a flat stomach ... and the last time that happened was oh...when i was 16?!

Many trainers will tell you that more reps with lighter weights will do absolutely nothing for muscle GROWTH. you need to break down that muscle by tearing the fibers with the heavier weights, then let it rebuild stronger the next time. If you are using light weights, you never tear anything and nothing actually happens except..well you spend a lot of time doing lighter weights. Keep in mind also when I say lighter weights I mean like 5 lbers...those won't do anything. I do more like 10-15 depending on what it is, and I can do 17-20 for shrugs now (had to build up to it). But I still do use 5 lbers for building up my back which was very weak to begin with. It's hard to know WHAT to do on your own, I almost advocate seeing a GOOD personal trainer at least once to find out what you should be doing to see max benefits. Otherwise you can work out for a while on your own and not really be sure what you are actually doing.

Anyway, I have seen the whole lighter vs heavier debate many times... I also tend to build muscle quite easily so I was afraid...until I saw the results for me with heavier I was definitely not a believer. Oh and you can do more reps, slightly lighter weights, but you should do it for what they call 'fat burn' rather than muscle growth. My trainer has me do this sometimes, for 45 seconds, light weight as fast as I can. MAN does it burn. But it doesn't build muscle, it just burns cals and fat. The heavier weights with good form and less reps are for building muscle.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Cynthia - what a great motivation-booster! Thanks so much for that tidbit!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I so need to lose more weight. I want to lose about another 30lbs before I begin dress shopping. Back to college from Monday so I guess it will be easier to stick to my diet once I''m not sitting around the house all day. Hitting the gym three times a week also.

Actually nearly forgot to mention my new keep fit exercise-I bought roller skates. They are so cute-pink and black ones and I''ve been taking Amber for walks in the park and I skate beside her-it''s great fun and my calves are always killing me by the time I get back.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to ditto what Mara-by-way-of-misysu said. I just asked FI to clarify (our entire apartment has gradually been taken over by gym equipment over the past year)... and he said:

"To build lean muscle/tone, you should be able to do 12-15 but reaching failure by your 15th rep (not just tired, reaching failure). To build/bulk muscle, you should be doing 6-8 but reach failure by your 8th rep. If you are capable of more reps, the weight is too light and not giving you full benefit, in either case (building or toning).

So if you're doing any kind of muscle-related exercise, it's a good rule of thumb to do a hard enough weight to reach failure by 15 reps at the most. Otherwise the only benefit you will see is the cardio/calories you burn from doing the motion."

The light weight w/ a lot of reps idea/rumor is an exaggeration of that. It should be light weights and more reps, but you can't take that idea much further without lessening the impact of your workout.

winston26

Shiny_Rock
What can I do about the armpit pudge?
Is there a specific exercise/weight lifting move that helps with that specifically?

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/19/2008 1:07:26 AM
Author: winston26
What can I do about the armpit pudge?
Is there a specific exercise/weight lifting move that helps with that specifically?

I would recommend anything "tricep" moving.

Something simple as a pushup using the sink as a bench prior to you jumping in the shower. Crank out what you can, jump in the shower and what a start to your day!! Wa-La!

Of course, anything cardio will help also.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, definitely trying to work on fitness/health in general. It''s something I''ve always done in spurts, but I''ve been sticking to it better now with wedding on the brain. I''m hoping that by September it will have become such a regular part of my life that I feel lost without it (and will therefore keep it up!).

I''m a student, so I have access to nice big gyms on campus, but I find the hassle of getting there and the crowds a major deterrent. So, I just this week invested in a (don''t laugh!) Gazelle. You know, one of those Tony Little infomercial glider things. It''s the sprintmaster model, so it has resistance you can add for a harder workout. I bought it from somebody on craigslist so I saved a good bit off of retail. I''ve only done one real workout on it so far, 2 days ago, and the only reason there hasn''t been a second is that I''m SO SORE. Before I bought it I''d been using the elliptical several times a week pretty consistently, and I''m in decent shape. I think part of the problem is that the gazelle is sort of deceiving. To be honest, I was worried it was too easy when I first started and that I would never get my heart rate up. Then...BAM. Tony upped the intensity a bit (it came with 2 videos) and I was sweating bullets and working harder than I usually do on the elliptical.

SO, my new goal is to use the gazelle 4 times a week or so and do videos I already own or use FI''s bowflex for strength training 2-3 times a week. As for diet, I need to be better about the little splurges, particularly at lunchtime. I have a horrid habit of always adding a little something I don''t really need. You know...get the healthy soup, add the gigantic piece of garlic bread because it looks sooooooo good. I think if I just cut out my extra side at lunch every day I could make a big difference pretty quickly. I think overall I want to lose about 10lbs. If I do that by the wedding, great, but really it''s more of a life goal than a bride goal.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 3:38:53 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Misysu2 Here's what I've been doing... does it sound about right for a beginner? 3 sets of 10 of: wrist curls with 5lbs; shoulder lifts (shruggy things) with 15 lbs; and arm curls with 12 lbs.

How do I know when to increase the weights? And is 3 sets of 10 a healthy way to do it?
Hey IndyGal! I apologize for the late response. I had written a really good response this morning, and it took me about 15 minutes of good thought. And then PS deadlocked. And I threw my computer across the room and went for a hike.

I'm back....if your question hadn't been answered yet (and I didn't want you to think I skipped out on your question to me), here's my 2 cents (by the way, this is only what I do, so here's my official disclaimer to always get assistance and all of that jazz...)

I like arm curls (bicep curls) and 12 pounds sounds like a good starting weight (I'm still only at 15-20 now). I LOVE LOVE bench press with a free dumbbell in each hand (no bar). It totally pumps up the front of my shoulders and deltoid areas. I started bench press with a 15 in each hand and I'm up to 35! I also started pull downs and back stuff because my dress is strapless. :) Also like tricep exercises to get rid of my upper arm jelly.

I usually do 3 sets...set 1 will be with a high weight, maybe a weight I can do about 5-6 reps with. Then set 2 I'll go down to a weight where I can do about 8-10 reps, then repeat that again for set 3. That way I actually get stronger. GOOD LUCK!!

Your three sets is good, but ideally, you shouldn't be able to do three sets of 10! Time to up the weight! :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I haven''t even set a date yet but I need to get more toned in general, but especially in my arms! I play indoor soccer 3 times a week right now, and needless to say, it is insane cardio (I thougth I was going to die at my game yesterday!), which has helped, but I want to get CUT. I don''t really need to lose any weight but I am definitely out of shape as far as soccer goes-I had 6 weeks off over Christmas between soccer seasons and that is too long!

I think I''m seriously going to run out and buy weights after reading this thread because I''m just clueless about lifting weights, so hearing advice on *how* to even begin lifting weights is helpful. So thanks to Musey and everyone else!

P.S. We should all post before and after pics of our buff arms in a month or two!
3.gif

AmyBride

Rough_Rock
I''m with Indy Gal. I''m trying to tone up my arms and back a bit, and maybe lose a 3-5 pounds. I already do aerobics and jogging (weather permitting), but I''ve added some weight traning. My down is cap-sleeved and has a semi-bare back.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results