shape
carat
color
clarity

Invitation help!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I'm at the point where I really should have sent out save the dates already but I just can't decide on what I want for invitations and I want all the wedding paper (save the dates, invitations reply cards, menus etc) to match. I want something dead simple but beautiful, like a nice elegant paper with simple text and beautiful envelope liners. I love letter press but it's probably not economical when I really only need about 20 invites. Also not opposed to DIY if I can figure out what I want but I can't find a good range of nice paper to use over here. I was considering having an invitation wording stamp made up but again, probably not economical with so few invitations required.
At thins point, colours are fairly neutral (ivory, white, blush, nude and some metallic) and the reception will be candle lit.

Any suggestions?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I ordered samlpes from wedding paper divas and was realy impressed with the quality of their materials:
http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/shop/best+value--save-the-date-cards.htm, so f you want nice paper and nice crisp printing, I'd order from them. The prices can increase with extras like envelope liners and extra touches though, so be careful! When I ordered samples they sent me a discount cupon for my order, so getting a sample is a good idea.

That said, I'm on a budget and so I ordered some super cheap save the date post cards from Vistaprint http://www.vistaprint.com - it was about $17 for 100 including shipping. I'm sure my guests don't care if all my stationary matches, but I know the feeling of wanting everything perfectly matched.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
4ever what is the theme of your wedding? Im all for DIY, espesically when you only need about 20 to 30. Maybe you can find some stock paper, and than do stamps, with your theme.

For exaple, this would be a nice invite if your going for a music theme, maybe do a black cardstock sheet, with this stamp in gold, with gold writing. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat1572&PRODID=zprd_10775807a.

This is cute, if your going for a woodies, or nature theme, but with a whimsical touch http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat1572&PRODID=zprd_10387025a. This could work in a number of colors.

Same thing with this one http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat1572&PRODID=xprd986608

This looks so antique that i LOVE it http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat1572&PRODID=zprd_11446713a

Would be easier, if you posted your theme, but im all for DIY

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
With only twenty invitations, would you consider ordering very nice stationary with your name or monogram and sending hand written notes with the date and location? People love a hand written note, and you could use the nice stationary for thank you notes after your shower as well. Then the pressure is off with it having to "match" the other wedding paper since an elegant ivory foldover note matches everything!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
4ever can you order some cardstock and DIY? That is what we did for our save-the-dates and what we will do for the invites. Or...since you don't have many...go to some different stationers and check it out? it might help to see in person

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1321192050|3060774 said:
With only twenty invitations, would you consider ordering very nice stationary with your name or monogram and sending hand written notes with the date and location? People love a hand written note, and you could use the nice stationary for thank you notes after your shower as well. Then the pressure is off with it having to "match" the other wedding paper since an elegant ivory foldover note matches everything!

GP, I think this is a fabulous idea!

ETA: If you wanted to add a "style" element...you mentioned envelope liners. I know Hudson_Hawk lined her envelopes on her own using vellum purchased from the craft store. She just traced the outline of the envelope on the vellum and cut it to fit the envelopes, securing it with acid-free glue. So perhaps you could use GP's idea of hand-written notes, and then line the envelopes in maybe a shimmery ivory and champagne paper? I've heard wrapping paper actually works really well for envelope liners as well...

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1321236893|3061065 said:
Guilty Pleasure|1321192050|3060774 said:
ETA: If you wanted to add a "style" element...you mentioned envelope liners. I know Hudson_Hawk lined her envelopes on her own using vellum purchased from the craft store. She just traced the outline of the envelope on the vellum and cut it to fit the envelopes, securing it with acid-free glue. So perhaps you could use GP's idea of hand-written notes, and then line the envelopes in maybe a shimmery ivory and champagne paper? I've heard wrapping paper actually works really well for envelope liners as well...

i used wrapping paper for envelope liners & it worked great. a little time consuming to cut & glue. but i loved the little "pop" it gave. i did my own invitations...pretty simple text layout in black & had them printed onto heavy weight cardstock (that i purchased separately at a paper supply store) at staples. if you love the super nice paper you can order crane lettra...it beautiful, thick, cotton paper. i went with something a tad less thick & less pricey (classic crest smooth cover 110lb).

if you're curious, here's the deets on my DIY invites: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/100-hours-later-my-diy-invites-are-done.146654/

can't wait to see what you decide!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
lulu66|1321305241|3061596 said:
i used wrapping paper for envelope liners & it worked great. a little time consuming to cut & glue. but i loved the little "pop" it gave. i did my own invitations...pretty simple text layout in black & had them printed onto heavy weight cardstock (that i purchased separately at a paper supply store) at staples. if you love the super nice paper you can order crane lettra...it beautiful, thick, cotton paper. i went with something a tad less thick & less pricey (classic crest smooth cover 110lb).

if you're curious, here's the deets on my DIY invites: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/100-hours-later-my-diy-invites-are-done.146654/

can't wait to see what you decide!!

I knew it was someone on PS that gave me that idea! Thanks for chiming in, lulu...I couldn't find your thread for the life of me. :???:

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
so what did you decide?? I would love to hear your idea, I really would. :D

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about the slow reply ladies.

HopeDream- I've heard good things about wedding paper divas but cant find a design on their of vista print that I really love.

Jessie - No "theme" as such, just a general style- I'm not sure how to describe my style, but I guess very simple, elegant and slightly more trendy than classic. Simple invites with fancy envelope liners, a super simple dress with a statement necklace, birdcage veil/headpiece and killer heals, BM in structured stylish cocktail attire, long tables with plain white table cloths and candles lined up in jars...

Gypsy- thanks for the links. I like the 2nd and 3rd the best but they aren't quite right. I can't put my figure out why.....I'm thinking beautiful paper and dead simple text in a nice font. Sounds easy, but it's not!

Guilty- I think hand written notes is a beautiful idea! I wish my handwriting was more legible! I might have to work on it but that is such a lovely idea for an intimate wedding.

Slg47- I have looked into ordering card stock to DIY but really haven't found any I love yet (NZ has VERY limited options) and postage is a fortune from the US because it's so heavy. I'm going to have another look in an arts supply store which has an ok range this weekend and see how it goes.

VC- I have been on the hunt for a beautiful wrapping paper to use for AGES! I can even get some wholesale through work but nada! Great idea though!

Lulu- you DIY invites are AMAZING! Really! Very professional looking!

I'm going to look into the custom stationary and also see if I can source nice card stock to DIY and see what's going to come out nicer. I wish I cared less! I just want people to receive these beautiful stylish invites in the mail and get excited to come to our wedding!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
ARRRG!!!

Finally found invitations FI and I LOVE... HOWEVER, because we only need 20 inviations and their minimum print quantity is 40, they want us to pay for a recive 40 invitations :angryfire: So, effectively we end up paying double the price for the invitations we actually need (which are not cheap to begin with) and get left with 20 beautiful spares which we have no use for and will probably end up in the bin.

I have emailed back asking if they would just charge us an extra fee to cover the set up costs of their printer rather than making us buy 20 more invitations. I'm hoping for a good replay, but not expecting one.

I understand but I'm still super super disappointed. :blackeye:

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, I imagine you might want to have one to hold on to, your parents may want an extra each as well.....

Hmmmm... Ok, so that's 3 down. Let's think of what you could you do with 17 other invitations!

Heehee, I'm joking. I'm sorry they don't offer them for under 40. Most invitation books I have seen have 25 minimum, so that's a huge bummer that their minimum is 40!! Do you have a picture? I can see if I can find you something similar.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Urrg, well I tried- the WILL just print us 20 if we like, but they will also still charge us for 40. And the 20 that we need, actually includes a set for both our parents and one for us to keep!

The ones I really liked with the gold foil are below and the normal version of the same design is here: http://www.cocoaberry.co.nz/designs/off-the-rack/text-only/invitation

textinvitation1.jpg

textinviation2.jpg

textinviation3.jpg

textinvitaton4.jpg

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Update: got a quote from a printer to do basically the above- simple text in golf foil for 20x invitations and it's really reasonable. Meeting with him soon but hopefully it works out well because it's really not much more than DIY.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
just popping in to say those gold foil invites are gorg! maybe if you contact the original company again to let them know you have found a company who can/will do the (very similar) design in the print qty you need, they will budge?? or hopefully the other printer will work out!! good luck 4ever!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lulu I love them as well. However, no I don't think the original company will budge on price and I don't REALLY want to draw attention to the fact that I'm more or less ripping off their design for less than 1/3 the price. Also the printer seems really nice and I'm going to see him on Monday and see how it goes.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
good point. well, i'm keeping my fingers crossed for your meeting on monday.

you would think in these economic times, companies would be willing to be more flexible for goodness sakes.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
O wow, I love em. Sorry havent been able to check, but I love them. Hopefully you can get them at a cheaper price, since you dont need all of those.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Met with printer and showed him photos of the above invites and he's actually the one who printed them for the company who wanted to charge me heaps! Neat!

Anyway, am doing them on the same coloured card as above but with a slightly more matt gold foil. Need to sort out wording, then he will do a proof and we are all go!

I'm going to get opinions on wording in a different thread because I need to finalise this ASAP and more people will spot it there.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
YAY!!! that's so awesome 4ever! glad it's working out to get the invitations that you envisioned :)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Yay, picked them up today and LOVE them. Super simple and just a little special. Very please with them and with the price!

Will post pictures if I get the chance tomorrow.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Done!

They are ivory card stock (280gsm) and envelopes with printing in a soft gold foil only. Very simple, but pretty! I will be addressing the envelopes by hand in a nice gold ink pen. Mmmmmm, gold foil. I think I worked it out at about $6NZ per invite required (as I did print a lot of extras!)

The only thing I haven't decided is on the top line of the RSVP post card, should I write guests names myself (clarifies exactly who is invited, but could messy up my pretty simple printed invites) or assume my guests are smart enough to work it out themselves (and just do teeny tiny numbers in the bottom right corner just in case)?

P.s. It's hard to capture just how pretty the foil looks in person!

4everinvites2.jpg

4everinvites1.jpg

4everinvite3.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh those are LOVELY, FutureGirl! Well done! :appl:

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: simply beautiful, 4ever! i LOVE them--so glad it all worked out perfectly for you & thanks for sharing the photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results