shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC harbor cruise ceremony - awesome or cheesy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I will open by saying I am a LIW, this is not real, official wedding planning, BUT...

My boyfriend is in law school right now, and dreaming of working in NYC after he graduates. He''s madly in love with Manhattan and it has sentimental meaning to both of us. We also are both from the west coast and love the water.

Not being from NYC (or the east coast for that matter) I am not sure if this is something that everyone does or is super cheesy or anything. Has anyone ever attended a wedding like this? Was it fun, interesting, tacky?

SassyB

Shiny_Rock
I''m not from the east coast, but in the Seattle, WA area this is very popular!
I think it sounds lovely, especially in the summer !

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like so much fun! It''s done some in SoCal where I live but I''ve never been invited to a wedding like this. I would love to, though!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
In my honest opinion, I am going to say that New Yorkers (which I was until a few years ago) would find this pretty cheesy, particularly if it is done on one of the typical touristy dinner/dance harbor cruise boats (i.e. "Spirit of New York"). Now, I would view it differently if you were talking about renting one of the many beautiful private yachts that are available and doing something unique.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Who''s Wedding is it Anyway or Brideszillas did a wedding onboard a harbor cruise. There are nice boats you can rent to do it and they''re pretty nice. I say go for it!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
i agree that you may have to put a little bit of a unique spin on it so that it doesn''t feel like a tour group around NYC, but something eles to consider is whether people are worried about possibly getting seasick (especially if there is drinking!) I was invited to a harbor cruise wedding once, and was actually concerned about that for DH, since he gets rocked pretty easily haha. But I think if you can pull of something like that you would have some fantastic memories that you couldn''t get by being landlocked!
1.gif

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
my opinion...all weddings are kind of cheesy. if a harbor cruise is something you think you and your guests would enjoy, and it represents you as a couple, then why not!!?! i think it could end up being a really beautiful ceremony....just keep the flowers simple and natural! i like the idea.

loverocks

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 1:47:57 PM
Author: NovemberBride
In my honest opinion, I am going to say that New Yorkers (which I was until a few years ago) would find this pretty cheesy, particularly if it is done on one of the typical touristy dinner/dance harbor cruise boats (i.e. ''Spirit of New York''). Now, I would view it differently if you were talking about renting one of the many beautiful private yachts that are available and doing something unique.
I am from the NY area also, and I ditto this. IMHO - if you have local NYers attending, they are likely to find this a little cheesy. But - if most guests will be from out of state it might be a good option. I also ditto Novemberbride on the yacht idea. There are so many options for NYC you will find the perfect venue no matter what you decide. Best wishes on your (upcoming) engagement and wedding planning!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
My mom and her fiance are doing this, only its a tugboat or ferry on the Mississippi here in MN. I think its awesome! Its YOUR wedding, if you like the idea, go for it! I think it could be a lot of fun!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the honest responses! I would rather do something simpler I think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results