shape
carat
color
clarity

My band just canceled... three weeks before the wedding

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe this is happening. Music is such an important part of the wedding. We found the *one* band that plays according to our tastes in this entire region of Italy we're getting married in, and three weeks before the wedding, they are playing in a concert and a drunk/drugged audience member gets up on stage to punch the lead singer in the face. The singer now can't hear anymore and doesn't know yet if he'll get his hearing back.

I feel terrible for the guy and I hope he recovers fully. This is his livelihood! Of course his health is more important than my one day, but... still... what am I supposed to do now?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mscushion said:
I can't believe this is happening. Music is such an important part of the wedding. We found the *one* band that plays according to our tastes in this entire region of Italy we're getting married in, and three weeks before the wedding, they are playing in a concert and a drunk/drugged audience member gets up on stage to punch the lead singer in the face. The singer now can't hear anymore and doesn't know yet if he'll get his hearing back.

I feel terrible for the guy and I hope he recovers fully. This is his livelihood! Of course his health is more important than my one day, but... still... what am I supposed to do now?

Oh no! Goodness, I hope he's okay, and that you can find another band in time - do you have a wedding coordinator on the job? Or perhaps you can hire one for just this purpose?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
Oh no! Goodness, I hope he's okay, and that you can find another band in time - do you have a wedding coordinator on the job? Or perhaps you can hire one for just this purpose?

I do have a coordinator at the venue, but she is really, truly, awful. I never posted about her because most of the time I'm just busy doing all the stuff she should be doing but isn't, but after the wedding I may write a review of her just so that it's known on the www how useless she is. So yeah, she's "working" on it, but I bet if we find a new band at all, it'll be me who does so.

I'm really upset. Planning this wedding has been so difficult, for many reasons, and frankly, I'm not sure I'll even be able to enjoy my own wedding because I'm holding so much frustration inside of me. This is just the latest thing.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Have you spoken directly with the band?
Would it be possible for them to use another singer just for this occasion?
Most musicians have many musician friends.
Or play some instrumental sets and maybe even some karaoke for the guests?
Perhaps some compromise can be reached.

I second MissMina's suggestions. Good luck to you! What lousy timing for an episode of "When Drunks Attack!"

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the good suggestion! I'll check to see whether they can still send the band sans singer.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the members of the band that cancelled can recommend other bands you may like.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, ladies, I've followed your advice and fired off a bunch of questions. The problem is that the choice of bands in Italy in FI's and my style is extremely limited -- we were looking not for the typical piazza crooners but for a genuine concert rock and pop band who speaks good English and when we found a great one, we were thrilled -- and now we're extremely disappointed. Perhaps they can send another singer, but it won't be the same.

The way it will probably pan out is that we'll substitute a DJ. Now, that's not the end of the world at all, I know a lot of weddings have great, fun DJs, it's just that I really wanted this band and so the disappointment is still great.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mscushion said:
Thanks, ladies, I've followed your advice and fired off a bunch of questions. The problem is that the choice of bands in Italy in FI's and my style is extremely limited -- we were looking not for the typical piazza crooners but for a genuine concert rock and pop band who speaks good English and when we found a great one, we were thrilled -- and now we're extremely disappointed. Perhaps they can send another singer, but it won't be the same.

The way it will probably pan out is that we'll substitute a DJ. Now, that's not the end of the world at all, I know a lot of weddings have great, fun DJs, it's just that I really wanted this band and so the disappointment is still great.

::HUGS:: this is one frustration a bride definitely does NOT need three weeks before The Day!

Don't lose hope on finding another band - if there's one there are definitely others, it's just a matter of finding/vetting/booking. But, I'm also not one to truly believe things happen for a reason, so I'd say start hunting for that DJ, too :sick:

It's awfully disappointing, but I do promise that your wedding will be an event to remember and cherish no matter how this pans out.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully something can be worked out.
I was at a friend's wedding where there was apparently some kind of miscommunication
and the band just didn't show up.
They scrambled and found a DJ and few guests were the wiser.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
What a lousy thing to have happen, all around. The poor singer! And trying to make it all happen in Italy too. I agree that your best bet seems to be looking for an amazing DJ. I bet that will still give you a few options to choose from whereas the band sounds like they were a needle in a haystack. A good DJ will keep the dancing lively and definitely provide for an amazing night. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results