shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding dress is not salvagable...

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
3 days out, I have no wedding dress. When the seamstress opened the dress there were parts that were glued, no lining, scrap pieces hand stitched together, etc. The list goes on. I have no dress. Well, par for the course. I feel sick.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what????? parts that were glued?????

can you call the bridal salon or seamstress and get some sort of refund or alternate dress?

i am so sorry and i hope this all works out for you...is there a place you can get another dress, perhaps a sample that you can just take? really sorry to hear this

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
OH NO!! cupcake that is just awful! do we need to go into find cupcake a dress mode? have you been to places where you can buy & take your dress home that day, i.e. david''s bridal type shops? what about a department store?

oh, i just feel so sick for you! i really was hoping that at least the dress part would turn out w/a happy ending. (at least we know the wedding/marriage will, no matter what you end up wearing!) how can we help? i''m poised, ready for action here.

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Ditto to lulu here, please let us know what we can do. Pieces glued together?!?!?! That is insane. I would be calling whoever did it and letting them get an idea of exactly what is going on and what THEY NEED TO DO ABOUT IT to fix it. That is unacceptable. I feel for you, please keep us updated and let us help in any way we can. *hug*

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
dressmaker is saying that the new seamstress doesn''t know what she is talking about and is lying and she will not refund. She told us to sue her if we want our money back.

I am on the hunt for new pictures of dresses that can be made. New seamstress does good work, I''ve seen it. She cleared out her next 2 days to do it and says she can make the original dress design or another one. So...can you please help me? I am looking for this dress that I saw on Say Yes To The Dress. I want to give her a few options to consider---I want to make sure she has enough time and can do it so I was going to show her the photos and have her pick the one that she can make in time. I still love the original Jim Hjelm. But I did see a rouched strapless dress that rouched to the hips, sweetheart neckline. Any ideas who make it?

Any help with a mermaid/fit and flare design would be great. I''m opened to anything at this point. I do like the lace look. I need to have photos by tomorrow morning. I have to take the day off from work tomorrow so I can get a dress made. Guess this is really just my luck lately. Thanks ladies!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I''m really sorry cupcake
7.gif
The only thing I will say is that I really don''t think you should go the from-scratch route at this point in the game, even if the new seamstress is a good one. Heaven forbid something happen and then you''ll be without a dress three HOURS before your wedding instead of just three days. I''d go to every store in the universe and look for dresses that are ready to wear or close, and then take THAT dress to the new seamstress. It won''t be your dream dress, but I think it is your absolute safest bet.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I am really sorry!!! That is horrible. Please do sue the seamstress.

Can she make a dress in 2 days? I would send her designs to make but I would also go to bridal and dept stores and buy an alternate dress in case the seamstress can''t do it in time. Overnight one of j.crews or nordstroms wedding dresses. They have them in petite if you aren''t the 5''10" bride these dresses are patterned after. Best of luck to you but I would buy several dresses so you can try on a ton and find something perfect.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Why not just buy a ready made dress. Your original design sounds very complicated. Mermaid. Rouching. Lace. Those are all design features that take time to create and are unforgiving when it comes to fit.

Your dressmaker used the "new" seamstress do make alterations on your dress? I am confused. But at this point you''ll need to do whatever it takes to get a dress to wear even if it means you won''t have your dream dress. I wish you the best of luck.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would get a dress overnighted from J crew or somewhere else that has off the rack dresses true to size.

Even if you make another plan, you can have it as a back up and return it if you do not wear it.

I am sorry you are going through this.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2010 7:41:23 PM
Author: cupcake*muffin
dressmaker is saying that the new seamstress doesn''t know what she is talking about and is lying and she will not refund. She told us to sue her if we want our money back.

I am on the hunt for new pictures of dresses that can be made. New seamstress does good work, I''ve seen it. She cleared out her next 2 days to do it and says she can make the original dress design or another one. So...can you please help me? I am looking for this dress that I saw on Say Yes To The Dress. I want to give her a few options to consider---I want to make sure she has enough time and can do it so I was going to show her the photos and have her pick the one that she can make in time. I still love the original Jim Hjelm. But I did see a rouched strapless dress that rouched to the hips, sweetheart neckline. Any ideas who make it?

Any help with a mermaid/fit and flare design would be great. I''m opened to anything at this point. I do like the lace look. I need to have photos by tomorrow morning. I have to take the day off from work tomorrow so I can get a dress made. Guess this is really just my luck lately. Thanks ladies!

are you confident the seamstress can make a new dress from scratch in two days? i haven''t seen say yes to the dress in a while, but my dress is similar in description: ruched, strapless, sweetheart to the hip & then a-line. i''m about to start a post w/some pics, as it just came it but i''ve included some of me in the sample before. it''s pronovias "harlem."

here''s some others that are similar in design that you could get off the rack:

david''s bridal--sweetheart, ruched

david''s bridal--ruched, mermaid

david''s again---not strapless, but ruched & a little lace

nordstroms--ruched, sweetheart neckline

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if you''d like it, but I think the White House Black Market wedding dress is super cute. They don''t have all sizes available right now, but if you liked it you could call to see if yours is, and I''m sure they can overnight ship. Also, some of the dresses in the J Crew collection are really pretty and I''m sure they could rush ship as well.

Samples are also a great idea -- if there are any bridal shops near you, you could try that and have your seamstress alter it.

I''m so sorry this happened to you, and I REALLY hope you find a good solution!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I honestly won't risk making another dress with the time you have left. Nothing against making a dress .. I made several in China that turned out gorgeous.

Will you consider a used dress and get it shipped to you express?

I think you can almost find anything used and in a size that fits you. They are usually in good condition too.

I couldn't find the exact style but these are close and I think you are a tiny size too but don't know your measurements.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270587991510
http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/9916/Jim-Hjelm-8763-Size-0.html

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
What about renting a dress?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
First, get pictures of everything on the dress and any you have of it not fitting. You will also want to contact etsy or post on their community areas with the pics. She is far more likely to take you seriously if you become a threat to her livelyhood.
If she has the material, I would go with a copy of your original dress. Rouching can be tough to sew and time is not your friend. If she needs to do beading by hand though, there is no time.

Next, you were vague on a lot of the details you liked. Based on what you said, here is what I have:
http://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/index.cfm?pid=Say-Yes-To-The-Dress&pg=Featured-Gowns This has pretty much all the gowns from all the seasons, you weren''t clear which one or when it was, so I can''t find the pic of the specific one. Season 5s dresses are on the TLC website, but it sounded like an older episode.
http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/detail/209291?f=106%3A116&offset=25
This might be the one you were talking about, not sure.

Also, have a backup, something you can pick up locally and fast. Not to be cruel, but you thought the last seemstress was great too, until it was too late.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3076846/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014150?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014150&P=9
The color is a bit off, by the style is right.

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=502259792&view=20&No=120&N=1604009&searchUrl=%2Fendeca%2FEndecaStartServlet%3Fview%3D20%26No%3D120%26N%3D1604009&R=03297372

Let us know if you need something more specific.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Just realized that nobody had mentioned preownedweddingdress.com yet -- maybe you could find one you like that someone nearby is selling?Also, is there a bridal consignment shop in your area? Worth a try!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with the general sentiment -- buy something ready-made ASAP, with time to have it altered if necessary. Personally, I'd go out and buy locally so I wouldn't have to rely on anyone else to send it off in time. I'm sure you can find something lovely. It may not be the dress you dreamed of, but you are marrying the man of your dreams, and that's what really counts.

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
I spent quite a few hours looking tonight on preownedweddingdresses.com. Nothing within budget, near me, and in a style I would like. I know jcrew has some stuff but I am worried about fit. And I definitely cannot afford anything over a few hundred dollars since I already paid for my dresses once so thanks for the suggestions above but they are out of budget now. And if it still needs alterations after shipping it won''t work. I don''t have time. I might try Davids bridal tomorrow but I am nervous about alterations and the final cost. I guess you live and learn. I am going to talk to the dress maker tomorrow. I might just go with a simple mermaid with beading/lace/etc. At this point her price, reputation, and the fact that it will need no other alterations is winning me over.

I took tomorrow off to deal with this, so you better believe I will be contacting Etsy and Paypal. She even lied about the fabric she used. I paid for silk but the dress is polyester. Oh and for anyone confused original dressmaker is from Etsy. Alterations/seamstress is a local boutique owner that is trying to help me.

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
Oh and thank you all for your suggestions and support. I guess I''m on a real bad luck streak huh? I hope it ends soon!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Cupcake*muffin, please, please, please do not rely on a seamstress to be able to make you a dress in two days. Seriously! We have all seen Project Runway and even the most talented designers sometimes send a turd down the runway. I believe David's has a return policy, so PLEASE buy a dress from there, even if you may return it. After all you have invested in your wedding and all you have spent, honestly, is a couple hundred bucks really worth running the risk of looking like this (or at least the bridal equivalent thereof) on your wedding day?
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

theo.gordon.gartrel.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Heck, if you are in my state (OH) and a street size 8, I will even let you borrow my wedding or reception dress just to make sure that you have a decent dress for your wedding. This is how seriously concerned I am about you relying on a seamstress to be able to make you a beaded, laced, mermaid wedding dress in two days time! I wouldn''t even trust Austin Scarlett to pull that off. For reals!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I would go get a sample dress you can take home today or the day of the wedding after a clean and press. I had a sample dress and it was perfect off the rack.

I am not a great sewer, but I do know the details you want take a lot of time - and what if something goes wrong?

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Cupcake, don''t you live in Chicago? I think I need to buy you a drink...or maybe FIVE. Here''s the good news: you only get married once. The pics will look great no matter what. It can only get better from here.

Let me know if you wanna take me up on that cocktail
2.gif

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Cupcake- what size are you? I have my casablanca 1970 that I never wore, not the style you are interested in, but gorgeous all the same. Its a 16 cut down to a 12, though. My mom could fed ex it from Florida. Aren''t you getting married in South Carolina or something like that?

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
I''m SO sorry about your wedding dress. Have you thought of maybe getting a nice BCBG dress? They have quite a few long, white gowns that are gorgeous.
They are sold at nordstrom, bloomingdales etc.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
I found this dress on Nordstrom''s website--it was my prom dress 3 years ago. I read the reviews, and apparently a lot of women wear it as a wedding dress. It is a BEAUTIFUL dress, and from what I remember super comfortable. It looks much better in person than in these pictures.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2920433?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=dresses:women:dress&cm_ite=bcbgmaxazria_strapless_silk_gown:174811&cm_ven=Linkshare&siteId=J84DHJLQkR4-1Hvmo2ACq0laXq38yIL6Eg

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
I''m so sorry for everything you''ve been through lately. I agree with everyone that you should try to get a ready to wear dress instead of having it made. What is your dress size? And please share the name of the person that you bought the dress from on etsy so that future brides can avoid having the same dilema. I''m sure we all can help to contact etsy and have them remove that seller. This is so unacceptable
29.gif
29.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
The Etsy seller is divulged in her previous dress thread from when she first got it.

CM- I definitely think you have a way to get your funds back at this point. The fact that you paid for silk and the dress is polyester is pretty serious. Then the totally questionable construction is also nuts. Will the local seamstress back you up when you go to PayPal and Etsy?

I agree with the others that making a dress with lace and beading detail in the amount of time you have is risky, but I wish you the best of luck. I''m so sorry you''re having to deal with this right now.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Wow, cupcake, this is awful. I have to say trying to get a designer gown replicated in 2 days does NOT seem like a good idea, but everyone covered everything else. I hope it works out for you.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh, I''m so sorry to hear this! I honestly can not believe the bad luck you''ve been having. I hope things start to look up for you soon ..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results