shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Pandora!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you are our resident sterling silver expert... would you mind helping me choose a cake cutter/server?

I think I''d like one without decorative engraving on the blade (but I LOVE it on the handle), so that we can do the whole wedding date engraving thing. Suggestions?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 1:31:24 PM
Author:musey
Since you are our resident sterling silver expert... would you mind helping me choose a cake cutter/server?

I think I''d like one without decorative engraving on the blade (but I LOVE it on the handle), so that we can do the whole wedding date engraving thing. Suggestions?
Do you have a round idea of budget?

Are you open to an antique one or do you want brand new? I''ll see what I can find for you...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 5:26:54 PM
Author: Pandora II

Do you have a round idea of budget?

Are you open to an antique one or do you want brand new? I'll see what I can find for you...
Yes yes, antique if possible!

Budget... I guess I don't even know what's reasonable, $25 or $100 or more... It's a pretty important thing to me as I want it to be an heirloom, but I suppose I would ideally not want to spend more than $50. Very flexible, though.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
musey, I was just in NYC and had to pop into Michael C Fina to exchange a wedding gift and was in the silver dept...They have a selection of fine quality sterling pieces and they may have a cake server set, worth asking though I''m sure not cheap at all. But sure to be excellent quality.

You can comb through some of the antique shops in LA for one, probably more reasonabl priced. There''s a shopping area in Larchmont that might have some selection in the shops there, and I think there''s some antique shops in Silver Lake perhaps, that might have. If you really want to get something meaningful, check out some of the antique shops and/or any antique malls in the greater LA area. Also, I dont remember when your wedding is but there''s a huge antique fair in Huntingdon Beach each Fall and they have tons of stuff and you would be able to find one there and have a big selection to boot.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the shop suggestions, Surf! The wedding''s October 4, so I''ll have to check into the Huntington Beach fair to see if it''s before.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here are some nice pieces from UK ebay (I got mine from here).

Number 1 - King''s pattern 1970''s hallmark. Current price is about $30

Number 2 - Matching cake knife and slice - King''s Pattern - Sheffield 1935 or 1960 (can''t see the picture well enough but date letter is ''s'') Current price is about $40

Number 3 - King''s pattern, Sheffield 1976 - Current price is around $9

Number 4 - Brand-new sterling silver wedding cake knife (they will engrave it for you for $10) - current price is about $65

Number 5 - an over the top Victorian one.

It''s well worth keeping an eye out for these on the UK ebay, especially the victorian ones.

I''ll have a look in some of the on-line antique places I sometimes buy from as well.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you SO much, Pandora!

I didn''t even know that eBay had different sites for different countries... it makes sense, I just never thought of it. I love the ones you posted and will have FI take a look at them as well.

Thanks again!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 6:37:42 PM
Author: musey
Thank you SO much, Pandora!

I didn''t even know that eBay had different sites for different countries... it makes sense, I just never thought of it. I love the ones you posted and will have FI take a look at them as well.

Thanks again!
I quite often check out the Italian ebay if I''m after certain things.

I like the UK one as it''s much smaller than the .com one. It''s also great for things like antique jewellery, old english silver and the like! There''s less competition too.

Well there was till I told you guys about it!
9.gif

If your wedding''s not till October, I''d just check every week till you find the perfect one - mine took me about 3 weeks. Most sellers will post to the USA.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so good to know, Pandora... I''ll make sure to check the european sites as well as the US one. Thank you!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
It all depends on how much you want to spend musey. The Gorham Chantilly pattern is very very popular and as such, you would be able to find matching pie/cake servers, as well as other serving pieces, if that is important to you at all.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 12:38:30 PM
Author: surfgirl
It all depends on how much you want to spend musey. The Gorham Chantilly pattern is very very popular and as such, you would be able to find matching pie/cake servers, as well as other serving pieces, if that is important to you at all.
Hmmm... I wish I knew more about this stuff.

Surf, what do you think of these others that are up now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110268287616&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160259689153&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like the second one, the Violet pattern...But for my tastes I prefer really antique items so the Edwardian one that pandora posted above is more my personal preference as it''s very old and unique. But it''s a lot more expensive as well. I think you need to decide if you want a cake knife or a cake server, or a set. One of the links pandora gave (though the auction is over now) was a set and to me, that''s nicer because you get the best of both. Let me look around...Do you have a budget?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 1:24:27 PM
Author: surfgirl
Personally, I like the second one, the Violet pattern...But for my tastes I prefer really antique items so the Edwardian one that pandora posted above is more my personal preference as it's very old and unique. But it's a lot more expensive as well. I think you need to decide if you want a cake knife or a cake server, or a set. One of the links pandora gave (though the auction is over now) was a set and to me, that's nicer because you get the best of both. Let me look around...Do you have a budget?
I prefer the second one, as well. Ideal budget ~$50, but I'll go up to $100 for something special... don't really want to go over $100.

I'm wanting a server or set, the server's the most important as opposed to the knife. Plain blade so we can engrave it and pass it to the next generation.

I'm gonna look at your links now
1.gif
Thank you for digging around for me!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 2:25:25 PM
Author: jcrow
you can also check out replacements.com.

that''s where i found my set. even though it wasn''t old/antique, the pattern was.
Thanks, JCrow! I''d forgotten about that place, it''s one of my mom''s faves.

lloydsbride

Rough_Rock
Things remembered (engraving store) has some really nice sets also

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 11:32:53 PM
Author: lloydsbride
Things remembered (engraving store) has some really nice sets also
Thanks for replying, lb!
35.gif
(and welcome to PS!)

I''m actually looking for something antique or at least antique style, and it MUST be sterling silver. The pieces at Things Remembered are nice enough, but not quite the quality I''m looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results