shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Critique Me!!!! Dress Shopping Trip #1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Went dress shopping yesterday and it was so much fun!!!! The problem is that I liked everything I tried on, but each in their own way
emsmile.gif
I definately have my favourites but I''m not telling
emotion-5.gif

So I need some help from the wedding experts!!! Please chime in and let me know which dress you like & why, or if you don''t like any of these. I have fairly broad shoulders so it''s tough for me to figure out what looks the best. I''m totally open to suggestions and don''t hold back any criticism please!

CHOOSE YOUR FAVOURITE DRESS! (sorry, I don''t know how to do polls yet)

Dress #1

jrspickpinkdressfront.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #1 Back

jrspickpinkdressback.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #2

sparklyfairydressfront.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #3

jrsfavdressfront.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #3 Back

jrsfavdressback.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #4

jessmsilkysoftdressfront.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #4 Back

jessmsilkysoftdressback.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #5 (last one, I promise
emteeth.gif
)

davinciprincessdressfront.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress #5 again

davinciprincessdressside.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dress # 5 on model (it was a size 4 so it totally didn''t fit properly on me...this is how it should look)

davincionmodel8215.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
WOW those pics are huge, sorry!!! Can someone help me make them smaller???

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow you are so pretty shimmer.

Here''s what I thought of the gowns...

1st one, I thought it had promise until I saw what it was doing around the hip area, but thought it could be an alteration issue (like the dress just looks big on you)... until I saw the the corset back. It should fit you much better than it does because of the corset back.

Number two just doesn''t seem to flatter your figure.. although I like the neckline better than number one. Don''t like where the waist is hitting you.

Number thee looks like a BM dress, and I think it''s the one that flatters your shoulders, neckline the least.

I like the shirred waist line of the fourth one, and think the halter style looks nice on you... very nice. I just don''t care for that particular gown. But I think the style of it really suits you .. very glamorous and you have a lovely back it really shows off!

I just don''t like number five on you, it''s not really flattering , and I don''t know if that''s because of the size or not.

Or all in all I think it''s a good first trip... but none of them do you justice at all!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Well, it really depends on the type of wedding you are having....

My personal favs (since I typically go for more simple gowns) are # 3 and 4....However, if you are having a large wedding, I would go for the other two....

I like them all though...Very nice!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
THanks gypsy! I feel so honored to be critiqued by you! Your reviews are very helpful. All of these gowns are pretty lower end (not that there''s anything wrong w/ that) but I think that explains the cut of them.

Also, I have a long torso on top of my broad shoulders (well technically under them....hee hee) so I think that is why #2 and #5 don''t work so well. Is there any alteration that could be done or would a bigger size help w/ that?

UCLA: thank you for your input! I have no idea what kind of wedding I am having....that''s part of the problem. It''s not until May 2009, and I have been going back and forth b/n a beach in hawaii (dress 3 &4) or a romantic palace or winery or garden (other dresses). I NEVER though it would be so hard to make these decisions!

I guess I should choose the venue, then the dress? Regardless of the venue, I think this will narrow down what shapes work the best for me....

Anyone else?

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I think I like #1 on you best, assuming that it would be taken in at the hips to fit you better there. That said, I think you should keep looking to see if you can find that WOW dress. There''s one out there for every bride!
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...well, none of these particular dresses are blowing my mind, although I think the halter strap style (forget which number that is!) is the most flattering on you. I think you definitely should go for a style with straps or a halter. I have broader shoulders, too, and I think skinny straps look best on me. I also don''t like myself in strapless things AT ALL, but while I don''t think the strapless dresses are bad on you, I do think the halter is the most flattering. I''m not crazy about that particular halter because it seems like the halter straps are too wide up at the top, though. And I think the spaghetti strap dress is just a bad cut, or it would be more flattering. The neckline on the spaghetti strap dress should be lower, I think.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you thing2! Do you have any pics up?

I was just looking at Maggie and found this one, I thought it wouldn''t work b/c of the thin straps, but now that you mention it that neckline is too high (I thought it was the straps that are bad for my body type).

You guys have been so helpful! Thank you, your opinions are very appreciated.

Am I crazy for liking this dress?

maggiedressrasharna.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/14/2007 2:46:31 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I agree that the halter top of number 4 looked best on you, but you looked by far the happiest in #5.

Ha ha. funny that you mentioned this, brazen. I finally realized by the last dress that I wasn''t really smiling in any of the pics!

(Shhhh, don''t tell anyone but #5 was my favourite.... except for the size/short torso issues. Great observation!)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I also think that a halter top suits you best, but that dress doesn''t fit very well... probably the wrong size, right? And unaltered.

You''re lucky though, that so many different styles look great on you! Great body!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the Maggie you posted is VERY pretty, feminine and princessy. Which seems to be the look that makes you smile-- so definitely go and try it on! And if you can, try on Robbie's Maggie too. There are many budget-friendly but lovely gowns out there, its just a matter of finding the right one! I have to stress the fact that you need to have a good idea of your wedding plans before you buy or you'll find yourself a two or three dress bride. But I know you are just looking to see what silouhettes look best on you right now, which is very smart. I'm looking forward to the next round of pics!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I love the simplicity of number 3, and on your frame I think the lines of the dress flatter you more than the other dresses, but it just doesn''t have the wow factor for me. Number 4 is probably my favorite on you, but I still think you could do better! You are gorgeous! I feel like number 2 and 5 just overwhelm you a bit.

E B

Ideal_Rock
You have a great figure that'd look great in a ton of different styles. That being said, I don't like the cut of any of these gowns. They don't look like they're cut well, so they don't really hug/drop/fall where a gown with a better cut would.

Of the necklines, I like the halter on you the best. It highlights your shoulders and back beautifully. I also like the slimmer silhouettes.

Since you haven't yet decided on a venue, you might try on styles similar to this. It could work for either a beach wedding or a garden/vineyard wedding:

Watters 1048B
30.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Wow you are a beauty!! Your shoulders in that halter style really take on a air of statuesque elegance. I agree that your choice should some how accentuate your shoulders. With an updue to show your feminine face. Your posture and shape will be silhouetted...and frankly I think a potato sack will work for you!!

Now I hope you accept that first paragraph as I intended...complementary and sincere...so this next one shouldn''t be as rough...

Here is the critique part you asked for. You did right? Not sure if it is the lighting or what...but all images look to me to prom dress choices. Oooh I know that was a tad strong!! Sorry. My attempt is to express as others have...nothing is really out the ball park yet. That last dress is supposed to be a Cinderella ball gown...the photo doesn''t do it justice...so as I say, it could just be the photograph technique.

I say keep on trying on dresses. You are going to wow us!! I am sure. Just not today. Sorry.

DKS

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much gypsy, sabine, ebree, indygal & dks! I am getting a better idea of what to look at next time.

I live in a VERY small town and one of the two wedding dress shops burned down! So, there is not a lot to choose from.

Next time I go into Calgary I'll have to check out the Maggie and Watters dresses (beautiful Ebree!). They don't carry those 'designer' lines here (haha, you would think I'm talking about Vera Wang...)

So, in summary, when I go to the city I will look at: halter styles, slimmer silhouettes and skinny straps (but not with a high neckline)....

anything else?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/14/2007 4:51:51 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Wow you are a beauty!! Your shoulders in that halter style really take on a air of statuesque elegance. I agree that your choice should some how accentuate your shoulders. With an updue to show your feminine face. Your posture and shape will be silhouetted...and frankly I think a potato sack will work for you!!

Now I hope you accept that first paragraph as I intended...complementary and sincere...so this next one shouldn''t be as rough...

Here is the critique part you asked for. You did right? Not sure if it is the lighting or what...but all images look to me to prom dress choices. Oooh I know that was a tad strong!! Sorry. My attempt is to express as others have...nothing is really out the ball park yet. That last dress is supposed to be a Cinderella ball gown...the photo doesn''t do it justice...so as I say, it could just be the photograph technique.

I say keep on trying on dresses. You are going to wow us!! I am sure. Just not today. Sorry.

DKS

I love your sincerity DKS! I agree, the lighting was horrible! All the dresses looked better IRL. It was in a hotel, not a dress shop so it was really hard to find good lighting until the end when the sun was shining in just so.

You have all made me so excited to go try on more! Enablers! I am in the city this week, but its on business so I don''t think I''ll have time to go shopping. I might just have to make a special trip next weekend...

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Hi shimmer!

I definitely like the look of the halter dress on you, but it doesn''t seem like "the one!" I agree with the others...keep looking and bring us back more pictures! We''ll find your dress yet!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The halter style is very becoming on your square shoulders. I would keep away from straight horizontal necklines as they tend to emphasis your shoulders. But honestly none of these are killer styles on you. You have a very cute figure which isn''t being shown off in these dresses. I like the halter neckline the best on your figure but it looks very Hollywood-cocktail dress. Can I vote to keep looking???

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I had to look once and come back again later to make my decision. You are beautiful, btw! FI and I BOTH prefer #5 on you. FI says that he likes the fuller skirts on you and thinks #5 is definitely the best. I agree...it looks great! I think that other one you posted (the Maggie) also would look beautiful on you.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of these dresses made me say "gosh, I sure hope she gets that one!" but...

I couldn''t help noticing that you were smiling most broadly in the two ballgown-style dresses! I wasn''t crazy about either of those specific dresses, but in general it''s a nice style on you. I hope you try on some more in that sillouette, and some ballgown-style dresses with a dropped waistline (like the last picture you posted).

I also have to say that you look soooo elegant in the halter top dress. I hope you''ll try on a few more of those, too...

and please keep those pictures coming!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results