shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am on vacation and found one that is lovely, but didn't buy it yet. I guess I am afraid it is associated with bratty brides, and also I am afraid that it will look out of place at my midday wedding. What do you guys think? Are tiaras over the top? Could a certain hairstyle make them more tasteful?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of tiaras but a lot of brides wear them! What does your dress look like?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a tiara person myself buy have been to weddings where the bride wore one and looked great. All depends on you dress and look..

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be very blunt: I have rarely seen a tiara that looks elegant and not like the bride is living out a little girl's princess dream. There are such beautiful, fairy-like, dreamy headbands out there, many of them with a bit of crystal sparkle. I much prefer those - particularly for a midday wedding.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree to mscushion, I have yet to see a bride (who is not a royal) pull off a tiara to the point where it looks classy and elegant. It always looks like they have been playing in the dress up box. I take it as a statement of "Today is MY day and I am a PRINCESS! Me me ME!" :roll:

However, if a tiara is what you want, who cares what people think. Wear the tiara.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the previous posters! I am pretty bratty (edited to accurately disclose my true level of brattiness), and also a little prissy, and I would still feel ridiculous in a tiara. I have already ordered a couple of really pretty blingy headbands though (I don't have a wedding dress yet so I needed options :) ). That would be a great compromise! Etsy, nordstrom, and Bella bridesmaid are places I have seen cute ones (in other words, I have one from each of those stores). I'm sure they are all over, though.

However, it's YOUR day! So if you want to, you should totally do it! You may never get another chance to at least kind of pull off a tiara if you don't do it at your wedding (unless you are a huge Halloween enthusiast, I suppose).

Keep us posted on what you decide! I am in the wedding attire shopping stage and have so much fun discussing!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore one for my first wedding, sans veil. It was an outdoor ceremony at 12:30 p.m. on a Sunday at an elegant location (country club). I pulled it off just fine. Presence, carriage, and poise go a long way, and if you are not typically perceived as "bratty" then who among your friends and family would find that your tiara made that statement anyway? Try them on. If you feel beautiful in one by all means go for it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1332287483|3153167 said:
I wore one for my first wedding, sans veil. It was an outdoor ceremony at 12:30 p.m. on a Sunday at an elegant location (country club). I pulled it off just fine. Presence, carriage, and poise go a long way, and if you are not typically perceived as "bratty" then who among your friends and family would find that your tiara made that statement anyway? Try them on. If you feel beautiful in one by all means go for it.

I agree. If you love it and it makes you happy you should get it! Wearing a tiara doesn't make you bratty. You are either a brat or you're not. Cannot blame the tiara. :cheeky:
I wore one and I enjoyed it and many of my friends have borrowed it since for their weddings and that made me happy all over again.

Here's a pic of my tiara if that helps at all. Not the best tiara pics but the only ones I have on my computer. It really was a subtle accessory that blinged up the day a bit.

(I didn't wear earrings at my wedding because I was not into them at that time so not sure if that might have made a difference. It might have felt like too much if I was wearing dangly earrings and a tiara).

Good luck with your planning MSC...enjoy everything leading up to your wedding- it's all over so fast!

tiarapic.jpg

tiarapic.jpeg

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I'm confused - are sparkly headbands also considered tiaras? When I think "tiara" I think crown...but this topic inspired me to google and I guess I was differentiating what I thought were sparkly headbands from homecoming queen style tiaras...

Missy, I love what you wore!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, that's not a tiara, IMO. That's a headband. Beautiful and looks great on you.

As for Tiara's (crown like). I don't like them, and as 4ever so eloquently put it, I get the "Today is MY day and I am a PRINCESS! Me me ME!" vibe as well. No matter how well I know you and how much I love you.

I wore a comb and blingy earrings (that I am so happy I resold, I should have just gone with Nadri earrings from Nordstroms!).

4937_1105575451579_2686239_n.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, LOL. I thought it was. :oops:
Thanks Gypsy and atp233.

I stand by what I wrote though to MSC. If you love it wear it with pride and confidence. Everyone knows the day is about the bride (and groom but more about the bride LOL) so you might as well not be shy and make it special in any way that feels right for you.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm not really a fan of tiaras, especially because they're not real. They sort of make me feel that the bride is trying to act like a princess. Having said this, I'm not a big fan of veils either (or any kind of headpiece for that matter), so maybe I should keep my opinions to myself :D

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

My dress will be floor-length silk satin with gauzy silk overlay and a beadwork bodice. Still, I think I would feel silly with a true tiara and will probably go with some other headpiece/short veil option.

SO sneakily bought me the tiara to save me the agonizing though, so now I own it either way and can defer the choice :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We need pics, lady.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1332389723|3154068 said:
We need pics, lady.

Yes, pictures please! :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a sparkly headband would be great-

i also think people's perception of you has a lot to do with their opinion fo the tiara... If you are perceived as a brat and princess- they will see you in a tiara and roll their eyes at you. If people have nothing but nice perceptions of you then they wont think anything more than your tiara being sparkly and pretty..

do your thing! wear it if you like it.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't mind skipping the tiara at the wedding and downgrading this to a housework tiara :bigsmile:

I think I would rather have major earrings and a simpler hairpiece anyway.

AtomicLush

Rough_Rock
The tiara is lovely! Kudos to your SO to save you the agony of having to make the decision. That's very sweet of him. I love a good tiara any day. And why shouldn't you have a tiara on your wedding day? It's YOUR day! Lots of brides wear tiaras and it's almost par for the course. That's like saying someone with a princess ballgown is too bratty or frilly. What's the point other than looking princessy. It's whatever you want to make of it. If a tiara is what you want, then go for it!

Has anyone seen the tiara that Amy Farrah Fowler got in Big Bang Theory? I love it and want to buy it, but I can't find the exact version anywhere. Oh well!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1332421594|3154205 said:
SO snapped this in the hotel room :)

Yup. That's definitely a tiara. Buy a blingy headband or hair piece as well, then when you are doing your hair trial, have the stylist try both on for you and take pics. When you see the pics, you'll know what look is right for you.

There's nothing wrong with a housework tiara. Or a bridal shower/bachelorette tiara.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1332484751|3154923 said:
MissStepcut|1332421594|3154205 said:
SO snapped this in the hotel room :)

There's nothing wrong with a housework tiara. Or a bridal shower/bachelorette tiara.

(1) the housework tiara idea made me laugh
(2) I love the bachelorette tiara idea!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am planning on wearing on, at least for the ceremony (it's possibly a no-go for the reception as my dancing involves lots of enthusiastic flailing, so it would have to be incredibly secure). I already bought one. It's about the only wedding thing I already have. It's a circle thingy and very understated as far as tiara things go. More like a thin sparkly wreath, with a leafy motif (though it's so little I'm not sure that it's noticeable except from close up). I'd actually prefer one like it that's a headband because I think it would look better on me but haven't found anything. I went back to where I bought it from and pulled up some pictures (not me in the picture, lol):

BRI-paxe-001-1_550x5502.jpg
BRI-paxe-001-1_550x550.jpg

I guess judging by people's replies to Missy, some may not consider this a tiara. It was definitely labeled a tiara however.

I really like yours - I think with a bouffanty updo it would look less princessy and more hairbandy. Different hairstyles and makeup will change the look of it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1332851683|3157233 said:
I kind of want that first one for myself, just to wear...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Slg47 and Gypsy for posting some alternatives! Those are exactly the sort of thing I was looking for but I hadn't thought to check Amazon or Ebay. *headdesk*

(And at $500, you can see why I didn't want to buy it... I have seen SO many overpriced tiaras.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
And belts! I just found out the price of a wedding dress I was considering is almost $500 less without the ugly belt I thought it came with! Though that ultimately helps me, I found it astonishing! It just seems like for anything wedding-related, there is such price gouging!

Sorry I have been negotiating open bar costs and hotel blocks all day and am very frustrated at how quickly all the wedding costs add up. And we are supposed to buy my dress this weekend and all the ones I like are so expensive (even when purchased without ugly belts)! Grrr!

/end thread jack/rant

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results