shape
carat
color
clarity

Favor Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
I could everyone''s advice on what sort of favors to have for the wedding (I''m totally late on this front with five weeks left! Eep!)...

We had talked about putting together a mix CD, but the songs we want to put on aren''t particularly romantic--just good ones that we love. Is that weird/tacky? It''d likely be mostly country (of the Lyle Lovett/Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard variety), jazz, motown and "frat rock" from the late 60''s/early 70''s (a la Sam & Dave, The Animals, etc.).

Since we''re getting married on the NH/VT border (technically in NH), I thought it might be cute to include little bottles of real Vermont maple syrup. I found a company near our reception site in VT that makes little 2-ounce bottles with your names and wedding date engraved on them. Super cute... What do you guys think?

Going with one of these ideas doesn''t preclude the other, but I was curious if y''all thought one of the ideas was bad and if you would do both, how could you combine the two into one package of sorts? I thought you could attach the placecards to the maple syrup containers and have the CD''s at everyone''s seat. Or just have both at everyone''s seat...

Let me know what you guys think!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of maple syrup - that is so cute (& sweet, haha). I''d like to find something like that from Arkansas, where we are getting married. We are also considering doing a CD too - probably a mix of songs both fast and slow that we love & also some that have a special meaning (like our first dance song, and a Perry Como song that my grandparents danced to at their wedding in 1946).

I don''t know about placement, you could put one at every seat or we''re thinking of just having a couple of baskets on a table close to the doors of the reception room w/ a little sign telling guests to take one (of whatever we decide to give).

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, do the syrup!! I don''t like wedding favors you can''t use (like.....another votive candle wrapped in tulle..... not for me, no offense meant! Just everyone does that here!), which is why we gave out jams.

You could personalize the labels with something cheesy-cute like:
Spread the love
Abradabra & Mr. Abradabra
Wedding date

I would LOVE to get real maple syrup at a wedding!!

If you go the CD route, I think your mix would go over better than a copy of your wedding music (Cannon in D anyone?). Are these songs that will definitely play throughout your reception? Go for it, and toss in your first dance!

I also think you should go one or the other. We''re left with over 1/3 of our favors because people just don''t realize they can take them! It''ll also cut down on your costs.

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
I think you're definitely on the right track. I love your idea of using the maple syrup as the placecard holder!
36.gif
I love anything miniaturized
25.gif
and I'm sure the bottles will be a hit with your guests. I also like the thought of placing the CDs at each seat (if you go with both). People will think that the syrup is their only favor, then get a bonus when they reach their table.

ETA: For the CDs, I would make a cover that said "our favorite songs" or something along those lines just so people know why there is such an interesting mix of genres.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
If I was at a wedding and got the syrup I''d think that was so cute! I like when there''s a unique touch that isnt at every wedding. Or could you do the little maple candies? Yum! You can perhaps attach a little tag to the bottles, like around the top or through a handle if there is one that has the name and table number on it too and on the other side can have your monogram and date or something like that.

Personally, I''m not a fan of the mix CDs, but I know they''re popular and I''m in the minority.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock

I vote maple syrup...that is too adorable!!!

Mmmmm....maple cadies...mmmmmm....

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Syrup is hilarious and so personal!
I LOVE it!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I like the syrup idea too... sounds so cute!
30.gif

I don''t think the CD would be weird though, if you want to do that too. I''ve gotten a few wedding CDs and they weren''t all cheesy love songs, they were all a good mix of diff styles of music.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Do the syrup!

Date: 7/25/2005 5:53:30 PM
Author: JCJD
I don''t like wedding favors you can''t use (like.....another votive candle wrapped in tulle..... not for me, no offense meant! Just everyone does that here!), which is why we gave out jams.
I feel the same way! We are doing cookies in the shape of the letter L (first letter of our last name!)... you either eat them, or FI will eat them!
9.gif

And I''m also with Blue on attaching names and table number tags to the syrup. That way everyone gets their favor AND table card. One stop shopping!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the maple syrup idea. I've never been big on the CD idea because not everyone likes the same music and no one is going to feel the same sentimental feelings that you have connected to those song. I personally think CDs are useless and a waste (I went to a wedding who had them and most of our friends just threw them away). Just my two cents.

I prefer favors that can be eaten or used. My favors are going to be some really great cookies in chinese take-out boxes. And here's an idea for those of you worried about being stuck with extra favors: We're going to send extras out to those who we invited, but for some reason couldn't make it. We're also attaching a card saying that we got married, we wished they could've made it, and we were thinking about them on our special day. We figure it might sparke an urge to buy us gifts even though they weren't there. What do you think??

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock

We made CD''s and I can''t believe how many people have called us, or stopped us a year later saying how much they loved it and listen to it all the time! We just gave one per couple though ... no need for 2 in 1 household...these comments came from people of all different ages too. They really were a big hit, and my artist BIL designed a cover for us of a vintage Hawaiian post card with surfers on it and put our faces on. It was also fun for us to do together...not stressful either. and cheap! ($1 each maybe)

Here''s the songlist we chose:

Mrs. Robinson -- it''s our last name -- entrance song
Up on the Roof -- first dance
Groovin...on a Sunday Afternoon -- Bridal Party Dance
Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World -- Parents Dance
Reminiscing
I''m Your Puppet
100 years (or is it 15?)
God Only Knows
Slow Dancin''
I''ll Be
True Companion
Night Swimming
Dance the Night Away
Shining Star
Waiting on a Friend
Lost in You
Sail Away
Fields of Gold -- Our Last Dance

also would have added today...Laughter in the Rain, Walkin on Sunshine (last dance of the night) and that awesome Ben Harper song that I can''t think of the name

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well we didn''t do any because every wedding I have been to and involved in, everyone ignores them.

That said, I think the syrup idea is awesome.

saturn

Shiny_Rock
I love the maple syrup idea! And I think it would be sooooooooo cute to use them as placecards too.
I''m just ho-hum about the CD''s. I don''t think there''s anything wrong with them, but I just don''t love the idea nearly as much as the syrup. And I have friends who have told me they don''t like CD favors. On the other hand, everyone loves maple syrup!

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Syrup is really cute...good idea, I was thinking of it myself!
We are doing cookie cutters, in the shape of a heart...they are attatched with ribbon to a card that has a recipe on it and our names, date. I figured it would be a useful favor, everyone makes cookies!

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
i love the syrups idea as well!

i would get a maple leaf craft punch and tie a few of those around the neck of the bottle with a piece of raffia or twine.

if you really want to give out cd''s as well maybe wrap those in plain brown paper and then wrap twine strung w/ maple leaf punch outs (in a larger size) as the finishing touch.

maybe just have a basket of the cd''s on a table (where the guestbook is? or where the place cards are?) so those who want one can take one and have the syrup bottles on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results