shape
carat
color
clarity

First Dance Songs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Ok ladies.....there are threads for just about everything else, but not one for first dance songs! Ya gotta have the music so throw them out there & help give ideas to others. Unless of course your doing the waltz or the tango, then that''s a whole different ball game!

A few of my favorites songs that come to mind for the first dance......
"Into the Mystic" or "I''ll Be Your Lover Too" by Van Morrison,
"First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack...at least I believe that''s the title
"True Companion" by Marc Cohen (sp)
"Ice Cream" by Sarah McLaughlin

"Let''s get it on"
"I Wanna Sex You Up" by New Jack City

LOL....ok, I can''t continue, the last two were not serious!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Okay... I''m looking for a diversion from studying for my Spanish test tomorrow...no puedo hablar espanol...

Unless I find something else that fits better, we''ll probably go with:

"Someone Exactly Like You" by Van Morrison

Besides loving Van Morrison and that song in particular it just sort of fits us I think... I mean, we''re in our 30s, we''ve dated & had relationships... And one day I was really just thinking about the different guys I''d dated and loved (& lost) and how, aside from a few requirements (basically a job & a personality), they were all so very different from one another & how I''d never had just one specific type of person that I was looking for ~ until I met my fiance and I knew that I had been looking for someone just like him!!! It''s kinda cheezy for me but... whatever.

I also have a deep affinity for Willie Nelson (not sure what it is buy his warbly voice is very soothing to me) and one of his songs (thanks Croi!!), "Valentine" is so beautiful and simple... I just love it, so I want to have it in our ceremony or reception somewhere. But, I was really hoping to have my grandfather/daughter dance to a Willie Nelson song (really love his version of "Stardust" but it''s kinda melancholy, so probably "The Rainbow Connection") so I can''t really have both the first dance & grandfather/daughter dance songs be by the same artist... I''d like to find a way to work "Valentine" into our ceremony somehow...

Alright, enough rambling, I''m not even making sense in English at this point...
20.gif

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Teebee, great songs! I LOVE Van Morrison, in case you can''t tell. LOL. Regarding two Willy Nelso songs, I believe Martina McBride also sang Valentine. She''s got an amazing voice. You may want to see if you can get your hands on a copy. Let me know what you think. (That is, if you haven''t heard it already).

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Some classics -

What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstong
At Last - Etta James

I love iTunes!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
we''re going to use "Dance with You" by Live. Its not a very popular song, but they are my all-time favorite band, and I feel like the song totally describes how I feel about my FI and how our relationship has helped me/changed me. I heard it again for the first time in a LONG time a few months after we got engaged and started BAWLING my eyes out in the car and couldn''t stop crying.. I knew it was the one.. :)

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
MelissaSue-

OMG!!!!! I am a huge fan of Ed and the boys in LIVE and have a very happy memory of listening to "Dance With You" in the car while driving w/BF this past summer- I was singing and getting all teary eyed and he pulled over and we actually got out & danced road-side....and when I was having a terrible time at work I came home to flowers, candles and he was playing "Walk Into This Room" Ed''s song with Neena Cherry
30.gif
I met bf right around the time Throwing Copper came out and although we were just friends at the time I used to sing "All Over You" to him all the time...thanks for bringing up happy memories!

don''t want to hi-jack the thread- since there is no big wedding for us we''re going to burn some cds to play at our post-elopement private dinner- I''ve got a lot picked out but the top contenders right now are Dave Matthews "Crush" & "Crash", John Hiatt''s "Have A Little Faith" & "Angel Eyes" , Edwins Mccain''s "I''ll Be" and "I Could Not Ask For More" and Ray Charles'' version of "Come Rain or Come Shine" and of course some stuff by LIVE!!!!!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
My friends who got married danced to a Sade song... it was beautiful. Unfortunately, I can''t remember the name of it but it is a common wedding song.

BTW -- ''I wanna sex you up'' is by Color Me Badd... I love me some boy bands!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
We''re gonna probably dance to "Longer" by Dan Fogelberg.

Some other nice choices we are thinking of:
"Endless Love" diana ross/lionel richie
"annie''s song" john denver
"i could not ask for more" sara evans (like it better than edward mccain''s version)
"could i have this dance" anne murray

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2005 7:14:59 AM
Author: NoonersMom
Teebee, great songs! I LOVE Van Morrison, in case you can''t tell. LOL. Regarding two Willy Nelso songs, I believe Martina McBride also sang Valentine. She''s got an amazing voice. You may want to see if you can get your hands on a copy. Let me know what you think. (That is, if you haven''t heard it already).
Thanks NoonersMom ~ there is just no one like Van Morrison!! I love Martina McBride ~ but her Valentine is not the same song as Willie Nelson''s Valentine. I do love her song, but it''s very very different than Willie''s. I think, for our ceremony site her song is a little too "produced" (I''m not sure how to describe it) for what we want. Willie''s song has a very simple acoustical sound and Martina''s song (other than different lyrics & melody...) is more... I dunno... maybe "theatrical"? And since our wedding is in a glass chapel in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains, surrounded by trees & foliage, then I want to keep the music very simple and "organic" if that makes sense. And Willie ain''t nothin'' if he ain''t, um, "organic"!!!
9.gif
I guess I kinda want it to sound like the music could be coming from someone just sitting there playing a guitar, rather than an huge ensemble? Does that make any sense?

I just listened to "Stardust" again ~ I wish it would work, but it is just not an uplifting song...

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I think the song ammayer mentioned by Sade is "By Your Side"

I love that song!
30.gif

Edited to add:
I also like "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers
"Turn Me On" by Norah Jones
"The Nearness of You" by Norah Jones

Man I LOVE this thread
5.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
It is ''By My Side''! Thanks Snow_Happy... I was getting frustrated that I couldn''t remember the name.

I also think it''s cute to have your first dance to a fast song...

I have a secret fantasy to dance to ''Jump (for my love)'' by the Pointer Sisters
41.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Can I tell you, this thread makes me giggle.
I really had very little class when it came to my wedding song...I picked an 80s hair band/country song..LOL...and if you know me..that''s SO not me. I''m more of a classic wedding song kind of gal. but I loved that song from years ago. Just love it

... its....its....oh I can''t say it...it''s to horribe...

"I''ll still be loving you" by Restless Heart. OMG. I said it.

LOL...We only danced to the very beginning part and then had everyone join in...
Here are some of the words...

Changing my life with your love has been so easy for you.
And I''m amazed every day and I''ll need you
Till all the mountains are valleys
And every ocean is dry, my love...

CHORUS:

I''ll be yours until the sun doesn''t shine
Till time stands still, until the winds don''t blow.
When today is just a mem''ry to me, I know
I''ll still be lovin'', I''ll still be lovin'' you.

I''ll still be lovin'' you

Never before did I know how loving someone could be
Now I can see you and me for a lifetime
Until the last moon is rising
You''ll see the love in my eyes, my love...

CHORUS

I''ll still be lovin'',
I''ll still be lovin'',
I''ll still be lovin'' you.

Repeat and fade

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
fountain - aww.. your story about that song made me CRY!!! I LOVE Live, but their last album before their best of album really disappointed me. THey''re still my all time favorite band though.
I''ll Be, by Edwin McCain was my "song" with my high school boyfriend. :)I don''t even know why it was. I think I picked it arbitrarily But that is sweet that you picked out music for your post-elopement dinner. Sounds very romantic. .

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
We're leaning towards "L-O-V-E" by Nat King Cole. I know it's a little upbeat for a first dance, which is usually slow, but this one has a special meaning for me and my sweety. The only drawback on this one is that my FI hates to dance (if I were as rhythm deprived, I would too), and a slow song would be much safer.

Another option is "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra. I just love that man's voice... Sing to me Franky!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2005 4:52:58 PM
Author: LollyBear
We''re leaning towards ''L-O-V-E'' by Nat King Cole. I know it''s a little upbeat for a first dance, which is usually slow, but this one has a special meaning for me and my sweety. The only drawback on this one is that my FI hates to dance (if I were as rhythm deprived, I would too), and a slow song would be much safer.

Another option is ''The Way You Look Tonight'' by Frank Sinatra. I just love that man''s voice... Sing to me Franky!
I love Frank Sinatra LollyBear!! One of my favorites is "Fly Me to the Moon"... there is just something about his voice...

My FI can''t dance either ~ actually he DOESN''T dance so I''m also assuming that he can''t dance... Not sure how we will tackle that issue... He also does not know how to smile... Seriously, if he''s not laughing, he has no idea what to do with his mouth to make a natural looking smile... We are so screwed...

UkneekFreak

Rough_Rock
Hello,
My fiance and I first looked at "Moon River" by Frank Sinatra, but it always made me cry. Now, we''ve picked out "Crazy Love" by Van Morrison. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance. :)

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man!
I am totally giggling now! I cannot imagine what we''ll dance to, at this rate I''ll be too old to dance...
cuz the planning just hasn''t started (darn you grad school!!!)
But MMM, you got me laughing about 80''s favorites...then I got sidetracked thinking
about my senior quote in my yearbook--it was Styx. Man I loved myself some
Styx back then:

Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime
We''ll take the best,
Forget the rest,
And someday we''ll find...
These are the best of times.

Ah...thanks for the little journey back in time.

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
We are taking dance lessons and although I wanted a nice sloooow romantic song to dance to for our 1st song, I am not thinking that we will bust it out to Barry Whites, My first.....My Last......My Everything- he was/is my frist love, my last now that we are getting married and definately my ''everything"

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Bee Gees, How Deep is your Love?
Faith Hill, Breathe,
Lonestar, Amazed
Sinatra, Night and Day
Chicago, You''re the Inspiration

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
This is such a helpful thread... My fiance and I are having a huge debate on this.

Before we were engaged, he came up with this idea that we should dance to Poison''s "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" because no one else would ever do that and it would set a very lighthearted tone for the reception. Well, this became a running joke between us and changed from Poison to David Allan Cole''s "You Never Even Called Me By My Name"--one of our all-time favorite songs.

Anyway, now that the wedding is real, the fiance wants to dance to something more traditional, but I still think that the David Allan Cole song would be the perfect wedding tune. For those of you who aren''t D.A.C. fans, the song is not a romantic tune--but the chorus includes variations of the following lyrics:

And I''ll hang around as long as you will let me
And I never minded standing in the rain
But you don''t have to call me darlin'', darlin
You never even called me by my name

I think the sentiment of hanging around as long as you will let me is so sweet in a song that is otherwise (admittedly) rough around the edges. Plus, my fiance''s last name (and my new last name!) is Darling. Hee!

Anyway--if I do have to acquiese--the best backup we''ve come up with was Van Morrison''s "Tupelo Honey."

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2005 7:43:40 PM
Author: teebee

I love Frank Sinatra LollyBear!! One of my favorites is ''Fly Me to the Moon''... there is just something about his voice...

My FI can''t dance either ~ actually he DOESN''T dance so I''m also assuming that he can''t dance... Not sure how we will tackle that issue... He also does not know how to smile... Seriously, if he''s not laughing, he has no idea what to do with his mouth to make a natural looking smile... We are so screwed...
I''m glad I''m not the only person having this issue. My FI really wants a slow songs because he thinks he can get away with just holding me and swaying side to side. I kid you not, this is his idea of dancing!

Funny you should mention the smiling thing, that is a problem I have
23.gif
! I''m going to have to spend a lot of time practicing in front of the mirror
9.gif
so I don''t look like a dork in the wedding photos.

If I can get over my fear of having my picture taken, my FI can deal with his fear of dancing.

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 7:40:18 AM
Author: JessesGrl
We are taking dance lessons and although I wanted a nice sloooow romantic song to dance to for our 1st song, I am not thinking that we will bust it out to Barry Whites, My first.....My Last......My Everything- he was/is my frist love, my last now that we are getting married and definately my ''everything''
How did you manage to get him to take dance lessons with you? I''m hoping I can get my FI to do that so we can dance to our first choice song. What kind of persuasion did you use, or was any even necessary? Maybe if I cry
39.gif
like a baby, my man will either take pity on me or become so annoyed he''ll give in. Off to throw a fit...

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Too funny Abra! I don''t know if I have heard the song by DAC. I say go with your first instinct....maybe not Poison....but DAC. It would definitely be memorable! You''ll probably be out there laughing half the time. LOL. That would be a sight!

LOL Lolly, yes, tit for tat! Keep us updated on your progress. :) My BF believes his straight mouth, serious look into the lens is a smile! Well, he''s been receiving a hard time about that lately, so hopefully we''ll make progress in that area.

For those of you with fiances that don''t dance, have you considered ballroom dancing lessons or doing a waltz? One of my friends did it because her now husband doesn''t have any rythem. Well, with the waltz it was easy for him to learn & memorize the moves. Not to mention very elegant looking & fun to watch!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
My bf recently saw himself on our friends'' wedding video and he saw how silly he really looked. (He''s one of those random-clapper people -- will clap his hands in the middle of a song, regardless of whether he''s on the beat or not).

Now he keeps telling hoe badly he wants to take lessons!

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Amma, nothing like a little dose of reality to bring them around? LOL. At least he realized it BEFORE the wedding and not while reviewing videos of your wedding!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread!!! FI and I never had "our song", so this is tough!!

glaucom - don't you just LOVE Sara Evans' voice?? Heavenly!!

snow_happy - Oh! The Nearness of You!!! So beautiful!! And it has such a classic feel to it - like our kids won't discover what our first dance song was and go "Oh my gosh mom and dad!! That is so 2005!!!" Ha!

Another song I LOVE is Nat King Cole's (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons:

I love you for sentimental reasons
I hope you do believe me
I`ll give you my heart
I love you and you alone were meant for me
Please give your loving heart to me
And say we`ll never part
I think of you every morning
Dream of you every night
Darling, I`m never lonely
Whenever you are in sight
I hope you do believe me
I`ve given you my heart

*instrumental interlude*

I hope you do believe me
I`ve given you my heart

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 12:54:17 PM

I love Frank Sinatra LollyBear!! One of my favorites is ''Fly Me to the Moon''... there is just something about his voice...

I''m glad I''m not the only person having this issue. My FI really wants a slow songs because he thinks he can get away with just holding me and swaying side to side. I kid you not, this is his idea of dancing!

23.gif
9.gif

If I can get over my fear of having my picture taken, my FI can deal with his fear of dancing.
Oh, that''s too funny... I''m pretty much resigned to the fact that our first dance will probably be exactly what your FI has in mind... I''m not a very good slow dancer either so I''d love to take some ballroom dance lessons but I''m not sure if I''ll be able to convince FI to go.

The funniest thing about my FI not knowing how to smile is that he is a dentist... I just find it ironic that he spends every day at work fixing peoples teeth so they can be proud of their smile yet he can''t smile!?!? I made him try last night and instead of lifting the corners of his mouth up, he pulls them to the side and he looks kind of deranged...

I think maybe you two could make a good trade ~ dancing for smiling?

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 9:10
6.gif
9 AM
Author: abradabra
This is such a helpful thread... My fiance and I are having a huge debate on this.

Before we were engaged, he came up with this idea that we should dance to Poison''s ''Every Rose Has Its Thorn'' because no one else would ever do that and it would set a very lighthearted tone for the reception. Well, this became a running joke between us and changed from Poison to David Allan Cole''s ''You Never Even Called Me By My Name''--one of our all-time favorite songs.

Anyway, now that the wedding is real, the fiance wants to dance to something more traditional, but I still think that the David Allan Cole song would be the perfect wedding tune. For those of you who aren''t D.A.C. fans, the song is not a romantic tune--but the chorus includes variations of the following lyrics:

And I''ll hang around as long as you will let me
And I never minded standing in the rain
But you don''t have to call me darlin'', darlin
You never even called me by my name

I think the sentiment of hanging around as long as you will let me is so sweet in a song that is otherwise (admittedly) rough around the edges. Plus, my fiance''s last name (and my new last name!) is Darling. Hee!

Anyway--if I do have to acquiese--the best backup we''ve come up with was Van Morrison''s ''Tupelo Honey.''
Abra!! I love David Allan Coe!!! I think that would make a great first dance song ~ very fun!!!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/11/2005 12:54:17 PM

23.gif
9.gif

My Fiance is challanged when it comes to walking let alone dancing! I begged and begged ( kind of nagged...
emwink.gif
) and we have just enrolled for ballroom dancing, we just both realized that we don''t want to look funny when all eyes are on us!
Seriously though, we thought that it would be a fun thing for both of us to do once a week and not have to stress out about it, you know? Our first song is "The way you look tonight" by none other than Frank....
I am really excited about the dancing, I am not placing expectations that we are going to be professionals, but at least we won''t look like we are at a high school dance!
emteeth.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
oh, I was just going through all of my mp3''s and remembered another song I just looooooooove: Manhattans "Shining Star"

I wish it hadn''t been used recently in a commerical though... I hate it when that happens...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results