shape
carat
color
clarity

Flowers -- should they match the dress or decor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
This seems like a silly question to ask...

I haven''t spoken to a florist yet but I have the names of two florists in the town we''re getting married in. I love the sites Mela Lu posted a few days ago (I think she posted them for Maisie), and I''ve been getting a few ideas here and there.

Here''s my dress: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-my-dress.66206/. Should I get flowers to match my dress? The piping on my dress looks a little pink in the pictures but it''s more of a champagne color. Should flowers match room? That sounds funny to do but I don''t want them to clash. The place where we''re having our reception is decorated heavily with burgandy -- the rug, the chairs (velvety), the bottom table cloths on each table (a white table cloth is overlayed on each one). The wood in the place is a darker color also. A little heavy for the summer in my opinion but that''s the way it goes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I say: match the dress!

You should not be part of the decor, know what I mean? So the total you in bride-outfit should stand OUT from the decor. Just my humble opinion.
35.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 9:52:45 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I say: match the dress!

You should not be part of the decor, know what I mean? So the total you in bride-outfit should stand OUT from the decor. Just my humble opinion.
35.gif

Well, when you put it that way, I TOTALLY understand. My post seems really silly now.
9.gif
No, I definitely do not want to be part of the decor! I just didn''t want anything to clash.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't necessarily try to match either, as IG said, you don't want to blend into the decor, but you also don't want the flowers to blend with your dress.

On the other hand, you definitely don't want to clash with anything. So with burgandy decor, hot pink flowers would be a poor choice, you could still use pale pinks, greens, whites, ivory, blues. I'd probably avoid yellow and orange, as well as red and pink shades that clash with the burgandy. Small touches of burgandy with mostly lighter colors could tie things together without being too dark--assuming you like burgandy, if not, you don't have to use it at all.

All ivory and champagne colors might blend in too much with your dress (in my opinion), so I'd try to add in some colors to add interest. Are you having bridesmaids? If so, what color dresses?

ETA: I love the dress! It has a soft look to it, so I'd keep the flowers soft and light too, with just subtle touches of color. if you have light colored flowers on the tables, it can help lighten the dark room and make it more summery.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 10:06:31 PM
Author: laine
I wouldn''t necessarily try to match either, as IG said, you don''t want to blend into the decor, but you also don''t want the flowers to blend with your dress.

On the other hand, you definitely don''t want to clash with anything. So with burgandy decor, hot pink flowers would be a poor choice, you could still use pale pinks, greens, whites, ivory, blues. I''d probably avoid yellow and orange, as well as red and pink shades that clash with the burgandy. Small touches of burgandy with mostly lighter colors could tie things together without being too dark--assuming you like burgandy, if not, you don''t have to use it at all.

All ivory and champagne colors might blend in too much with your dress (in my opinion), so I''d try to add in some colors to add interest. Are you having bridesmaids? If so, what color dresses?

Thanks Laine!! I do like burgandy but I think I''ll either do light accents with it or stay clear of it altogether. It will be a summer wedding so I''d like things to feel and look light and airy. I don''t think we''re having a wedding party. If we have anyone, it will probably be my sister (MOH) and one of my FI''s brothers (possibly). We''re undecided about this but we know we''re not having an entourage.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like there is a lot of color already.

I would stick to ivory flowers with burgundy accents. Like burgundy leaves instead of green ones or berries. But keep the flowers neutral so that they don''t compete with your lovely gown and don''t add to the already heavy atmosphere of your venue.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35.gif
Whoa...the burgundy upholstery/carpeting/underlays should be seen as neutral, imo. Any of the colors in your banquet hall are going to be overshadowed in your candid or posed wedding shots. I think you should not worry so much about blending your wedding colors in with the hall as figuring out what you really want to see in your wedding pics later in life... You say you want to keep things light and airy for a summertime wedding, but trying to "match" your flowers to your venue is not conducive to "light and airy," ya know? I think you can choose whatever colors you like and not worry too much about them coordinating with the colors that are already in place within the ballroom or hall. They''re giving you a "blank canvas" so to speak in using white drop cloths for your tables...burgundy just happens to be the backdrop color but it is so dark and I don''t think that will be an eyesore in your wedding pics. Are you planning to take pics outside? Are you getting married outdoors or at a church? Take into consideration those two questions..please don''t base your flower colors on the burgundy colors in your venue. A great photog will know how to minimize the color scheme of any room and maximize the beauty of what you''ve chosen as your wedding colors as far as bouquet, BM''s dresses, bouquets, etc. Good luck!
36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice! We''re getting married outdoors at the same place where the reception will be. The ceremony will be in front of the gazebo on the grounds of the restaurant and the reception will be indoors. We''re planning on taking pictures on the grounds also.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
why don''t you have colours that match your bridesmaids colours?

My colours were burgundy and I chose dusky pink roses, pink anthuriums, wine cala lillies and thistles. You can see my bouquet here for ideas.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Po,

Thanks for the pics of your flowers -- they''re gorgeous! I need to flip through the pages Mela Lu posted again for additional inspiration as well. I''m actually not sure I''m having any bridesmaids. If I have anyone in the wedding, it will be my sister as maid of honor (well, I suppose matron of honor -- she''s married). If I do ask her, I want her to choose whatever she wants to wear, color included. She NEVER wears skirts or dresses, not even to her own wedding, and I want her to be comfy that day too. We''ll see.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
zoe, I think it depends on what looks good on you! You could do a small hand tied bouquet of white/cream hydrangeas, which would look nice and lacy with your lace dress and very summery. You could have the stems tied with satin ribbon that matches your dresses edging color. Or you could do a combo of cream, champagne & blush roses w/fresh green accents? That would also pick up your dresses accent satin but you could also go deeper in the blush and champagne colors for more depth. Whaddya think???

I do not condone in any way, fake flowers, but what about these colors:
http://www.weddingsandflowers.com/Bouquets/Handtied%20and%20Round/Bridal%20Blush.html

Or this one...the one with the "Clutch Bouquet of Roses & Green & Blush Cymbidium Orchids"?
http://www.theperfectweddingmaui.com/page24.html

Lots of choices here too:
http://www.blueskyweddings.com/pages/bridalbouquets.html

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 1:11:19 PM
Author: surfgirl
zoe, I think it depends on what looks good on you! You could do a small hand tied bouquet of white/cream hydrangeas, which would look nice and lacy with your lace dress and very summery. You could have the stems tied with satin ribbon that matches your dresses edging color. Or you could do a combo of cream, champagne & blush roses w/fresh green accents? That would also pick up your dresses accent satin but you could also go deeper in the blush and champagne colors for more depth. Whaddya think???

I do not condone in any way, fake flowers, but what about these colors:
http://www.weddingsandflowers.com/Bouquets/Handtied%20and%20Round/Bridal%20Blush.html

Or this one...the one with the ''Clutch Bouquet of Roses & Green & Blush Cymbidium Orchids''?
http://www.theperfectweddingmaui.com/page24.html

Lots of choices here too:
http://www.blueskyweddings.com/pages/bridalbouquets.html
Wow, thanks for the ideas! I haven''t been able to get online in a few days so I''m just now catching up to the posts I missed. I love the cutch bouquet and several of the ones on blueskyweddings! I never really used to look at callas but now I''m noticing them in several bouquets. I really like the mini callas in the bouquets on blue sky. Hmmmm, lots to think about! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results