shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it tacky to have a keg at a wedding reception?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
At my venue we are fortunate to be able to purchase and bring in our own alcohol for our wedding reception. We''ve decided that we are going to have wine/champage and beer. FI wants the beer to come from a keg, because it''ll be half the cost of buying bottled beer. My mom just about had a fit when we told her the idea, because she thinks that it''s tacky.

Here is where we are getting married, if that will go into your opinion: http://www.amoa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=fac_laguna

What do you all think? Keg or no Keg?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It depends how you do the keg. We had a keg at our wedding - it was behind the bar, in a cooler thing, and hooked up to a tap. So it wasn't a "keg" so much as "beer on tap"
3.gif

If your only way of using the keg is to put it in a bucket of ice and have someone to pump it and pour out of the little tap thing, I wouldn't do it. You don't want it to look like a frat party.

Talk with your venue and ask about their abililty to handle kegs - they probably have some method to put it behind the bar and make it inconspicuous. Our venue could handle small kegs, but not your typical "half keg" size, so we were somewhat limited in what we could get based on the sizes each beer was available in. But that was because our venue had to buy it through distributors (by NY law) and they had limited options. If you're buying it yourself you should be able to get any size that the venue needs.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
No way! But, yeah, totally depends on the presentation...a keg tapped in a bucket of ice, not so pretty.

Also, I love beer and draft is WAY WAY better than bottled, always!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A keg in a garbage can with ice (like college)...No way...but in one of those container things that has a tap on
it and hides the actual keg...dont see a problem with that. Your venue looks incredible!

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I wouldn''t either.

Mostly because your venue is so incredible...I don''t think it would really fit in with the rest of the wedding?
But ultimately it is your wedding and your choice.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that it''s all about the presentation. If it looks like a keg you''d have at a frat party, then I wouldn''t do it. If it''s set up at the bar as Elrohwen mentioned, then I would.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Off topic, but Lilylover, your venue is gorgeous! I live in Austin but am getting married in Pennsylvania. If I were getting married in Austin, I would love to have your venue!!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s fine if the bartender is serving each beer and the keg is out of sight. We are doing this, as our venue also allows us to purchase and bring our own alcohol. Thumbs up for saving a few bucks!

Plus, I much prefer to see half-empty or empty pilsner glasses sitting around on the tables than bud light bottles.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2010 9:44:19 PM
Author: megumic
I think it''s fine if the bartender is serving each beer and the keg is out of sight. We are doing this, as our venue also allows us to purchase and bring our own alcohol. Thumbs up for saving a few bucks!

Plus, I much prefer to see half-empty or empty pilsner glasses sitting around on the tables than bud light bottles.
Ditto this! Our favors were actually glasses, so all beer was served in glasses. We only had one beer on tap and a few options in bottles, but the bar tenders poured the bottles into glasses too. Definitely more classy than having beer bottles all over the place!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that it''s all about presentation. Assuming your venue can hide the keg and it will just look like you have beer on tap, then I think it''s preferable to purchasing bottles and having the bartenders pour the beer from bottles into glasses, which is what we did at our wedding. There was no way we were going to allow them to serve bottles of beer, but they didn''t have the capability to dress up a keg, so it just felt like so much waste.

Still, much better to serve in glasses than bottles. I''ve never seen bottles served at a wedding, so maybe a lot of people have kegs that are hidden, and you just never knew it!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2010 11:56:23 AM
Author: Haven
I agree that it's all about presentation. Assuming your venue can hide the keg and it will just look like you have beer on tap, then I think it's preferable to purchasing bottles and having the bartenders pour the beer from bottles into glasses, which is what we did at our wedding. There was no way we were going to allow them to serve bottles of beer, but they didn't have the capability to dress up a keg, so it just felt like so much waste.

Still, much better to serve in glasses than bottles. I've never seen bottles served at a wedding, so maybe a lot of people have kegs that are hidden, and you just never knew it!
I went to a wedding where all of the beer was served in bottles. They would give you a glass if you wanted it, but then you just had a bottle and a glass on your table. And after the first hour I had to pay $5 per beer too!
38.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2010 1:13:42 PM
Author: elrohwen
Date: 2/21/2010 11:56:23 AM

Author: Haven

I agree that it''s all about presentation. Assuming your venue can hide the keg and it will just look like you have beer on tap, then I think it''s preferable to purchasing bottles and having the bartenders pour the beer from bottles into glasses, which is what we did at our wedding. There was no way we were going to allow them to serve bottles of beer, but they didn''t have the capability to dress up a keg, so it just felt like so much waste.

Still, much better to serve in glasses than bottles. I''ve never seen bottles served at a wedding, so maybe a lot of people have kegs that are hidden, and you just never knew it!

I went to a wedding where all of the beer was served in bottles. They would give you a glass if you wanted it, but then you just had a bottle and a glass on your table. And after the first hour I had to pay $5 per beer too!
38.gif

Hmmmm...we had our beer served in bottles at our wedding, and it didn''t seem to be a big deal. I couldn''t imagine drinking my corona w/ lime any other way!! People could have it poured into glasses if they wanted to, and I can''t really think of many weddings where it was served any other way (besides from a tap). Maybe it''s a regional thing.

We also were able to bring in our own alcohol, but they didn''t allow kegs d/t the fact that they didn''t have a classy way of serving it. But I''d go for kegs- you can get some good microbrews in kegs!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as it''s kept out of site, it''s fine.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to use the word tacky but I definitely wouldn''t do it, I''m also not a fan of beer bottles. Some things are better left in college I think.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
If it''s behind the bar and just advertised as "on tap" I think that''s totally fine. Otherwise, I would think it was kind of tacky...

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
We had one that was hidden behind the bar as well :)

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think it''s tacky at all. Like most other people mentioned as long as it''s not just a keg in the middle of the room. LOL You gotta have draft beer at your wedding! Yum!!!!!!! :)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
As long as no one is doing keg stands, it's totally fine!

ETA: We had bottles at our wedding because we would have had to buy something for the keg in order for them to serve it. I don't remember what it was (something to pressurize maybe?), but it was just easier to buy cases of beer.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 4:41:09 PM
Author: sunnyd
As long as no one is doing keg stands, it''s totally fine!

ETA: We had bottles at our wedding because we would have had to buy something for the keg in order for them to serve it. I don''t remember what it was (something to pressurize maybe?), but it was just easier to buy cases of beer.
dangit! we''re doing keg stands at ours!!!!!!!!!!!

i kid...
11.gif

Ours will be kept behind the bar as well. It is far cheaper for us to purchase kegs, plus we can get the beer we really like only in kegs (Mac & Jacks).

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Your venue is gorgeous. I see your mom''s point. Just figure out a way to keep the keg hidden, if you go that route.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
As a guest I wouldn''t even think twice about it. Your post had me reflecting on weddings I''ve been to and I recall one where there was a keg outisde of the tent. The venue was quite upscale (a hotel in Coronado) and I didn''t even bat an eye at the keg. Perhaps I''m wierd, but things like that don''t even register as important to me and I certainly didn''t think the hosts were tacky for having it there.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Also, not only do I absolutely think it''s fine, I don''t find ANYTHING that a host provides for the benefit of their guests "tacky". The only thing I personally find "tacky" at a wedding (or any hosted event) is asking guests to pay for things (be that gifts, food or drink). Keg = more free beer for everyone = awesome!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i think its fine as long as people aren''t doing kegstands and funneling
9.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2010 12:06:48 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love

Also, I love beer and draft is WAY WAY better than bottled, always!

Agreed. DH is from a family of brewers and they would be horrified if we served anything bottled or canned. Plus, it is a far greener option.

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
I definitely think a keg is a great idea- it''s a wonderful way to save money (and help out the environment!), and, like many other members have said, if it''s kept out of sight, no one will even know the difference anyways!

My man and I are planning on doing the same thing- though we have to make sure the keg is definitely kept out of sight-- I''ll be inviting lots of rugby brothers and sisters, and if they see that keg, there would be NO way to keep them from doing keg stands.
3.gif

cinnamongurl

Shiny_Rock
We are doing kegs at our wedding this summer, and while we are keeping it pretty casual, we don''t want to have the kegs out in the open either!

The contact person for the alcohol told me they have "blue containers" for the kegs and that we''ll have to pay for the taps from the distributor. Would this look like beer on tap...does anyone have a picture of kegs at a wedding that is behind a bar?

I guess I''m just not able to picture it and am not quite sure what is meant by "blue containers" for the kegs...any advice, pictures, or help is appreciated!

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 1:09:27 PM
Author: cinnamongurl
We are doing kegs at our wedding this summer, and while we are keeping it pretty casual, we don''t want to have the kegs out in the open either!

The contact person for the alcohol told me they have ''blue containers'' for the kegs and that we''ll have to pay for the taps from the distributor. Would this look like beer on tap...does anyone have a picture of kegs at a wedding that is behind a bar?

I guess I''m just not able to picture it and am not quite sure what is meant by ''blue containers'' for the kegs...any advice, pictures, or help is appreciated!
I have a feeling they are going to be a drum barrel type thing. Something like these...

drum_barrel2141.jpg

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 1:09:27 PM
Author: cinnamongurl

The contact person for the alcohol told me they have ''blue containers'' for the kegs and that we''ll have to pay for the taps from the distributor. Would this look like beer on tap...does anyone have a picture of kegs at a wedding that is behind a bar?

I guess I''m just not able to picture it and am not quite sure what is meant by ''blue containers'' for the kegs...any advice, pictures, or help is appreciated!
Also, I''m not sure if you were asking but when they say you will have to pay for the taps, they just mean the pourer basically. A tapped keg looks like this:

I might totally be misunderstanding what you are asking so I apologize if I am. Bascially what it sounds like this person is telling you what you are going to have will be both pictures I posted together... (except I''m sure the kegs you will have will only have one tapper per keg..unless you are told differently)

keg1-main_Full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results