shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunday wedding? Would you do it? Would you go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
After wracking our brains like crazy to come up with an idea for a creative reception site, I had a super great brain wave. There''s an amazing and extremely hip restaurant in my town where my sister used to work. Before it opened, there used to be a little cafe there where I practically LIVED from the time I was, say, 13 until I went away for college. So, that spot is really important to me. Anyway, the space is unusual and gorgeous, the food is great (it''s one of the best restaurants in town) and they actually have REAL vegetarian food... not just pasta. Which would make my dad happy.

I just spoke to the guy and he said they can do a dance floor on the top level, and that they''ve done weddings there before. PLUS, if we went this way, we wouldn''t have to pay for centerpieces, and probably not for music either since they have live jazz or a DJ most nights anyway, and I''m sure we could negotiate having that included.

Here''s the catch: the rough estimate he provided is affordable for a Sunday night. Not so much for a Saturday night.

So my question is: do you usually take the day off (or half a day off) for an out of town wedding anyway? E.g., travel on Friday for a Saturday wedding? Most guests could be home by noon the next day. Plus, many of our guests are Jewish and observant Jews don''t get married on Saturdays, I''m told, so they will be used to it.

Would you do this? Do you think it''s worth it to save, like, $4000?

ARGH! Help!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Saving $4,000 is a big deal! If a lot of your guests are used to it I think it would be fine. You might not want it to end too late though, so that people who are local could still get up for work the next morning. It sounds like a great place. So many places just serves sides for vegetarians so that isn''t too much fun.

cara

Ideal_Rock
You have to think about your particular crowd of people and your budget and your idea of "wedding" to make this decision.

I often take off a day or half day to attend OOT weddings, and think that Sundays are more convenient for OOT guests than a Friday wedding, and was really pushing my FI to agree to a Sunday wedding for us to help with the budget. But, he has a lot of OOT doctor/business friends for whom getting time off is a real pain - especially weekdays off. Plus, a Saturday wedding allows people to choose whether to take off Monday or Friday rather than being forced to one or the other. So, we did Saturday but the potential savings in our case was not as large.

I don''t think Sunday is unreasonable, especially if you have Jewish guests who of course are used to Sunday weddings. But beware that many people will not stay partying as late on Sundays if you are trying to throw a big party wedding - especially the folks who live driving distance from home and will not have taken Monday off work. Strangely, the OOTers will be more likely to dance late on Sunday since they just have to travel the next day, not get to the office by 9am or anything.

These are all compromises - if you love this place and think it would work for your crowd and your idea of a nice wedding, then go for it!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you LOVE the site, then go for it. I think my decision would be no, but that is simply because regardless of where we had our wedding many people would have to travel a long distance to get there. So it wasn''t really an option for us.

But if most guests are local or SUPER far away (i.e., they''re already going to spend a week with you no matter what), why the heck not. I think the other thing to consider is if you want a rocking till midnight kind of party or if you''re ok with things ending early.

I DO think it''s rude to not serve dinner till 8, cut cake at 9, etc. for a Sunday event because then most people are forced to stay later than they might like to. But if you have an afternoon or earlier evening reception and are ok with it ending early, by all means go ahead.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
We had a Sunday night wedding -- it was totally no problem. Only about 10% of people left "early" -- the rest partied on...we did have significant OOT attendance, and we are Jewish, and so were about 50% of our guests. It''s not as uncommon as it once was, but I think between a Friday night thing and a Sunday night thing, I would pick the Sunday night event to go to.

Hope that helps.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The only guests who live OOT but driving distance are my most boring old relatives, and I won''t mind if they leave early!! (Isn''t that mean?). Everyone else will be either local or a plane ride away.

I guess we would do something like: ceremony at 4:3pm. Cocktails at 6:00. Dinner at 7:00. Dancing till whenever....

Actually, I tend to get worn out by midnight myself. I''m not a night person. So this could also be a good solution for me!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you are very excited about this venue, and to be honest I don''t see any problem with a Sunday wedding. As mentioned, folks have to take Friday off normally for an OOT saturday event,
and I think a Sunday is easier than a Friday night.

I say go for it!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got married on a Sunday because the venue I wanted was booked for an additional 18 months if I wanted a spring or summer Saturday and I just did not care enough to wait that long. It really is not that big a deal, it might impact people with Monday work, but if they play well it should not be an issue!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Saving 4k is a lot, most of your guests are used to Sunday weddings, and OOT guests would have to take a day off of work either way (why not Monday rather than Friday?). I say go for it!

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock

Hi!

We did a Sunday night wedding (yes we are Jewish), but LOVED it. I was originally a bit worried about the same things as you...would be from out of town come? Would they (or the locals) leave early? BUt it turned out wonderfully. Of course a few left earlier than they might have, but we hardly even noticed because so many people stayed late anyway! The other nice thing about it is that it makes the weekend feel longer...We had a small family dinner (just brothers/sisters/parents) on Friday night which we LOVED, and then the traditional rehearsal dinner on Saturday (we had more than 100 people there alone--our out of towners DEFINITELY came for the weekend), and we still got to look forward to the wedding on Sunday. I wouldn''t change it for anything!!

GOod luck!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
For all the reasons that matter: money, the fact that many of the guests are used to Sunday weddings, and you love the venue, I say go ahead!! A girlfriend of mine (who is Jewish) got married on a Sunday and everything was fine and they had great attendance. Most people stayed late and took Monday off. I

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for "Go for it!" That''s a lot of money saved and you get a great location!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I say go for Sunday too. We are having a Sunday afternoon event b/c the cost is sooooo much better. I haven''t heard anyone complain so far or say they''re not coming due to the day of the week. I think those saying no are saying so regardless of the day and same for those saying yes.

Sounds like a neat venue!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
We had our wedding on a Sunday; it was July 6, 2003. Our place was way cheaper on a Sunday AND since I am greek and most of our guests were also greek, it worked out well. Since most of them own restaurants, (true to the cliche, lol,)they were able to stay late bc Mondays are slower in the restaurants as opposed to if we had a Saturday wedding, they would have to leave early bc Sunday mornings are busy busy....

I say, if you already know that lots of your guests don''t normally attend Saturday weddings (so this won''t be strange to them) and you love the venue, then go for it! I have been to several Sunday weddings and I don''t think that it is so unusual these days.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
I had a Sunday wedding but Monday was Martin Luther King day so it was technically a three day weekend for most. $4000 is a lot of money! I say go for it.

amileegirl

Shiny_Rock
Given notice in advance people can make accomodations for taking vacation time.

My wedding is on a Sunday. We booked it on a Sunday because we'd be the only party that day. For a Saturday wedding OOT guests would probably take the Friday off for a Saturday. Sunday is just the opposite; they'd take the Monday following off if needed. No more time lost at all, it is an equal exchange. Go for it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I did a Sunday wedding and I really think it was the way to go. Our top-choice vendors were more available and the pricing was much better.

Additionally, OOT guests didn''t feel stressed out by having to travel on Friday night after a long day of work and then being tied up in Saturday celebrations. Instead, they could relax Friday night, travel on Saturday and attend on Sunday. Heck, many appreciated the excuse to make a longer weekend out of it and go home on Monday!

If I had it to do over again, Sunday would be my first choice!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hurray! It's decided then.

Well, at least the 'day of the week' part.

Now I just have to figure out the multi-floor seating issue...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! Congrats! Indy!

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Hi Indy,

Another Sunday bride here, glad to hear you''re joining the Sunday Bride Club.
2.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the club ;-) I certainly *hope* people will come since its the only day we can do ours! I didn''t see you mention a time, but we''re doing it in the morning/afternoon to help with the time issue.

Seriously though, I''m leaving Thursday for a Saturday wedding in 2 months, it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results