shape
carat
color
clarity

Invitation dillema

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gale

Shiny_Rock

We are starting to argue over the invitation list already, and the wedding is not even until October of 2006. Initially my FI and I agreed that we would only invite the people we really want to attend the wedding. This really makes a lot of sense as we are having a destination wedding. We were talking about those that would stand up for us, and I suggested his sister could stand up for me if sge was interested. So, he says – “What about your sister?” and I say “She’s not invited.” And the argument started. Although it may seem odd that I do not want to invite my own sister to our wedding, I definitely do not want her there. She’s a real problem, and tends to do her best to spoil things for others. She is abusive, manipulative and mean. She has caused a lot of trouble for me and others in the past. I fail to see why I “have” to invite her when I absolutely do not want her anywhere near me (or anyone I care about for that matter) on this most special of days, simply because she is related to me by blood. No “real” sister would do the sort of things she has done and continues to do, and she would find some sort of way to spoil the day.

I get a lot of guff from my rather large family over my refusal to have anything to do with my sister. When I say to them, if this was a man in my life doing these things to me, you would have stepped in long ago and tried to get me away from the abuse. So, what’s so different about avoiding an abusive person just because she’s related to me by blood? At which point, they usually snap out of it and admit, somewhat reluctantly, that when expressed like that I have a point.

Believe me, disassociating myself from my sister was not easy. Because this decision was so serious, and life altering, I sought professional advice. I did not just arrive at this decision through spite, but through years of hard experience with this woman. She has not been part of my life for years, and it is a decision I do not regret in the least. I believe my sister needs professional help. She is miserable in life and insists on making those around her suffer.

I can see that as we proceed through our engagement, this issue will be raised by my family quite frequentlly (14 surviving aunts and uncles on my mother’s side, and 6 on my father’s, my mother is no longer with us). I would like to have something to say to them, and to my FI, that will not result in further discord. Other than “It’s our wedding, we will do what we please.”

Please help. I do not want to deliberately upset or hurt people over this.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I think you have to be ready for people to raise this issue.. but you need to just be firm about it. Your wedding is supposed to be the happiest day of your life and you should only have who you want to have there. Just tell people that your sister is not invited and it is NOT an issue to be discussed. Don''t let people make you feel guilty about it.

I''m not inviting any of my cousins to my wedding.. 1) because there are too many of them (like 18) and they would inflate the guest list WAY too much and 2) They are all annoying and have no class so they would really bring down the quiality of the day. When my sister got married one of them was in their early teens, and she showed up to the chuch in her CHEERLEADING outfit. This is just a mild example of the things that they do.. They are all extremely dysfunctional and I just don''t WANT them there!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having similar thoughts, although I''m not engaged yet. I have lots of relatives that I feel like I should invite, but don''t know most of them that well and my bf has not even met.

Anyway, I say don''t invite your sister. It''s your wedding. Period. You don''t want her there, don''t invite her. I just went to a wedding a month ago where a relative of the groom managed to nearly ruin the whole wedding. They knew he was a problem, so they talked with him months in advance begging him not to do certain things. Even the weekend of the wedding they gave him strict instruction on not to do certain things. He did them all. He also managed to insert himself in all of the table pictures. So now, not only do they know how horrible he was, there is photographic evidence of it.

Weddings are stressful enough. Don''t do anything to make the situation worse.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Thank you MelissaSue and ammayernyc. I will stand firm and not feel guilty about it.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Gale:

I do not envy your position! The previous posters have given some very sound advice already. What I wanted to say is that your wedding day is a special day, and to have to deal with family conflicts on that day would not be ideal. I think if people know ahead of time that your sister is not invited then, you and the rest of your family can deal with it, hash it out and put it behind you. So that on your wedding day you can concentrate on the most important fact: you are marrying the man you love!

Best wishes to you!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Gale- I''m sorry that you have to go through such a tough time with your sister, and with the family. I agree w/everyone else though, and you need to do what''s best for your special day, and not feel guilty about it. I also agree w/MS that you need to be prepared to answer your relatives who will ask - I think you already put it quite well in your post. Just simply say that it was a very difficult decision but you couldnt justify the trauma and hurt that would result from inviting her on a day that you want to remember as one of the happiest of your life.

Best of luck with everything!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Gale- sounds like a... less than optimal situation. when asked why sis is not invited, i think i would just say "this is going to be MY happy and joyous day. note the happy part!" and leave it at that. i''m sure your family has to understand your desire to avoid the drama that your sister apparently brings!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input onedrop, flopkins and icekid. I know from the bottom of my heart that this is the right path to take. Your advice to me seems solid. I will take something from each of the posts in this thread to arrive at something tactful to say to my relatives - then I will practice saying it until it becomes second nature.

Thanks for all of your support!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results