shape
carat
color
clarity

Registry Gifts vs Cash

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
We have a very small place and live in the City..and are older and have our own things (granted they''re not high end, but it works for our small apt). So, I''m thinking I don''t want to put too much on my registry. We''d probably have better use for cash than a bread maker if you know what I mean. We are also having a small wedding.
Has anyone else gone with the limited registry route--do you have regrets?

As of now, I think we coulld use some nice cutlery (flatware) and everyday china and maybe a few nice wine glasses and that''s it. Will this seem strange or am I mising something major? I just don''t see us using fine china/silverware very much, maybe a few times in the far future if we moved to the ''burbs.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My good friend got remarried and didn''t have the need for a lot of ''stuff.'' So in her bridal shower invite I wrote that the bride was registered at X store, or, donations for their honeymoon fund were welcome. They didn''t register for much, so the cash gifts were an obvious alternative. If people didn''t feel comfortable giving cash or didn''t want to, there were a few registry items to choose from. I don''t know if they ended up getting random stuff as well, but I know they got a lot of cash!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 3:13:41 PM
Author: FireGoddess
My good friend got remarried and didn''t have the need for a lot of ''stuff.'' So in her bridal shower invite I wrote that the bride was registered at X store, or, donations for their honeymoon fund were welcome. They didn''t register for much, so the cash gifts were an obvious alternative. If people didn''t feel comfortable giving cash or didn''t want to, there were a few registry items to choose from. I don''t know if they ended up getting random stuff as well, but I know they got a lot of cash!
I was going to ask that question- my fi and I are 39 and 42, we just combined households and yikes! we don''t need any more things. We may register for a nice bedset and a new toaster oven, but that''s about it.

We had considered setting up a honeymoon registry with a travel agent (my shower is coming up in april or may) but we aren''t going on our "big trip" until the year after our wedding, and don''t want to be locked down yet.

I would love to say that donations to our honeymoon fund were welcome.

My fear about not registering for lots of "stuff" means that we''ll get lots of "stuff" that other people pick out and that we just don''t need!!!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah if you don''t register the people who don''t give $$ as gifts will just buy you whatever they want. I did register and still got lots of non-registry items- some good, some bad and some ugly!

Also I have never heard of asking for cash for a shower- if you don''t need actual gifts then don''t have a shower.
Showers are for "gifts" it was rather anti-climatic when I opened up gift cards at my shower.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
We didn't need a lot of stuff either but we registered for the major things that we didn't have. I got most of the registry stuff at my shower and got a huge stack of envelopes at the wedding! I don't know if it's cultural or regional but most people I know (including me!) traditionally give money as a wedding gift.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 5:47:57 PM
Author: dtnyc
Also I have never heard of asking for cash for a shower- if you don't need actual gifts then don't have a shower.
Showers are for 'gifts' it was rather anti-climatic when I opened up gift cards at my shower.
The point of that was the same people would be coming for the wedding...and could spread the word that the couple would like to receive cash. As the bride and groom it's tacky to tell people what you want. That's why it's usually spread through the bridesmaids, and why it was on the shower invitation. Most of the shower gifts were actual gifts, but this way she got a lot of cash at the wedding.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think doing a honeymoon registry is a great idea. It''s something I''ll keep in mind when planning my wedding some day. I''ve always wondered what people who live together do if they already have stuff - sometimes, lots of it too!

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above poster I would def. think about a honeymoon registry. And I would also just register for only a few things and you could always have your BM''s spread the word you want cash
41.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Some of my friend''s are registering for a years/6 months organic vegetable boxes or cheese boxes that they have delivered weekly/monthly and magazine subscriptions etc - then they are nice luxuries, but also really useful

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results