shape
carat
color
clarity

FI is the worst messenger ever.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, everyone! I am sorry that I have not commented in such a long time, but I assure you I have popped in and out checking up on everyone''s weddings and it seems like there have been some exceptionally beautiful PS weddings lately!!!!

I am writing because I would like some advice on how to handle this situation. I am truly quite lost and I don''t want to ruffle any more feathers than I already may have. Sorry in advance for the novel, but I want to be clear about what is happening.

I consider myself to be a pretty low-maintenance person--I don''t require a lot of fuss, I don''t expect much from others...I try to be thoughtful of others and to be friendly in general. As a bride, I was hoping to be the same way, and certainly not to be seen as someone who expects everyone else to bend to my every whim. To be clear: I would be fine paying for my own hair and makeup for my wedding (OF COURSE), and because I can''t afford to pay for everyone else''s hair and makeup in my bridal party, it is entirely up to them if they do want to get it done.

So. Here''s the thing. My FI is a great guy, and of course I love him to pieces...he loves his family and all...but he is, for some reason, SO defensive when it comes to them, it''s bizarre. I don''t attack them (in fact, aside from his father--which is another story--I really love his entire family a lot), I don''t complain about them, I get along with everyone (in fact, I knew his sister long before I even knew FI)...so I don''t know why he gets so defensive...but, that''s how he is so I''ve learned to live with it.

The situation is thus:

1) FSIL is a hairdresser. She does everyone''s hair in the whole family for free (including her husband''s family). I have NEVER asked her to do mine for free--I go to her salon and pay to have my hair cut by her when I need a trim, and she gives me hair advice.

2) A long time ago (close to a year ago), she told me that I absolutely needed to get this keratin treatment done to my hair because it''s so frizzy. However, the treatment cost over $300 at her salon, and there was no way I could afford that, so I told her that it was okay--I didn''t need it. Well, without even really asking me, she bought the material for me to do it at her house and insisted that since she bought it, I had to come over and have her do it. So, of course, I paid for all the material (it was about $90 instead of $300) and was extremely grateful that she did it, and it was very nice for my friend''s wedding in August.

3) She also insisted that she do my hair at her house for my friend''s wedding in August (I was in the wedding). I told her that it was fine, that I would either do it myself or have someone else do it (I was out of work at the time), but she was absolutely insistent that she would do it and that it would be like a practice session for my own wedding (which is in November). My hair turned out great and I was, again, very appreciative.

4) FSIL has been in several weddings over the course of the last 5 years (at least 4-5 weddings), and for each of them, she has told me that she has done everyone''s hair for the weddings for free--including her own, her mother''s, her aunt''s, her grandmothers, the brides, and the entire wedding parties. FI therefore has told me to expect that she would do the same for our wedding, though I did not plan on that because she never formally offered and that is so much work!

5) She has talked about doing my hair for the wedding, though she never formally offered. About 2-3 months ago or so, FI spent a time with her, and he told me that she DID formally offer to do everyone''s hair (me and the entire bridal party; 4 girls besides herself) for the wedding, but she never told ME that...however, when I asked FI why she didn''t tell me, he got INCREDIBLY defensive and said it was ridiculous for me to worry about whether or not she would do it for her BROTHER''S wedding when she did it for EVERYONE ELSE''S wedding. Um, okay, dude. Chill out.

6) Now, FMIL and my mom have become good friends, and my mom mentioned something to FMIL about FSIL doing everyone''s hair and how nice it was for her to offer, and FMIL freaked out and said it would be IMPOSSIBLE for FSIL to do everyone''s hair, so FMIL asked FSIL if she was really planning on doing everyone''s hair, and FSIL said absolutely not. So apparently I got misinformation from FI, who now says he didn''t remember what she said to him (but claims that she told him whatever it was that he told me months ago)...?

7) So now I seem like a jerk, and to be honest, although I loved the way she did my hair for my friend''s wedding, I would rather pay to get it done by someone else so that I don''t have to deal with any more drama--and so that I can have another practice run to go to my dress fitting (which I obviously can''t ask FSIL to do since she already did a practice and isn''t getting paid...and won''t accept $$ from me). BUT, I know that she will be offended if I don''t have her do my hair (and probably so will the rest of the family).

UGH I feel SOO awful about this, especially since, after FI told me FSIL offered to do everyone''s hair, I told everyone that she offered, and now I have to tell everyone that no, she isn''t, and if they want it professionally done, they have to pay for it.

Please tell me what you would do at this point
7.gif
I am so upset about all this. I HATE that I seem so presumptuous now!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
this is tough! this is how i would handle it, but i don''t know if it would be best for you. i would call fsil (since you were good friends first), and start by apologizing (i know you were not in the wrong), and say

"i''m embarrassed and i''m so sorry! i did not at all mean to put you in an awkward position. fiance told me that you offered, and i thought it was extremely generous-i never expected it, and in fact, i have already talked to X hairstylist about doing hair for the wedding. i want to make sure that you relax and enjoy the day, rather than having to work at your own brother''s wedding!''

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
and my fiance is the same way about being defensive. when his mother was making snide comments about the city that i am from, and about the hostess of my bridal luncheon''s home, i said to fiance "i am so sorry and upset that your mother is not having a good time. i have tried so hard to make it nice for her." i think that sits better than "your mom is really rude and needs to stop complaining."
3.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I agree with coco, that you should call and apologize (even though it's not your fault) and tell her there was a misunderstanding. Apologies go a long way.

ETA: And I say this even though I do not get along with my SIL and don't really care much what she thinks of me -- still, I've had to apologize to her for doing nothing wrong, in order to avoid looking like a jerk.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i just reread my posts and they sound like dr. phil scripts. sorry for that lol

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Great advice, coco! Totally agree!

I believe there doesn''t have to be all the drama if you just talk to her...communicate. However, I can totally see how she would get offended if you didn''t ask her or mention something to her, and then you went with another hairstylist. But, I can also see you wanting her not to have to "work" the day of the wedding.

I think hair is a little different than "work" becasue as girls, I feel like we grew up doing each other''s hair and makeup. I remember getttg ready with my friends before prom, and there was always a friend who curled the back of my hair when I couldn''t reach...or I helped one of my friend''s with her eye makeup. It is a bit of a bonding experience. I would imagine, she''ll be there anyway when everyone is getting ready, so it might be awkward if she is NOT doing your hair...and someone that you hired comes in to do it.

Anyway, I would just talk to her...

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
ugh! what a crappy scenario! DH is exactly like that too...and then he freaks when I don''t believe him about stuff..haha.
Anyways, I''ll just mirror coco''s advice- if you guys were friends I''d just call her and explain. I''m sure she''s come across male''s version of the telephone game. haha.
I''d probably take care of it sooner then later, to avoid any weird feelings.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Definitely call her directly and speak to her, and offer an apology for the misunderstanding even though it isn''t totally your fault. Don''t blame your FI either, maybe just say something brief like you misunderstood him if you need to say anything at all to her. He is her brother!

But definitely talk to her, trying to sort all this out through your FI/MIL/mum is just going to get more and more awkward.

Explain that you love how she does your hair, you would be thrilled if she could do it, and that you don''t expect her to do anyone elses because you want her to enjoy the day. Yes she will be offended if you don''t have her do your hair, and she is good at it, so it isn''t worth offending her.

After talking to her, call your other BM''s etc and explain the misunderstanding, without blaming anyone. They will understand - it is just hair, and it is your day, not theirs.

Maybe tell them they are free to wear their hair any way they like to make it easier? Would you mind them doing it themselves?

Sorry, it is a mess but it will be easily cleared up and there will be no need to feel bad. These things happen! {HUGS}

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results