shape
carat
color
clarity

Odd Wedding Thank You cards...

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
We recieved a "Thank You" card from a wedding that we attended.

I have to say, we've been to more than a few, and I'm pretty sure this is the ONLY one we have ever recieved, so that in itself was nice.

The wedding was Dec 31, 2009.

"Thank you" recieved August 13, 2009. Is this timeframe normal???

Card said, amongst other things, "Thank you for the cash", and also mispelled my name. I've known the groom for 10 years, but his wife clearly wrote the card... Is it normal to "Thank someone for "the cash"?

Also, is cash tackier than a check? I don't prefer checks, because I hate when people don't cash them in a timely manner. I am also going to a wedding in a few days, so it's helpful to know what appropriate protocol is.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Bahaha. Uhh..at least they made the effort?

Did you gift them cash, or a check?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear. I believe the generally accepted time frame is 2 months for Thank Yous...Haven, correct me if I'm wrong!

As for cash vs. check...I think either is perfectly acceptable. I write checks because I rarely carry cash and hate having to make the extra trip to the bank to get it. I'm sure brides and grooms appreciate the actual cash if they're leaving immediately on their honeymoon and don't have time to head to the bank...a little extra spending money never hurt anyone! :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hah!

That's.. really funny, actually :bigsmile:

I definitely think cash is usually the most appreciated gift, whatever medium it's delivered through.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady said:
Bahaha. Uhh..at least they made the effort?

Did you gift them cash, or a check?

We did give them cash, but somehow, "Thank you for the cash" made it seem like it was an incorrect or inappropriate gift. LOL, maybe it just wasn't ENOUGH cash to get a 'thank you for the gift' response. :wink2:

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
A long time ago I seem to remember seeing a "rule" that the happy couple had a year to send thank yous.
Maybe they saw the same rule.
Perhaps they thought "cash" sounded better than naming the amount.
I would probably have said "Thank you for your generous gift".

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that's a little late to be sending the thank you cards but better late than never? I also hate it when people don't cash a check for a while. We cashed our wedding checks two days after the wedding. We wanted spending money for our honeymoon. :Up_to_something:

In terms of cash vs check, maybe some people are worried about theft. Say some wedding crasher ran off with the card box, at least guests who wrote checks could cancel them through their bank. Gawd, I sound like my paranoid mother.

I think "thanks for the cash" is a little weird. I would probably say something like: "Thank you for the generous gift of money! It's going towards repainting our new house. Hope you come visit soon!" Unless you spent the money on beer and pizza. Then maybe just thank them for the gift and leave our specifics. :wink2:

We were married 7/3/10 and I've been avoiding writing my thank you cards like the plague. Your post is inspiring me to get off my lazy arse and just do it! I need to split them up. Like, do five per day or something until they're all done....

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
Better late then never, and your name being spelled wrong ... :???: oh well, her heart is in the right place. Thanks for "the cash" is a little tacky, usually you should say what you planned on putting it towards. A friend of mine recently got married and had some difficulty cashing cheques since people were writing them out to her "married name" and they had to wait until everything was officially changed with that before they could actually cash them. She told me that from now on she will either give a gift or cash.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL-"cash"

I think the phrase we used was "Thank you for your generous gift"

I give cash and prefer to receive cash. It came in handy with our wedding because we left for our honeymoon in Belize the morning after and my ATM card was eaten by a machine the day before. The extra cash on hand was a big help.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
We received a TY card last month from a cousin of FI. She got married out of state on December 19th. It was a very nice card, but after all that time passed, I was worried that my check was cashed by the wrong person or something. I plan on doing my TYs as promptly as possible!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
lol, enjoying everyone's responses!

I think I was a bit surprised because this was a pretty fancy black tie wedding at a posh hotel in SF on New Year's Eve. I think in my mind I thought that because they were both from successful professional families, that their etiquette would be quite good. They are a very nice couple though, and I'm pleased to have gotten a thanks at all, since so many people seem to forego them these days. It seems a sin of omission, though, rather than of commission.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
LMAO....

at least they sent a card....also its better than" Thank you for....ummm, that gift you gave us, it was a gift right?"

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
NO, that time frame is not normal for most people, thankfully! Though we are still waiting on a thank you from a wedding we went to in February... :nono:

I made sure to get ours done within a month of the wedding, and we actually got a few emails thanking us for the prompt thanks! :praise: Hehehe.

That reminds me, our check from a wedding over a month ago hasn't been cashed. You'd think they'd WANT the money! :$$):

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was terrible about my thank you cards. I think I waited almost a year before sending them out. I know, I know, terrible right?

But we did receive some cash and my wording was always "generous gift" but ya know, some people are more literal than others.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I second whoever said checks could be a problem because of the bride's name changing decision. I didn't change my last name, but a lot of people wrote "Jack and Jill HisLastName" on our checks. I forget what the bank told us to do about it (I think maybe just my husband signed those? Or I signed with both my maiden name and hislastname??) Anyway, it worked out, so it wasn't a huge deal, but still cash would have been easier. I think what maybe got to me more was the fact that people just assumed I was changing my name, and didn't stop to consider that maybe I wasn't before writing the check. But then again, they didn't do it maliciously, so I didn't let it bother me too much upon reflection. Still, giving cash would avoid this issue as well.

andex23

Rough_Rock
Trade
I made it my rule that I couldn't "play" with our new toys until we (read I) wrote and mailed the thank you cards. It came in handy when we got back from the honeymoon and most of the TY were already done. I could then throw out the old plates and put in the new ones (Okay, donate the old ones to Goodwill).

I think that I wrote "thank you for the generous check" no matter what the amount was. I then went on to say something like..." we don't know if we should use it for something practical, such as new plates, or if we should splurge and use it for _______." We only got cash from 1 person and DH used it as lunch money the next week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results