shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Update! (finally)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

I know I fell of the face of the earth for a while there, but life and this wedding have just gotten in the way of my free time!

3.gif

I have had several dress fittings, however, and I wanted to share some pics with you guys, since everyone was so supportive when I started out on this antique/custom dress trail...

First official fitting: Just the lace dress, with spanx and a bra underneath - not posting those pics for public consumption!

Second official fitting: I put a slip on underneath to get a better idea about what the dress would actuall look like. Then I freaked out because the slip was bias-cut, too small, and very clingy and made me feel not-so-great in the dress. Lara, the designer, talked me down from my panic, though and reminded me that the lining of my actual dress would be none of those things. We tried a blue sash, which I loved in threory, but in pics I found it too distracting. Plus, we later bought FI's suit (dk blue pinstripe) and the blues were very incongruous. So I requested an ivory sash instead...

Here are some pics from the second fitting:

dress fitting 1.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
(why is there so much space between my paragraphs?! Maybe it is just me -- I haven''t quite gotten used to Vista yet...)

Anyway, here is another pic from fitting #2:

dress fitting 2.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Last one from second fitting:

(excuse the looks on my face in these pics - I was very concerned about the clingy-factor when these were taken! I was much more smiley later!)

dress fitting 3.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Now that there is lining supporting the lace, it is not as drapey/heavy/weighing itself down, so it needs to be taken in - particularly in the chest and back. So try to imagine that it will be more flattering in the future. Also, there will be lining and some crinoline at the bottom to make the dress bell out more...

web fitting 2b.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea that my friend Cheryl even took this pic until I uploaded them all. LOL...she should hang around PS, because she clearly knows what is really important! (though it also could be because I made her turn around and go back to my house 20 minutes into our trip... because I forgot my ring
2.gif
)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely! Has that Monique Lhullier look to it that I love! And very flattering on your body too.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the overlay of the lace, and agree that once you have the real slip underneath you''ll feel fabulous! Congrats!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Surfgirl: Thank you! I too love ML gowns and I tried some one, but once I found the antique lace dress, I knew that I could have something similar, but a little more *me.*

Piccolascimmia: I definitely liked the last fitting better for that reason, though now, looking that the pics...

Do you ladies think the newly-added gathers at the waist-line are less flattering than the way the dress was before? I know they put the gathers into the lining because I was worried about the dress being too clingy, but now I am worried that it isn''t as flattering. After seeing the pics together here, I am starting to think I should tell them to take the gathers out and just have faith that the two layers of silk under the lace, as long as they are cut in more of an a-line shape than that first slip, will be more flattering. What do you think?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Your dress looks fabulous! It has such a romantic ethereal look :)

Can I be totally honest? I don''t want to make a more difficult situation for you, lol, but I just have to say that the blue sash looks great, in my opinion. I love it! at least ln these pictures I see, it adds a warmth to your skin tone and it is just great! (Can you tell I like it, lol). If that particular blue didn''t go perfectly, could you choose a shade darker to match the pinstripes??Although I would think that the two blues could work together, but you have seen it and I have not.

But I digress... :)
I think the gathers look great, especially from the side view you posted. It is a beautiul dress and the girl who is working on it is quite talented.
Can''t wait to see more pics, and oh, your ring goes perfectly, too!!!
3.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I love it!!

I like the gathers, I think it makes it look more vintage. I think the straight skirt is more of a modern look. I also like the ivory sash better than the blue.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Sophie: Aack! Don''t do this to me! Now I am second-guessing (again) and I think they may kill me if I go back and change my mind (again)!

Anybody else have opinions on the blue sash?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Basil! I sort-of agree about the modern vs. vintage look, BUT if we get down to the *true* period of the antique lace, it wouldn''t have them. And I don''t necessarily have a problem with it looking more modern...

I am way to indecisive for this! The wedding is in 6 weeks!
6.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
fata,
i LOVE this dress, i remember loving it from your first post when you found it.

in my humble opinion- the blue sash, while a lovely color, detracts from THIS dress. I am a huge fan of sashes in general, although when i look at you in the blue sash, my eyes go right to the sash- and that dress deserves to be SEEN!! The flowy material, the gorgeous lace pattern, i think those should be the focus of the dress, but i''m interested in others'' opinions

also, i find the gathers very flattering on the waistband,
can''t wait to see future fitting pics-

36.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Labbie! And that is EXACTLY how I felt about the blue sash -- but I adore the idea of it, so it has been hard to let go of, mentally. Thanks for the input about both, though! And I don''t know when the next fitting will be (two weeks probably), but I will be sure to post pics.

E B

Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous and delicate and perfect, Fata! Definitely a work of art.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Since you asked...I prefer the sash without the gathering as the gathers, IMO, are a distraction to the lace patterns. I dont care what color the sash is, but I like it smooth, without gathering...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 4:03:31 PM
Author: surfgirl
Since you asked...I prefer the sash without the gathering as the gathers, IMO, are a distraction to the lace patterns. I dont care what color the sash is, but I like it smooth, without gathering...

I absolutely agree. I prefer the ivory sash but smooth as well.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the dress! It''s beautiful. I love the ivory sash, either gathered or not -- both look great in my opinion.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Ebree and ZoeBartlett!

I guess I should clarify, though...I meant the gathers in the skirt, not the sash (though the sash is supposed to have gathers, they will be small and lay more flat, and not look bunched up in the front -- though now I am rethinking this as well!).

If you look at the pictures, though, see how in the fitting with the blue sash, the skirt lays close to my hips below the waist, but in the later fitting, there are gathers below the waist? Those are the ones I am asking about. Do you guys have any opinion on the difference? I am leaning towards getting rid of the gathers, but still having something more loose than the first fitting...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 5:15:06 PM
Author: fatafelice
Thanks, Ebree and ZoeBartlett!

I guess I should clarify, though...I meant the gathers in the skirt, not the sash (though the sash is supposed to have gathers, they will be small and lay more flat, and not look bunched up in the front -- though now I am rethinking this as well!).

If you look at the pictures, though, see how in the fitting with the blue sash, the skirt lays close to my hips below the waist, but in the later fitting, there are gathers below the waist? Those are the ones I am asking about. Do you guys have any opinion on the difference? I am leaning towards getting rid of the gathers, but still having something more loose than the first fitting...

I knew there was something different about the second set of pics, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I vote no gathers. The lace itself is so delicate and beautiful, and I think the gathers, like the blue sash, are a bit distracting and make the bottom of the gown a little too busy. Does that make sense?

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Gotcha-
I see what you mean now re. the gathers.
I think it looks nice either way, but- and this could be just these pics
something about it the 2nd way (with the gathers) seems to add a little something to the dress, without taking away from the lace''s pattern.
I really like it with the gathers, and I saw that you were more comfortable that way (vs. hoping if you had them taken out it would lay right) so, you gotta go with your gut.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fata: Thank you for posting a update with pictures.
36.gif
I''ve been wondering about the progress on your project!

I like the "without gathers" version, although I have to admit that I was thrown off temporarily by the huge grin on your face in the second set of pictures! Like surfgirl, I think the skirt dress without gathers shows off that fabulous lace better. The straight skirt flows naturally from the elegant back bodice, and I think it''s a more elegant, grown up look all the way around. Did I mention that I think it''s "elegant?"

Whichever you choose you''ll have a beautiful, totally unique dress!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great! I can''t wait to see the final product.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
ahhhh thank you for the clarification re the gathers....

I 100% vote for no gathers. I think it is actually way more flattering on you smoother and more fitted. I am a size 14 (sometimes 16) and carry my weight in my belly and thighs...more flowy looks accentuate this on me and smoother is definately better for me.

So, I love the 1st dress fitting, all of it!!
31.gif
31.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Is the back still sheer lace? It looks like the top is more opaque than the blue-sash picture. I liked how it was a little sheer at the top/back. Of course, that''s more like my dress...so it''s personal preference...but I think it shows off the lace better.

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE LOVE it! Either way you have it (gathers or not) I like it..... the smiling helps a lot and the lace is so gorgeous! I''d vote for no blue sash, though. I love color, but I like this particular dress better without it, personally. I went through so much indecision myself (between 2 dresses, though) and in the end, it was the right decision b/c I had to go with my gut. I know people say that a lot, but it''s true!

Think about which way makes you *feel* good, regardless of the pics or what we say
2.gif
One thing I think is important is that you feel totally confident and *comfortable* on your wedding day -- best of luck!
JEN

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow! it''s such a beautiful dress. i have been thinking about you and wondering it''s progress!
glad for the update!

ok, i vote ivory sash & no gathers in the skirt.

the ivory color gleams. it''s perfect. i like the different texture but monotone color. blue sash is too much. too different and breaks you up. the skirt gathers seem i dunno, no so elegant. don''t take this wrong, but i think the gathers are too old. and i don''t mean vintage. the flat skirt is fresh and elegant.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Ebree: Well, there is a difference in the fabric, too -- shiny satin vs. the matte side of charmeuse -- but I have been thinking the same thing...it sort of seems like the lace is getting lost.

Labbie: I definitely didn't have to feel self concious at the last fitting, but now I am worried that it isn't as flattering as it could be. Plus, after looking at the first set of pictures, I tried to make an effort to smile more the second time around.
2.gif

Minims: I agree about the elegance issue. I think it is just hard for me, knowing that I am not a size 4 and worrying that someone with wider hips shouldn't wear something fitted around that area.

Anchor: Thank you! I can't wait to see the finished product, either!

Sophie: I didn't even realize that everyone was talking about something completely different at first!
3.gif
And it is good to hear from someone of a similar build. I definitely have stayed away from gathered skirts in the past because I am very petite/short waisted and they usually make me look dumpy. When they offered up the gathers as a solution to my fears, I didn't think they would be quite so noticeable.

Basil: No, the finished dress will be opaque. It was a tough decision for me because I really like the sheer-top look, but with my chest, it is way more comfortable to be able to wear a real bra. Plus, because the dress is so flowy, it would have been really hard to build in enough support for an essentially strapless dress, and the lace itself is a little to delicate to support much of anything. We did play around with the idea of leaving a cut-out area of sheer lace, but decided that it would look odd by itself. So it is out of neccesity, basically, but it does make me a little sad that the pattern of the lace won't get to be shown off as much.
8.gif

Jen: Thank you! And I know what you mean...I am horribly indecisive about most things, though. I *knew* this dress was the way to go, but a lot of other decisions since have been really hard for me. The wedding is in 6 weeks, however, so it is time to make some decisions!

Jcrow: Since you are the epitome of elegant for me, I definitely apprecaite your advice on the topic!
9.gif
And the more I look at it, the more I think you guys are right (since it seems most people like no gathers). I just hope it isn't too much work to change. The seamstress has already been working so hard!

Everyone, thank you SO much for your input! It really helps to have objective opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results