clarity

Bridesmaid Dresses?

Which would you choose?

• The charcoal dress

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, ladies!!!

I''m in need of assistance (again...still...hehe)

so I went bridesmaid dress shopping for the first time yesterday with two of my bridesmaids...I found it really difficult to find any that I liked at all, but these were the only two that I felt good about...I wanted to know the following:

1. do you like either of these?
2. if so, which one?

keep in mind, all of my bridesmaids are different shapes and sizes (these two are a demonstration of that), and obviously these girls don''t fit into either of the dresses...

the dresses would be in dark chocolate brown (instead of the gray and black shown)...and btw, the shiny one is not actually shiny in person, but looked that way with my crappy point-and-shoot...

(I''m going to attach pictures with both of the girls wearing both of the dresses)...

any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
For reference, this is the gray gown on a model (for detail purposes)

badgleymischkafall2008.jpg

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
And this is the dress that is black in the pictures above...

jh5930spring2009.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I like the black one better. The gray one looks frumpy to me for some reason.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
and this is my dress (for the thousandth time, lol)--just for reference...
(can you tell I''m obsessed with my dress?)

dress12345a45.JPG

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Hmm tough choice.

I think that the charcoal dress is my favorite of the two. The wide straps on the black one make it seem matronly to me. I do like the pleats though and it seems more like a bridesmaids dress. That fabric appears more elegant in the photo.

I prefer the overall look of the charcoal dress and I love scoop necklines like that one. Not to mention I am a sucker for gathers like those on the top. I'd be worried that your smaller BMs might get sorta lost in it though because its a very flowy, billowy dress.

Which one comes in a darker brown? What material are they made of? It looks like the black one is raw silk or something similar.

What do your BMs think?

ETA: I posted before you were done with pics. After seeing the model shots and your dress I would say the black one wins here. I think it goes with your gown better.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I really really like the black! It is flattering on both of them and later, if they wanted, it would look cute as a cocktail dress should they want to shorten it.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 11:08:45 AM
Author: Clairitek
Hmm tough choice.

I think that the charcoal dress is my favorite of the two. The wide straps on the black one make it seem matronly to me. I do like the pleats though and it seems more like a bridesmaids dress. That fabric appears more elegant in the photo.

I prefer the overall look of the charcoal dress and I love scoop necklines like that one. Not to mention I am a sucker for gathers like those on the top. I''d be worried that your smaller BMs might get sorta lost in it though because its a very flowy, billowy dress.

Which one comes in a darker brown? What material are they made of? It looks like the black one is raw silk or something similar.

What do your BMs think?
thanks for the feedback!!

see, the black one is really not shiny at all like that--it is tissue taffeta (my dress is also taffeta), and actually quite matte in real life...

both dresses come in a dark brown...the gray one comes in more of an espresso (gray undertones) and the black one comes in a warmer, more chocolate-y brown...

did that make sense?

both bridesmaids loved both, so they''re no help
2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I voted the black dress. I think that the charcoal dress looks sloppy and does the bodies no justice (sorry...)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I think the black looks nicer. I''m also in love with tissue taffeta at the moment, so that could be influencing my decision.
1.gif
They could even make it strapless later!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Black, definitely! It looks a little bit more structured, which I think looks nice when they''re all flowy like that on the bottom.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The black one looks more flattering on both ladies while the gray made them look shapeless and washed out.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I like the balck one both of them. I''m don''t think the scoop neck is as flattering on the shorter girl, the square cut makes her features look less rounded.

Also, who is the designer of those dresses. I
30.gif
them!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Black!! I think when it''s actually made to fit each girl, it will look great. But I still think it looks better than the grey one. The taller girl pulls of the grey one ok, but I still like the black one better for both of them, and with your dress.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I chose the black dress. I think it looks the best on both of the girls. I liked the grey one too but I thought that the straps on it made it look almost like a tank top?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the black but wish the material didn''t come across as shiny in the photos. You can see the same thing happens to the dress the model is wearing. Does this dress come in different fabric?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The black seems to be more flattering for a general range of body types... the gray one would look great on perfect 10 bodies only, I''d bet
2.gif

Though they both look somewhat casual, which is not a bad thing, if that''s what you want. Is that what you want? I''d totally wear the grey one to the beach!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 12:30:29 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
I prefer the black but wish the material didn''t come across as shiny in the photos. You can see the same thing happens to the dress the model is wearing. Does this dress come in different fabric?
It likely will not seem so shiny in your pro pics as with a point-and-click camera''s flash.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
oh silly me, I forgot to include the info on the dresses:

grey one is chiffon, Badgley Mischka, Fall 2008 collection...

black one is tissue taffeta, Jim Hjelm Occasions Spring 2009 collection...

Kelli: thank you for your input--and thanks for the compliment on my dress--it''s really one of those dresses where it''s covering up my weak areas
2.gif

Clairtek: I am also a sucker for those gathers at the top of the charcoal, but I agree about the smalller BMs getting lost in it...

sba771: I would, of course, love for the girls to be able to wear the dresses again, but I am not unrealistic about the situation, and know they probably won''t
8.gif

dreamgirl: thanks for your honesty! that''s what I''m here for!

sunnyd: I also love the tissue taffeta that feels nice (a lot of the cheaper gowns feel cheaper to me, tho)

BigDiamonds: I agree about the structured-ness, which I like...did I mention the black one has pockets??? LOVE that! (hehe, my bridal gown has pockets too! my bridesmaids and I say we''re going to hide cheez-its in the pockets in case I get hungry...lol)

chrono: thanks for your input!

meresal: I think you are right about the necklines!

luvthemstrawberries: I think the black one is more flattering too, but I wanted to make sure on here...

redfaerythinker: I see what you''re saying when you look at the grey one from far away--I never thought of that!

CDNinNYC: I don''t mind the shininess that much, but yes, I do think it looks shinier in this picture than it would look in pro photos...I actually like the fabric--and the chocolate brown it comes in I personally think is really pretty and warm...thank you for the input
1.gif

musey: it''s so interesting that you say that because both my mom and my bridesmaid''s mom said that the grey one would be more wearable for the different shapes! I guess they were afraid that the pleats on the black one would add width?
and I didn''t realize that they looked casual...I''m really not going for casual--otherwise I might have done something shorter...hmmm...the grey one I think might look more formal in real life because of the fabric...but now I''m second-guessing the formality of the black one
40.gif

Guilty Pleasure: thanks for your input!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree that the gray dresses aren''t your best choice (imo). They''re empire-ish and that style doesn''t usually work unless you''re slender and long.

My vote is for the black :)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Alli
35.gif
! I vote for the black one. I think it''s more flattering, and I feel like it echoes your dress a little more. The tissue taffeta sounds really pretty, and I think it will look so rich and lovely in chocolate brown.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 2:32:24 PM
Author: alli_esq
musey: it''s so interesting that you say that because both my mom and my bridesmaid''s mom said that the grey one would be more wearable for the different shapes! I guess they were afraid that the pleats on the black one would add width?

and I didn''t realize that they looked casual...I''m really not going for casual--otherwise I might have done something shorter...hmmm...the grey one I think might look more formal in real life because of the fabric...but now I''m second-guessing the formality of the black one

40.gif
I''m so sorry! I didn''t mean to cause second-guessing. I should explain.

The black one seems more flattering to a wide variety of shapes because of the natural waist. An empire waist (like the charcoal dress) is very hit-or-miss... looks great on some body types, very unflattering on others.

My comment on them looking casual is about the shape, not the fabric (since a picture really does not communicate the fabric look well), though I''ll admit that the charcoal one, when I first saw it, looked like jersey to me. Neither of them are very structured, and the gathering/ruching (esp. on the straps of the grey) is a casual look to me, but that may be a personal thing from my own fashion experience and wouldn''t necessarily be true for others. They''re sort of free-flowing grecian style which to me says "garden or beach wedding" as opposed to "church or banquet hall wedding."

BUT, all that said, all I have to go off are these pictures, which are honestly not the most telling. You should use your own eyes and your bridesmaids'' opinions to make a decision, because so much can be lost in translation when posting pics on a forum!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the black out of the two of them. I think that it looks better on both of them.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
The black one most definitely, they both look better in it.

And I think it goes really well with your dress. Same sort of style.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the darker dress, but I have to say I don't like really love that one. I think those straps are not very flattering for anyone who has any extra meat on their arms (can you tell I'm thinking of myself, here?) and those pleats in the front are a great design touch, but they do add bulk to the stomach area immediately below the waist.

I'm sorry to be negative! Your wedding dress is stunning, by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results