shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an aisle runner necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi Ladies, I''m wondering who is or is not using an aisle runner. I''m getting married outside and the ground looks like a sort of black slate (not sure if this is an accurate description?) I''m wondering if it is necessary to protect my dress and veil, which is chapel length and has some delicate detail which will touch the ground. I guess I like the rustic, simple look of no runner, but I don''t want to ruin my dress or veil (which I would like to sell and pass down to my future-daughter, respectively
1.gif
)

So what do you guys think? Are you planning to use one for your outdoor wedding?

Here is a link to my ceremony site (sorry, I can''t copy the picture...) - It''s pic #1 http://washingtondc.destinations.starwoodhotels.com/Weddings/grand_photo_gallery.htm

Thanks for your help on this random question!

IWantAMilkshake

Rough_Rock
I''m interested in this too. I''m on grass, which I think is okay, but under the grass is Virginia red clay, which terrifies me. I''m very torn on the aisle runner issue!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
FMPD, my ceremony is on grass so the site coordinator suggested laying down a runner of an astroturf-like stuff to provide a walkable surface, and a fabric runner on top of that to hide the "astro-turf". It sounds to me like you won''t need to use a runner though, as long as the black slate is smooth and doesn''t have jagged rocks.

By the way, your site looks absolutely gorgeous.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every runner I''ve ever seen has either a) tripped someone in the wedding party, or b) ended up twisted and awful looking. I''d try to avoid one if possible.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 11:51:56 PM
Author: Haven
Every runner I''ve ever seen has either a) tripped someone in the wedding party, or b) ended up twisted and awful looking. I''d try to avoid one if possible.
I was about to say the same thing Haven!! They are menaces.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 11:51:56 PM
Author: Haven

That''s what I''ve seen too, so I am not a fan of aisle runner. I love the look of your site; I can''t imagine adding an aisle runner. I think it''ll take away from your site.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
MPD That''s a tough call. I think I would go with the aisle runner though, no matter how much they hose or sweep I think that brick will definitely get your dress pretty dirty. I know how you feel, I wouldn''t want to cover it up either, it''s gorgeous!! Maybe you could find one that would be a bit sheer?

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Rather than use a runner, why not use something on the underside of your dress to protect it?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I''m so torn - I think I''ll probably go without a runner but I don''t know
7.gif
I am worried about the tripping, etc (plus I don''t love the way they look), but I also worry about tearing the veil! I''m actually much more concerned about the veil than the dress - the dress will just get dirty on the underside, but the veil is sheer....hmmm. Is it likely to rip?

GTN - thanks for the suggestion about putting something under the dress to protect it. Any similar idea on how to protect the veil? It is silk tulle and has some a delicate edge with a small alencon lace border.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 12:31:17 AM
Author: Future Mrs Polka Dot
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I''m so torn - I think I''ll probably go without a runner but I don''t know
7.gif
I am worried about the tripping, etc (plus I don''t love the way they look), but I also worry about tearing the veil! I''m actually much more concerned about the veil than the dress - the dress will just get dirty on the underside, but the veil is sheer....hmmm. Is it likely to rip?

GTN - thanks for the suggestion about putting something under the dress to protect it. Any similar idea on how to protect the veil? It is silk tulle and has some a delicate edge with a small alencon lace border.

hmmm... that is tough, the only thing that I can think of is to get a clear wire/fishing wire and sewing the veil to the dress so it doesn''t drag on the floor. Don''t affix it so it is taut, just in some key points so that it doesn''t drag.

hmmm... that is tough, the only thing that I can think of is to get a clear wire/fishing wire and sewing the veil to the dress so it doesn''t drag on the floor. Don''t affix it so it is taut, just in some key points so that it doesn''t drag.
Thanks for the suggestion! The veil actually trails behind the dress though, so I don''t think that would work. Sad! I could have the flower girl carry it behind me, but that could be a little weird! :) I have a really short aisle, so I''m hoping I can just step lightly and it will all be ok :) I think I''ll email the woman from my reception site too and see how most brides usually handle this.

Thanks for all the brainstorming/opinions!

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
if it trails behind the dress, you could buy cheap tulle from the fabric store and sew it to the underside of the dress so the cheap tulle is under your veil and that gets snagged first.

If you can imagine the tulle extending past the dress as in this dress but not as obvious so it doesn''t compete with your veil.

That is a good idea - i''ll talk to the seamstress to see what she thinks.

BTW, I love that maggie dress :) Thanks for the suggestions!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not having an aisle runner - my church won''t allow it. But I didn''t really want one to begin with - I can just see myself tripping over it.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Oh darn...I was thinking of a runner for my outdoor ceremony, but you''ve all made me second guess.

Not to hijack the thread, but I will be walking on concrete....can''t I find a decent runner and not trip on it?? Yikes.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I was warned against a runner by a number of parties, so I didn''t use it. My "aisle" was a golf cart path... part of it was asphalt, part of it was cement, and the last bit was grass. We put some petals down, but not as deep as I wanted. My dress did get dirty, but your dress WILL get dirty no matter where your wedding is or what you are walking on! Call it battle scars if you want. it''s just part of the deal.

As for the long veil, are you absolutely set on having it trail behind your dress? That just doesn''t seem like a good idea for an outdoor wedding! You could have veil pages, or you could have a slight bustle put in so that it isn''t longer than your dress. Depends on what you really want though. Personally, I''d rather make it a little shorter than snag it on something and risk pulling it off my head. Mine was silk tulle too so I know how delicate it is. Be careful!

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 10:12:31 AM
Author: Courtneylub
Oh darn...I was thinking of a runner for my outdoor ceremony, but you''ve all made me second guess.

Not to hijack the thread, but I will be walking on concrete....can''t I find a decent runner and not trip on it?? Yikes.
I was going to use an aisle runner outdoors - was completely set on it even though everyone warned us against it (venue, people who had been in weddings). We even bought a special ''heavy duty outdoor, 5ft wide'' canvas aisle runner to use. (i think the website was ''artistic floral expressions'')
We tried it out at home before the wedding, and it did not seem anywhere near heavy duty enough, and it did not work when I was on grass OR on concrete (on concrete, you couldn''t even pin down the ends into grass to hold it in place!). And, it was September and these little black bugs kept jumping on it from the grass- so we thought that would look gross!

So, for the wedding we ended up going with an aisle of freeze-dried rose petals instead. It was lovely. And now I''m stuck with an aisle runner that I can''t imagine successfully selling even on ebay!!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 1:17:22 PM
Author: brgirl

Date: 2/6/2008 10:12:31 AM
Author: Courtneylub

I was going to use an aisle runner outdoors - was completely set on it even though everyone warned us against it (venue, people who had been in weddings). We even bought a special ''heavy duty outdoor, 5ft wide'' canvas aisle runner to use. (i think the website was ''artistic floral expressions'')
We tried it out at home before the wedding, and it did not seem anywhere near heavy duty enough, and it did not work when I was on grass OR on concrete (on concrete, you couldn''t even pin down the ends into grass to hold it in place!). And, it was September and these little black bugs kept jumping on it from the grass- so we thought that would look gross!

So, for the wedding we ended up going with an aisle of freeze-dried rose petals instead. It was lovely. And now I''m stuck with an aisle runner that I can''t imagine successfully selling even on ebay!!
I see what you mean. Look at how they did this one on concrete though -

runner.jpg

IWantAMilkshake

Rough_Rock
Sorry to be stupid, but what do the rose petals do? Unless you lay down an entire carpet o rose petals?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 2:10:47 PM
Author: IWantAMilkshake
Sorry to be stupid, but what do the rose petals do? Unless you lay down an entire carpet o rose petals?

All it really does is define the aisle. As in "Here''s the aisle". It doesn''t really protect the dress, and depending on the color of the petals, they could actually stain the dress too.

Courtney - I kinda like the pic of the one you posted! It looks much more modern than the typical runner. Hmm....

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!! just kidding :razz: i guess it depends

sorry to threadjack - but i don't understand how chapel trains work. can someone enlighten me? they are not that long but they do drag on the ground. so it seems like there is not enough there for a bustle but then how does one walk around for 5 hours with this thing dragging around or do any dancing?? see what kinds of deep thoughts i have filled my mind with these days
41.gif
?

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I agree that runners are way more trouble than they're worth!

That slate tile floor looks like if it were cleaned prior to your wedding, it would be fine, but I am intrigued by gtn's suggestion of putting something under the bottom of your dress to protect it, but I am at a loss as to what you could do to protect your veil.

Have you considered asking your venue what they recommend or if this has posed a problem for other brides in the past?

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I''m also of the camp that thinks they may be more hassle than they are worth. My aisle will be grass so we''re putting a ton of ivory rose petals down to "define the aisle"- as sumbride said. I''m very intrigued by someone''s idea to put something under you dress. That would definitely solve the problem if it could be done without changing the look of your dress!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 3:39:14 PM
Author: Future Mrs Polka Dot
Courtney - I kinda like the pic of the one you posted! It looks much more modern than the typical runner. Hmm....
Yeah, I think those arrangements are holding the runner down. I''m thinking of doing something like that.

summerbride

Rough_Rock
The plain white ailse runners can be cheap and boring but i am planning on using this company to create my custom runner. They can match your colors, put your names or anything that you want. www.aiseart.com

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I was asking my wedding planner about this for my outdoor wedding. She said the same thing as a lot of you said, she didn''t recommend them and that your dress will get dirty no matter what. Also she said it''s a huge liability. A lot of facilities will make you sign a waiver if you choose to have one. Has anyone checked with their facility to see if they are allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results