shape
carat
color
clarity

Congratulations vs. Best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Have y''all heard of this? One of my aunts told me that if you say "Congratulations" to a newly engaged girl, it implies that FINALLY she got a man to marry her. But if you say "Best Wishes", it''s as if she chose him, not that he chose her. Since then, I''ve been trying to pay attention to what people say and I have had many people tell me/write to me "Best Wishes" and "Congratulations" to my fiance. It''s an old custom that probably older generations abide by, but I thought it was interesting!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard that one LOL everyone has been telling me/us congratulations, FI and I were together 10.5 years before getting engaged so you know you may be on to something ;-) LOL.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Lanie,

Acutally there was an article about this is this month's Spirit magazine. (It's the Southwest Airlines magazine) They were doing an interview/article with Emily Post's granddaughter, who still works and writes for the company.

The man brought up how his wife gave him a weird look when he congratulated a fellow employee on her new engagement. It was stated that this used to be very off kilter, but this day in age, any kind of congratulations is suitable.

Here is the article, I actually read it last weekend when I was flying home for Christmas. Very interesting to see that the family still has so much to do with etiquette nowadays.
http://www.spiritmag.com/2008_12/features/extreme-etiquette-2.php

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
That is interesting, because for me, I feel like saying best wishes is kind of like saying "Wow, good luck with THAT" I know that isn''t the intent of best wishes, but forever whatever reason, that is what first comes to mind for me...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was always taught that you say Congratulations to the groom and Best Wishes to the bride.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
That''s funny! My FMIL said the same to me: "You congratulate the groom and give the bride your best wishes!"

I didn''t understand it, but I guess it makes sense.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard of it, but it''s pretty outdated in the area/social circles I am in. IMO, it''s pretty silly to have to use different euphemisms to convey "I am happy for you" depending on the sex of the person you''re talking to.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 9:59:47 AM
Author: Morgie44
That is interesting, because for me, I feel like saying best wishes is kind of like saying ''Wow, good luck with THAT'' I know that isn''t the intent of best wishes, but forever whatever reason, that is what first comes to mind for me...
I know, right??? That''s what I was thinking too! Best wishes when he leaves the seat up all the time.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 9:06:49 AM
Author: meresal
Here is the article, I actually read it last weekend when I was flying home for Christmas. Very interesting to see that the family still has so much to do with etiquette nowadays.

http://www.spiritmag.com/2008_12/features/extreme-etiquette-2.php

I read the same article! It was pretty interesting. It made me want to read some of the Emily Post books.

I thought about the implication of Congratulations vs Best Wishes. I do feel like Best Wishes sort of implies "Good luck with that" as Morgie pointed out. Personally, I''m grateful for whatever well wishes or congrats someone is conveying to me and my FI.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never heard that before! I think I always say Congratulations-woops!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I had never heard this either until someone at work corrected another girl for telling me "congratulations". Personally, I think it''s kind of silly; I''m happy for any form of congratulations or best wishes I get! (and I''m sure other girls are too) Another co-worker and I thought it was a silly custom so we spent the next 20 minutes joking about things you can say to the bride other than "congratulations". Our favorites:

Ouch.
I always thought you would do better.
Are you pregnant or something?
Maybe you should get your eyes checked.
He must''ve given you a big ring.
Maybe you should rethink this.

Lol, sorry, we''re so obnoxious. And obviously not very up on wedding etiquette. I do find things like this really interesting though! Depite making fun of it, I''m sure I''ll be noticing what I say when I give a newly engaged girl my best wishes instead of congratulations
4.gif

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 1:08:22 PM
Author: elrohwen
I had never heard this either until someone at work corrected another girl for telling me ''congratulations''. Personally, I think it''s kind of silly; I''m happy for any form of congratulations or best wishes I get! (and I''m sure other girls are too) Another co-worker and I thought it was a silly custom so we spent the next 20 minutes joking about things you can say to the bride other than ''congratulations''. Our favorites:

Ouch.

Lol, sorry, we''re so obnoxious. And obviously not very up on wedding etiquette. I do find things like this really interesting though! Depite making fun of it, I''m sure I''ll be noticing what I say when I give a newly engaged girl my best wishes instead of congratulations
4.gif
Hee hee...I''m laughing during class...and I''m the teacher.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 1:43:09 PM
Author: Lanie

Date: 1/6/2009 1:08:22 PM
Author: elrohwen
I had never heard this either until someone at work corrected another girl for telling me ''congratulations''. Personally, I think it''s kind of silly; I''m happy for any form of congratulations or best wishes I get! (and I''m sure other girls are too) Another co-worker and I thought it was a silly custom so we spent the next 20 minutes joking about things you can say to the bride other than ''congratulations''. Our favorites:

Ouch.

4.gif
Hee hee...I''m laughing during class...and I''m the teacher.
Haha, I''m glad we''re not the only ones who find it funny.
19.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never heard of this ''rule'' either...and after giving it more thought, I don''t think I''ve ever even said "best wishes" out loud before! I''ve written it in many cards but it sounds pretty odd to me to say ''best wishes'' or ''i wish you the best'' (?!?) to someone....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was taught to say "congratulations" to the groom and "best wishes" to the bride.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
The only time I had ever heard of this was on an episode of Gilmore Girls (my guilty pleasure show!). Emily and Richard were renewing their vows after their separation, and Luke told Emily "congratulations" and Emily corrected him and said congratulations are for the groom, and best wishes are for the bride.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
oh gilmore girls, they''re always good for showing us proper etiquette
me and fi even discussed naming our first daughter lorelei lol, we both love that show

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too funny! "Best wishes" has always sounded a bit curt/sarcastic to me, no matter who said it or the occasion. I don''t think a single person told either of us "best wishes," everyone said "congratulations" (or "yaaaaaaaaay" haha), and I don''t think they weren''t thinking "finally" as I was only 22 when he proposed
3.gif

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Haha! I hadn't heard of this rule either and like Bee, I've always congratulated both people on their engagement regardless of gender.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
All I could think of when I saw this thread was Gilmore Girls!

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Eh. I didn't care what people said. I think people are too uppity about that kind of thing. My mom made a big deal about it, too.

To me, congratulations was exactly what it is in the dictionary: "an expression of joy in the success or good fortune of another." Getting married to the love of my life was certainly good fortune, and I appreciated it every time someone said it.

And he DID choose me, just as much as I chose him. This is not a one-way street here. He is no more privileged to have me than I am to have him - after all, he had to CHOOSE me in order to PROPOSE to me.

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
I was taught to follow the "Congratulations to the groom and Best Wishes to the bride" thing. I''ve always just done it for fear of offending someone, but now reading that some people perceive "best wishes" as being curt or sarcastic, maybe I''ve been doing the wrong thing all along. What a headache! I''m just going to say "I''m so happy for you" from now on.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I always thought it was "Congratulations" to the man (on a fine catch). I bet most Hallmark (engagement) cards say both.....

cheers--Sharon

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 11:55:21 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I always thought it was ''Congratulations'' to the man (on a fine catch). I bet most Hallmark (engagement) cards say both.....

cheers--Sharon
But do you see my point? To all the ladies, don''t you think your man is a fine catch? I know I think mine is. If he should be congratulated on a fine catch, I think I should be, too.

And I agree with others who said it seems almost like "good luck with that". It does seem very grim.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 10:27:22 AM
Author: Octavia
I''ve heard of it, but it''s pretty outdated in the area/social circles I am in. IMO, it''s pretty silly to have to use different euphemisms to convey ''I am happy for you'' depending on the sex of the person you''re talking to.

Ditto!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Yep, I''ve heard it before...annnd I do it anyway sometimes.
31.gif
But not to be rude, just like Congrats more at times.
3.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I''ve never heard about any of this congrats/best wishes stuff... I''m certain everyone has said the former to me.

I''ll hafta ask my mama about this one... She''s a bit older, perhaps she''s heard of this before
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 10:27:22 AM
Author: Octavia
I''ve heard of it, but it''s pretty outdated in the area/social circles I am in. IMO, it''s pretty silly to have to use different euphemisms to convey ''I am happy for you'' depending on the sex of the person you''re talking to.

Oh my goodness! If you''re saying ANY euphemism to a bride or groom, then perhaps you should just keep your mouth shut! Weddings are not the time for veiled harshness. (I know that''s not what you meant, Octavia, but I just thought it was funny.)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 10:04:03 AM
Author: OUpeargirl
I was always taught that you say Congratulations to the groom and Best Wishes to the bride.
Me too!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard this before, but I have never actually seen anyone use it IRL. "I give you my best wishes" sounds so formal and weird...it would be hard to say to someone with a straight face.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results