shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Freaking out about dress purchase....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo....I went to Kleinfeld''s yesterday, and ended up putting a deposit down on a dress. I''m freaking out though because 1) its much more than I had originally planned on spending, and 2) I didnt get the "OMG" crying feeling (which I know I did a thread about this, and many girls don''t so I feel better about that).

The fabric is duchess satin and its like butter. It feels incredible which is great because as mentioned, I am super picky about fabric. Its super couture looking and really looks amazing in person on me. Its great on my body. Every single person in the store, sales reps and other brides, kept stopping by me to say how incredible I looked (which made me feel great!
2.gif
) I guess what Im stressing about is, its not at all what I thought I would end up with. Its plain, and I bought the belt to put on it as well. I love the way I look in the dress, just wondering if a plain dress, no lace beading, etc that I had to buy a belt to dress up, is worth what I paid for it? LOL

Here is a cell phone pic (cameras are not allowed in Kleinfelds), which unfortunately doesnt do the dress justice. Talk me through this ladies! What do you think of it?

501295992_1762886861_1.JPG

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I think the dress is beautiful,and the belt is a great little add on.

I also don''t think it''s plain at all! It''s got great details that are made with the fabric.As long as you love it it really doesn''t matter what anyone else thinks.

One girls "plain" is another girls perfect.
1.gif

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
i think it''s gorgeous! don''t worry, most people go over their budget. i paid about 1000 more than i wanted..and it''s easy to overpay at a place like kleinfeld where eveeryone is oohing and ahhing over you when something looks good. there are too many people there to help you get hyped up! but trust your instinct. i panicked a little after i bought my dress at kleinfeld, but do not regert it at now.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
It looks beautiful! As long as you feel amazing, nothing else matters!

I also went over my mental budget for my dress but I don''t regret it one bit!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a budget, stick to it. Shop around some more.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks great on you!

Also, following Havernell's comment above, do be careful about posting something that you have already bought/put a deposit down on, and asking for opinions about it - because there are a lot of very honest women on here who, if asked for their opinion, will darn sure give it and not sugar-coat their words. If you've put down a non-refundable deposit, the deed is done and there's no point second-guessing yourself. Remember all the reasons you chose it, all the comments the other people in the shop made (they obviously thought you looked pretty amazing!), and generally look for the positive. Otherwise, you're going to drive yourself crazy by the time your wedding comes around
2.gif

ETA: unless the deposit is transferable, or you're willing to eat it if you change your mind - in which case the above isn't relevant.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 12:46:04 PM
Author: LilyKat
I think it looks great on you!

Also, following Havernell''s comment above, do be careful about posting something that you have already bought/put a deposit down on, and asking for opinions about it - because there are a lot of very honest women on here who, if asked for their opinion, will darn sure give it and not sugar-coat their words. If you''ve put down a non-refundable deposit, the deed is done and there''s no point second-guessing yourself. Remember all the reasons you chose it, all the comments the other people in the shop made (they obviously thought you looked pretty amazing!), and generally look for the positive. Otherwise, you''re going to drive yourself crazy by the time your wedding comes around
2.gif

ETA: unless the deposit is transferable, or you''re willing to eat it if you change your mind - in which case the above isn''t relevant.

Thanks for looking out Lily. Actually yeah it is transferable. If I cancel the order before it goes into production, I can use my deposit as a store credit for the next 10 years. lol. So if I need to cancel, I could just go back and buy a different one. That why I ask now to be sure before I let it go to production.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, good, that's ok then! I just didn't want to see you get hurt by the more "direct" PSers (been there, done that...)

Honestly, I do think it looks amazing and really suits your gorgeous figure. The quality of the fabric is clear. Personally, I'm not loving the belt, as I think it would be better to make the most of the dress's simplicity and just have a long, lean silhouette. (You could always dress it up with blingy jewellery?) But it looks fine with it too.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
first of all, i think the dress is gorgeous & the belt is "wow"! my personal tastes do run "plainer" but your dress has amazing details & the shape is to die for on you. i don''t think you have to be all beaded & laced up to look fabulous & special and in that dress you prove me right! seriously, stop stressing that the dress is too plain--it''s not!

now, as for the budget woes, that''s something you''ll personally have to decide. i have a strict wedding budget & designated certain dollars amounts for each purchase; however, i did go over budget on my dress. to me, it was worth it to cut from somewhere else in order to have a dress i felt 100% fabulous in.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Firstly I love that look, the more simple structured dress jazzed up with a great belt/sash, totally classy, egelant and understated.

But yes, you could get that look for much cheaper (as I plan to) but you''d have to give up the beautiful fabric you like, that amazing shape and some detail with the fabric folds and all the little things that make it really high quality and special. From previous posts I get the impression it''s just that kind of quality and detail that is important to you in a dress so I''d say it''s unlikely you''d trade those in for a smaller pricetag.

Anyway, it looks totally fantastic on you, even from a cell phone pic.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
From what I can see, your figure looks amazing in that dress. And for what it's worth, I think there is enough detailing that it doesn't look that plain on its own. But with the belt, wow, I love it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm not thrilled with it on you - is it the right size or did it have to be clipped?

I do think it works beautifully on your figure, but it's not wow-ing me. (Sorry!)

However, I think you could add a lot of personality and interest with a gorgeous bolero, which could add interest and bring it from "Okay" to "WOW".

ETA: I'm glad Lily clarified, because I wasn't going to post at all until I saw the deposit was transferable.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I think you look great in it! Your figure looks awesome!!

However, if there are some doubts looming over the dress, I would definitely head back to Kleinfelds before the production starts on that dress and see if there is something else that strikes you so your deposit can be used.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
that dress really plays up your figure - it looks gorgeous! But, the question is whether going over budget for a dress you''re not SURE about will be worth it in the end. I''m very frugal, so I know my opinion but you have to do what''s best for you.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:29:56 PM
Author: princesss
I''m not thrilled with it on you - is it the right size or did it have to be clipped?

I do think it works beautifully on your figure, but it''s not wow-ing me. (Sorry!)

However, I think you could add a lot of personality and interest with a gorgeous bolero, which could add interest and bring it from ''Okay'' to ''WOW''.

ETA: I''m glad Lily clarified, because I wasn''t going to post at all until I saw the deposit was transferable.

I actually kinda agree with princesss. I think it''s a gorgeous dress, and you obviously have an incredible figure, but it doesn''t "wow" me either.

Not like you wouldn''t look fabulous if you decided to stick with it, but if you''re having second thoughts, I might go back if I were you.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock

First, the dress is pretty and it fits you well. My PERSONAL taste is for something with a little something more like rhinestones on the bust area and/or along the waist. But that''s me.

I do think that if you paid more than you wanted and still had to add an accessory like a belt, then you should probably see what else is out there. I think if you have to go over budget, at least get all you want in THAT dress.

Lastly, I don''t think the belt compliments the dress because of the texture of the gown.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you have an amazing figure, and most things will look great on you. Having said that, as with food, sometimes plain is better.

Food item + salt and pepper = perfection
Beautiful bride + plain dress = perfection

In other words, it''s the frame and you''re the painting. If that makes any sense.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
i think its beautiful
30.gif
and looks amazing on your figure...

if you want some more embellishment you could add a coloured sash with beading as well i think. and it doesnt have to be a sash that ties and drapes down the back necessarily, it could be more like a coloured belt? or you could add lace cap sleeves i think?

in any case i think its beautiful
36.gif

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
I think you look amazing!
30.gif

The flare on the bias is totally interesting enough to keep the dress from being ''plain,'' imo. I also love it with the belt.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks fine (I''m not a huge fan of the mermaid style dress no matter how it''s decorated or who''s wearing it, but it seems to be a really common bridal style, so apparently I''m in the minorty), and I''d definitely keep the belt if you go with this dress, just for a little more visual interest.

My question is: is that gathering around the hips, or is it just wrinkled? From the picture it looks to me like it''s got a lot of creases from sitting down (but that could be ruching or whatever). Anyway, if it is wrinkled you might want to think about finding a dress in a fabric that stands up to all the moving around and standing up / sitting down you''ll be doing on your wedding day.

As to whether it''s worth what you''re paying for it, sometime simplicity doesn''t come cheap. In fact, I think lower-end fashions tend to me more embellished and more overdone at times. But what you''re paying for is the fabric, quality of craftsmanship, and the name. Only you can decide if that''s worth it to you.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
As my 5 year old niece would say, ooooh you look like Barbie! (that''s a compliment BTW). You''ve got a great figure and the dress is lovely. I think the belt is a little too much, it detracts from the overall design. The wrinkles BT pointed out could just be because it''s the floor sample, you could always ask to try it on after it''s been steamed. It could also be that you need to order one size up and have it altered so it fits around the hips just right. Sometimes no matter how perfect our figures are, dresses are not made in proportions that work with us. I think a tiny bit more fabric in the hips would make it hang better and more smoothly through that area.

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Do you want to know how I found my dress? Someone said to me, "Just make sure you try one one that you WOULDN''T try on or want." I was looking at destination-type dresses, very simple, no beading. I ended up seeing one in an ad in the store that had beading, tulle, the whole nine. NOT what I wanted. As soon as I put it over my head and looked down at the skirt, I knew. And so did my mom.

Bottom line is, if you don''t have that "OMG! This is IT!!!" moment, then you haven''t found your dress. You only get married once, and trust me, with all the amazing gowns out there, you will have your "this is the one" moment. Go back to Kleinfelds and ask to try on things you wanted to avoid. Either you are going to start liking the dress you picked more and become more secure about your choice, or you are going to find something else that is the RIGHT dress. You have a beautiful figure. Anything is going to look good, but if I were you, I''d keep looking till I had that moment. Trust me, you''ll know.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 7:23:22 AM
Author: beadchick
Do you want to know how I found my dress? Someone said to me, ''Just make sure you try one one that you WOULDN''T try on or want.'' I was looking at destination-type dresses, very simple, no beading. I ended up seeing one in an ad in the store that had beading, tulle, the whole nine. NOT what I wanted. As soon as I put it over my head and looked down at the skirt, I knew. And so did my mom.

Bottom line is, if you don''t have that ''OMG! This is IT!!!'' moment, then you haven''t found your dress. You only get married once, and trust me, with all the amazing gowns out there, you will have your ''this is the one'' moment. Go back to Kleinfelds and ask to try on things you wanted to avoid. Either you are going to start liking the dress you picked more and become more secure about your choice, or you are going to find something else that is the RIGHT dress. You have a beautiful figure. Anything is going to look good, but if I were you, I''d keep looking till I had that moment. Trust me, you''ll know.

This is SO TRUE!!! My dress was one that I was totally not into while on the hanger, but then when I put it on it was totally transformed and I felt amazingly gorgeous and oh so chic.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 2:02:35 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I think you have an amazing figure, and most things will look great on you. Having said that, as with food, sometimes plain is better.

Food item + salt and pepper = perfection

Beautiful bride + plain dress = perfection

In other words, it''s the frame and you''re the painting. If that makes any sense.

I totally agree with Freke. Personally, I gravitate towards a gown that has little or no embellishment on it. I think the structure of your gown is so beautiful that it doesn''t need anything else beyond the belt. It gives you a Jessica Rabbit figure and is so so classy.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great on. The belt looks great. It''s very classy looking and not plain.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 7:43:40 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 3/4/2010 7:23:22 AM
Author: beadchick
Do you want to know how I found my dress? Someone said to me, ''Just make sure you try one one that you WOULDN''T try on or want.'' I was looking at destination-type dresses, very simple, no beading. I ended up seeing one in an ad in the store that had beading, tulle, the whole nine. NOT what I wanted. As soon as I put it over my head and looked down at the skirt, I knew. And so did my mom.

Bottom line is, if you don''t have that ''OMG! This is IT!!!'' moment, then you haven''t found your dress. You only get married once, and trust me, with all the amazing gowns out there, you will have your ''this is the one'' moment. Go back to Kleinfelds and ask to try on things you wanted to avoid. Either you are going to start liking the dress you picked more and become more secure about your choice, or you are going to find something else that is the RIGHT dress. You have a beautiful figure. Anything is going to look good, but if I were you, I''d keep looking till I had that moment. Trust me, you''ll know.

This is SO TRUE!!! My dress was one that I was totally not into while on the hanger, but then when I put it on it was totally transformed and I felt amazingly gorgeous and oh so chic.
I''m going to ditto this as well. I think you''ve said before that you have a certain aesthetic in mind...fabric...cut...color...etc. And while that dress may fit the bill, it doesn''t sound like it wows you (and while it''s lovely in general and lovely on you, I''m not wowed either). Perhaps, without sacrificing the QUALITY of garment you''re looking for, you should throw caution to the wind and try on some things that are out of your comfort zone.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a picture of it by the designer or anything? I''m having a hard time getting a good feel for how it really looks (small picture, sample gown, etc).

I like it, but I''m not positive I LOVE it. Sorry. You have an amazing figure and I do think anything will look gorgeous on you. I think I would personally like it better without that particular belt. The jury is still out for me on this one.

Because you have such a great figure - lots of dresses will look amazing on you - anything with a trumpet silhouette or dropped waist will flatter you. If you''re not sure, don''t settle. Keep looking.

You are already going to be amazing, and you deserve a dress that makes you feel that way.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
I think the dress is absolutely gorgeous on you, with or without the belt. And even without lace or beading, I don''t think it looks "plain" at all.

That being said, I can''t imagine going significantly over budget on a dress that I wasn''t head-over-heels, madly in love with. If it was simply a dress I liked a lot, I''d be willing to spend up to my budget, but not more...

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaah! Kleinfeld''s strikes again! They are soooo good at making sales, aren''t they?

I do think the dress looks beautiful on you. And, I have no doubt the fabric is amazing. Love the belt, too!

But, I would have to say that if you are having ANY second thoughts *especially* about a dress that is already more than you wanted to pay, cancel the deposit (you probably have a grace period, rigtht?) and just keep looking. You can always come back to that dress...it is not going anywhere.

This advice is coming from someone who hastily put a deposit on a dress (me!) and realized that I didn''t love it later. I lost my deposit, but I found an amazing dress that is my WOW dress and I get excited thinking about it everyday! I want that feeling for you...especially if you are spending a decent chunk of money on it!

Best of luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results