shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my cake too small?

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ,

I just met with my cake designer today and she said that my cake would 4 round tiers, 6'',8'',10'',14'' and that the total height would be 16''. The cake is going to feed about 100 guests. Is this cake too small? She did mention that I could add a faux bottom tier that would be 16'' and that the would increase the height to 20''. It is however $100 more for this. Is it worth it?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's too small as long as it will feed all of the people!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I agree with slg- as long at it's large enough to feed everyone with the portion size you have in mind, it's big enough.

I personally don't agree with spending $100 on cake I can't eat. Period.

However, if it's worth it to you to have something twice the height and thus more dramatic, in the grand sceme of things $100 probably isn't going to break the bank - so if you really want it, do it.

How much would it cost to get a 5th real cake layer as opposed to the fake one?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that sounds too small at all! What will it look like?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Smaller cakes can be darling! I agree with the others that if the baker says it will give everyone a piece then it is plenty big. Why pay for something that won't get eaten (and I think this sentiment applies towards that $100 false bottom layer). My cake was for 40 people and was 4, 6, and 8 inches in diameter. I LOVED it and it was a nice addition to the decor (minimal decor, at best) of the room.

Attaching a picture of the cake in action. The table wasn't huge so it didn't dwarf the cake too much.

5574_613738501104_14300210_36362081_952931_n.jpg

rprunell

Rough_Rock
Always try to keep in mind that this is your wedding. This is your special day.

That being said a 16 inch tall cake is plenty big for a wedding of 100 people. If you are worried about how other people will look at the cake, the men will look at it and think "I can't wait until I can have a piece." All the women will look at the cake as part of the whole package. As long as it's a wedding all women will be thinking about there own weddings. However, if you want a bigger cake then go for it. Your wedding is a good time to splurge and spend some money.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I am already so over budget with the wedding that I didnt even want to ask how much more expensive it would be to have a real fifth tier as opposed to a faux tier. I just wish I could visualize what the real difference would be adding 4 inches of height to bring the cake to 20 inches tall and what a five tier cake with a 16 inch diameter looks like!
Another thing to consider is that my venue is really large with very high cathedral ceilings. I am worried that my cake might look even smaller in such a massive room.
The design we chose for the cake is a gold embossed design that matches the design on my wedding outfit ( saree). I love peonies so there is going to be one very large sugar flower peony in the center. I wonder if the design will not look as pretty with 5 tiers? Wonder if the flower wont seem in proportion? This is what the cake will look like.
We are really excited about our cake flavors. We are going to have two choices..red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and caramel buttercream..and a chocolate chip cake with alternating layers of white chocolate buttercream and passionfruit buttercream.

Gold-Embossed-Cake.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Hospatogi|1330541406|3137477 said:
I am already so over budget with the wedding that I didnt even want to ask how much more expensive it would be to have a real fifth tier as opposed to a faux tier. I just wish I could visualize what the real difference would be adding 4 inches of height to bring the cake to 20 inches tall and what a five tier cake with a 16 inch diameter looks like!
Another thing to consider is that my venue is really large with very high cathedral ceilings. I am worried that my cake might look even smaller in such a massive room.
The design we chose for the cake is a gold embossed design that matches the design on my wedding outfit ( saree). I love peonies so there is going to be one very large sugar flower peony in the center. I wonder if the design will not look as pretty with 5 tiers? Wonder if the flower wont seem in proportion? This is what the cake will look like.
We are really excited about our cake flavors. We are going to have two choices..red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and caramel buttercream..and a chocolate chip cake with alternating layers of white chocolate buttercream and passionfruit buttercream.

I think as long as the cake is on a reasonably sized table, it is fine. Obviously you don't want a 8" cake to be the only thing on a 72" table! but not everyone will have a kim kardashian sized cake! I think the cake design you chose is lovely :)

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1330488012|3136979 said:
I don't think it's too small as long as it will feed all of the people!

Will she be on hand to do the cutting? If so, you'll probably be fine. Your picture is gorgeous!
If the baker won't be there to cut, make sure you know what size piece she is expecting cut and have someone on hand who is experienced with that.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
That cake is GORGEOUS.

One thing to consider - if you want more height, get a big cake stand with a lot of presence.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1331070150|3142140 said:
That cake is GORGEOUS.

One thing to consider - if you want more height, get a big cake stand with a lot of presence.

Oh my word that cake is fantastically beautiful!!! I think peony will be fine whether you choose 4 or 5 tiers. But I'm with everyone else...if you're already over budget, why pay for something you won't use/eat/etc?

I think SB hit the nail on the head: get thyself a gorgeous cake stand with height and oomph and you won't even miss that extra tier! And like one of the previous posters said...just make sure the cake table is an appropriate size for the cake and whatever you intend to be displayed with it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies,
Thanks so much for all the advice! I am goin to start looking for a pretty cake stand. The lady is just delivering the cake and my florist is going to decorate the table with candles and rose petals. The venue has their own staff that will cut and serve the cake. My friend suggested that I request a smaller replica of my cake be made so that I can be sure I like the design and cake flavors. Did any of you do this?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Hospatogi|1331324357|3145161 said:
Hi Ladies,
Thanks so much for all the advice! I am goin to start looking for a pretty cake stand. The lady is just delivering the cake and my florist is going to decorate the table with candles and rose petals. The venue has their own staff that will cut and serve the cake. My friend suggested that I request a smaller replica of my cake be made so that I can be sure I like the design and cake flavors. Did any of you do this?
Umm...no. I would say that is not common at all. Cake tasting, yes, but not a replica.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
sillyberry|1331330035|3145221 said:
Hi Ladies,
Umm...no. I would say that is not common at all. Cake tasting, yes, but not a replica.

I thought it was unusual too but a few of my coworkers also had this done so I wasnt sure. I know I am a picky bride but I feel like you have to have sometimes give your vendors a little bit of creative freedom...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are fixating honey. That's a very arduous intense design and getting a 'mock up' will cost nearly as much as the orignal. I assume you vetted the vendor and have seen similar designs from her portfolio-- so you trust your vendor or you don't.

Even if it is slightly off the sky will not rain blood and the heavens won't collapse into the ocean. It's a cake. And it will be a beautiful cake.

Take a deep breath, trust your vendor and it will all be okay.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Hospatogi|1331350210|3145401 said:
Hi Ladies,

I thought it was unusual too but a few of my coworkers also had this done so I wasnt sure. I know I am a picky bride but I feel like you have to have sometimes give your vendors a little bit of creative freedom...

I actually hated my cake .. I never saw it until the wedding day and I was beyond disappointed. I regret leaving it to my husband but he was adamant that he was going to deal with the cake.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
uh, what? $100 for a 16 inch cake that isn't real??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1331397461|3145605 said:
Hospatogi|1331350210|3145401 said:
Hi Ladies,

I actually hated my cake .. I never saw it until the wedding day and I was beyond disappointed. I regret leaving it to my husband but he was adamant that he was going to deal with the cake.

And yet you are happily married just the same =) .

Any pics of this monstrosity Charmy? Inquiring minds and all that, you know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results