shape
carat
color
clarity

cupcake designs needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, my fiance and I have finally solved the what-to-do-about-cake issue. We have been racking our heads to come up with something unique. Our reception is an outdoor BBQ--much more casual than the usual banquet dinners. So, we have decided not to go with the traditional tiered wedding cake. Instead, we decided to ask both our moms to make our favorite childhood dessert. His favorite dessert from his mom is apple pie so his mom is going to make several apple pies from scratch. My favorite dessert from my mom is a zuchinni chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting (you can''t see or taste the zuchinni--it just makes the cake super moist). But rather than doing whole cakes, she''s going to make individual cupcakes. Normally she would just do the white creamcheese frosting and that''s it, but we want to dress them up a little for my wedding. So, I am looking for EASY cupcake design ideas. I was thinking 1 large bright flower... Does anyone have any ideas? I have no cake decorating experience but I can learn :)

We''re going to buy/rent some stands so we can arrange the pies & cupcakes more artistically--we don''t want it to look like a church bake sale.

Thanks for your ideas.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a fun idea!!! Way to incorporate the things you both love! Awesome.... In regards to your cupcake question- I do believe that you can find screen prints to put over the iced cupcake. I know that bakeries offer "classes" you can learn to work with the tools to make great and easy decorations. The classes are fun and VERY inexpensive.... Hope this helps! Good luck!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Sooooo cute! I''m planning a small, somewhat casual wedding, and it''s likely most of the food at my wedding will be mom/grandma food! I love the idea for cupcakes. I think a single flower would be super cute. I don''t know if you could do much with this, but when I made Easter cupcakes a few weeks ago, I used shredded coconut and green food coloring to make "grass" and put 3 little mini Whopper eggs on each, and they were really cute! Of course, you would want something other than easter eggs, but if you like grass (haha) and can think of something cute to put on it, then it might work. :)

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a link: http://www.gailwatsoncake.com/kit_cupcake.html

It is a kit that includes pre-made sugar flowers. I don''t know anyone who has bought this kit, but it looks pretty easy. You can also buy pre-made sugar flowers or icing flowers at wedding food places. I have a store near me called The Cake Cottage that sells a wide variety. It might be a chain store? I am not sure.

You could also purchase silk flowers (or some other type of fake flowers), trim them, and put a bloom on top of each cupcake. I have heard that it is a good idea to avoid using real flowers if you think any of your guests may be allergic.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wilotn makes cute choclate candy molds that I use as cupcake toppers all the time, heart flowers and any sesonal pattern you can think of. Also you might try the oriental trading comapny they have things like fake class slippers we used these as cupcake toppers and it was really sweet. Does your wedding have a theme?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
What about something like these candy flowers you could just stick on top?

candywarehouse_1838_189831572
www.candywarehouse.com

Or you could get a pastry bag and a flower tip and make REALLY easy flowers. To make this is just the using the tip and a little twist. Maybe make like a cluster of 3? You can get all different sizes of the designs. I think the 5th one down on the right side would make a really cute flower.

WILT-OPENSTAR.JPG

Another idea would be to find a cute flower cookie cutter and lightly press into the icing and then trace the lines with color frosting. You could fill with colored sugar crystals or more icing or just leave the outlines.

Or maybe just sprinkles in your wedding colors?

ETA: Or your initials in icing? Or find some sugar/chocolate letters?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'd love to do a cake decorating class, but I don't have time right now. But I did find a great solution. You can indeed buy the sugar flowers predone. I found a lady who will do the flowers off the cake I originally liked...I know it's been posted...it looks like it has flowers growing up it...long green stems with bright pink flowers on top...3 layers. (I'd post it, but the picture I have is a bmp and I don't have conversion software.) Anyway, the flowers on top are ranuculus and the lady said she'll make them for me. Best of all the price is $15 for 50! Yahoo...$30 plus shipping for all my decorations!

For anyone who's interested here's the link. She makes tons of different types of flowers. Bonus most of them are totally edible which was a requirement considering 25% of my guests will be kids who might not think to take off the decoration.

http://www.cakeart.us/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/3467

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Island Dreams- I made these cupcakes for a lingerie shower. They were Strawberry and Coconut Cupcakes with creamcheese icing. I used gel icing for the hearts and the "Monogram" look. The heart cupcakes are actually mini cupcakes, but I think the tradition size with your soon to be new last initial is way cuter. They turned out really fun. You can find really neat paper cupcake liners at Target or use a avoid liners all together by spraying a really nice even layer of pam in your cupcake mold.

Pretty Pink Princess Decorations-small.jpg

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
For another treat in addition to cupcakes, you could make something like these heart shaped sandwich cookies, you can also make them in the shape of a square and decorate them like little wrapped packages. You could use candied pearls for a classier look. I also made these for the lingerie shower. They are WONDERFUL, and I get requests for them all the time. If you want the recipe let me know. For a wedding, I would avoid the crazy pink sprinkles- this was for a lingerie shower with an "all pink" theme.

Janna

Heart shaped cookies-small.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Janna, all your baked goods are adorable. When a close friend of mine adopted her son from Bolivia, I gave her a baby shower. We printed up invitations using (with his permission) the drawing of a llama done by an artist on the 'net. I also brought a llama Christmas ornament in to a bakery and asked them to copy it, making blue llamas out of marzipan. The cupcake pictures reminded me of the llamas. I take it IslandDreams is not yet ready for a baby shower, though :).

Something I sometimes do for parties is a rainbow loaf: take a loaf of unsliced white bread; slice it twice across its length; fill two layers with a different pastel colored cream cheese toppings and then "ice" it with a third pastel color cream cheese topping. You can mix olives into one color cream cheese, walnuts into another, etcetera, then put together the flavors that complement each other. When sliced the bread looks like a cake filled with rainbow colored icings.

Deb

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh Girl,

I just found some really cute cupcakes! They are DARLING! I think these are more classy looking than my ligerie cupcakes. The recipe in on Martha Stewarts website. Simply go to www.marthastewart.com and enter "monogrammed cupcakes" in the search box. Here is a picture and the recipe for the rolled fondant monogram hearts.

Monogrammed Fondant Hearts

Makes 55

Cornstarch, for work surface and monogram stamps
Monogram Stamps- I bet you could find at a hobby store (like Hobby Lobby- or Michaels)
1 pound rolled fondant

1.Lightly dust a clean work surface with cornstarch. Using a small rolling pin, roll out half the fondant about 1/8 inch thick.

2.Blot one of the monogram stamps in cornstarch, and quickly but gently press stamp into the fondant. Repeat, blotting stamp each time in cornstarch and leaving about 3 inches between each imprint, until entire surface has been stamped.

3.Cut out hearts by centering and placing the heart cutter over each imprint. Remove all excess fondant from around the cut-out shapes; roll out again, and stamp and cut out more hearts, if needed, or reserve for another use.

4.Repeat with remaining fondant.

5.Using an offset spatula, carefully transfer fondant hearts to parchment-lined baking sheets; let stand at room temperature until completely dry and firm, about 1 day. Cover dry hearts with plastic wrap until ready to use.

monogrammed cupcakes.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh I think that one bright flower sounds lovely! I also like the idea of smaller flowers such as stephanoitis or sweetpeas...I think that either way the cupcakes will look beautiful and elegant!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results