shape
carat
color
clarity

My DIY Invites are done! (Pics!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!

I've been so busy, but wanted to come by since you guys helped me so much with my invites and helping me figure out paper options, etc.

This project was so much fun!! I am very happy with the results!. Next week (when my vacation starts!!) I will start making everything else (thank you notes, favor tags, programs, etc).

I definitely do recommend DIY...ONLY if you like doing this stuff!. It is time consuming and if you're anything like me...you're your toughest critic! (so get extra supplies to replace the "rejects").

My vendors:

* Pocketfolds: cardsandpockets.com . I used the Signature pocketfold in Black. They were a pleasure to work with....fast service and very responsive to my questions!.

* Paper/Envelopes:

1) paperandmore.com. I bought the warm white linen paper and envelopes. I ended up printing in a different paper (that looked pretty much the same) because the printing companmy I used was having problems with the paper I brought in. I don't think it was my paper...I think it was their copier!. I didn't have any problems printing on the same paper at Kinkos!.

2) Green backing layer: I initially had ordered the sage pre-cut cardstock from LCIpaper.com and I did not like the color or quality. I ended up buying it at a local scrapbooking store and had it cut at Kinkos. I found the perfect shade to match the colors.

I highly recommend you get a sample before buying your paper!!

* Ribbon and other supplies: Michaels. Who doesn't love Michaels?.

* Printing: I went to a local Sir Speedy and was not happy with the service. Save yourself money and go to Kinkos. (that's where I printed the tags for the ribbons)

* Design: Me :)

* Fonts: Edwardian Script, Copperplate Light and windings2 (for the green design that goes under the damask design).

* Damask: Istockphoto.com.

* Cutting, assembly, etc: Me and some help from FI and FMIL! :)

TIPS:

- Get the "Glue Dots" (the little lines). These things are the best!. They are super strong like glue but without the mess. I used this for everything! (attaching the backing layer to the main invite, attaching that to the pocketfold, attaching the ribbon and the tag that went on top of it!).

- If you can, use pre-cut inserts. If not, then ask about having everything cut for you. Do be careful though...if they're using a copier then there is some "wiggle" so not all the pages have the same exact alignment!!....Due to this I had to cut everything myself. It wasn't too bad, but if you have to make too many invites I wouldn't recommend it!!!.

- When gluing the ribbon, don't make it too tight (it will look better and it will be easier to slide on the pocketfold!).

- Make sure you use a font that can be seen on other computers. I had to make last minute changes because the dingbat I selected (from vmdesigns1) didn't work properly on other computers).

Without further ado...................

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realize I looked like I had not slept in ages! hahaha....

As a matter of fact, I''ve been stressing about not getting done in time so I haven''t had much sleep...so apologies for the dark circles under my eyes
5.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
All the inserts (sorry about the poor quality for this pic!). This is actually a picture of the mock-up one....but they look the same (just a different green backing layer on this one, but you can barely tell in this pic)

allopen_mand.jpg

FLgirl41

Shiny_Rock
They look amazing!!! Great job!

Great tip about the glue dots, I haven''t gotten even close to doing invites, but I was wandering how to do it without the mess of glue. Where can you get the glue dots?

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I got them at AC Moore. They also sell them at the scrapbooking stores but I found that they are more expensive there! (4.99 vs 3.99!)...

They have all shapes, I would recommend the short lines (the Purple box).

M~

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh I LOVE the black brocade-type pattern!!! Great job, they look totally professional!!!

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Wowsers, Mandarine. These are amazing! Like, you could do them professionally! I was working on my DIY invites all weekend, and now I see that I''m still a DIY rookie.
2.gif

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I should have read more carefully the first time and asked my question then....

So did you print the damask pattern directly onto the cardstock? Or was that glued on separately?

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
You look so darn happy putting together those invites!

They look fabulous and I really do love them!

Congrats on being able to check something else off the list of to do things!!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys!!!

It will be hard putting them in the mail...they''re my babies! I will have separation anxiety...lol

Karasue: The damask print I got from istockphoto and it is printyed directly on the cardstock (along with the text). Just make sure you use high quality high resolution designs so that it looks professional when it prints (that is why I decided to buy the design from istockphoto rather than downloading a free one). If you have more questions ask away!!! I''m happy to help if I can!

M~

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Love Love Love them!!!
36.gif

Better than any professional invites I''ve seen! YAY!

Can I ask - how many invites are you sending out? I just want to get a general idea of how my DIY invites you had to do! I just don''t have the patience to undertake a project like this! I wish I had your will power Mandarine!!!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
haha Cleopatra...I''m only doing like 60 or so...so it''s not too bad! :)
For me it''s sort of theraupetic to do stuff with my hands...but that''s me...I know for some people it''s the complete opposite, so it just depends!
It really wasn''t bad at all, but I guess I didn''t have to make that many.

M~

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
They look so so gorgeous!! I am totally dreading doing diy invites but you look so happy doing it. It really shows in the finished product!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for posting this!! I''m going to do my own also and I also want to do the pocketfolds with the different inserts. They look so professional. Congrats on getting them done!

happy in love

Shiny_Rock
Mandarine,

Great job!!! I love how they turned out!
The organization of your workspace is an inspiration to me!
20.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
That looks awesome. Nice job!

You will have some impressed guests...

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
MANDARINE- girl!! Your invites look FABULOUS. I love the brocade print, and of course the pocketfolds.

Glad to know that you went with cardsandpockets. The mother/daughter team there is so easy to work with. Luv ''em!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Girl, you are crazy. Just looking at all that work makes me want to jump off a cliff!

But it was worth it...they are simply GORGEOUS...and more importantly, perfectly YOU.
36.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mandarin, you did a BEAUTIFUL job!

And I am also impressed with how well you prepared your workspace, everything you needed to work with at arm''s length (I''m a Professional Organizer, so I always notice things like that).

I am considering doing my own invites, and the information you provided here will definitely help. How long did the actual layout take you? What software did you use for the design/layout?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results