shape
carat
color
clarity

So I may be called for duty...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my closest friends is getting married for the second time, and she wasn't planning on having bridesmaids for her wedding in April. Her FI has never been married before, and apparently he might want to ask his two best friends to be groomsmen. If he does, my friend's best college friend and I may be "called for duty" (literally, my friend's words :bigsmile: ). I'm so happy for my friend and I can't wait until her wedding. We haven't seen each other in 4 years, since my own wedding, and I'm so excited!

Here's the "problem," though:

I don't wear dresses. They look horrible on me. I'm under 5' but I wear plus size clothes. Everything I wear is altered in some way, and it's a PITA. I'll be 39 soon, so I'm not at an age (or size :(( ) where I can easily pull off a traditional strapless BM dress. My friend is very laid back, so I know she's not planning on having us wear matchy-matchy dresses or anything. In fact, other than specifying that the color be either purple or green, we can wear any dress we'd like. Sounds easy enough, right? I'm dreading shopping though because dresses look awful on me, and I don't want to squeeze into anything, nor do I want to look dowdy.

So, any suggestions on where to look? This is a huge deal for me, and it's something I'm very self-conscious about. Whatever I wear, I'll insist on a jacket to use as a cover up, even if the dress has sleeves. In terms of my shape, well, I guess I'm apple shaped. Round all over. :bigsmile:

Sorry for the novel but I was just "asked" and I'm already panicking.

Please help!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I'm not sure if this helps, but it will give you an idea of my style. When I attend weddings, I usually wear black, somewhat flowy pants, a nice, non-collared/non-buttoned shirt or thin, solid colored sweater, a jacket or cardigan, and sandals or slip on shoes. Very basic attire...

There's a *small* chance I won't be needed, so this may be all for nothing, but I want to have a few ideas in mind, just in case.

The wedding's in April, in PA.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to tell you this, but you're probably going to have to suck it up and wear a dress. Get one nice and flowy (like your favorite pants) and have it altered to your specifications that you feel most fabulous about! That said, I would stick with something at the knee or just slightly above (nothing crazy now lol) or to the floor, because if you get something mid-calf, it isn't going to be figure flattering at all with your body type.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and if you find a dress and don't like how your shoulders look, wear a cardigan! Since your bride friend seems pretty laid back, this shouldn't be a problem. But check with her first lol

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
CLEARLY you have not discovered the world of http://www.kiyonna.com/. I'm thinking of this one for my sister's wedding: http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Dresses/12120901

I'm more skilled in the "dressing Pear shape" area but there are generally SO MANY MORE plus sized dress options than ever before. And the best friend to every dress -- the cropped silk knit cardigan sweater w/ 3/4 length sleeves.

GOOD LUCK!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1349445465|3279874 said:
CLEARLY you have not discovered the world of http://www.kiyonna.com/. I'm thinking of this one for my sister's wedding: http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Dresses/12120901

I'm more skilled in the "dressing Pear shape" area but there are generally SO MANY MORE plus sized dress options than ever before. And the best friend to every dress -- the cropped silk knit cardigan sweater w/ 3/4 length sleeves.

GOOD LUCK!

OH MY GOODNESS! I LOVE the dress that you linked! That would be gorgeous for a wedding :love:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, Deco and Stacy! Deco, I love the dress you're thinking of getting for your sister's wedding. It's gorgeous! I remember seeing your wedding pics here and I think that dress would look so great on you.

I have to admit that I was annoyed when I saw that that site considers a size 10 to be plus size. Also, I think it's hard for me to picture those dresses on me because I'm shorter than the models and honestly, bigger than them. Maybe I'll give them a call and talk to a customer service person.

Thanks so much!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I didn't realize those dresses are found at LB. I didn't recognize the name. Maybe I'll go there this weekend and check out what they have. I think I'm going to look for a solid color (purple or green) because I'm not sure that a print will look right for the wedding. We'll see.

decodelighted|1349445465|3279874 said:

GOOD LUCK!

My bro is having his reception in a few weeks... I WOULD TOTALLY WEAR THAT... if I wasn't preggo. That's so cute!!!! I was really excited when I clicked on that link... and then OH yeah... :( lol

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1349533531|3280524 said:
Oh, I didn't realize those dresses are found at LB. I didn't recognize the name. Maybe I'll go there this weekend and check out what they have. I think I'm going to look for a solid color (purple or green) because I'm not sure that a print will look right for the wedding. We'll see.
I didn't even know LB carried them until your comment .... then I went & checked and WOW! I guess they didn't want to *compete* with them anymore. LOL!

The cool part of the Kiyonna website is "Real Curves" where they show real gals w/their measurements & sizes - modeling their own actual Kiyonna clothes (or ones they are considering buying) ... or ... plus size bloggers wearing their dresses. It helps to visualize how real people look in them as opposed to size 10 models. HA!

Hope you find something you feel FANTASTIC in!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bean, I'm not sure if I mentioned this already in another thread a while back, but congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results