shape
carat
color
clarity

Outdoor Weddings - what are you doing to keep warm?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It seems like it will be 65-70 degrees for my wedding late next week. I'm wearing a strapless tea length dress and my BMs are wearing similar dresses. I think we're going to be chilly ... I'm sure we can make it through a 15 minute ceremony without freezing, but I want to have something to keep me a little warm in between pictures, during cocktail hour (we have the option to walk outside, and I'd love to do that if it's sunny), etc. 65-70 degrees is my absolute favorite temperature, but I've never done it in a strapless knee length dress before!

What are you girls doing? I was thinking of picking up some pashmina wraps (the cheap $20 kind; not the real ones) but not sure where to get them (does Macy's have stuff like this?). My girls are wearing navy so I figured I'd get myself a dark blue one. What color should I get for them? I don't want us to be running around with jackets over our nice dresses until we get inside for the reception.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
bump! I''m interested in hearing suggestions for this myself!

Pashminas have crossed my mind also. Shrugs?

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Some kind of bolero or really nice cropped cardigan would be good. Pashminas are lovely but the thought of wrangling a giant pashmina and a bouquet doesn''t appeal.
1.gif
You''ll want something that is easily removable but will stay put and not require any thought to keep on.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure how I feel about a cardigan with my dress ... it''s already pretty ''50s styled and I think I''d look like June Cleaver
2.gif
Plus I have really long arms and finding cardigans is murder ... I would have to special order something in a tall size and spend a bit of money on it (unless I could find the perfect 3/4 length sleeve, but I haven''t seen many of those around). I told my BMs that they should definitely bring cardigans though! Their dresses are cotton and would look super cute with a cardigan.

If I did manage to find a cute cardigan at the mall, what color would be appropriate? It seems like either white or dark blue would be the way to go ... but would white look weird because it would be a slightly different color from my dress?

I won''t be wearing anything during the ceremony or in the pics, but I do want something especially for the cocktail hour so I can enjoy the outdoors without freezing. ts44, do you really think a pashmina would get in the way too much? I hadn''t considered that before, since I''ve never worn one (though I wouldn''t be wearing it any time I was carrying my bouquet I guess).

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i love the idea of a pashmina.
I wore one to a friends wedding and to get rid of the whole "scarf" feeling i just draped it (from behind my neck) around my shoulders, pulled the ends under to the back and tied it in a loose knot. It wound up looking more like a bollero and all the women loved it!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Looove your idea, Jcarly. I never would have thought of that!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
you could always grab a couple (small, black) pony tail holders to tie it back as well. i hope i explained how i wraped it, well enough!

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Jcarly''s idea is great. I had actually done this with long scarves and forgotten, it does stay put very nicely, and if the pashmina is long enough you can create a very luxurious looking and decorative knot out of it!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I wore a thin cashmere pashmina at our reception, but it got much colder than I thought and really wasn''t enough. It was around 50 by 10 p.m. and I wished I had a jacket of sorts. By the end of the night I was literally wrapped in a blanket that someone got for me out of their car.

I would try to find some sort of heavy material--silk shantung or something similar--and have a seamstress make a wrap for you. I would also get it long so that you can double it up and make it thicker (or larger) if it gets much cooler. I also love the idea of your wrap matching your BM dresses (or your beautiful shoes, if they are not the same shade)--that''s what I would do.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I get my inexpensive pashminas at Target for $12-15... I think they have them at Walmart sometimes for $10-12 as well. That''s what I take to almost every wedding! very versatile!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Hey el. I was freaking out this weekend because it looks like its going to be in the low 60''s this weekend for our wedding. So, I ran to the nearest street vendor and picked up 10 pashmina''s for 40. If you are planing on coming into the city soon I''d get them here. I didn''t get the really nice ones because I have a million of the street vendor kind and they do the trick. Also, for myself I have a bolero type jacket.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
A pashmina would be great. You can get some gorgeous ones too, it''s just a matter of finding one you love really.

I am going to have the opposite problem, getting married in the tropics in summer, I am going to die in my gown!!!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to head to the mall on Thursday and see if I can find a good cheap pashmina! I also emailed my BMs and reminded them to bring something warm. One''s in Austin and one''s in LA, so I''m sure they''re not even considering the weather (and I know one of them considers 65 worthy of turning on the seat warmers in her car, so I would feel bad if she froze all night
2.gif
).

Katamari, 50 degrees is really cold! Were you outside the whole time? We''ll be inside from 7:30 onwards, so I really hope it''s warm in there. I would hate for all the girls to be wearing their dates jackets. When I go to the mall I''ll see if I can find something warmer just in case; I definitely don''t want to be uncomfortable the whole time.

Trill, great idea! If I can''t find anything at the mall this Thursday I will absolutely run to Target. I wouldn''t have thought of that.

EM1, I''m totally kicking myself for not buying a few off of street vendors when I was down there two weeks ago. I didn''t even consider that the weather would be under 70 for my wedding. I have a friend picking up my BM gifts in NYC (at a chocolate shop that''s only a few blocks from his apartment), but I think asking him to pick out pashmina would be beyond his abilities
2.gif
Haha. And I won''t be able to get back down there unfortunately, but hopefully I can find something similar in CT.

Honey, I think I would choose being chilly over dying of heat any day! Heh. I always feel bad for the guys the most at hot summer weddings as they''re standing around in black tuxes, though I''m sure wearing a big heavy dress isn''t fun in the heat either.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 5:24:11 AM
Author: honey22
A pashmina would be great. You can get some gorgeous ones too, it''s just a matter of finding one you love really.

I am going to have the opposite problem, getting married in the tropics in summer, I am going to die in my gown!!!!
honey, i just wanted to say, i actually used a very light pashmina (one from india, actually) in the BVI during hot days and it was perfect! it kept the sun of my shoulders and helped with sweating. just a thought for you to look into! :)

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
First thing that came to mind for me was a sort of bolero, but short enough in back to still show your dress. And not totally long sleeved, so you don't have to worry about exact sleeve length. Maybe not this exact one, but something like this? Click on the dark blue color - I think that would be pretty.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
LTS, that''s really cute! I never would have thought of going to David''s Bridal to see what they might have. You girls are full of great ideas!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 9:10:26 AM
Author: jcarlylew
Date: 9/15/2009 5:24:11 AM

Author: honey22

honey, i just wanted to say, i actually used a very light pashmina (one from india, actually) in the BVI during hot days and it was perfect! it kept the sun of my shoulders and helped with sweating. just a thought for you to look into! :)

thanks for that sweetie, it''s a good idea that i hadn''t thought of. I was going to think about some silk parasols for the girls, but I hadn''t thought of myself
40.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
it''s going to be about 40-50 degrees for us, and that''s if we''re lucky!!!! ugh november in fargo, wth was i thinking lol

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 3:59:00 PM
Author: ts44
Some kind of bolero or really nice cropped cardigan would be good. Pashminas are lovely but the thought of wrangling a giant pashmina and a bouquet doesn''t appeal.
1.gif
You''ll want something that is easily removable but will stay put and not require any thought to keep on.

You could pin the pashmina on one shoulder with a pretty brooch. Then it would stay wrapped around you, and you''d have your hands free.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
*BUMPED* for Porridge

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 4:07:24 PM
I wore one to a friends wedding and to get rid of the whole ''scarf'' feeling i just draped it (from behind my neck) around my shoulders, pulled the ends under to the back and tied it in a loose knot. It wound up looking more like a bollero and all the women loved it!
I wear a pashmina at work everyday as our office is so cold and my boss asked me to show her how i wear it, as she never manages to keep it in place, so i showed her how i wore it and then she mentioned that she was going to the races on the weekend and she was looking for something a little more formal, so i whipped out jcarlylew''s idea of the bolero and she loved it!!

Brownie points with the boss!! Yay!! Thanks jcarlylew!!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 10:41:59 PM
Author: hawaiianorangetree

Date: 9/14/2009 4:07:24 PM
I wore one to a friends wedding and to get rid of the whole ''scarf'' feeling i just draped it (from behind my neck) around my shoulders, pulled the ends under to the back and tied it in a loose knot. It wound up looking more like a bollero and all the women loved it!
I wear a pashmina at work everyday as our office is so cold and my boss asked me to show her how i wear it, as she never manages to keep it in place, so i showed her how i wore it and then she mentioned that she was going to the races on the weekend and she was looking for something a little more formal, so i whipped out jcarlylew''s idea of the bolero and she loved it!!

Brownie points with the boss!! Yay!! Thanks jcarlylew!!
9.gif
no problem!!

its amazing how easy they are to wear, once you get the hang of them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results