shape
carat
color
clarity

Day of Wedding Makeup: Pros and Cons of Professionals v. Do it Yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For all you married ladies, did you do your own makeup on your wedding day? Or did you have a professional do it? Any pros or cons that I might not have thought of for each?

I am scared to have someone else do my makeup on the day of because the times I have had it done by someone else in the past, I HATED it. But that being said, I know that it is important to use more due to photography, etc. I do wear makeup most days and I think I am pretty good at it. If I have someone else do it, I will have a trial before.

So that being said, do you think I should have my makeup professionally done or DIY? The cost isn't a major issue, I just want to make sure I look like MYSELF that day.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone else was asking about professional makeup a week or so ago... and was there really a "difference" between that and DIY. My official stance is that a good professional makeup artist (emphasis on the GOOD part of that) will be able to transform you with makeup, if that's what you want. Or they will just do a better job of what you like to do for everyday. I say that under the assumption that you haven't taken any makeup artistry classes, read books, etc., because if you have, you may be able to do as good a job.

I have to have my makeup done at least 3-4 times a week, and while I am quite experienced and proficient with makeup application, my own work can't compare to that of a good makeup artist. They use umpteen steps (moisturize, THEN exfoliate, tone, moisturize AGAIN, apply 1st foundation, moisturize AGAIN, apply de-oiler... you get the picture) where I would skip past all their prep and slap on some vitamin oil then go to my eye makeup.

Anyway, it makes a huge difference IF you find someone good, not just in your look but the longevity of it as well as how it translates through the camera. A good artist should give you at least one trial, so it's not like you'd be going into the wedding day without knowing what you'll get.

Wow, my post is WAY too long!!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I did my own make-up on my wedding day. I didn''t really want to shell out the cash to have someone else do what I can do just as well by myself. I didn''t want to look overdone but I still wanted to look great in the photos. I kept it pretty simple - Clinique compact foundation set with pressed powder, eyeliner, shadow, mascara (lots of it), blush, lipstick and concealer. I used a heavy hand applying the eye makeup to make it more pronounced and I think I looked great - I was a glowing bride. I looked "done" but not clownish. My MOH (my sister) opted to do her own makeup as well and my bridesmaids had theirs done at the salon.

Jess

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I used to do quite a bit of modelling and so have had my make-up done professional many times. 8 times out of 10 I would really want to tinker with bits myself. Having said that there were times that they managed to make my skin look flawless when it was in need of a helping hand.

I would say if you are used to wearing makeup - the whole lot that is, base and all; read books on it and have experimented a lot(I quite often spend a happy hour or two with magazines and my makeup kit trying to recreate what they have done) and know the tricks of how to make your makeup last and how to play up the good bits and tone down the not so good then go for it.

If you''re a lipgloss and bit of mascara and go type then a professional would probably be a good move.

It''s well worth buying a few good quality items if you don''t already - cheap makeup contains less pigment and so doesn''t last well.

Try experimenting and taking some pictures with a decent digital camera with a good flash in colour and black and white to see how things are looking. I reckon on spending a good 30-40 minutes on my makeup for a special event.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I am not big on make up myself. I pretty much just stick with my basic Bare Minerals kit and some mascara. For day to day life I like to look very natural. But, for my wedding, I wanted to look nice in pictures, so I opted with letting a professional take over. She did an amazing job I thought. She actually read me like a book when I had my consultation. She said, "Well, you seem to be a natural type, so we''re not going to make you up too much, just enough for photos." I was glad because my biggest concern was that I still wanted to look like me, despite having on enough make up to make pretty photographs. I will say that in addition to liking what she did, it was really nice the day of the wedding when I didn''t have to think about doing it myself. I liked just sitting back and letting it happen and NOT thinking about it.

So, if you do go pro, get a consultation first and take a friend along who will give honest opinions. I agree with those who say make sure your makeup artist is good because a good one can make you look natural and glamorous at the same time.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where would you all reccommend looking for a makeup artist? I can''t imagine they''re listed in the yellow pages. I don''t know that I trust "Sally Jane" from Macy''s to do it...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makeup Alley, Specktra, other makeup forums, your local counter, theknot?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i really wanted to go the pro route. but i just couldn''t do it. i didn''t like it... and i so tried to love it. i got my make-up done 3 times. and i left thinking i could do it better myself.

for me, part of the reason is that i grew up loving makeup from early on. on top of that every year i''d do my own makeup for dance reviews and such. it doesn''t sound like much, but it really taught me so much about "stage" makeup or camera makeup, which is way different than street makeup. and i really learned about my face and my features. i learned how to make my eyes pop and my skin near flawless. i know what colors go with my skin.

after my makeup trial misses, i was confident to do it myself.

the main thing i''d stress is that there is SUCH a difference between everyday makeup and wedding makeup. what looks like a lot in front of the really disappears in front of the camera.

Hudson_Hawk - word of mouth in my area for the most part. i went to the only place in town that did make-up airbrushing (i live in a smaller city) and i also checked out the mac counter.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve found that the girls working the Trish McEvoy counters are very good for people who aren''t used to wearing makeup...like moi. I''m a bit concerned about this too and before we leave for our wedding, I''m going to see them and let them do a bridal makeup on me so I can see what it looks like. If I can do it fine, if not, I''ll let my hair person try...but yea, I''ve had horrid makeup done for me by pros where I looked like a hooker! What I like about Trish M is that they categorize you according to how much makeup you usually use so they dont freak you out with a clown face...

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a huge makeup person, but decided to go with a pro for my wedding day. And I''m sooo glad I did. I have good skin, but the airbrushed makeup made it look flawless, and yes- natural! And it stayed put through everything. I looked just as fresh at 11p as I did at 2p! Oh yeah, she also applied lashes on me (just at the corners), which really made my eyes pop.

If you do go the pro route, a trial is essential! Not only to make sure that you like the artist''s work, but also to make sure that you are comfortable with them and that they listen to you.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I had my make up professionally done; my hairstylist also does professional make up and she knows me well so she knew how to make me look exactly like myself, only a bit more polished, which was very important as I''m a pretty casual person and didn''t want there to be a huge difference between normal me and wedding day me. I was so pleased with her work and couldn''t have done it myself.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I did have my makeup done professionally. We did a trial run, so to speak, and I was happy with what she did for me. I do not like looking "over" made up and she followed my wishes. I couldn''t have done as well, myself. She did my hair, too.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 5:45:14 PM
Author: surfgirl
I''ve found that the girls working the Trish McEvoy counters are very good for people who aren''t used to wearing makeup...like moi. I''m a bit concerned about this too and before we leave for our wedding, I''m going to see them and let them do a bridal makeup on me so I can see what it looks like. If I can do it fine, if not, I''ll let my hair person try...but yea, I''ve had horrid makeup done for me by pros where I looked like a hooker! What I like about Trish M is that they categorize you according to how much makeup you usually use so they dont freak you out with a clown face...
I agree about Trish McEvoy...they really listened to what I wanted, and applied makeup on one side, and all along taught me how to apply it on the other eye. It was nice to walk away feeling like I could recreate what they had done.

Also, it was refreshing to actually have the make up artist listen to me...while I love some MAC products (for example) I always feel like I look too made up when I walk away from those counters. Just in my experience though...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
YEs sunshine! I love that they make you do the other side so you leave knowing how to do it, plus they give you those BIG cheat sheets and write what you did. I also love that they categorize you and I was like a Level One - people who dont normally wear make up and are afraid of it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I paid a lot of money for pro; it looked horrible so I washed it off and did it myself.
15.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did my own makeup and it turned out wonderfully if I do say so myself, LOL! Seriously, I love doing my own makeup anyway and anytime someone else has done mine "professionally" it just didn''t turn out well, it didn''t even look like me! Maybe I''m a control freak...I like doing my own nails too and I get very picky when I have a mani/pedi done because there is always some mistake going on. Anyway, if you feel capable doing your own makeup then why spend the extra money to have someone else do it?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I just had my hair and make-up trial on Mon. night and me being a make-up person, I absolutely LOVED what my make-up artist did for me!!!
30.gif
30.gif
She was recommended by the venue where I am getting married (it''s a five star luxury hotel and resort) so, I trusted her. She even complimented me on my make-up before we started which had been on since 7am that day, but she was 100 times better than what I could''ve ever done.

Basically, it''s all about trying different things, getting recommendations and looking at the end result which you then have to ask yourself - could I do it better?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 2:21:09 AM
Author: monarch64
I did my own makeup and it turned out wonderfully if I do say so myself, LOL! Seriously, I love doing my own makeup anyway and anytime someone else has done mine ''professionally'' it just didn''t turn out well, it didn''t even look like me! Maybe I''m a control freak...I like doing my own nails too and I get very picky when I have a mani/pedi done because there is always some mistake going on. Anyway, if you feel capable doing your own makeup then why spend the extra money to have someone else do it?

LOL. I am a totally control freak too. I am already relenquishing control of my hair to someone else because I KNOW I can''t do that myself. But I think I might be ok with the makeup. I can''t find ANY reviews online of the makeup artist at my hair place, where hair recommendations are all over the web. So...I''m unsure still. Ugh.

Thanks for all the stories, it seems pretty split. Does anyone REGRET not having a professional do your makeup?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I had my make-up done, and she way overdid it, using too dark of a foundation and too bright of a lip shade. I ended up putting a lighter coat of foundation over the top, and scraped off the red lipstick. It looked fine after that.

I would recommend a trial run, if you don''t like it, then just do it yourself.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
I did my makeup for my wedding... I used to do makeup a couple years ago in college for some extra money.. and I''ve been slightly obsessed with makeup since I was about 11.. so I never really doubted my ability to do it... I say if you are confident in yourself... then why not do it yourself and save the money.. BUT..

if you are even remotely doubtful, then I would suggest having it done professionally... but.. make sure you have a trial or two... remember.. most makeup counters offer this service (makeup applications) for free!!! so.. I recommend going to counters to try out new colors etc. just to get a feel for the colors you like... this way... the person doesnt have TOTAL control over what goes on your face.. you have at least some say in what you like! Then when you meet with a potential make up artist to do your make up you can say what you like and dont like and what look you are going for.

Most people didnt even know that I did my makeup.. I had 10 min. to do it... (photog was early!!!) and I was sooo happy with it.. I think DKS said on my photo post that it looked so natural... which is exactly what I was going for... beach wedding.. natural, fresh face...etc.. I guess I achieved that.. its sooo funny to hear everyone''s reaction when I tell them I did it myself...

So.. in closing (sorry for the long winded-ness) if you have any doubts.. hire someone.. but do a little research and figure out what you like.. it will help to you to have a little control.. so your makeup will look VERY well done.. but it wont look like a painted doll face.. ya know.. it will look natural!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i had mine done on the big day by a woman i had gone to a few times before. she knew exactly how i wanted it and she wears her make-up sorta like me. although she did try to get me to do under eye liner---uhhhh no.

for 2 of my friends weddings i had a woman just even out my skin tone with the concealer and then did my own from there that way it stayed on all day and looked smooth and i didn''t look overdone like the rest of my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results