shape
carat
color
clarity

Officiant Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mjso

Shiny_Rock
Just got back from a very eventful wedding planning trip. One of the things we have pretty much completed is our officiant. We have no ties to anyone special to marry us, so we got a list of recommended vendors from our venue.

We decided to look for someone who would do a Catholic-ish ceremony since both of our families are Catholic. We found a guy, he seems really nice, he is available on our date. But, his charge is $550. Is this normal? Expensive? We are getting married in NJ which seems to be on the expensive end for everything wedding related...

It fits into our budget (not like we are splurging on this) but I just feel like that''s a lot of money for what could possibly be less than an hour''s work. Of course, we are going to have a few meetings beforehand to go over stuff, but still...

So I want to know what you guys are spending to see if this is outrageous or not!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That seems really high! I got married abroad so I can''t really comment, except, wow, I think we actually saved money marrying abroad if that''s a normal cost!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Ours was $150 for "in town" and for out of town it was $200 - so when I see $550...yikes!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. Our rabbi doesn''t charge a thing. When people ask, the synagogue says that couples are free to give a donation to his discretionary fund, which is used for scholarships and such.

I think $550 sounds very expensive.

buttercup80

Shiny_Rock
Our rabbi charged $800.
29.gif
Part of the reason for the extremely high fee was that we were not affiliated with any temple and DH is only half Jewish so we had limited options, but this guy, IMO, totally took advantage.

That said, my friend, who IS affiliated with a temple paid her rabbi $400...

So I guess it depends on where in the country you are - we are in the NY metro area where *everything* is more expensive. $550 sounds a bit steep, but not too bad given that it is not someone you have a personal relationship with.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
holy cow! we are having the same issues though. Not as expensive as 550 but as high as 450. The least expensive so far has been 200, however his name is the same as my ex which I can''t get past the ick factor on that one.

It looks as if anytime you are going out of a church and into a venue and have to hire someone to officiate is gets a little expensive. I am even contemplating asking a good friend of mine to get her license just to marry us. It is free online and than you just file your paperwork with your county. Not sure what those fees are though.

She knows us, knows our history, knows what we have been through...it would be even more meaningful for her to do it than someone we don''t know....

Good luck with this one.......I feel your pain.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Most non-denominational officiants in my area range from $300-500, so it doesn''t sound out of line to me. We''re searching for a judge or JP to marry us, though, and I''m planning on about $250 for that but we''ll see how it works out.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
We actually had a friend marry us, but my sister''s officiant at her wedding was only $200, so $550 sounds a little high.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am in Australia, and $500 - $550 seems to be the general fee for a celebrant conducting a non-religious ceremony, so it doesn''t seem that high to us.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
we are getting married in a non-denominational church-but total cost is $700 and that basically covers the officiant and I believe the organist. $550 doesn''t sound too bad, but I would call around just to be sure.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
Wow.. everybody''s answers seem so high to me! We got a list of reccomended officiants, and called one that they recommended most. He is a judge, to performs ceremonies for people on weekends because it''s something he enjoys. And he only charges $10!!! His receptionist said that he does accept donations to charity as well, so we''ll probably donate $100 or so. It sounds like we really lucked out!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In Nor Cal the average was 700 for a decent officiant. 550 for an ex-hippie. I think it sounds about right for the area you are in. I would get references. At least 3. And call them. You want to makes sure he knows how to dress (cleanly), talk, and handle a crowd (politely).

PLUS, many of them REQUIRED they AND THEIR SIGNIFICANT OTHER be guests at the reception. Um... No. My husbands uncle married us, licensed by CA for the event. It was special and meaningful... and very cost effective.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 7:51:06 PM
Author: Octavia
Most non-denominational officiants in my area range from $300-500, so it doesn''t sound out of line to me. We''re searching for a judge or JP to marry us, though, and I''m planning on about $250 for that but we''ll see how it works out.

It is the same in So. FL too. We are paying our officient $400. I got quotes from about 10 people and they came in from $375-$550. There was one that came in at $200, but that was the exception to the rule. So, depending on your location, I don''t think $550 sounds too crazy.

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
That definitely seems a little steep. I''d shop around some more.

mjso

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of your input!!

Seems like it is a bit on the higher end, but not outrageously steep.

He comes well recommended and is not going to be attending the rehersal or the reception which would be $125 plus whatever the rehersal dinner cost ends up being, so I guess I could factor that into the cost assuming someone else might charge less, but attend those functions.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Our JP was $350 total. This included a meeting at his house to discuss details
Him coming to the reheresal dinner
and the ceremony sevices.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Yikes, that sounds like a lot of money! I haven''t booked someone yet so I don''t know what they charge around here (CT/NY region) but I hope it isn''t that much. FI won''t be happy if it''s more than $300 or so. Hopefully you can shop around and find someone cheaper!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the UK and mine was $750... which is the standard rate for a civil wedding not in the town hall.

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Sounds high to me. My officiant cost $250, all fees and travel included. [And he was fantastic! I would get married all over again just so I could work with him again!
2.gif
]

teapot

Shiny_Rock
Catholic priest don''t charge anything for their services, but a donation (usually in the $100 or higher range) is common compensation for their time. You did not say if you were getting married in a church or not, but it sound like you will not have a church ceremony. If you want a catholic-like wedding, have you considered finding a Lutheran priest? They might do ceremonies outside of church since Catholic priest will not. Also as a side note, if you are Catholic and you want your wedding to be considered valid in the eyes of the church, you should request a dispensation from the church.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
we paid 350$ but my best friend - who is also engaged, paid 1500$!!!! she is jewish and her Fi is catholic - they found a jewish lady who specializes in integrating jewish and catholic traditions and she is fully multilingual, speaks english, french and hebrew.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 7:46:06 PM
Author: buttercup80
Our rabbi charged $800.
29.gif
Part of the reason for the extremely high fee was that we were not affiliated with any temple and DH is only half Jewish so we had limited options, but this guy, IMO, totally took advantage.

That said, my friend, who IS affiliated with a temple paid her rabbi $400...

So I guess it depends on where in the country you are - we are in the NY metro area where *everything* is more expensive. $550 sounds a bit steep, but not too bad given that it is not someone you have a personal relationship with.

Members of the clergy charge for officiating weddings of those who are not members of their synagogue/church/etc. BECAUSE you are not a member, and therefore you do not contribute anything to their community by way of dues or participation.

I''ve never heard of a rabbi or cantor charging a member of their synagogue to do their wedding, though. That would be unheard of where I''m from.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
We're getting married in the non-denominational Yosemite Valley chapel and have hired a local retired pastor to be our officiant. He charges $400 which includes his 2-hour round-trip travel, and an hour-long "get to know you" session with us to plan the ceremony. He charges $50 extra for a rehearsal if he has to drive the 2 hours to the chapel for it. Free otherwise. He's already met with us for 1/2 hour when we were "officiant shopping." At first I was really taken aback at the cost, but after looking around, it is competitive. We also love him. He will completely tailor the ceremony to whatever we want.

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
Our wedding was near Pittsburgh, PA and the "suggested donation" for the minister was $250 although we he told us to give whatever we were comfortable with. (this didn''t include the fees for the organist, sexton, church coordinator, etc. we had to pay since we weren''t members of the church) Our ceremony was conducted jointly by a minister and a priest (DH is catholic) so we gave each of them $125. Seems to me like $550 is a lot, but that is less than what we paid when you combine all the other "use of church fees."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results