shape
carat
color
clarity

Maggie Sottero...fit true to size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I''m just curious...you should go by her measurement chart, correct? NOT the "sizes?"

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I went up 1 size from my normal- I wear a 12 and got a 14 in Maggie. I ended up getting it taken in so it was probably a 12 in the end. But, wedding dress shopping was great for me because I''m tall and built the way most dresses are made.
Which one are you thinking of?

Good luck!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
On the other hand, I went down a size, from street clothes 12 to Maggie 10, style is Mileta. MelissaSue pointed out that it''s probably because I''m a pear body type, smaller upper body and large hips and thighs, and I bought an A-line off the rack (so didn''t have to use measurement chart at all - bought the store''s sample!) so my bust and waist measurements are the ones that "count", not the hips, which a ball gown or A-line skirt will account for.

With all clothes, especially wedding dresses, IMHO, you should go with measurement charts, not with the number on the tag because that will change from designer to designer and even within a designer''s seasonal lines sometimes!! I''ve got Canyon River Blues (Sears brand) jeans that are a size 13 and tight, but Abercrombie size 8 that I''m swimming in.

GO WITH HER MEASUREMENT CHART!!!!!!!!!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the time I am a size 8 pants, sometimes 10 depending on the style. My Maggie "Mariella" was a size 10, and fit just fine...of course the corset makes it quite easy. My feeling is that a size 12 would have worked to, but the corset width would have been smaller. I went with 10 because the sample I tried on was also a 10, so I never went with the measurement chart.

I loooovvvvvveeeee Maggie dresses. The new styles are so gorgeous, and now many more have the option of corset back or a different style back from what I''ve heard!!

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I love the "Rita." I''m very short, very tiny and always looking for a more form-fitting dress and this looks great! I love the dropped waist too...

Looking over the size charts I''m sort of all over the place...all but my hips would fit into a size 2 (I think) so I should (someday!!) get a size 4?

rms

Brilliant_Rock
oh, I love the "Rita" dress!!! Really elegant...what a beautiful choice! I could have never gotten away with wearing that one...but if I had it would have been a good story to tell for me...
2.gif

Are you going with that one for sure? I would love to see pics if you do...of course no matter what you choose I would love to see pics!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a maggie, but just a note on sizing, jcjd and rms mentioned they ordered/bought according ot the sample size, and that should be taken case by case because oftentimes samples are stretched out a lot from a lot of girls trying them on... so I think you should always go by the chart, regardless!

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture from Bridesave.com of the "Rita" Maggie Sottero has several others that I like too but this one caught my eye.

mgs349m.jpeg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 6:22:35 PM
Author: flopkins
I don't have a maggie, but just a note on sizing, jcjd and rms mentioned they ordered/bought according ot the sample size, and that should be taken case by case because oftentimes samples are stretched out a lot from a lot of girls trying them on... so I think you should always go by the chart, regardless!

Totally agree flopkins. I bought the sample, so I didn't have to worry about discrepancies between the stretched out sample and the real size of the ordered gown.

To answer your last question northstar, you buy according to the largest measurement. If your bust fits size 9, your waist and hips fit size 6, you order the size 9. It is WAY easier to take in a dress than to let out a dress! ALWAYS GO WITH THE MEASUREMENT CHART!!!!!
9.gif

The Rita is gorgeous!!! What curves! Ooooh la la!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I have a maggie - it''s "paulette". I''m a 10 in clothes and a freakin 14 in my wedding dress. I was cursed with giant knockers, so they had to overcompensate - booooooooo. I don''t get it, if a girl is supposed to feel beautiful in the wedding dress, why not just make the sizes bigger and stick a smaller SIZE NUMBER on ther to make us feel better?

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Ah.. the wonderful wedding dress size discussions. Agree with everyone''s advice up above. 1) Buy according to that specific designers sizing chart. 2) Buy the size to fit your largest measurement. 3) Have the seamstress/store clerk measure you, not measuring yourself.

Wedding sizes are depressing. In normal street clothes I wear a 12 usually. I had to buy my wedding dress in an 18!!!!! (A bit well endowded, not that i am complaining.) Now however, the dress is in. And my first fitting is next week. I tried the dress on *just to see* this weekend and ITS HUGE. Mainly b/c I''ve also lost 24 lbs. since I bought the dress (am aiming for a total of 35 before the wedding.) So, now, I know I am going to have to pay a ton for alterations.. but I guess I shouldn''t complain overly much.. by the time the seamstress basically remakes the dress it will look like it was MADE for me.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
That rita gown is STUNNING. There is another new one this season the Madalyn I believe that is similar to that but with more lace. I love that one too. I only tried on one Maggie dress, the Shayla.. I think it was a sample size 10, It was big.. but with the corset back, they made it fit pretty good. My gown on the other hand the sample size 10 fit really well.. and sadly.. I am a size 2-4 in regular clothes.. I don''t THINK i''m funny shaped, but I am apparently not shaped for bridal gowns. But I know that the maggie dress was bigger than some of the other bridal samples so I''m guessing it runs CLOSER to size than some other designers.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
What do you mean that you''re not shaped for bridal gowns...who is?? That''s why there are tailors! OMG...I''ve spend a fortune over the years getting things taken in to fit...I was taking some jeans in to be taken up at the hem and in at the butt and my friend asked me if they could do that...I said yes but it costs $$$!! I hate shopping for dresses...

What made me like this one was the fitted skirt and dropped waist...I have a tiny waist wider hips and literally no butt so an A-line probably wouldn''t have worked.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
lol - I know no one is shaped exactly for bridal gowns.. except JCJD whose dress needs no alterations..
3.gif

I just meant I don''t get why I need to wear such a giantic size in bridal. Everyone else seems to need to go up one size.. maybe two.. but I have to go up 4 sizes!!! From a 2 to a 10?! Thats why I say I''m not bridal dress shaped. I''ll just need to get my size 10 dress taken in at the bust and the hem.. everything else will most likely fit perfectly. My boobs are shrinking again too.. so I may have to have a LOT taken in in the bust. lol..

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2005 11:45:50 AM
Author: MelissaSue
lol - I know no one is shaped exactly for bridal gowns.. except JCJD whose dress needs no alterations..
3.gif

I just meant I don''t get why I need to wear such a giantic size in bridal. Everyone else seems to need to go up one size.. maybe two.. but I have to go up 4 sizes!!! From a 2 to a 10?! Thats why I say I''m not bridal dress shaped. I''ll just need to get my size 10 dress taken in at the bust and the hem.. everything else will most likely fit perfectly. My boobs are shrinking again too.. so I may have to have a LOT taken in in the bust. lol..

Ha ha!!!
9.gif
Actually, it needs about 8 inches taken off the hem, cause I''m short and squatty - LOL! I''m 5''5". I''m a bit worried about the beadwork on the hem and the seamstress having to redo the organza edging - I LOVE its soft scallopy look from the rolled hem, and I don''t want it changed!! Of course, I don''t want to wear stilts walking down the aisle either....
19.gif

The lace-up bodice helps a LOT with me needing no alterations though. I highly recommend that look!! And it makes me curvy!!! Woo-hoo!

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
JCJD... Can your seamstress take the dress up from the waist and not touch the bottom of the dress? That is what mine is planning on doing since I have a detailed beaded edging all along the bottom of the dress. It costs a bit more, but insures the integrity of the bottom''s design. Maybe you could check that out.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
my best friend is 4''11" and her wedding gown has a ton of lace and beading at the bottom, and it had the scalloping They assured he when she bought it that they would be able to preserve that when it was shortened. When she went for her first fitting they told her that it was going to be difficult and that they should probably just chop some of it off! She of course told them.. "NO! You''re not chopping any of it off".. And they didn''t. Her alterations were expensive.. but she needed about a foot taken off for the hem (took them three tries to get it short enough!) and she had to have the top taken out in the bust and the waist. But it CAN be done. I''m only 5''6" so I wouldn''t call you short OR squatty.

Then there is my best friends fiances sister who is about the same height as me and is refusing to have her bridesmaid dress altererd for my friends wedding. She says she''s just going to get really high shoes! but the shoes I got have about a 3" heel and the dress is STILL too long. Needless to say, her fiances sister is the PROBLEM BM.. she doesn''t even HAVE her shoes yet.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Second on taking the skirt up at the waistline.

Fortunatly i dont need hemming (at 6''0", i needed to order extra long, but im wearing flatish shoes, so its okay), but asked out of curiosity how they do it when the bottoms are so detailed... they said they take them up at the waist. My problem is the bust... i dont have one!
39.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
lindsal - The organza overlay is one continuious piece over the entire dress, so they wouldn''t be able to take it up from the waist. There isn''t a ton of beading on the hem, but the overlay is sort of layered, and there''s beading on the part that drapes down from my hip to the opposite side hemline that I''m worried about.

Melissa - thanks for the story about your friend''s hemline experience. It definitely makes me feel better about it!! I wonder if they could cut the organza just above the beading and sew that back on after they''ve taken enough off..... that would definitely save on labor costs, but I don''t want a fraying edge above my beadwork! I guess this means I should start shopping for a seamstress!!! AAAAAAAAAAACK! So much work to do!!!!!
26.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my gown!!! Maggie Mileta!!
MILETA.jpg

I tried to zoom in on the bodice so you all can see why taking the dress up from the waist is a no-go. There isn't a waistline, so the organza overlay would have to be hemmed up under the draped bodice, and they'd have to put in a waistline where none exists.... The beading goes down from the asymmetrical draped part at the waist down to the other side of the waist, but at the hem, if that makes sense.

MiletaZoomBodice.JPG

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
my fiances mom used to be a seamstress in a dress alteration shop.. and she told me that with gowns with a lot of beading and lace, that they actually take all the beading and lace OFF and move it up. As far as your dress goes, JC, you don''t really have any beading that needs to be moved, I bet a good seamstress could just recreate the hemline on the organza though. THe train obviously doesn''t need to get altered, so that part would be fine.. just the front, and that doesn''t look like it has as much detailing to the cut of it anyway.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t gotten my dress yet, but I think I only need to hem it and make a bustle. Everything else fit perfectly when I tried on the sample at Davids. Hopefully it''s not because it was stretched out from others trying it on, so I don''t have to get too much alterations. I went one size up from my street clothes size.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking about this...I know that everyone seems to work out to get that buff body for that beautiful day. Has this happened to anyone before? I found this lovely dress for a formal event and being me I bought it on sale and held onto it. Needless to say this happened in college when I worked out a lot more so when I had it fitted in September by the time November rolled around I could barely zip it up! I guess all my weightlifting had pumped up my upper body!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
that happened to me with my senior prom dress, but I don''t think it was from working out TOO much. I bought it when it just BARELY fit.. then when I tried it on closer to prom.. wouldnt zip. I ended up going braless and the extra room from no bra was enough to make it zip though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results