shape
carat
color
clarity

Price Range for Live Music

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sfogal

Rough_Rock
I am getting married in a couple months and still haven't booked the entertainment. I got a quote of $900 for a couple (one violin player and one "piano" player – the piano player also does the DJ and MC in the evening) for the whole day. Is this a reasonable price? Any suggestions on where I might go to find cheaper entertainment for a wedding with similar abilities? I am located in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Are you kidding? I am getting quoted for a DJ in the New York (Westchester) area, a simple DJ alone goes for $1500+, a band starts at $4000, and that's only for music during the 5 hr wedding reception and NOTHING ELSE... (no ceremony music, no cocktail hour...)

I don't know what area you are in, so I can't tell you what is a good price, but if they sound good to you, and you get a contract outlining all the music you want and don't want, and they fit in your entertainment budget, then I say go for it!

Never hurts to look around, get more price quotes, then negotiate them lower! Good luck!!!

NYCbride

Rough_Rock
We are having a band/Dj for our reception. Usually a really good band in the NYC area will run you about $6,000-$10,000.It also depends on how many member are in the band. It may be more expensive the more members. Some DJ companies will have a package that has DJ mc and a single singer performing also if you want a touch of live music. See what these bands/DJ companies can offer you. Don't forget to see the showcases too. Goodluck
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Holy CARP! I think using an iPod to supply the music is looking better to me now!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of starting a new thread... I pose a new question:

I joked about using an iPod for the ceremony music, but I wound up finding a great jazz quartet for an awesome price! But in the contract is states that they want to be paid the balance of the bill before they start.

Is this a good idea? I don''t expect any funny stuff after talking to the band leader... seems like a good enough guy.

Thanks,
VH

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
I believe that is standard. My music contracts had the same stipulation. Wedding music costs a lot of money and the musicians need to have some sort of leverage to ensure they are paid. Plus, it''s not like with food or booze or even photography (prints), where you can be charged on consumption, so it makes sense for the musician''s bill to come upfront.

If you have met with and trust your musicians, I don''t think it should be a problem!

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I can''t remember if we paid 3,000 or 3,500 in the midwest for 3 hours of a full band (dancing) and 2 hours of a 3 piece (apps and dinner). Also, we had dinner set up for them and tipped. They were outstanding and worth the $.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
FH and I are on a tight tight budget, so we''re going the ipod and speakers route. We''re also having a very low-key reception, but we both want dancing. A fun outgoing friend, who hopefully will also be best man, will be asked to be the MC for the night.

Here in the midwest, the average price for a live band for a 4-5 hour reception is about $1000, a dj is $350-500, and renting an amp and two speakers from a friend''s company is less than $100. The choice was easy for us.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results