shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridesmaid Dresses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are in the thick of the hunt for the bridesmaid dresses now that I have my dress.

I am looking for something tea-length (calf) that is not too stiff of a material...want more of a slightly casual flowy feel for the Hawaii climate. My MOH and I are having the hardest time finding cute tea-length dresses that DONT have a tie at the waist or something!! Seems like 9 out of 10 are cute, but have a tie. Considering that 3 of my BM's are over 30 (and my other 2 are my sisters who are younger), I don't know that I'd want to make them wear some bow on the side of their waist like a 15 year old. We all agree they are CUTE, but when you put them on? Not sure yet. Plus the models in the pictures for the gowns look all of 20...so they look appropriate in them.

Anyhow, anyone else choosing their BM gowns yet? Here are some pictures of ones that we are considering...I am taking my MOH in to try some stuff on this weekend and decisions must be made by end of Jan so we can get the orders in! Stress!!

Edited to add that I think out of all of them, the first one is my FAVORITE so far.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is one that my MOH and I really like that doesn't have a strong tie at the waist but instead is more flattering...we love the flowy material and the length, it comes in various colors. Also it looks like something that my friends would wear again, e.g. not your typical BM dress.

This color may work well with the pinky purply and white orchids and green cymbidiums I am thinking of having....but if I can't find a good color then we are just going to use ivory or champagne and stay neutral.

dessy after six A6211_sorbet.jpeg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is one from Siri....I think this would look really cute in Ivory, hard to see but there is some slight detailing on the bodice. Love the ruffle. But again, the darn waist tie!! In this style, I don't think it's girly....but the waist tie is not always flattering to all body shapes...something else I am considering.

siri 5444 bm dress chiffo.jpeg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the tie on the back of this dress but material may be too stiff for my tastes, also color options may not really have what I want. Also no tie on front, woo hoo. This is a potential contender, if we try on other Siri dresses.
2.gif

siri 9645 calf bow organza.jpeg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Saw this one in person at a bridal salon...it's very cute...but again, that tie at the waist!!! Like the simple color thought. Don't know for sure how this would go with my dress also.

watters 1642 white flowers.jpeg

jenny

Rough_Rock
i know they are too long but they are pretty w/ no ties!

1978_ivory.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first one I did see online but it doesn't interest me...the other 2 look like casual wedding dresses.....

AND since my wedding dress is actually quite similar to the last 2 in terms of the loose flowing sheath style (see my wedding dress post a few weeks back)...so the BM dresses have to have more differentiation. I don't want to look like 6 brides, hee hee.
2.gif

jenny

Rough_Rock
true, i did see your dress and i completely forgot! you're right! I guess you should stand out just a little !haha

jenny

Rough_Rock
maybe a shorter and different color of this? can all of your MOH'S wear strapless dresses? because, i know i can't!

5920s.jpg

jenny

Rough_Rock
or this one? i don't know, i'm not having a bridal party but i'm not doing anything at the moment so i'm just trying to give you some ideas!

jhocs035316s.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few of them are somewhat flat chested...we will either get them the padded bras, or also they can always create straps out of ribbons or similar to help hold the dresses up. That would be pretty actually, thicker satin ribbons in ivory or similar maybe in a halter style.
2.gif

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
Mara - My bridesmaids are all in their 30s a well, and the 5 of them come in all shapes and sizes. I didn't want them to wear something that screamed BRIDESMAID or anything w/ nasty, scratchy material. Our wedding is in August, outside, across the street from the beach, so I wanted something "flowy" if that is in fact a word??? I found some beautiful Belsoie two piece dresses in baby blue. There is a sky blue bow at the waist, BUT, it's just attached to the material. The bow can be in the same color as the dress if you want. They come in all sorts of colors, (I loved the shell pink) I thought the price was right ($170)and they are sleeveless but they can wear their own bras -- a plus... I loved the Thread dresses, but they were way to pricey, especially because three of the girls have 2 daughters each in the bridal party as well. I looked for a photo online but I couldn't find this one in particular. Do check out belsoie.com though and good luck.
PS What are your guys wearing?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is the picture from Brides mag (this latest issue) that gave me the real idea for the Guys' attire. My dress is simple and long like the bride's in this picture and we have huge lush green areas like this picture. So I love his black classic suit with a shimmery tie...chances are it will be very similar to what he has on.
2.gif

page from brides mag.jpg

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I vote for the very first dress that you posted, the pink-ish one. I think that style of dress would flatter any body shape. I think anything that's two piece, or resembles a two piece looks good on nearly all body types. I think that's a really nice dress. Anyone of your choices looks great though!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I have to also vote for the first dress - just beautiful!
I think it would complement your dress very well Mara.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think so too Jeni....I am taking my MOH this Sunday to look at a few dresses, that first one is my top choice so far.
1.gif
I just want to be sure that it doesn't 'show up' my simple wedding dress.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one best. The subtle "flow" at the waist is flattering to most figures. Strapless may be a problem for some shapes though. But, definitely have a few try it on.

Also, thinking out of the box since you have time, look through some of the pattern books. I don't know if things have changed; but, most bridesmaids gowns, way back when, were of cheap material, construction & much more expensive than they should have been. I picked a "formal" pattern, bought some nice material & had a seemstres make the gowns according to my bridesmaids measurements. Another thought is a nice top & skirt. The only bridesmaid dress I ever wore again was this. The top (which desinigrated from age) was a very nice designer lace. It was coupled w/ a seemstres made simple skirt (o.k. - moire taffetta - it was all the rage back when). I wore that top to different events w/ black skirts. And, despite the designer label, it was one of the least expensive dresses. Are they still cheaply made today? I had one get wet & the color bleed all over & at the same time the strap broke.

good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
They actually aren't made cheaply..I've had a few in the last few years. Thing is that I never wore a BM dress again, so I'm not really focusing on the girls being able to if they want...but it would be a nice perk. That first dress is definitely something my MOH would wear again to an outdoor lunch or similar..esp in that color. She's blond like the model, good color for her. As for the others, they don't really even wear dresses EVER so they probably wouldn't wear anything again, regardless. The last 2 are my sisters, one of which is 13 so I am afraid that style may be too mature for her...but we'll see. The 'bow' dresses would be perfect for my two sisters who are 13 and 21....but my other maids are all over 30...so don't want them to feel like kids. Hard to figure out.

The strapless thing may be an issue as a few are flat chested, but we can always add straps...that usually is an option on some dresses through the manuf and if not, we can have the seamstress add them during alterations as well. Maybe ribbons would be pretty and island-y.

Lastly, I actually really liked these dresses I saw in an album that my photographer showed us...I had him ask the Bride where she got them and turned out they were off the rack from BCBG...a trendy clothing store that we have here (not sure if its in EC)...but anyhow...I recalled then that I had seen some really cute silk sundress type things last year and actually recall thinking those would be perfect for a wedding dress for me but that it wasn't long enough (I wanted a little train). So the spring line should be out for 04 now....so we are going to check out that store as well. Getting something like that off the rack would be PERFECT and definitely tropical. Plus the silk flowing material would work well with my dress which is the same but heavier.

So we'll see! This weekend is the shopping weekend...hopefully we can get it narrowed down and then bring the others the following weekend to buy. Whew!
rolleyes.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely check out the off the rack, especially if you go to a larger chain that can order in from other stores.

Also, maybe start ordering some catalogs. The spring ones are beginning to come out. Talbots, while traditional, always have classic tasteful dresses that could bridge the gap of the age difference. Maggie London as well. That's tough - 13 to 30. Personally, I like the young looking one. I wouldn't wear it - not my style (and it's not black
wink2.gif
9.gif
); but I have "preppier" friends that would. In person it may not be too young. It could be kinda tropical & refreshing - but I do agree that the color may not go w/ your gown. Also, I know the shops here have their cruise attire in - might be worth a look. Do you definitely want a solid? Because I do see lots of pretty tropical silk or organza silk dresses in prints.

I just remember paying well over $100.00 in the early 80's for the piece of sh*t dress that fell apart. Back then, $100.00 bought a very nice dress. The prettiest BM dresses have been the one's that came from sources other than bridal shops. Funny, my friends *still* talk about the hall of fame one that bled & fell apart. That bride is still my best friend & *still* likes that dress. I was a bridesmaid many o time. It has brought back horror gowns - like the one that made me look like a peasant - uggg! I think brides loose their minds when it comes to the BM gown. Continue to think outside that box.

Will your MOH were the same color, etc as the rest of the bridesmaids? That was an issue in the 80's. All of mine wore the same - only the flowers were different.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay update...we went today to look and this was the top contender (see picture). I loved the back picture of this dress because of the cute straps and the floppy tie. We have one more store to go to (to see the first dress above that we both still really like) on Wed...then we'll make the final decision. But so far this is the #1 choice...

The front is a thick basic halter, not revealing and very elegant casual. The color is a soft 'rose mauve'....very beautiful and appropriate for Hawaii!! The fabric is very flowy silk georgette that lays quite well and flatters all body types. My MOH tried it on also with small strappy heels and it looked great.

The only concern I have right now is my 13 year old sister, I don't want her to look too mature in the dress...so we are considering shortening up hers to knee length to keep it 'younger' and possibly doing the same with my 21 year old sister so that in the pictures, we can place them on either end and have the pictures not look odd (in terms of dress length having only one that is shorter).

There was another cute one but MOH felt too schoolgirl in it..it was a little youngish with a bow at the boob. I thought she looked great though, hee hee. There are two more at this one last store on Wed....but so far this one seems to really fit the bill.

The store also had a wed dress somewhat similar to mine (actually so pretty, I was almost sad I already had bought mine!!), so I tried it on and then stood next to my MOH to see if the dresses looked good together...they did and I have to say that while the dress was amazing on because it had the greatest softest flow (was like an organza silk that draped quite wonderfully)....I think that my actual dress is slightly more elegant with the beading and heavier drape (heavier silk), and will work quite well with this dress and not be overpowered at all--which was my worry with the BM dresses since my dress is far from 'typical'.

We shall see!
1.gif

dr52.jpeg

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
That's a beautiful bridesmaid dress Mara. Very simple, elegant and original. I have a 13-year-old and an 11-year-old in my wedding...still unsure about what they should wear. My bridesmaids dresses don't come in sizes small enough to fit them...they're little! I'm sure I'll figure something out. Good luck making your final decision.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay update..we decided on the rose colored Siri dress that I noted on below with the back halter....the gals will wear strappy small kitten sandals...pref in something like a hotter pink or something for some color flash. Havanianas (our fav flip flop co) makes these adorable kitten heeled rubber flip flops with a flower on the front. SO CUTE. I am thinking of getting those for the gals for the reception.

We tried on a Jim Hjelm one that I had liked before and also the pink Dessy one--the first one in the thread up above.

The Dessy one looks like crap in person. Honestly, we found it and did not believe our eyes. It looks even worse on the body. NOTHING like in the picture. The material was something like grainy feeling polyester and it was a hideous color cornflower blue...I have seen this color in ads as well. The picture looks like the material is more satiny and flowy...NOT SO. This thing was thick, with lining and just looked horrendous both on the rack and on the body.

Definitely a lesson in trusting most-likely photoshopped BM pictures!! What if I had not been able to find the dress to try on and decided to order online since it looked so great in the picture? UH OH!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
On 2/1/2004 1:13:21 PM Mara wrote:

The Dessy one looks like crap in person. Honestly, we found it and did not believe our eyes. It looks even worse on the body. NOTHING like in the picture. The material was something like grainy feeling polyester and it was a hideous color cornflower blue...I have seen this color in ads as well. The picture looks like the material is more satiny and flowy...NOT SO. This thing was thick, with lining and just looked horrendous both on the rack and on the body.
----------------[/quote]

That's what I meant. The truly pretty ones w/ pretty lush feeling fabric are far & few between. I didn't think things would have changed that much. The bottom line is they (the wedding biz) has you hostage. They can get away with that kind of crap if brides don't watch out.
wink2.gif
9.gif

Maybe my computer blipped. Did you post a pic of the front of the dress. Also, would like to see pics of the shoes.

One last question, does anyone do the po-des-swa (forgot how to spell it) shoes died to match the dress? Not appropriate for Hawaii - just curious.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I have a pic of the dress on my MOH but have not downloaded it yet. I have to do that for her at some point soon, so I will cut off her head and post here too.
9.gif
The dress we settled on is a bit pricey for BM...$250 and actually the fabric and quality is quite nice. It's not necessarily your typical BM dress though, and the girls could wear it again for an afternoon wedding or similar elsewhere. Plus the rose color is soft and will look smashing with tans!
2.gif

Shoes...still deciding on but will try to get that picture of the Havaniana heeled flip-flops to post. So cute!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results