shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress suggestions for curvy bride for outdoor wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I''m just starting the dress hunt but having trouble finding something that I really like that isn''t too over the top for an outdoor 11amish wedding this July.

A bit about me first:
33, 2nd marriage (1st husband died of cancer), being married on the Quad at the Univeristy of Illinois July 2005. Measurements: 36D on top, 28 waist, 37 hips. I''m about 5''4".

Here''s my wish list. If anyone has seen anything you think would work please post. Thanks.

1. Sheath or A line with minimal train since this will be outside with no runner etc.
2. Simple dress that is soft to the touch. I really don''t want the crisp satin fabric or a dress that will require a tulle underslip. Chiffon would be great. Definitely don''t have a requirement of silk etc.
3. Spaghetti straps, strapless or halter style
4. White instead of ivory (fiance looks bad in ivory or cream)
5. A dress that is more sexy than girly. 6. $500 or less

Most of the dresses I find that don''t have a lot of detailing but still meet my other requirements seem to be made for those lucky ladies who are 5''8" and much less curvy. Also, I''d be thrilled if this dress could be worn again on my honeymoon for a fancy dinner without looking overly bridal. Any suggestions hugely appreciated!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I unfortunately don''t have any suggestions other than to try standard retail stores (my cousin bought her wedding dress at Nordstroms), but I will keep my eyes open for you! Good luck!!!

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Hi and congrats IslandDreams!

Have you checked out the J Crew website? It''s not typically where you would expect to find a wedding dress but they do have a small wedding section that has some lovely dresses - most are available in Ivory. Their Sophia and Vivian dresses are gorgeous.

May not be quite what you are looking for but its always fun checking them out!
20.gif

Good luck !

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
4 words for you.

VERA
WANG
BRIDES
MAIDS

Check out her bridesmaid dresses they may just to the trick. I peronally love them and the meet most if not all of your criteria set out above.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
No suggestions for dressed but I''m dying to know how you got permission to get married on the Quad. I attended UI and checked into it but we ended up at Wesley UMC.
I''m not sure how much of your wedding you already have planned but I have tons of vendor info for the CU area, if you need it.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Check out the website www.bluefly.com They carry designer dresses at discount prices. Here is an example of a dress on the site right now by ABS (Allen B Schwartz) this is the company that re-creates the designer gowns the day after the big awards shows. There is only a size 6 available and the price is $219 - beautiful and elegant gown! Good luck in your search and I''ll keep my eyes open.

absdress.jpg

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a sample of one from www.nordstrom.com - Sean Collection Beaded Halter Dress - $240

seanfront.jpg

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the back of the same dress above

seanback.jpg

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I got my dress HERE. Mine is chiffon & A-line (ML 3841) - it comes in white tho i ordered it in pearl. Maybe take a look & see if anything catches your fancy? The shipping/handling was very reasonable too (tho the dress needs to be pressed). I had no problems with the order - tho they had to order the dress in my size so it took 3 months.

Best of luck to you & Congratulations!!
9.gif
35.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Another option is to look at Amsale Bridesmaids dresses. All of these seem to come in white and I think they meet the budget too.

Amsale satin 2 peice strapless with draped skirt

I'm seriously considering this option. You could customise with beading or have a veil with more detail and length if you wanted something to trail behind you.

Another option for reduced designer dresses is:

www.bridepower.com

Most of the dresses are size 10 but I guess that you'd need to consult the size charts as I'm not sure whether that's an 6-8 in real life!!

The first one is Marisa Aline BP# 04095 at $499 from $1600 but it has sleeves! Otherwise there are lots of strapless dresses such as the Helen Morley Mermaid BP# 04591 or Ristarose Sheath BP# 02671 and dresses with spaghetti straps such as Anne Barge Sheath BP# 03579 etc.

Hope these help!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

Hey curvy! We’re in the same boat, except I’m shorter (5’2”) with bigger hips (39”) and boobs (34DD ) – which makes clothing in general a nightmare. I dreaded going shopping for wedding dresses.

I chose a Maggie Sottero dress that has a corset back – this was great for accentuating my waist without making the top look like I was hanging out. The material is a light chiffon, perfect for outside (I’m getting married on the beach). The dress has a halter made of chiffon that can be removed – but I am keeping it – I LOVE it – it flows down my back. The style I got is called “Paulette” – there are beads – I know you are looking for plain, but if you browse the website they actually have a few plain ones that are similar to mine.

The price was about $700, but I bet you could find it cheaper somewhere online.

Good luck to you, and here’s the Maggie site if you want to check it out! www.maggiesottero.com

Ps – let me know what you wind up doing for undergarments – that will be a nightmare for the hour glass ladies, I’m sure!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 9:45:50 AM
Author: treysar

Hey curvy! We’re in the same boat, except I’m shorter (5’2”) with bigger hips (39”) and boobs (34DD ) – which makes clothing in general a nightmare. I dreaded going shopping for wedding dresses.

I chose a Maggie Sottero dress that has a corset back – this was great for accentuating my waist without making the top look like I was hanging out. The material is a light chiffon, perfect for outside (I’m getting married on the beach). The dress has a halter made of chiffon that can be removed – but I am keeping it – I LOVE it – it flows down my back. The style I got is called “Paulette” – there are beads – I know you are looking for plain, but if you browse the website they actually have a few plain ones that are similar to mine.

Good luck to you, and here’s the Maggie site if you want to check it out! www.maggiesottero.com

Ps – let me know what you wind up doing for undergarments – that will be a nightmare for the hour glass ladies, I’m sure!

I just had to reply to your undergarment dillema. I do test fitting for a local company called Spanx and they have amazing undergarments that are actually comfortable and keep that wonderful hourglass figure looking it''s best. Here is the website www.spanx.com
35.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I am definitely going to check out finding a white bridesmaid dress or JCrew. The other dresses you all have are lovely. Much more in line with what I was thinking. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Layne, I don''t know on the U of I Quad...my fiance is the one who graduated from there so he''s arranging that part. We actually want to have our reception there too but not sure on the logistics of that. I am only in the beginning stages of planning so any info you have on CU would be wonderful. We don''t live in Champaign-Urbana so it will be all distant planning for me.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 9:59:18 AM
Author: Libster

I just had to reply to your undergarment dillema. I do test fitting for a local company called Spanx and they have amazing undergarments that are actually comfortable and keep that wonderful hourglass figure looking it''s best. Here is the website www.spanx.com
35.gif
I love spanx! AWESOME.
36.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I purchased my dress at David''s Bridal for $300. After searching all over I ended up there and found that they have a lot of dresses in a variety of shapes, sizes, and prices.

1825dress.jpg

Here is the dress on me. As you can see I am a bit curvier than the model.

gazebo.jpg
beach_kiss_sm.jpg

You might also try this website: http://www.sophisticatedlady.us/

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2005 7:34:17 PM
Author: alexah
I got my dress HERE. Mine is chiffon & A-line (ML 3841) - it comes in white tho i ordered it in pearl. Maybe take a look & see if anything catches your fancy? The shipping/handling was very reasonable too (tho the dress needs to be pressed). I had no problems with the order - tho they had to order the dress in my size so it took 3 months.

Best of luck to you & Congratulations!!
9.gif
35.gif
Did you have to get your dress alter much when you got it or what the dress a pretty good fit n need minimal alterations?? Their prices are good, so now I am considering getting one from them.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say the dress I ordered is a standard bridal dress size - I tried on dresses prior from other bridal stores & knew what size i needed to order in order to be able to zip it up (top)...
9.gif

Having said that, I maybe should take it in a bit around the waist/hips, as my chest size/height necessitates a larger dress size... I guess it depends on how tight I''d like it to fit (it''s kind of a loose, flowy dress so it''s really not necessary)...
4.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 9
6.gif
6.gif
9 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

Date: 1/13/2005 9:59:18 AM
Author: Libster

35.gif
I love spanx! AWESOME.
36.gif
Jenn,
You Spanx girl you!
11.gif
Don''t you just love their stuff?! I''m so lucky to have a hand in some of the new products and the fit. My girlfriend does press for them and last night I had "E News Live" on and had stepped out of the room and hubby was yelling that our friend was on TV! I didn''t belive him...number one, he was actually watching entertainment TV?! Then he told me that Giuliana DePandi had interviewed her in the "Spanx" booth at the pre-Golden Globes market thing where all the stars visit to get the freebies. I was so excited and called her cell to tell her they aired her segment. She was thrilled and is having the most fun meeting all the stars and they love SPANX! She has the best job!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 9:45:50 AM

Treysar ~ I think you''re almost my body double!! Although I''m 5''0"... But I''m right there with you on the boobs & hips!! I''m dreading the shopping but I will start with Maggie Sottero. Thanks!!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
TeeBee -

Sometimes it''s the WORST EVER, but sometimes I like it. Worst being, bathing suit shopping, followed by formal dresses. It''s like, there''s no way I can find something that doesn''t have to be altered. Top=14, waist=8, hips=10/12 depending on if I''ve been good and the way sizes run.

And another thing - Those freakin bra tops from Victoria secret - I can''t wear thoe without being gawked at like I''m a prostitute, plus I HAVE TO WEAR A BRA ANYWAY.

I''m thinking breast reduction when I turn 40 (not for awhile, I''m only 29). Think I''ll have kids first and do the deed after more damage is done.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Teefee,

I had to laugh at your comment about the VS bra tops. Most of my girlfriends are less endowed than I am. When we go shopping they pick the little VS bra tops out for me to try on...and we always get a good laugh because if I actually wore one of those in my midwestern town I''d probably stop traffic. Women around here just don''t expose that much cleavage...ever!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2005 10:46:54 AM
TeeBee -

Sometimes it''s the WORST EVER, but sometimes I like it. Worst being, bathing suit shopping, followed by formal dresses. It''s like, there''s no way I can find something that doesn''t have to be altered. Top=14, waist=8, hips=10/12 depending on if I''ve been good and the way sizes run.

And another thing - Those freakin bra tops from Victoria secret - I can''t wear thoe without being gawked at like I''m a prostitute, plus I HAVE TO WEAR A BRA ANYWAY.

I''m thinking breast reduction when I turn 40 (not for awhile, I''m only 29). Think I''ll have kids first and do the deed after more damage is done.
Yep, it has it''s good points and bad points... Although, my chest size is self-inflicted so I can''t complain legitimately. My butt and hips have always been very curvy ~ even at my tiniest, when I wore a size 0 or 2, I was still so curvacious (sp?) below the waist, but was completely flat chested and felt totally disproportionate, so I got implants and have never regretted it. It''s actually easier for me to find clothes than it used to be, and since they''re fake... well, the bra just isn''t all that necessary, although I feel weird without one. I found I like the bra tops at Express a lot better than the ones at Victoria''s Secret but I haven''t looked lately since I bought about 20 a few years ago ~ it just seemed that theirs were of thicker, sturdier material or something.

Although, now that I''ve gained some weight, finding clothes is more difficult. When you''re this short a few extra pounds seems to make a big impact so the sizing thing drives me batty... I want to get in better shape over the next 5 months so that dress shopping won''t be the nightmare I''m afraid it would be if I started shopping now...
20.gif

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I don''t want to discourage you but unless you know someone it may be hard to marry on the Quad. I am 95% sure they did not allow it when I was married (2003). At that time you could get married on the front area of Foellinger Auditorium, which over looks the Q (see this link for location) http://www.uiuc.edu/ricker/CampusMap?buildingID=7&target=displayHighlight . Another concern, depending on the time of day, will be heat- there is not much shade. Although there are many beautiful trees that line the Q area there are none on the center part of the quad. You could have your reception (and wedding, if the outside area does not work out) at the Illini Union (north side of Q). Another nearby alternantive would be the church we were married at Welsley UMC. Or, if allowed, the area around the Beckman institute would be beautiful.

Let me know if you have questions about this, or anything else. Do you have some vendors booked already?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
if you gurls don''t mind me asking, what size are you???

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Gee, the size kind of depends on the type of clothes, designer etc. Most of my clothes are a size 10. Sometimes 8s. I usually buy mediums. Of course I have some 6s that fit and some 12s that fit. Often for dresses to find something that fits on top, it is too big on the bottom.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 8:57:59 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Gee, the size kind of depends on the type of clothes, designer etc. Most of my clothes are a size 10. Sometimes 8s. I usually buy mediums. Of course I have some 6s that fit and some 12s that fit. Often for dresses to find something that fits on top, it is too big on the bottom.
So is it mostly dictated by you bust size when you buy clothes???

I guess me and you have the opposite problem. Dresses that fit on the bottom are too big on top for me.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 2:54:44 PM
Author: qtiekiki

Date: 1/20/2005 8:57:59 AM
Author: IslandDreams
So is it mostly dictated by you bust size when you buy clothes???

I guess me and you have the opposite problem. Dresses that fit on the bottom are too big on top for me.
That is one reason why I bought my boobs ~ I was really tired of that problem...

At my smallest, I was a size 2, even w/ the augmentation I usually wore a small or Xsmall top. But now... well... probably around an 8 or 10 most of the time... Which is why I''m off to the gym...

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
92259aee-e862-4c0c-a619-c5aea742d6cd.enlargedNormal.jpg

Saw this dress in a magazine today and thought of this thread.. I think its really cute and flowy..

its Alfred Angelo $399

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results