shape
carat
color
clarity

need help with French Canadian wedding invites

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I am sending many invites to Canada from the US and I need to tell our calligrapher exactly how the addresses should be written.

She wants the American addresses to be formatted like this:

Mr. and Mrs. Peter Harris
123 Main Street
Hometown, California 90278

Soooo.... should we write the French canadian addresses using Mr. and Mrs. or Monsieur and Madame, or is there a French abbreviation for Monsieur and Madame?

Monsieur and Madame Peter Harris

And now... how and where do we write the zip code and country?

We were told that a typical address would look like this with Quebec in parenthesis.

387 Maisonneuve
Repentigny (Quebec)
Canada J6A 6K4

or would you write it like this:

387 Maisonneuve
Repentigny, Quebec J6A 6K4
Canada

Thanks for any address etiquette advice!

EyeElle

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

In terms of abbreviations, there are alot that are interchangeable, depending on which part of Quebec one lives in. But generally, this is used:
M. and Mme

As for the address, it is written like this:

Name
Full address
City/Municipality, Province, Postal Code
Country

Here is a link that should help you as well.
http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGaddress-e.asp#1399210

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EyeElle is correct with the abbreviations. Although, Mr. and Mrs. would be fine too. Are these people french or are they english. If they're english, then Mr. and Mrs. would be best.

For the address, your second option was correct:

387 Maisonneuve (missing a street/avenue/court etc here)
Repentigny QC J6A 6K4
Canada

You can write QC instead of Quebec if it's running too long on your envelope and want the address to look more streamlined.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 9:27:42 AM
Author: kama_s
EyeElle is correct with the abbreviations. Although, Mr. and Mrs. would be fine too. Are these people french or are they english. If they''re english, then Mr. and Mrs. would be best.

For the address, your second option was correct:

387 Maisonneuve (missing a street/avenue/court etc here)
Repentigny QC J6A 6K4
Canada

You can write QC instead of Quebec if it''s running too long on your envelope and want the address to look more streamlined.
That was my thought. I''d only use M. and Mme. if they''re french speaking, otherwise Mr. and Mrs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results