shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Vegas Brides...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
So last year I threw a birthday party...this year, a wedding!!

This August we''ll be going to Vegas in order to celebrate the marriage of my husbands cousin to his fiance.

They have been together for 10 years and fell on hard time about 3 years ago. They have worked really hard to pick themselves back up, and finally decided they wanted to get married. We''re so thrilled for them and we love them both so much...we couldn''t be happier, really.

They have decided they want to elope. Very small, just us and our other cousins...10 of us in total. They chose to do a drive wedding thru wedding...which I think is going to be crazy fun. But they have mentioned that fund are really tight and they can''t afford much more than the wedding itself.

My husband and I really want to celebrate this...it''s been a long time coming, and they deserve a big celebration in their honor. We are planning a nice dinner after they marry that we''ll take care of for everyone...but I really want to do a wedding cake from them as well.

I have found an amazing vendor on Etsy who is making the most adorable wedding cake topper for them...they love to bowl, and she is incorporating that theme together with their Vegas wedding. It''s going to be 100% them, which I love.

So...that leads me to my question...cake should really delicious and pretty. And because I''m in Chicago, I can''t do the typical tastings and all of that...I''ve never had cake in Vegas before, the restaurant I could pick in my sleep, but this is a bit more daunting.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could go to get a beautiful and equally tasty wedding cake? I''m bouncing between doing individual cakes or one small cake...I don''t want it to be the traditional fondant with pearls...I want it to be fun and interesting and just "Vegas!"...

Any help would be really appreciated...I''m going in blind here!!

Hugs & Thanks

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Wish I could help, just wanted to say how very thoughtful of you to go to such effort to make their day special. It will be so appreciated by the happy couple, I am sure!

The topper sounds so poignant and personalized! Sounds like fun!
36.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Oh thanks, you''re sweet!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I would narrow down your search with Wedding Wire reviews or maybe information from The Knot. Then check out portfolios of decorations. As for flavors/taste, stick to simpler stuff. Chocolate or vanilla cake with fruit or something that would be hard to screw up. I think that when you go with super complicated concoctions that you can''t taste yourself first, you leave the opportunity open for a disaster with it tasting funky/ not quite what you imagined.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Italia!

I think what you''re doing is really sweet, but can I be totally honest for a second? My inner control freak is kind of cringing at your post.

You''re talking about you throwing a wedding - well, this is HER wedding that you''re throwing. Maybe give the girl some input on her own wedding meal/cake? Maybe she''s got a dream cake (or style) and she''s sad she can''t afford it. Heck, maybe it''s white fondant and pearls. Who knows? But if you''re really trying to make this feel like a wedding for her, maybe give her some input. Maybe ask yourself if the surprise element is more important or her feeling super excited for a little bit of a nicer wedding than she was expecting. I don''t know this bride, so I can''t say that she wouldn''t be totally thrilled with something kind of "fun and VEGAS!" but it could be a really nice thing to ask her for some inspiration cakes because you really want to make HER dreams come true.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 1:41:34 PM
Author: princesss
Hey, Italia!

I think what you''re doing is really sweet, but can I be totally honest for a second? My inner control freak is kind of cringing at your post.

You''re talking about you throwing a wedding - well, this is HER wedding that you''re throwing. Maybe give the girl some input on her own wedding meal/cake? Maybe she''s got a dream cake (or style) and she''s sad she can''t afford it. Heck, maybe it''s white fondant and pearls. Who knows? But if you''re really trying to make this feel like a wedding for her, maybe give her some input. Maybe ask yourself if the surprise element is more important or her feeling super excited for a little bit of a nicer wedding than she was expecting. I don''t know this bride, so I can''t say that she wouldn''t be totally thrilled with something kind of ''fun and VEGAS!'' but it could be a really nice thing to ask her for some inspiration cakes because you really want to make HER dreams come true.

Interesting take...but knowing the bride like I do, we''re good friends, she is the type of person who isn''t into the big deal wedding and would get more from the pure shock then dipping her hands into every detail. Every aspect of the wedding that I''ve touched has been really geared towards them and their interests, I have pulled from them key things to make the celebration all about them.

To be honest with you, last time we spoke--which was Sunday--she made the comment that she wasn''t even thinking about the wedding...so, as you can see, she''s pretty laid back and hands off.

I also don''t want to make her feel badly. I just want to celebrate her big day--it''s not a wedding that we''re throwing with flowers, dancing...we''re taking them to a lovely dinner and with a special cake. It''s a little different.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, Italia!

I think what you're doing is really sweet, but can I be totally honest for a second? My inner control freak is kind of cringing at your post.

You're talking about you throwing a wedding - well, this is HER wedding that you're throwing. Maybe give the girl some input on her own wedding meal/cake? Maybe she's got a dream cake (or style) and she's sad she can't afford it. Heck, maybe it's white fondant and pearls. Who knows? But if you're really trying to make this feel like a wedding for her, maybe give her some input. Maybe ask yourself if the surprise element is more important or her feeling super excited for a little bit of a nicer wedding than she was expecting. I don't know this bride, so I can't say that she wouldn't be totally thrilled with something kind of 'fun and VEGAS!' but it could be a really nice thing to ask her for some inspiration cakes because you really want to make HER dreams come true.

Ditto Princess.

Italia, I get that you know her really well, but as her dear friend I think you need to respect her right to veto things, whether you think she'll invoke that right or not. I mean, I work in product development and I'm constantly doing research to better understand what our customers want. You would think after months of reviewing past research I would inherently *know* what they want, because I know our market so well, but I'm surprised time and time again. So when planning new products I always ask the customers what it is that *they* want versus designing a product based on what I *think* they want.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Italia - That is so sweet of you! For someone who is super laid-back and isn't too concerned about the details one way or the other, I am sure she will be delighted with whatever you decide to surprise her with. The cake topper sounds too cute, and it is very thoughtful of you to incorporate things that will be important to the couple.
1.gif

I wish I could help you with the cake. I believe Freke had her wedding in Vegas. I hope she sees your thread. If anyone knows where to find a great cake in Vegas, I am sure Freke will!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 3:06:01 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Hey, Italia!

You''re talking about you throwing a wedding - well, this is HER wedding that you''re throwing. Maybe give the girl some input on her own wedding meal/cake? Maybe she''s got a dream cake (or style) and she''s sad she can''t afford it. Heck, maybe it''s white fondant and pearls. Who knows? But if you''re really trying to make this feel like a wedding for her, maybe give her some input. Maybe ask yourself if the surprise element is more important or her feeling super excited for a little bit of a nicer wedding than she was expecting. I don''t know this bride, so I can''t say that she wouldn''t be totally thrilled with something kind of ''fun and VEGAS!'' but it could be a really nice thing to ask her for some inspiration cakes because you really want to make HER dreams come true.

Interesting take...but knowing the bride like I do, we''re good friends, she is the type of person who isn''t into the big deal wedding and would get more from the pure shock then dipping her hands into every detail. Every aspect of the wedding that I''ve touched has been really geared towards them and their interests, I have pulled from them key things to make the celebration all about them.

To be honest with you, last time we spoke--which was Sunday--she made the comment that she wasn''t even thinking about the wedding...so, as you can see, she''s pretty laid back and hands off.

I also don''t want to make her feel badly. I just want to celebrate her big day--it''s not a wedding that we''re throwing with flowers, dancing...we''re taking them to a lovely dinner and with a special cake. It''s a little different.
Gotcha.
1.gif
I just tend to feel that the gift should be about the recipient and since I don''t know her all I was seeing was a lot of "Italia" in your post and not a whole lot about the bride, KWIM? You know her best, I just wanted to throw out a different perspective in case you hadn''t considered it.

I think you''re doing a very sweet thing, and I''d be touched to have a friend that cared this much about helping me celebrate my big day.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would imagine most nice restaurants have a pastry chef. I would call where you are having dinner and see if they do. If they don''t, they may be able to recommend you to somewhere you can have one made.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay...

I see where you all are coming from...and I want to clarify some things...

This is our gift to them. We''re not "hosting a wedding"...we''re taking the couple (and everyone else) out for a meal to celebrate and buying a dessert to follow. I''m not being so bold as to pick colors, or buy flowers....please know, if I were doing those things, I''d FOR SURE consult the bride. This is more a big surprise to follow up their vows.

And yes, we did talk with the couple in covert terms...asking what they want to eat, and so on...the groom **really** wanted to go to a fancy steak joint at some point of the trip, so we thought going to one following the wedding would be nice for them. We''ve been to Vegas many times, and we''ve eaten at a lot of nice places...we picked the nicest one that my DH claims has a killer steak, and thought that would be a good place to go. Now, if I was trying to make this about me...I wouldn''t have picked that place or that meal because I don''t eat steak...but it''s all about them and we''re happy to do whatever they want.

Originally we just wanted to take them out for a nice meal, but then I found the cake topper. It was really perfect for them, and I wanted to buy it and have it customized for them as a keepsake since they won''t be taking much from the day--no photographs, or video or other traditional mementoes that most couples have after the big day is over.

I figured giving a cake topper without a cake would be downright stupid. But, I think all of you are right...wedding cakes can go so far and so wide with many choices in between. I don''t want to step on her toes, and despite **thinking** I could make a good choice, who knows? So, I''ve scrapped the cake idea all together and decided to go to the pastry shop in the Bellagio and buy a huge assortment of desserts. A little of this and little of that. I''ll have them set up on a platter with the topper in the middle. It''ll have something for everyone--from cake, to truffles, to cookies, to fudge. Broad and vast. Some will be wedding themes, others Vegas themes...and yes, bowling themed cookies, too.

I don''t want to make this about me. I''ve had my wedding. But I want to acknowledge this day for these to two people who are my family and that I love. I know they are cutting way back to even go to Vegas, and if there is one thing I understand, it''s the importance of what they''re doing there. I would love to say "we''re hosting a dinner for you...tell me everything you want!!"...but lets be honest, I''m working with a budget and I''m making the best, most universal choices I can to stay within what I have to work with. I don''t want to put the bride under my thumb saying "I only have XXXX to spend, so work with it" and end up having to veto her choices or have that hard talk about money, because she gets enough of that at home...and I also don''t want her to feel badly that we''re hosting this, either--I don''t want her to feel like we''re expecting a wedding, and because they can''t host it, we might as well just do it ourselves--because that''s not where we''re coming from either. I just want her to have that singular perfect day that feels like a fairytale.

So maybe I''m doing this wrong...but I just remember how it felt to be a bride...and I want her to look back and know how much we cared about her and J and all they were doing. I''m not trying to be pompous, I just want to give them a fantastic wedding gift, thats'' all.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Italia, I think it''s very sweet that you''re willing to go to all this effort for your good friends. However, I''m of the mind that proportion is as important sometimes as intent - I don''t think it''s any less special and caring if you tailored it so that you give them something they will be comfortable with. And that comfortable might not be a deluge of desserts, or an elaborate cake. In fact, it might be as simple as just wanting their close friends with them for this small, intimate, not attention-drawing or splashy but very sentimental event, know what I mean?

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Im not a Vegas Bride, but a Vegas LIW......some of the top cake places are Cake World, Freed''s bakery and even Jerrys Nugget, but if you want to go for something fun, look into the CupeCakery...they are kind of pricey, but REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good
18.gif
and have fun flavors. They do a lot of things like this.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Italia, which steak house is this? We may be able to come up with more ideas if you tell us the location.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 1:22:23 AM
Author: choro72
Italia, which steak house is this? We may be able to come up with more ideas if you tell us the location.

We''re going to StripSteak at Mandalay Bay.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice! I''m heading to the MB on Sunday, I''ll have to try it while I''m there.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
As a bride that did not chose her cake, meal, venue or anything besides my dress and one of my best friends show up in a white dress and I did not realize until I got the pictures and even then I did not care. I can tell you that I would had love if someone surprise me with a nice cake. If she is laid back as you said, get her the cake, she will love it because it''s from you to her. That''s all what matters.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I love that cake...and I love a few others that I saw...

But, the thing is...I need a small cake to feed 10 (well, now 12) people...and the prices are extremely high.

I''m just doing a dessert tray. It''s the most cost effective, broad stroke, please everyone thing i can do.

daleysmom

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 1:01:50 PM

But, the thing is...I need a small cake to feed 10 (well, now 12) people...and the prices are extremely high.

I''m just doing a dessert tray. It''s the most cost effective, broad stroke, please everyone thing i can do.
As I mentioned before, you could ask MB to work with you as far as the look of the cake as well as the size to accomodate that topper. Sorry, but I don''t relish the thought of seeing an awesome topper on a charger plate/platter plopped in the midst of a bunch of random desserts. Doesn''t scream "wedding" to me.

You''re spring ~$1300 for dinner for the 12 of you--I cannot fathom why StripSteak and Mandalay Bay wouldn''t try to work with you a bit on the cake issue in order to keep your business all under one roof. I think bringing in a dessert smorgasboard from an outside source is going to be more of a PITA than you realize and probably not that cost effective, but of course I say this without having compared them myself. I''m sure you know best.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re already spending $1300 on dinner, is another $200 for a cake really such a big deal? I''d do it if this were my really good friend. I just think it''s funny that you''re willing to shell out such a big amount for this, but you won''t put out for a cake.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit that my initial reaction was similar to Princess''s -- if the bride and groom have made peace with the idea of having a small wedding, hosting their wedding dinner could be taken the wrong way. But offering to pay for the wedding dinner as your wedding gift to them is very different, and I suspect it''s a gesture that will be appreciated. Have you let the bride and groom know that you''ll be doing this, or the other guests? Maybe one of the other couples would like to take care of the cake as their contribution to the festivities.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Italia, I think your gift to the bride and groom is very sweet and thoughtful of you.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 1:31:12 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
you''re already spending $1300 on dinner, is another $200 for a cake really such a big deal? I''d do it if this were my really good friend. I just think it''s funny that you''re willing to shell out such a big amount for this, but you won''t put out for a cake.

Take that up with my husband...he''s pulling in the reins on this one. He doesn''t see the point in spending even more money when we really don''t have too and have other options, and I happen to agree...I mean, lets face it, most people don''t spend $1,300 on a wedding gift to begin with, and if I can save $50 bucks, I really should--maybe that makes me cheap, but I have to draw the line somewhere because really, it could be never ending if I really wanted it to be.

It''s wonderful that you''d do it for your friend...but I just can''t justify it. We''re also on vacation, and we have a lot of other expenses while traveling--we''re bring my sister and her boyfriend this year to celebrate their birthdays--so I''m trying to be as fair and reasonable across the board as possible. Not to mention, our other cousin''s husband (who we also really get along with) is turning 30 and since they are coming with us, we''ll be celebrating his birthday as well. So, outside of normal travel expenses, we have 4 big events--and it''s not possible for me to spend it all in one place, I wish i could...I just can''t. This isn''t my event and I have to remember that.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 1:27:51 PM
Author: daleysmom

As I mentioned before, you could ask MB to work with you as far as the look of the cake as well as the size to accomodate that topper. Sorry, but I don''t relish the thought of seeing an awesome topper on a charger plate/platter plopped in the midst of a bunch of random desserts. Doesn''t scream ''wedding'' to me.

You''re spring ~$1300 for dinner for the 12 of you--I cannot fathom why StripSteak and Mandalay Bay wouldn''t try to work with you a bit on the cake issue in order to keep your business all under one roof. I think bringing in a dessert smorgasboard from an outside source is going to be more of a PITA than you realize and probably not that cost effective, but of course I say this without having compared them myself. I''m sure you know best.

You''re right...it doesn''t scream wedding. I guess I''m damned if I do and damned if I don''t. A Vegas wedding cake is to personal, a dessert tray isn''t personal enough. I really think it''s 6 of one, half a dozen of another. I won''t ever know whats the perfect choice...but if I can save myself a little money, I should.

We''re not bringing the dessert to the restaurant. We''re actually going to eat at SS, and then go to 5 Below (vodka is grooms favorite drink--so it''ll be perfect) and then we''re going to a show, Viva Elvis. After the show, we''ll head back to the hotel (according to the bride) to hang out on the patio of the hotel brewery, it''s really beautiful with fire pits and the ambiance is very cool and fun. That''s when we''ll surprise them, have the dessert brought out with a champagne toast.

And, on a side note, I''ve bought many desserts from JPP at the Bellagio, and they always beautiful and super delicious. I have no fears about quality or taste or anything I''d potentially have to fear with the unknown. The staff has been really amazing working with me to come up with a nice selection and they will arrange the platter so that topper isn''t "plopped" down in the middle. If you''ve ever been, you know the quality of their work is really great, and I do have great faith in them.

Italia-

I''m a vegas bride and I can tell you from dealing with Mandalay Bay when they say $110 a person at Stripsteak, it will be much more. Figure $110 (MINIUM) per person (12 ppl), plus additional charges for
beverages, sales tax, gratuity and facility fee (seriously I''ve looked into a lot of these restaurants in the Luxor/ MB area).

So 12 ppl @ $110/ person = $1350
Plus sales tax @ 8.1% = $109.35
Plus mandatory gratuity @ 20% = $291.87
Plus drinks???

Plus a cake maybe? $200?

I don''t know if you have emailed MB about group dining but I really suggest it. Some of the places even have a facility fee. A few places that I liked also had a minimum order amount that I would not be able to reach with my smaller party, even with drinks.

OH another thing, some of the places I saw that the average ticket/ custom meal was $XX per person. When I contacted MB about it, they told me that THAT menu wasn''t available for parties over a certain size and that we would have to order off of a different, higher priced menu.

Just some things to think about. I still haven''t nailed one down.
14.gif
I need to get on that.

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/5/2010 1:08:01 AM
Date: 6/4/2010 1:27:51 PM

Author: daleysmom

As I mentioned before, you could ask MB to work with you as far as the look of the cake as well as the size to accomodate that topper. Sorry, but I don''t relish the thought of seeing an awesome topper on a charger plate/platter plopped in the midst of a bunch of random desserts. Doesn''t scream ''wedding'' to me.

You''re right...it doesn''t scream wedding. I guess I''m damned if I do and damned if I don''t. A Vegas wedding cake is to personal, a dessert tray isn''t personal enough. I really think it''s 6 of one, half a dozen of another. I won''t ever know whats the perfect choice...but if I can save myself a little money, I should.

We''re not bringing the dessert to the restaurant. We''re actually going to eat at SS, and then go to 5 Below (vodka is grooms favorite drink--so it''ll be perfect) and then we''re going to a show, Viva Elvis. After the show, we''ll head back to the hotel (according to the bride) to hang out on the patio of the hotel brewery, it''s really beautiful with fire pits and the ambiance is very cool and fun. That''s when we''ll surprise them, have the dessert brought out with a champagne toast.

And, on a side note, I''ve bought many desserts from JPP at the Bellagio, and they always beautiful and super delicious. I have no fears about quality or taste or anything I''d potentially have to fear with the unknown. The staff has been really amazing working with me to come up with a nice selection and they will arrange the platter so that topper isn''t ''plopped'' down in the middle. If you''ve ever been, you know the quality of their work is really great, and I do have great faith in them.

You know your friend better than anyone. I think she will appreciate anything you do, and I don''t see anything wrong with a topper surrounded by desserts. Not everything has to be traditional, and I think the dessert platter has something for everyone. And I agree that if you can save a little bit of money, why wouldn''t you? Good luck!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2010 2:29:11 AM
Author: swedish bean
Italia-

I''m a vegas bride and I can tell you from dealing with Mandalay Bay when they say $110 a person at Stripsteak, it will be much more. Figure $110 (MINIUM) per person (12 ppl), plus additional charges for

beverages, sales tax, gratuity and facility fee (seriously I''ve looked into a lot of these restaurants in the Luxor/ MB area).

So 12 ppl @ $110/ person = $1350

Plus sales tax @ 8.1% = $109.35

Plus mandatory gratuity @ 20% = $291.87

Plus drinks???

Plus a cake maybe? $200?

I don''t know if you have emailed MB about group dining but I really suggest it. Some of the places even have a facility fee. A few places that I liked also had a minimum order amount that I would not be able to reach with my smaller party, even with drinks.

OH another thing, some of the places I saw that the average ticket/ custom meal was $XX per person. When I contacted MB about it, they told me that THAT menu wasn''t available for parties over a certain size and that we would have to order off of a different, higher priced menu.

Just some things to think about. I still haven''t nailed one down.
14.gif
I need to get on that.

I''m pretty familiar with all the little dings those places get you with...when I hosted a birthday there, I got a major education on all the fees they attach to parties higher than 8. It sucks, but it''s the nature of the beast.

I am going to look into the meal ticket thing, that wasn''t an option last year. The thing is, I know that we have a very picky eater coming along...she''s vegan, and outside of that, extremely particular about what she will/won''t eat...even salads, in my experience, aren''t a one-size-fits-all deal with her. I have to be totally sure that there is something she''ll eat, which is why I''d almost rather her have an entire menu for her to choose from...but I can always talk with MB and then confer with her.

Either way, all will be fine. Thanks for the heads up...we planned to be in the ballpark around $150.00 pp...so if we can keep it right around there, we''re comfortable.

Thanks again, it''s much appreciated!

I think it''s just crazy that a meal that should cost "$1500" ends up almost 60% more after everything :)

I can''t wait to see how it turns out! Please post pictures if you can
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results