shape
carat
color
clarity

Groom''s Cake

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever done a groom''s cake? If so, when did you do it? At the reception or at rehersal dinner? And if you did it at the reception did you cut it when you cut the wedding cake or just leave it out for display and not cut it at all?

A lot of questions I know. :D But I totally want to do a fun and funky groom''s cake for my FI so that he has something of "his own". And I think he''d just find it really fun. But I''m having a hard time deciding when to present it. A very close college friend of both of ours is making the cake for us and I kinda want all her hard efforts recognized by everyone. So I''m leaning towards doing it at the reception.

What do you guys think?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Groom's cakes are "the norm" where I'm from. They are usually themed - I've seen some groom's cakes in shapes of the groom's favorite football team helmet - or in the shape of a $100 bill with his lovely new wife's picture on it! ha!

The weddings I've been to with groom's cakes have them at the reception - They are usually cut after the actual wedding cake and it's more of a fun, silly moment of the reception.

We are having a groomscake. FI is absolutely obsessed with a local steakhouse's bananas foster cake - so we're having them make a whole cake out of their famous desert - it won't be fancy or themed, just a good cake!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
We''re having a groom''s cake too! It will be at the reception, and we''ll cut it after we cut the bride''s cake. (It''s a Southern wedding, this is the norm.) We''re not doing a novelty shape or anything... but the cake is his favorite flavors... chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream and chocolate fudge on top of that. He''s ecstatic about his cake. Can''t wait! For us, serving both at the same time gives people a variety... chocolate cake or white cake with fruit filling. And I expect most people will take a piece of each. My sister is under strict orders to make sure we save the top of HIS cake as well as mine! His is 3 tiers.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we had a groom''s cake. but we went against the norm and served it at the rehearsal dinner. we had only 100 guests at the wedding, so i figured we didn''t need two cakes. and it wasn''t themed or anything. it was a yummy 3 tiered cheesecake topped with fresh berries dark chocolate and a side of chocolate sauce. there''s pics in my non pro pic thread.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the input! mmm, all the cakes sound SO yummy. I am going to have to ask FI what his flavor of choice is going to be.

would it be weird to have a pretty small groom''s cake that really only him and his groomsmen (he has seven) and some of our family will eat? I dont'' want to up the cost of it a lot by making a whole second cake AND I don''t want to ask my friend to have to make such a huge cake (since she is actually one of the BM''s as well!)

I figured iwe don''t TELL anyone the flavors are different no one will know the difference. ;-)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard of groom''s cakes but they''re not typically done in the northeast, where I''m from. I know Summer and JCrow are from the south, so I''m guessing it''s a southern thing. I believe they''re on display at the reception.

shigidigi

Shiny_Rock
We too am having a typical southern grooms cake- but I thought in honor of being a bit comical perhaps we could do the red velvet armadillo cake like they had in "Steal Magnolias"!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results