shape
carat
color
clarity

Post-DW Reception & the veil: to wear, or not to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
Here''s my dilemma-

Sunday is our post-DW reception back here in the states @ my childhood home. Just to set the scene, we''re expecting approximately 90-100 guests, it is at 2pm on a Sunday so it is relatively informal; heavy hors d''oeurves, beer & sangria, no liquor. Bluegrass band (DH''s choice); we will be coming out around 2:30, the band will announce us and we will do a first dance shortly thereafter. We WILL be doing the cake cutting/champagne toast bit, DH will wear his suit and I my wedding dress (but with hair down and in long flowy curls rather than an updo, and with a different, less "sparkly" jewelry set than the wedding). Tossing a bouquet is still up in the air (no pun intended) as is a receiving line. We will NOT be doing the dollar dance, garter retrieval or any other special dances than bride & groom.

QUESTION: I am terribly, overwhelmingly, in love with my veil. Second to my wedding ring, it was my favorite thing I wore for the wedding. (refresher: 2 tier 30" and 90" chapel length, I drug the whole thing around for all of the night including dinner but took the long tier off for drinks afterwards as I was tired of carrying it.) I felt absolutely GLAMOROUS in the veil and truly loved wearing it, I was so sad to take it off. Would it be tacky or otherwise inappropriate to wear the veil during the reception? Maybe just the short layer and not the long? Or perhaps wear both of them out and then remove the long layer before dancing? Or take both off? Or will I look like an idiot and should just let it be?

I know a lot of you might be thinking "it''s YOUR day do what YOU want"; as much as part of me wants to wear the veil everyday for the rest of my life (!) I also have an equally powerful desire to not look like a fool during my wedding reception. What is the etiquette here? If the reception had been immediately after the wedding as is usual, of course I could wear it, but what about in this situation? I don''t want people to think I look stupid, and I don''t want to regret the decision later as I look at reception photos.

HELP!

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
I''d lose the veil, I think it would be too much for a reception at your home (parents'' home).

Maybe keep it around in case any of your girlfriends want to see it on you...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
If I were you I would just wear the short layer and not the long one. It is a beautiful material and will enhance the beautiy of your face and hair, as well as bring back memory of the actual wedding.

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
If you love it so much, I''m not going to suggest you just ditch it for the night... it''s the only time that it is acceptable to wear again, so you may as well get a little more use out of it. However, after looking at your gorgeous pictures, I think it will be a bit of a hassle and you would be a bit overdressed if you wore it all night.

How about a compromise?? You could wear the veil when you are announced and walk in... that way everyone who wasn''t there to see you at the ceremony can see you in it. You may even re-enact a little "kiss the bride" action. Then, maybe since you''re not sure about a bouquet toss, why don''t you have a little veil removal ceremony? I''m sure you could think of some fun way to do it. That way, you can be seen in it, and draw attention to it for all your guests, but be comfortable the rest of the night.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I also think you should skip it. I think it might look a little strange.
40.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
You love the veil, it''s your last chance to wear it. WEAR IT!!! I would wear it up till the first official dance, then perhaps take off the longest layer. That way everyone will have seen it, you''ll have worn it, and you can enjoy the reception!

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I like some of these "middle ground" ideas. I agree that it would be awkward to wear the whole thing all evening, but I am also not sure I''m entirely ready to give it up.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to make this feel like a wedding reception w/o reenacting the whole day; I don''t want to seem kitschy. Perhaps you guys are onto something with wearing the veil as we enter, we could walk up to our table (it''s sort of in the center of the gardens) and have the band guy announce us as Mr. and Mrs. X and then say "you may now kiss the bride" but instead of lifting the veil since it won''t be on my face, he could kiss me and then remove the veil from my hair? Should we do our first dance as soon as we come out and THEN take off the veil? Aiik!

If you went to a post-DW reception where that happened, would you think this was stupid or kind of fun?

Thanks!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
i like the idea of announcing with the veil, not sure about the you may now kiss the bride part, and agree that a long veil, as lovely as it is and as lovely as you feel in it, WILL get cumbersome through the night. Most likely you''ll want to take it off at some point from mere frustration
1.gif
. But I see nothing wrong with wearing the short part for the rest of the night.

Instead of an official you may now kiss the bride, maybe walk down the aisle and do a fun kiss, more spontaneous like. Maybe just have him twirl you then dip you with a dramatic kiss. THats 99% of the time a crowd pleaser
9.gif
, and it doesn''t seem so re-enacting the wedding, but with elements.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it would be beautiful to wear in, and love gingerbcookie''s idea of the dippy kiss thing. What if after all that you took it off and made a centerpiece type display of it? Maybe not on your table but a side table where you had pictures from the wedding etc. One of the children I take care of did this with her great-grandma''s confirmation veil and it was just gorgeous. That way you get to wear it and then show case it for the rest of the evening.

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
UPDATE: Thanks for all the ideas, guys! We sort of combined them: I wore the whole veil out while we were announced, for our first dance (terrible idea because it kept snagging the grass I finally had to stop dancing and wrap it around my arm, oh well!) and took the whole thing off afterwards. I figured when people hugged me they would keep pulling it so I just took it out. We had the band, as they finished our song, say "You may now kiss the bride", which we did, people clapped, but we didn''t do the twirly d/t veil issues + hubby isn''t too much of a dancer and felt nervous trying to twirl and dip me. It came out nicely though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results